Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Romance is totally not my thing, but I really adore Tsuki Ga Kirei's low-key, awkward, but surprisingly heartwarming romance. This an incredible show and

Lemon-Lime posted:

It deserves :siren:s in the OP.

e: Oh god I just noticed that it's being directed by Seiji Kishi and my mind is in turmoil. He's basically Japan's Shyamalan but without the rear end-pulling.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

e: Oh god I just noticed that it's being directed by Seiji Kishi and my mind is in turmoil. He's basically Japan's Shyamalan but without the rear end-pulling.

He's a null set? :confused:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kishi is a good director who 90% of the time when he makes a bad show it's an adaption with half the episodes it should have

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What the hell is studio White Fox up to?
It's been 6 months now since Re: Zero ended and I'm dying for at least an OVA or hints of season 2. Anime fans don't know what they're missing.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

It's been 6 months now since Re: Zero ended and I'm dying for at least an OVA or hints of season 2. Anime fans don't know what they're missing.

Between Virgin Souls(2 cours) and Re:Creator, the Fantasy slot is beeing very well represented this season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

the anime caught up with the LN so you won't see a second season for a while.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

kishi is a good director who 90% of the time when he makes a bad show it's an adaption with half the episodes it should have

Counterpoint: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15752

He also did a pretty bad job with the various DanganRonpa shows.

Also Angel Beats is still good despite having half the episodes it should have.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He directed Humanity Has Declined which cancels out anything bad he did.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

He directed Humanity Has Declined which cancels out anything bad he did.

He will only be redeemed to me if he makes another season of HHD.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That's not up to him lol

Anyway tsuki ga kirei rules

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

the anime caught up with the LN so you won't see a second season for a while.
An OVA showing the epilogue of arc 3 wouldn't cut it? How is the studio going to explain Rem's magical coma?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Angel Beats, YuYuYu series, and Carnival Phantasm are all fantastic from a directing angle, and framework and energy is the one thing I remember from Hamatora.

ViggyNash posted:

He's basically Japan's Shyamalan but without the rear end-pulling.

but without the 'being a writer' or any of the other attributes that would make this a functioning analogy*

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ah, they animated the ending to nyaruko?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Satana's VA was a very good choice for her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Satana's VA was a very good choice for her.

Yeah, she really brought a ton of energy to the character.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Also Angel Beats is still good despite having half the episodes it should have.

it's also super obvious that its faults are caused or exaggerated by being a single cour, which is his usual issue.

Grouchio posted:

An OVA showing the epilogue of arc 3 wouldn't cut it? How is the studio going to explain Rem's magical coma?

i don't see much point in them covering that without more to follow it up. so best case we wait however many years it takes to publish enough WN material as LNs.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Angel beats is a 10/10 anime

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

i don't see much point in them covering that without more to follow it up. so best case we wait however many years it takes to publish enough WN material as LNs.
Fortunately roughly half of the 4th arc has been translated from WN to LN volumes, and I would expect all of act 4 to be translated before Christmas. Meaning that season 2 may come next year. Still it's irritating to be unable to talk about arc 4 with anyone when it's such a godamn amazing arc.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Re:Poo

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whoever designed those fortifications was either a very bad architect or a very good salesman

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tamba posted:

Whoever designed those fortifications was either a very bad architect or a very good salesman

"Oh no, I dropped a coin. Better jog across town and fetch it!"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im the useless double wall on the left

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tamba posted:

Castle walls atop cliffs were actually a pretty common thing, and you can see a lot of them in a Google image search. Cliffs are huge blind spots that may be a little more climbable than you might hope, so a dozen or so metres of smooth stone topped with murder-holes at the top are a pretty sensible safety precaution.

That said, I have no goddamned idea what's up with that random wall pointing directly into the town.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 24, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

Castle walls atop cliffs were actually a pretty common thing, and you can see a lot of them in a Google image search. Cliffs are huge blind spots that may be a little more climbable than you might hope, so a dozen or so metres of smooth stone topped with murder-holes at the top are a pretty sensible safety precaution.

That said, I have no goddamned idea what's up with that random wall pointing directly into the town.

But why is the castle, presumably the most valuable location in the entire city both economically and strategically, positioned outside of the fortifications?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

im the useless double wall on the left

Maybe that's a prison?

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe that links the wall to the barracks?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

But why is the castle, presumably the most valuable location in the entire city both economically and strategically, positioned outside of the fortifications?

I'd assume it has its own walls, which we can't see at this distance. It's a pretty classic motte-and-bailey setup.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Fortunately roughly half of the 4th arc has been translated from WN to LN volumes, and I would expect all of act 4 to be translated before Christmas. Meaning that season 2 may come next year. Still it's irritating to be unable to talk about arc 4 with anyone when it's such a godamn amazing arc.

From what I've heard though (watched the show, haven't read), the adaption skipped lots of the setup for arc 4 that had been in arc 3 in order to finish in time, which would probably make things a little difficult for them, though I have no idea to what extent. I'm aware they ended the show without showing what happened immediately afterwards, but that can presumably just happen in the first episode. Flashing back to retroactively introduce characters who should've shown up earlier or whatever it is they'll end up having to do will presumably be a bit more trouble.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Romance is totally not my thing, but I really adore Tsuki Ga Kirei's low-key, awkward, but surprisingly heartwarming romance. This an incredible show and

ok

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Directors can work on good things and also bad things.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Cliffs are huge blind spots that may be a little more climbable than you might hope,

Especially if your a tiger man

Whoops spoilers

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you mean i'm going to eventually become a tiger man??? poo poo, for the first time in my life i wish i had avoided spoilers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

iunno what in kishi's oeuvre would even compare him to shymalan. he's worked on good comedies, some middling game adaptations, and yuki yuna. and i havent seen assassination classroom but i never heard any complaints about the anime from manga fans, so im assuming that was decent too.

I guess Angel Beats? But angel beats had great comic timing and some good use of color/lighting, and he wasn't the one who wrote it, so if anything Angel Beats is a showcase for the things he does well.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 24, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*watching astro fighter sunred* this is exactly like the happening

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's the kinda recent one-two punch of Hamatora and Ranpo Kitan, which were shows that didn't hit visually or in terms of story, and he's attached toi think every single Hamatora animation project. but yeah the dude has some serious high points on his resume as well so it seems pointless to carry around a strong opinion either way.

Grouchio posted:

try the LN or WN threads?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

there's the kinda recent one-two punch of Hamatora and Ranpo Kitan, which were shows that didn't hit visually or in terms of story, and he's attached toi think every single Hamatora animation project. but yeah the dude has some serious high points on his resume as well so it seems pointless to carry around a strong opinion either way.

try the LN or WN threads?
We have those? Where?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

We have those? Where?

i may have missed the LN thread or it's dead/never existed
WN thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793167

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Most people work on things that are somewhat above average or somewhat below average and usually fit within range of a personal average.

Kishi works on things that end up being either pretty good or (mostly) pretty bad, barely any middle ground.

Shymalan is that but even more extreme. He never makes anything middling, it's either really good or utter garbage.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
"These directors both make things that I think are sometimes good, and sometimes bad" is like the most meaningless comparison ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Most people work on things that are somewhat above average or somewhat below average and usually fit within range of a personal average.

Kishi works on things that end up being either pretty good or (mostly) pretty bad, barely any middle ground.

Shymalan is that but even more extreme. He never makes anything middling, it's either really good or utter garbage.
this is what tvtropes does to your brain

• Locked thread