Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Control is dead

All hail midrange

All hail MaRo's vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mark Rosewater posted:

Grave Scrabbler didn't fit with how we were doing madness in Shadows over Innistrad block (and was a little stronger than we wanted).

it's okay guys, we've been saved from the mighty grave scrabbler http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-talking-part-1-2017-04-24

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

man now there's no reason for me to read that like 400 page book about Gush

really feeling for Stephen Menendian

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 24, 2017

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
At this point, I can only assume that the measures put into place after Caw-Blade were meant to ensure they would only weaken decks rather than destroy them, and their process simply won't allow them to kill Standard decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

At this point, I can only assume that the measures put into place after Caw-Blade were meant to ensure they would only weaken decks rather than destroy them, and their process simply won't allow them to kill Standard decks.

Instead they just kill Standard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably not sneaking into Copycat?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

With all the artifact hate in Amonkhet I don't think that Vehicle decks are still going to be able to go toe-to-toe with Saheeli decks. I'm pretty sure that the format is going to devolve into Saheeli/Cat decks and decks that try and fail to beat it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'd rather Control be dead than let Divining Top live, and I wish they'd ban it from Vintage for logistics reasons too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Welp, feeling vindicated in my decision to not get any amonkhet cards. See you after the pro tour.

Condolences to legacy players, should have been terminus.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Wait I thought people were generally of the opinion that Miracles was a stupid deck given how dominant it had become, and that it going away would be healthy for the format? Or was the argument that it should just lose Terminus because of how overpowered that one card is in that shell, and losing it wouldn't completely kill the deck?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Whole lotta bad opinions it today. Top ban was years overdue, and the handwringing in here about standard is just precious. :allears:

In other news they've tried fixing the go to combat shortcut:

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/24/policy-changes-for-amonkhet/

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Wait I thought people were generally of the opinion that Miracles was a stupid deck given how dominant it had become, and that it going away would be healthy for the format? Or was the argument that it should just lose Terminus because of how overpowered that one card is in that shell, and losing it wouldn't completely kill the deck?

Magic players complain because they want bans, then complain because they HAD bans. nothing of new

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Whole lotta bad opinions it today. Top ban was years overdue, and the handwringing in here about standard is just precious. :allears:

"Standard is still hosed" = handwringing, gotcha

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What happened today was fine and good. Top had to go years ago and DRS will be next which is also fine. As far as standard, there are ways to attack the cat combo in AHK so people are gonna have to do some different things. I don't think the PT is just going to be all cat decks. That being said, I would be SHOCKED if the Cat combo makes it 2 full years in standard...

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

How is complaining about standard still being bad handwringing? Does disliking something disqualify you from wanting it to get better?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

So if I'm reading this right, the big tradeoff here is more-or-less NAP gets priority first in the beginning of combat step - the onus is on them to reveal their action (if any) first.

Notably, now you should always say "combat?" before crewing your vehicles or activating manlands - your opponent has to decide if they want to do something before you attack, without knowing whether or not you were intending on activating them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
And because of the IQ changes and with PPTQs being hosed over with standard, not a single modern competitive tournament on the schedule for months to come. The only options seem to be the opens in may and vegas in June. Great time for magic.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I wonder if SCG is regretting putting all their eggs into the Standard basket.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ThePeavstenator posted:

How is complaining about standard still being bad handwringing? Does disliking something disqualify you from wanting it to get better?

Who says I wouldn't want it to get better? But all this "standard is hosed" overblown whining is exemplary. It didn't get much better with the last bannings as I recall and to write off an entire new set as irrelevant is, unless you've been testing yourself, also classic for this type of player.

Just a reminder, when they last made standard bans they said "we don't usually do this so just because we did recently don't expect more soon." I could totally see them go another five years without one no matter how much people tiresomely chatter about it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

It feels like something like a third of their streamed tournaments are modern nowadays.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Who says I wouldn't want it to get better? But all this "standard is hosed" overblown whining is exemplary. It didn't get much better with the last bannings as I recall and to write off an entire new set as irrelevant is, unless you've been testing yourself, also classic for this type of player.

Just a reminder, when they last made standard bans they said "we don't usually do this so just because we did recently don't expect more soon." I could totally see them go another five years without one no matter how much people tiresomely chatter about it.

It didn't get much better because they introduced a loving easy infinite combo after they banned the last big combo piece, how is this hard for you to understand?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Why did they kill off Block Constructed anyway?

edit:or if not why don't they promote it more

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

Why did they kill off Block Constructed anyway?

Because it was not a very exciting format at the best of times due to the limited cardpool and it was solved within like a day.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It didn't get much better with the last bannings as I recall
People legit blamed the bans for creating the current two horse race. "At least with Emrakul around we had three competitive decks! :qq:"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

you'd have to look at the attendance records of legacy vs. standard vs. modern events, which really who wants to do all that

either way being the biggest promoter of MTG tournaments around, they're prob still making some money of it or else why bother doing all that

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because it was not a very exciting format at the best of times due to the limited cardpool and it was solved within like a day.

Yea block constructed is invariably a lovely format.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jabor posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the big tradeoff here is more-or-less NAP gets priority first in the beginning of combat step - the onus is on them to reveal their action (if any) first.

Notably, now you should always say "combat?" before crewing your vehicles or activating manlands - your opponent has to decide if they want to do something before you attack, without knowing whether or not you were intending on activating them.

Yeah this is like really hugely important to understand at this point, I think...

quote:

Among the things you’d ideally like to accommodate:

1) It needs to be friendly to non-native English speakers. Having to parse the difference between “I pass priority in Combat” and “I pass priority into Combat” is not something we want in a global game.
2) It needs to prevent players taking advantage of ambiguity to be able to claim that they’re still in their main phase after the non-active player’s action has been resolved.
3) It needs to prevent the active player from forcing the non-active player to act first when they shouldn’t have to (relevant for Mutavault/Cryptic Command scenarios)
4) It needs to accommodate the non-active player having floating mana.
5) It needs to let the active player crew or activate creature-lands at the intuitive time.
6) It shouldn’t be too punitive on missing beginning of combat triggers unless the player really had gone past that point.
7) It needs to reflect that non-active players may want to remove the source of triggers before combat.
8) It needs to avoid “Combat”, “pass”, “declare attacks”, “wait, I want to do something first”
9) It should be short to express and intuitive to understand.

This gets us everything above except for #3 (you can bait priority now, though not if the non-active player is very careful), #8 (the double pass can, and technically always does, happen) and it’s arguable whether we achieved shortness. It’s not the cleanest approach, but it’s compatible with how people actually play the game and minimizes the gotchas. Wordy but invisible is an acceptable outcome!

What they don't describe is how the NAP can be "Very careful" and avoid getting baited.

Additionally, I don't understand WHY #8 is something the shortcut needs to get around exactly.

This is just another one of those times where I really want to understand what I need to do to avoid getting gotcha'd by some random spike in more competitive environment because doing some minor mess-up in this complex game feels really stupid when the person at the other side of the table has every little thing on lockdown because they want to angle shoot as much as possible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

How do you know standard is bad? You don't even know what the new format is going to look like.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I want to see someone run Anointed Procession with Beefslab, Ally of Zendikar.

It's probably not worth a card slot but hey.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

How do you know standard is bad? You don't even know what the new format is going to look like.

We know the format is going to look like the previous format with one new set stapled on. No sets are leaving, cat combo stays, Gideon stays.

This set has no cards that upend a major dominant deck and I think it actually might've given it some more new tools. New cards will find their way into current decks, at least one new deck will probably get made, that deck is not going to overturn the cat combo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

[Half serious] Because Ally Gideon is legal.

Like I've said before, if they didn't ban anything the first opportunity they had, they'd look irresponsible and clueless if they did now.

I'm not optimistic, and think they're just delaying the inevitable, but some of the whining is just vapid.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
RIP the only remaining good deck

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Control is dead

All hail midrange turn 1 combos

All hail MaRo's vision

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Could you dears point me towards good resources for newbies looking to collapse under peer pressure break into the game? Assume I'm starting from almost zero. I didn't find anything in the OP but this might not even be the right thread.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Could you dears point me towards good resources for newbies looking to collapse under peer pressure break into the game? Assume I'm starting from almost zero. I didn't find anything in the OP but this might not even be the right thread.

Before I go ape here, what's your immediate goal? Playing with friends at the kitchen table, playing with strangers at game stores? Also, how would you define your immediate budget range?

Edit: also, do you want to play in real life, with strangers on the internet, or both?

redux
Apr 23, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Yeah this is like really hugely important to understand at this point, I think...

What they don't describe is how the NAP can be "Very careful" and avoid getting baited.

Additionally, I don't understand WHY #8 is something the shortcut needs to get around exactly.

This is just another one of those times where I really want to understand what I need to do to avoid getting gotcha'd by some random spike in more competitive environment because doing some minor mess-up in this complex game feels really stupid when the person at the other side of the table has every little thing on lockdown because they want to angle shoot as much as possible.

My guess is that that the NAP is just clear on which phase they are in, "do you pass to me in beginning of combat" or whatever. There is probably a less clunky way to make it clear but that's what occurred to me when I was reading.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Before I go ape here, what's your immediate goal? Playing with friends at the kitchen table, playing with strangers at game stores? Also, how would you define your immediate budget range?

Strictly casual games with friends/I think collecting WH40K minis is a worthwhile use of my money

Edit: real-life

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Strictly casual games with friends/I think collecting WH40K minis is a worthwhile use of my money

https://www.isleofcards.com/magic-the-gathering-beginner-guide

This is a very solid "understand pretty much everything you need to understand about the actual game" article, to start with.

Give me a minute for more information than this.

So there are a number of ways to begin actually PLAYING the game, including making completely casual jank decks with cheap cards you get at a game store that look fun to you, to "netdecking" (finding a list online and copying it) budget lists that conform to various formats (which are described in that article I linked), to purchasing pre-made decks and jamming them against each other to learn the game better and figuring out how you might want to change things.

The Duel Decks are kinda fun in that way, in that they aren't strictly overpowered and are usually designed to be somewhat equally matched. An issue I have with them is that they are pretty inconsistent due to the design of the decks themselves.

If you are used to longer multiplayer games in other games you've played, you could get pre-made Commander/EDH decks and just slam those for awhile, and then swap cards in as you learn about them and think they look neat.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 24, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The main problem with the cat is not is it going to be the absolute best deck, but moreso that it makes other decks completely unviable, because they can't always deal with a turn 4 combo on the draw. With Cat gone we would see G/B Ishkanah based decks hose Mardu vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Don't