Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Aizen had a motivation and back story, but we never got to see it, because Tite was too busy writing lovely zombie fights, bad zenpachi rehash fights and the occasional good bit.

So I guess I think Zeref is better, but he shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's not very difficult to be better than Aizen.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Crazyeyes posted:

The greatest insult is to the reader.

This. Mashima, how long will you abuse our patience?

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
I was really enjoying Fairy Tail for a long, long time, but this Zeref and Mavis stuff is so boring.

It's a real bummer that the comic has essentially not left itself anyway out other than one upping attacks. It's shonen manga but it doesn't have to be this way, does it?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Aizen atleast was consistent chapter to chapter. Zeref appears to have a completely different personality every cutback. Which wouldn't be bad, but it's hard to tell if that's on purpose.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Harry posted:

Aizen atleast was consistent chapter to chapter. Zeref appears to have a completely different personality every cutback. Which wouldn't be bad, but it's hard to tell if that's on purpose.

It's on purpose. It's spelled out pretty clearly.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

It's on purpose. It's spelled out pretty clearly.

I remember it being spelled out clearly, but then I forgot what was spelled out because...Fairy Tail.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

I remember it being spelled out clearly, but then I forgot what was spelled out because...Fairy Tail.

Basically, he's constantly switching between contradictory ideas as a way of coping with a curse that causes the people around him to die if he values human life too much.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Basically, he's constantly switching between contradictory ideas as a way of coping with a curse that causes the people around him to die if he values human life too much.

Honestly, Fairy Tail would be much better if it was about punching the hosed up gods who bestow such curses. Natsu finds out Zeref is his brother, learns what's going on from the first, dragon punches god in their smug loving face. Fin.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Honestly, Fairy Tail would be much better if it was about punching the hosed up gods who bestow such curses. Natsu finds out Zeref is his brother, learns what's going on from the first, dragon punches god in their smug loving face. Fin.

I used to assume that after they beat up Zeref they would go to the realm of the gods and beat up Ankhseram. It would give the God Slayers a chance to shine for once. Stuff like the "Fairy Tail memories" covers make it clear that this is going to be the last arc, though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Silver2195 posted:

I used to assume that after they beat up Zeref they would go to the realm of the gods and beat up Ankhseram. It would give the God Slayers a chance to shine for once. Stuff like the "Fairy Tail memories" covers make it clear that this is going to be the last arc, though.

Based on the Fairy Tail Memories covers, this series will end in July, August at the latest.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hopefully. I feel like we're running out of gas and we don't need another mug shot parade of people to be punched then forgotten.

It really bothers me realizing I am enjoying the last arc of Fairy Tail more than the last arc of Bleach. Fairy Tail is such a joke manga, but it isn't crapping its pants every other week and then whining about how it isn't allowed to pace its pants-crapping how it wants to. At least this Zeref thing sort of makes sense? In a Fairy Tail way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Silver2195 posted:

who?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ankhseram, the god of life and death, who gave Zeref the Curse of Contradiction in the first place as a punishment for trying to resurrect Natsu.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Wait, do we know for sure this is the last arc, or is that an assumption?

It was looking to me like there was at least one arc left, presumably involving Acnologia. Which is a drag, I wanted Zeref to be the last boss, which seems increasingly unlikely. :negative: Barring some kind of editor tap on the shoulder I can't imagine Mashima intentionally ending the manga without Natsu punching Acnologia's face off after such an obvious setup. Doesn't seem like there'll be time this arc, so..

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Seems to me like this arc will deal with them both at once, and given that this is Fairy Tail it'll probably entail Natsu fire punching both of them at some point. Ideally, it'd be him punching Zeref so hard he flies in to Acnologia, but it does seem like he'll deal with Zeref and then Acnologia for the moment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

It really bothers me realizing I am enjoying the last arc of Fairy Tail more than the last arc of Bleach. Fairy Tail is such a joke manga, but it isn't crapping its pants every other week and then whining about how it isn't allowed to pace its pants-crapping how it wants to. At least this Zeref thing sort of makes sense? In a Fairy Tail way.

The biggest indictment of Bleach is the fact that I followed it until literally 2 chapters before the end and just never got around to reading those last two chapter and don't even plan to. I think once I realized it was ending in such a short amount of time I gave up all remaining hope of a decent conclusion and said "gently caress it" and stopped reading.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty sure the last chapter of Bleach was just handing out official ship status and ineffectively implying something else might happen with the next generation. Like if Naruto ended with the Boruto set up but there was no continuation.

The chapter before that you can just insert whatever asspull to get the war wrapped up you want and it can't be any worse than what happened.

Congratulations, you've now finished Bleach.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

The biggest indictment of Bleach is the fact that I followed it until literally 2 chapters before the end and just never got around to reading those last two chapter and don't even plan to. I think once I realized it was ending in such a short amount of time I gave up all remaining hope of a decent conclusion and said "gently caress it" and stopped reading.

If you were smart you'd have given up hope for a decent conclusion long before that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you were smart you'd have given up hope for a decent conclusion long before that.

Yes but I was still curious about what would happen with Aizen. Once I figured out the answer was definitely "nothing much" I lost all interest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for the entire run of the manga, readers were asking "hey, what's up with urahara? that dude has gotta be up to something." as it turned out, the answer to that was also "nothing much", and then he died off-panel.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's pretty clear Kubo stopped giving a poo poo towards the end. His open distaste for WSJ's management is pretty clear.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

New chapter up.

Looks like Lucy now has the Curse of Publication which will cause her to disappear for months on hiatus. :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Our long forgettable nightmare will apparently be ending in 10-11 chapters if the translated author's note from the latest published volume is true.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I feel a bit odd in that I don't hate Fairy Tail. I find it very meh and really forgettable most of the time, but with occasional spikes of fun that keep me around. I'm probably going to get lacerated for this, but I kept reading Fairy Tail for years, even when I dropped other manga near their conclusions (I dropped Naruto about 10 chapters from the end when Kakashi gave his eye to someone in a dream but they had it in reality or something really dumb) and have never bothered to finish it. I've even kept reading it and dropped objectively better manga like My Hero Academia, which I binge read every few months but mostly just found competent but kind of dull. Fairy Tail's stupidity has a charm I guess. That or it's simple time investment, since I was reading it a lot longer than MHA but never felt it got insulting dumb like Naruto or regularly boring for long stretches like Bleach.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

I feel a bit odd in that I don't hate Fairy Tail. I find it very meh and really forgettable most of the time, but with occasional spikes of fun that keep me around. I'm probably going to get lacerated for this, but I kept reading Fairy Tail for years, even when I dropped other manga near their conclusions (I dropped Naruto about 10 chapters from the end when Kakashi gave his eye to someone in a dream but they had it in reality or something really dumb) and have never bothered to finish it. I've even kept reading it and dropped objectively better manga like My Hero Academia, which I binge read every few months but mostly just found competent but kind of dull. Fairy Tail's stupidity has a charm I guess. That or it's simple time investment, since I was reading it a lot longer than MHA but never felt it got insulting dumb like Naruto or regularly boring for long stretches like Bleach.

You have permission to like the titty.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

chumbler posted:

I, too, liked Fairy Tail's charm.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

I hardly need it. Besides, if all I wanted was titty manga I'd have kept reading Prison School, rather than dropping it after 5 chapters because the humor didn't work for me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I think the key to Fairy Tail's enjoyability despite the stupidity is the fast pacing. It usually doesn't stall like Bleach (although it did for the last few chapters).

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Fairy tail is nowhere near as bad as some people like to claim it is. Bleach was very occasionally enjoyable towards the end of its run when it just let itself go and went super dumb. Fairy tail is that all the time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sharktamer posted:

Fairy tail is nowhere near as bad as some people like to claim it is. Bleach was very occasionally enjoyable towards the end of its run when it just let itself go and went super dumb. Fairy tail is that all the time.

One of Fairy Tail's biggest strengths is that when Hiro doesn't like where the story is going he'll wrap it right the gently caress up. Other manga will write themselves into a bad place and then try and figure a way out. Hiro at least has the wherewithal to say, gently caress it, Natsu punched the the story arc away, and the skill to have the reader roll with it. It keeps Fairy Tail from dropping down into the poo poo show zone that plagued Bleach and even touches good manga. Even if it also means that Fairy Tail is never going to be great.

For instance One Piece got into a bit of a drag in Dressrosa with side characters not working out and things generally just not gelling like they normally do. Hiro would have just said gently caress this, Luffy just punches everything and we have a party, gently caress it, we're not coming back to this island anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I kind of want a mid-chapter page of Natsu arguing with Hiro through the fourth wall Animal Man style and then just punching him till he lands in a new arc he approves of now.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

One of Fairy Tail's biggest strengths is that when Hiro doesn't like where the story is going he'll wrap it right the gently caress up. Other manga will write themselves into a bad place and then try and figure a way out. Hiro at least has the wherewithal to say, gently caress it, Natsu punched the the story arc away, and the skill to have the reader roll with it. It keeps Fairy Tail from dropping down into the poo poo show zone that plagued Bleach and even touches good manga. Even if it also means that Fairy Tail is never going to be great.

For instance One Piece got into a bit of a drag in Dressrosa with side characters not working out and things generally just not gelling like they normally do. Hiro would have just said gently caress this, Luffy just punches everything and we have a party, gently caress it, we're not coming back to this island anyway.

Mashima basically admitted in the same note where he announced Fairy Tail's end that he was writing whatever he felt like. He was very focused on the narrative in Rave, and FT was just doing whatever he felt like.

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/861946007503880192

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

Where is it clear that this happened? I cannot remember anything about Fairy Tail.

Like, the arc with the edgy dark guild that Grey infiltrated seemed like it got mopped up insanely quick.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
To be honest, I can't remember specific arcs where it happened, because Fairy Tail. However I remember there being several times when thing seemed to suddenly resolve themselves because Mashima got tired of it. The guild Grey was infiltrating was one of them.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I'll probably give Fairy Tail a full re-read once it finishes up, and I have to admit that I'm actually looking forward to remembering what the gently caress happened for most of this manga.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

Mashima basically admitted in the same note where he announced Fairy Tail's end that he was writing whatever he felt like. He was very focused on the narrative in Rave, and FT was just doing whatever he felt like.

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/861946007503880192

I always found the romance is Fairy tail oddly charming and I would to see him write a non action manga.

I'm saying I have low standards for romance stuff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So the "cliff hanger" for the latest chapter has got to be the least suspenseful cliffhanger ever.

Zeref uses a flame attack against Natsu, will this be the time that Natsu is defeated by fire!?

Obviously the answer is no.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jellal dies, Zeref dies, Natsu dies, happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

Jellal dies, Zeref dies, Natsu dies, happy ending.
Then Mavis pulls off her mask to reveal...Jellal

• Locked thread