Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I get that the idea was that Nora is reliving past trauma, but even with that in mind the episode really had a bit of a "been here, done that" feeling to me.

It's still an hour devoted to Carrie Coon so its not the worst thing in the world.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
The introduction of that other Chief Kevin was very reminiscent of the Twin Peaks movie when they introduced the town of Dear Meadow which was basically Twin Peaks with everything good about it turned lovely.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I thought the conversation between Tommy and Nora was just... cold. 'I left her for my father. I didn't even know who you were.' Like, ouch.

I do think it's kind of funny that from the speculation from last week of where's Lily/where's Erika/how'd Nora get the cast? the answers are all kind of just mundane.

And again they hit the tie-in throughout the seasons; season 1 all of the Perfect Strangers cast departed, season 2 they found Mark Linn-Baker hiding out in Mexico, this episode he's the one that contacts Nora.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I thought the conversation between Tommy and Nora was just... cold. 'I left her for my father. I didn't even know who you were.' Like, ouch.

Felt the same, which is odd since their interaction started so warmly. And it's even worse, he says "I didn't even know you existed" or something, which felt way harsher than he needed to be

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I wonder if we're going to get a new theme song every episode or if we're getting the Perfect Strangers theme every week

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I've told you this before, but I can't help but genuinely laugh when I see or think of your username + avatar :allears:

Never change.

I don't believe you have, but thanks!

Perfect Strangers has kind of been a running joke with me since I trolled an AOL chat room in the 90s called The Writers Lounge. I claimed my book The Perfect Strangers Definitive Episode Guide: From Mypos to Chicago and back had been picked up by a publisher. Looking back the concept was stupid but 15 year old me had a lot of fun with it.

I got other people in on the joke and the pinnacle was when a friend of mine ended up teaching ESL to Korean Soldiers while he was stationed there and taught them that "Don't be ridiculous!" was popular American slang. I'd like to think for a while at least, there were a bunch of Korean soldiers running around imitating Balki.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I assume we'll be back to whatever the standard theme song will be for the rest of the season next week, that Lindelof couldn't resist trolling people who were waiting to see what would happen with the third season credits after the wildly different versions of season 1 and 2 and then skipping the credits altogether with the first episode of season 3.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, Lindsay Duncan. I loving love you, and you're already pretty good in the role, but your accent needs work.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 24, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Lindsey Duncan was on a BBC miniseries called Perfect Strangers

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

THE LEFTOVERS IS THE GREATEST SHOW ON TELEVISION

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Why haven't they addressed the Trump issue yet? That would be a good tie in that could explain the disappearances

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

If they nail this season it'll be my favorite ever made

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AHAHAHAHAHA holy poo poo Lindelof is the greatest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTQOPbDD3cZ/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Why haven't they addressed the Trump issue yet? That would be a good tie in that could explain the disappearances

I like TV as a place to escape the news for the most part.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

AHAHAHAHAHA holy poo poo Lindelof is the greatest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTQOPbDD3cZ/

Is that actually him? He left Twitter because of how much poo poo people gave him over the finale still.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is that actually him? He left Twitter because of how much poo poo people gave him over the finale still.

yes it is actually him

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Carrie Coon will never reveal the Wu-Tang secret.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

read in i think the NYTimes review that Nora's DSD boss says "she's goin'" to his co-worker once he gets off the phone with her about her going to St. Louis. continuity error or some weird foreshadowing?

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 24, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Escobarbarian posted:

read in i think the NYTimes review that Nora's DSD boss says "she's goin'" to his co-worker once he gets off the phone with her about her going to St. Louis. continuity error or some weird foreshadowing?

Why continuity error? The coworker likely was able to piece together that Nora asked for the funding.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm no scientist... but I think he meant St. Louis

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It probably was a little foreshadowing cause I thought the same thing. But it really doesn't matter. If it was foreshadow we can smug the gently caress out later but if it's not nobody cares.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
hi thread

I will watch the remaining 6 episodes, but episode 2 was just... real bad. Is anyone still taking this show seriously after the wu tang trampoline scene? That was the dumbest thing I have seen in ages. We couldn't stop laughing during the whole thing, but not in a good way.

It's just like the worst episodes of lost right now. It's boring, it tries to be smart but it isn't. Nicely shot though.

Lindelof is a bad writer, he needs someone to tell him wat bad storytelling is. He has good ideas, but he needs an actual writer with him, like Perotta during the first season.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

oliwan posted:

hi thread

I will watch the remaining 6 episodes, but episode 2 was just... real bad. Is anyone still taking this show seriously after the wu tang trampoline scene? That was the dumbest thing I have seen in ages. We couldn't stop laughing during the whole thing, but not in a good way.

It's just like the worst episodes of lost right now. It's boring, it tries to be smart but it isn't. Nicely shot though.

Lindelof is a bad writer, he needs someone to tell him wat bad storytelling is. He has good ideas, but he needs an actual writer with him, like Perotta during the first season.

Your bad

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oliwan posted:

hi thread

What a hilariously misinformed post this is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"Damon Lindelof needs a 'real writer' (what?) with him, like the guy who literally co-wrote the episode with him this week." - an idiot

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please enlighten me, I hope someone can convince my this is good?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I could see why you wouldn't like it but it wasn't bad writing. This is how people are coping with tragic loss and is consistent with what the show portrays through the series. And real people cope in different and sometimes silly ways.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

I could see why you wouldn't like it but it wasn't bad writing. This is how people are coping with tragic loss and is consistent with what the show portrays through the series. And real people cope in different and sometimes silly ways.

Well that's the thing: why tell us something that we already know, or have seen before?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean nothing we could say would change your mind. So what's the point other than to stroke your teaching boner?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

oliwan posted:

Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.

all these qualifications and you still have bad taste. Sad!~

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean nothing we could say would change your mind. So what's the point other than to stroke your teaching boner?

Eh no. Maybe I'm missing something? I've read lots of books/ saw lots of movies and shows that i didn't like before someone pointed me to something that I missed, or didn't interpret right, and now i like them :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm in love with Carrie Coon.

It's pretty much impossible not to be. Where the hell has she been before like 2 years ago?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like how is the trampoline scene supposed to add anything to the story? Except for hurrr durrr look how wacky we (the writers/directors) are?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Like how is the trampoline scene supposed to add anything to the story? Except for hurrr durrr look how wacky we (the writers/directors) are?

You're the most pretentious poster on TVIV or a really bad troll, I haven't decided which yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

You should be able to figure it out yourself with all these qualifications. It couldn't be any easier to understand, really. Of course you're just a bad troll so

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

You're the most pretentious poster on TVIV or a really bad troll, I haven't decided which yet.

Doesn't that award go to that guy with the Brother Mouzone av?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

oliwan posted:

What the poo poo? Do you have experience explaining your arguments? Or just listening?

Edit: You are such a literary master that your criticism is "lol, we laughed at that scene in a totally not good way"

UmOk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

PLEASE! do not feed the bad troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

oliwan posted:

I did wince at that scene. I mean given the story, the music made sense but not the trampoline music video that accompanied it. Like even if the jumping is supposed to be some sort of primal scream of getting your anguish out it still is just silly and fake and took me out of the moment.

Also echoing that the conversation with Tommy ended on a bizarrely mean note.

Otherwise a pretty good episode though. Probably we get to Australia next episode and change gears a bit.

• Locked thread