Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This is bizarre: I went to check to see if VT is getting any closer to legalizing finally, and apparently they're seriously considering a DC-style "legal but no sales" legislation where they'd allow home-growing but no stores. DC got stuck with that by Congress, but VT wants to actually make it a plan. Weird strategy, but apparently it placates some conservatives who don't want to see a "pot industry" or worry the Feds will crack down, so just going laissez-faire is easier.

http://www.weednews.co/vermont-house-leaders-say-they-will-move-forward-with-marijuana-legalization-bill/

That is interesting. I could see that being a fairly viable strategy in states where "great source of revenue for the state" is less appealing as an argument than "my property rights." NH, for sure, but maybe even places like Montana or Wyoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

xrunner posted:

That is interesting. I could see that being a fairly viable strategy in states where "great source of revenue for the state" is less appealing as an argument than "my property rights." NH, for sure, but maybe even places like Montana or Wyoming.

It's a really intriguing option, it's technically "legalization" but resembles "hyper-decriminalization" or something. Wikipedia might need to start nuancing their map further if this catches on as a thing in other states. DC again just has this system totally unwillingly, seeing someone actively *choose* it is odd. But I grasp how it's a middle-ground that might gain some support.

If I were snarkier I'd be pinging Smart Approaches to Marijuana on Twitter to ask "hey, since you guys are supposedly fine with adults using cannabis, but are against Big Marijuana, does that mean you endorse the VT proposal?"

Pragmatically I think it's kind of silly since it leaves open a huge black market and the state gets no revenue from it, but if somehow people are convinced that commercial cannabis is somehow a bad deal, this is still an improvement over the status quo. I joked last year about how when Maine was demanding a "locally appropriate" solution that they must be demanding that weed only be sold in cute little mom-and-pop corner drugstores that sell penny-candy at the counter, but Vermont appears to be doing some no poo poo "the right Yankee way is for government to butt out and the hardy yeomen farmer to grow and smoke his own hemp."

EDIT: Ah, apparently SAM's current fight is trying to prevent RI from legalizing through their legislature:
EDIT3: SAM is the one bankrolling this specific ad, but doesn't mention that on their Twitter or on the ad itself. They did similar tone-deaf astro-turfing in DC.

EDIT2: Ah, the good ol' "parade of horribles".

quote:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- North Kingstown Town Council President Richard Welch worries that if marijuana is legalized the town could have issues with policemen and firemen coming to work high.

EDIT4:

quote:

Montana tried this with guns back in like 2010 or so: they tried passing some law that Montanans could make full-auto machineguns, sawed-offs, and silencers without doing any federal paperwork so long as the firearm always stayed in Montana. And of course ATF was "lol no".

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 10, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm a little hazy on the details, but apparently Scott Pruitt, the guy Trump tapped to head the EPA, was the same guy who as AG of Oklahoma dicked up their public initiative to legalize medical marijuana in 2016. They had the signatures, but then backers allege Pruitt misleadingly structured the phrasing of the initiative to make it sound like people were voting on full-legal, so courtroom kerfuffles followed and the vote looks like it's on for 2018 now.

So by at least one argument, the current EPA chief is the big reason Oklahoma has to wait two more years to vote on medical weed: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/pruitt-confirmation-adds-another-strong-anti-marijuana-voice-to-trump-cabinet/article/2615318

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

This is bizarre: I went to check to see if VT is getting any closer to legalizing finally, and apparently they're seriously considering a DC-style "legal but no sales" legislation where they'd allow home-growing but no stores. DC got stuck with that by Congress, but VT wants to actually make it a plan. Weird strategy, but apparently it placates some conservatives who don't want to see a "pot industry" or worry the Feds will crack down, so just going laissez-faire is easier.

http://www.weednews.co/vermont-house-leaders-say-they-will-move-forward-with-marijuana-legalization-bill/

It's a substantial step towards outright legalization though, which could follow only a few years after this stage. DC is basically like Colorado now re weed with the exception that everyone has to be a bit weird about where they get their weed. DC as a culture WANTS pot stores and will get them as shortly as a Democratic majority controls the House.

So sometime in the next 16 years.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Went to a hearing last evening for Marihuana Decriminalization in Texas. Turns out hearings take forever so I spent several hours in the overflow room bullshitting with other activists or playing World of Tanks on my phone while waiting for our bill to come up. There were some other interesting bills before ours, a bunch of stuff about human trafficking and prostitution and expunging records and all, so I watched some of the testimonies for the intense stuff like "I'm now a productive tax-paying citizen, mother, and homeowner, but I've been literally laughed at in job interviews because I have prostitution convictions from twenty years ago because my abusive boyfriend got me hooked on heroin and selling myself to support him."

After about four hours of hearings, our bill came up around 6pm or so and we filed in. They have tablets set up outside so you can log yourself in to support/oppose given bills, and sign up to testify or no. The campaign put out word in advance that we had plenty of witnesses, so only testify if you have personal or professional experience with cannabis arrests. Testimony was... a mixed bag, which I guess is what happens when you just open the floor to anyone. A lot of people who didn't have much angle other than "it really sucks my son got busted for weed"; I'm supportive of their cause of course, but for each testimony I just tried to imagine how it would resonate with someone who'd just respond "then don't break the law." Then a lot of folks who got really off-topic about how great weed is medically, but didn't use the angle I would have of "so even if it's not legal to self-medicate, at least people who make that tough decision will get ticketed but not arrested."

We had one really interesting dude who sounded somewhere between Sam Elliott and Johnny Cash, like the guy should be doing narration for something folksy, and his how spiel was this rambling piece about how the Vietnam War was specifically designed to kill off hippies, and paraquat spraying in Mexico was done to poison weed smokers rather than kill crops. Basically every point he had dated back to the 1970s at latest, and not a single point addressed House Bill 81 other than saying he supported it.

We had at least a couple people though who were reasonably on-point with basically classic stories for our case. One local businessman (who brought his wife and baby to the hearing) who got busted in a rural county for a few grams of medical marijuana (that he'd been legally using in another state) and was horrified that he got literally shackled hand and foot, spent several days in jail, and had to go to court to fight off a misdemeanor charge that could've hurt his business. That was probably our best one for "respectable citizen is treated like a dangerous criminal for a minor offense."

For a while it looked like we had an endless parade of a couple dozen supporters testifying and no opposition, though a couple older folks had punched their data into the tablet wrong and gone on-record as being against it, so had to verbally correct the record to testify. But the last speaker of the night was a prosecutor from a rural county, who said that his people didn't object to the overall concept of the bill, but were against it because of two major concerns: a) what if some court says the smell of weed is no longer Probable Cause and they lose to ability to search people to check for real crimes? b) it's tough on cops to have to enforce *civil* law on top of criminal law, and what if the weed is like right at an ounce but the cop isn't sure if it's over an ounce and arrestable? Fortunately the writer of the bill, who's on the committee, was also a prosecutor and (politely) tore the guy's arguments apart.

At the very end, the Chairman noted that we'd spent almost four hours hearing testimony, with a total of one single person testifying against, and basically gave a scolding speech about "for the record, if there are folks out there that aren't happy about this bill, I'm not going to be pleased if you show up in April or May complaining about it on the floor, since we had a whole hearing for this and almost everyone that showed up supported it." So overall we're feeling really good about this getting out of committee, which was almost a foregone conclusion since even going in we were pretty sure we had four solid votes of eight to move forward, so now we just see when it goes to the House floor, and where the Senate companion bill is at. And separately a bill to expand Texas' MMJ program to be as large as in a normal state (right now it's just CBD for epilepsy) is winding its way through the system.

It's been pretty cool getting involved in this, so if you've never attended a NORML meeting for your area, or aren't on their mailing list, try getting involved even if it just means coming out for a day to lobby, or responding to a call for action by contacting your reps.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

At the very end, the Chairman noted that we'd spent almost four hours hearing testimony, with a total of one single person testifying against, and basically gave a scolding speech about "for the record, if there are folks out there that aren't happy about this bill, I'm not going to be pleased if you show up in April or May complaining about it on the floor, since we had a whole hearing for this and almost everyone that showed up supported it." So overall we're feeling really good about this getting out of committee, which was almost a foregone conclusion since even going in we were pretty sure we had four solid votes of eight to move forward, so now we just see when it goes to the House floor, and where the Senate companion bill is at. And separately a bill to expand Texas' MMJ program to be as large as in a normal state (right now it's just CBD for epilepsy) is winding its way through the system.

FYI the representative giving the speech you talk about was actually Vice Chairman Todd Hunter. This is important because Todd Hunter also happens to be Chairman of the House Calendars Committee, who sets when (or if) bills go to the House floor for votes. Previous similar bills have passed the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee unanimously, only to never reach the floor due to a lack of support from Calendar Committee members. So his support would be a Big Deal in terms of actually getting legislation passed.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GamingHyena posted:

FYI the representative giving the speech you talk about was actually Vice Chairman Todd Hunter. This is important because Todd Hunter also happens to be Chairman of the House Calendars Committee, who sets when (or if) bills go to the House floor for votes. Previous similar bills have passed the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee unanimously, only to never reach the floor due to a lack of support from Calendar Committee members. So his support would be a Big Deal in terms of actually getting legislation passed.

Thanks for the local insight! I move around too much so I tend to lack the bigger political picture wherever I'm operating. Did you attend the hearing too, or saw it streamed? Would you also concur that a lot of the testimony was less than compelling, but was useful mainly for showing that a body of people are willing to turn out in support?

Speaking of which, other than personal testimony, we had a bunch of folks come to testify in favor from Republican organizations, particularly Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition and The Young Republicans, so that was useful for bipartisanship. Those speakers were mostly pretty dry, just recited statistics and explained how that fit into Republican ideology. To nitpick from the outside, I wish people would pay more attention to the prior speakers and modify their speech accordingly since we had more than half the speakers rattle off the same statistical bullet points. A certain amount of repetition is good I suppose, but after four or five people saying "60,000 marijuana arrests per year" it seems we could save a few minutes by just saying "the other speakers have pointed out the sheer number of arrests, and based on that..."

Now it's just a matter of when it gets on calendar to go to the House floor, and then where the accompanying Senate bill is, and then what happens to both the HB and SB for expanding medical cannabis.

I found it interesting too that the campaign is no longer doing mass calls for action because a chunk of reps are really solidly on our side now and have apparently communicated "yes, after the literally thousandth email about this, I'm totally on-board, so you don't need to tie up my inbox and phoneline." So presumably they're focusing more now on getting people in key districts to contact their reps who are on the fence. Lots of interesting strategy in this that's way above my level.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thanks for the local insight! I move around too much so I tend to lack the bigger political picture wherever I'm operating. Did you attend the hearing too, or saw it streamed? Would you also concur that a lot of the testimony was less than compelling, but was useful mainly for showing that a body of people are willing to turn out in support?

Speaking of which, other than personal testimony, we had a bunch of folks come to testify in favor from Republican organizations, particularly Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition and The Young Republicans, so that was useful for bipartisanship. Those speakers were mostly pretty dry, just recited statistics and explained how that fit into Republican ideology. To nitpick from the outside, I wish people would pay more attention to the prior speakers and modify their speech accordingly since we had more than half the speakers rattle off the same statistical bullet points. A certain amount of repetition is good I suppose, but after four or five people saying "60,000 marijuana arrests per year" it seems we could save a few minutes by just saying "the other speakers have pointed out the sheer number of arrests, and based on that..."

Now it's just a matter of when it gets on calendar to go to the House floor, and then where the accompanying Senate bill is, and then what happens to both the HB and SB for expanding medical cannabis.

I found it interesting too that the campaign is no longer doing mass calls for action because a chunk of reps are really solidly on our side now and have apparently communicated "yes, after the literally thousandth email about this, I'm totally on-board, so you don't need to tie up my inbox and phoneline." So presumably they're focusing more now on getting people in key districts to contact their reps who are on the fence. Lots of interesting strategy in this that's way above my level.

Guess I need to check whether my shitbag rep is on the side of the forces of good on this one.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Canada just announced that July 2018 is the goal to legalize recreational cannabis in Canada. It'll be age 18 and up, and individual provinces will set their own policies for stores and whatnot:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/27/canada-legal-marijuana-july-2018

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Any idea on how the US will respond? In the past they've pushed against Mexico and other South American Countries from legalizing.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

quote:

Two Oregon lawmakers plan to introduce an ambitious marijuana law reform package in Congress Thursday, proposing a raft changes that could wipe away thousands of pot-related criminal convictions and make life much easier for everyone involved in the legal weed business.

Sen. Ron Wyden and Rep. Earl Blumenauer, both Democrats from a state that has legalized recreational marijuana, dubbed their joint proposal the “Path to Marijuana Reform,” and it reads like a wish list for drug policy geeks.

The catch, of course, is that Republicans control both houses of Congress, and social conservatives will almost certainly fight against the legislation. Recent polling shows 59 percent of all U.S. voters support marijuana legalization, but the majority of GOP constituents are still opposed.

There are three bills altogether. One deals specifically with tax issues related to the marijuana industry; another includes a variety of far-reaching reforms, such as easing restrictions on banking and medical research; and the third calls for descheduling marijuana, which would treat the drug like alcohol or tobacco under federal law, instead of like heroin.

Here’s a quick breakdown of what’s included in the bills. (The full text of all three is in a PDF at the end of this story.)

• Taxes
The Small Business Tax Equity Act would change the tax code “to allow businesses operating in compliance with state law to claim deductions and credits associated with the sale of marijuana like any other legal business.” The IRS currently treats state-sanctioned pot retailers like illicit drug traffickers, forcing them to pay exorbitant taxes.

• Descheduling
The Marijuana Revenue And Regulation Act would remove cannabis from the list of drugs federally outlawed by the Controlled Substances Act. Currently, weed is listed in the Schedule I category, which is reserved for the most dangerous types of drugs.

States could still choose to outlaw marijuana and there would be “strict rules and penalties” for illegal transportation of pot across state lines, but federal descheduling would dramatically reshape the legal landscape for marijuana, essentially legalizing and taxing it like booze or cigarettes. The proposal would also create rules for advertising, packaging, and labeling pot products.

• State Protections
There’s a lot to unpack in the Responsibly Addressing The Marijuana Policy Gap Act, but most importantly the bill would “exempt any person acting in compliance with state marijuana law from criminal penalties” under the Controlled Substances Act. Basically, this change would prevent the feds from arresting or prosecuting anyone who abides by state rules.

• Criminal Records
The Policy Gap Act also calls for giving certain federal marijuana offenders a clean slate. The bill would create an “expungement process” for people who were busted by federal authorities for possessing less than an ounce of pot or for any “activity that was state legal at the time of offense.”

• Banking
Most banks currently refuse to do business with marijuana-related businesses for fear of repercussions from federal regulators and law enforcement, but the bill would create a range of safeguards and do away with some red tape. This is a key issue for the marijuana industry, which has been forced to deal almost entirely in cash.

The bill would also allow failed pot businesses to declare bankruptcy, something they are not currently allowed to do under federal law.

• Drug Testing and Other “Individual Protections”
The federal government would no longer be able to use marijuana drug tests to block people from states with legal weed from applying for certain federal jobs. It would also allow some marijuana offenders to receive federal financial aid and live in federally assisted public housing; make certain weed-related crimes non-deportable offenses for undocumented immigrants; and do away with civil forfeiture for marijuana, which allows the feds to seize cash and property from people even if they haven’t been charged with a crime.

• Medical Marijuana
Health care workers at the Department of Veterans Affairs would be allowed to “provide recommendations and opinions” about medical marijuana. It would also be much easier for scientists to study the medical benefits of weed by “creating a new registration process specifically for medical marijuana that will reduce approval wait times, costly security measures, and unnecessary layers of protocol review.”

In a statement announcing the proposal, Wyden and Blumenauer noted that more than 20 percent of all Americans live in the eight states that allow adults to use marijuana, and 95 percent of country has access to some form of legal weed via medical marijuana laws. They also cited research that projects the pot industry will create nearly 300,000 jobs by 2020.

Wyden said his “three-step approach” will “spur job growth and boost our economy,” while Blumenauer, who represents much of Portland, lamented that “too many people are trapped between federal and state laws.”

The duo is set to discuss the proposal in detail Wednesday, and a spokesperson for Wyden, who has been one of the Trump administration’s most outspoken critics in the Senate, said he plans to address likely opposition from the Department of Justice and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Earlier this month, Sessions said he rejects “the idea that America will be a better place if marijuana is sold in every corner store,” and that he thinks weed is only “slightly less awful” than heroin. Wyden’s spokesperson said the senator plans to argue that Sessions “seems to favor states’ rights only when he thinks the state is right.”

President Donald Trump vowed on the campaign trail to respect state decisions on marijuana legalization, and Sessions has said he plans to keep Obama-era marijuana enforcement guidelines in place for the time being. But without changes to federal law like the ones proposed by Wyden and Blumenauer, Sessions and Trump have the power to reverse that decision and crack down on legal weed whenever they want.

https://news.vice.com/story/a-3-part-plan-to-fix-legal-weed-in-the-u-s-was-just-unveiled-by-two-oregon-lawmakers
https://www.scribd.com/document/343453045/Wyden-and-Blumenauer-s-Path-to-Marijuana-Reform?secret_password=IBd6RLXj5tvW1P5nGJo1#from_embed

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
On the road and phone-posting, but it appears big news in West Virginia and South Africa this week if anyone has a sec to dig.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Tab8715 posted:

Any idea on how the US will respond? In the past they've pushed against Mexico and other South American Countries from legalizing.

The United States no longer has any ground to tell any nation how conduct its business re cannabis.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Aging Millenial posted:

The United States no longer has any ground to tell any nation how conduct its business re cannabis.

Due to state's legalizing in defiance of the federal government? Or for other reasons?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

because it would reek of hypocrisy. whether or not it's still federally illegal doesn't mean poo poo anymore when it comes to this

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Virginia has taken the first possible tentative step towards decriminalization. Last year, a major Republican state senator signaled that he was open to considering decriminalization. A state body (Virginia Crime Commission) will now study decriminalization and make a recommendation to the legislature next year.

Both Democratic nominees in this year's Governor race (VA holds Gov elections in off years) support decriminalization. So it's likely that Va.will have decriminalized marijuana by this time next year if this state body and legislature are swayed by the national trend and the more local trend (it's semi-legal in DC and decriminalized in Maryland.)

In the mid-atlantic region full legalization will probably happen in this order: Washington, DC (if Democrats ever take back the House, DC will get legal weed stores guaranteed) --- > New Jersey -----> Delaware ---->Maryland. Virginia will be dead last because rural Virginia has significant sway in the state legislature.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Where's PA?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Dad high so what...

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 7, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

"Delaware legislators say they have votes to legalize pot posted:

Delaware took a major step Thursday toward becoming the ninth state to legalize recreational marijuana use.

State legislators unveiled a bill that would allow state residents 21 and older to purchase up to an ounce of cannabis from dozens of stores that would be authorized to sell marijuana manufactured at a number of Delaware grow operations.

"House Bill 110 creates an entirely new industry in our state," said Rep. Helene Keeley, D-South Wilmington. "As the only state in a seven-hour drive to have legalized marijuana, we would become a destination that would attract out-of-state sales, which would have a benefit to our Delaware businesses."

. . .
A poll conducted by the University of Delaware last year found that more than 60 percent of state residents support full legalization of marijuana.

Gov. John Carney, however, is not one of them.

The state, his office noted, is still working to get the 6-year-old medical marijuana program fully operational and approved a law decriminalizing marijuana in 2015, downgrading possession of an ounce from a criminal offense to a civil violation, like a parking ticket.

. . .
At least 14 legislators had signed on to co-sponsor the Delaware Marijuana Control Act, including Sen. Colin Bonini, R-Dover, who last year proposed legalizing cannabis while running for governor. Keeley said she is confident the measure will get votes from two-thirds of the Senate and House members needed to pass a bill that contains new criminal penalties. In this case, those penalties relate to fines for underage consumption.

"This is where the grassroots support starts," Keeley said. "For advocates, now is their chance to call their legislator and tell them they want this."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
WV just needs the Governor's signature for mmj.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Lmao, I had forgotten that state's existence.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Crossposting from TCC:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817105

quote:

Slacktivism call: I imagine WPCannabis would appreciate your efforts appreciated to spread the word/link about this project on Twitter, Facebook, etc. to the cannabis community

Wikipedia has a "WikiProject Cannabis" volunteer working group that organizes and grooms all the weed coverage on Wikipedia, and that group decided to hold a special collab project for 15-30 April this year to get folks to help out Wikipedia by creating new articles (they have a huge list of needed "redlinks"), uploading photos and video of needed illustrations, helping with translations into and out of other languages, or even just helping copyedit, organize content, etc.

Here's the big invitation page for the collab; hit the "Talk" tab at the top if you want to post questions or suggestions (anonymously as an IP or with a WP account which is free and takes 90 seconds to make).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Cannabis/420_Collaboration

I'm going to be pitching in myself, especially on translation work, but I figured this was something goons would like to know about because lord knows we got some nerdy stoners here.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
A day early, but on 19 April, West Virginia became the 29th state to legalize medical marijuana. So now there are only four US states and two territories that have zero form of legal, decrim, or CBD: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/04/19/west-virginia-medical-marijuana-legal/77790/

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

A day early, but on 19 April, West Virginia became the 29th state to legalize medical marijuana. So now there are only four US states and two territories that have zero form of legal, decrim, or CBD: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/04/19/west-virginia-medical-marijuana-legal/77790/

Good omen for the upcoming Kentucky and Tennessee votes.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 20, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Seven weed activists arrested by Capitol Police (not MPD, cops for the actual Capitol building) in DC for handing out free joints: http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/20/420-dc-pot-activists-arrested-during-free-marijuan/

They'll be held overnight and have a hearing tomorrow. Unsurprisingly, one of them is Adam Eidinger (famously described as a "political gadfly" by the Post), the headshop owner who headed the successful campaign to legalize weed in DC in 2014. That said, Capitol Police are federal and not beholden to DC law; this could get interesting.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Stolen from the poltoons thread:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/856559367335948289

Medicinal Cannabis may soon become available on the NHS

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Interesting article in the LA Times about attempts to unionize and regulate the weed industry

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-abcarian-marijuana-technician-20170423-story.html

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Governor hasn't signed yet, but Indiana is on the verge of legalizing CBD for epilepsy: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/04/21/marijuana-extract-could-soon-legal-indiana-epilepsy-patients/100698120/

EDIT: if IN does it, that brings us down to only three states (ID, SD, KS) that have neither decrim nor medical.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 25, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://in.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-marijuana-idINKBN17U2ZJ

The legalization of medical marijuana sailed through the Mexican Congress and President Nieto is expected to sign.

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009

Pennsylvania got a medical bill passed recently. I'm pleased with it as a good step forward, but it's not a total victory: there is a list of approved conditions, and there will be a highly regulated dispensary system. No statewide decrim (although I believe possession of small amounts is decriminalized in Philadelphia). I know some people that would love to replace their prescription opioids with cannabis but are very sensitive to the legal status, I hope this helps them. And hey: Washington State had a similar medical setup when they leapfrogged straight to full legal in 2014.

I really hope Massachusetts pulls through because personally I think that will put prohibition over the edge of ridiculous into the realm of untenable. Out-of-state folks will be able to buy it there, yes? If everyone in the northeast of the United States can drive to Boston for a Weed Weekend then why bother anymore? I suppose a Jeff Sessions counter-attack could put the brakes on, but I just don't see it being enough to stem the tide.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm in Montreal for a few months, and been pondering volunteer gigs to keep busy.

In DC and Texans I worked on marijuana campaigns, but I dunno, are MJ advocacy groups in Canada doing anything at all these days other than an extended touchdown dance for the next year?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i imagine they're probably tokin up

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Calibanibal posted:

i imagine they're probably tokin up

Nah, I mean what are they doing *different* since the Canadian government announced upcoming legalization?

Not that it seems to matter much, Montreal reeks of weed about as much as DC does.

EDIT: apparently one of Canada's ongoing challenges is reminding people "hey, you can *still* get arrested until next year so be more discreet."

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 30, 2017

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Ontario is watching dispensaries open up which run the gamut from "looks like a pharmacy" to "at least the dealer is in one spot and indoors". Watching police raid them and then watching them open back up the next day. Also, Paying attention to Marc Emery getting pinched for trying to weather the storm so hard.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rohrabacher-Blumenauer (formerly Rohrabacher-Farr) in the spending deal, extended to Sept.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Rohrabacher-Blumenauer (formerly Rohrabacher-Farr) in the spending deal, extended to Sept.

Suck it Sessions!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, Sessions may not be doing much in the weed world just yet. A while back he took a meeting with Gov. Hickenlooper (D-Colo):

quote:

Hickenlooper’s chief of staff, Doug Friednash, tells us the hour-long meeting to discuss Colorado’s cannabis laws and the threat of federal intervention went amicably. The biggest takeaways, Friednash said, are that the new attorney general is far more focused on other priorities, like securing the border with a wall, than in disrupting our legal cannabis marketplace.

Sessions indicated his office was reviewing a directive — known as the Cole memo — from the Obama administration that led to the current status quo where the feds allow states that have legalized marijuana to operate without undue interference.

Friednash said the attorney general found the Cole memo “not too far from good policy.”

Yes, the law-and-order Sessions could change his mind. And President Donald Trump could get involved in unpredictable ways. It’s also possible we’re reading too much into the conversation. But the substance of the meeting in and of itself should comfort those worried about the chaos that would result if the feds decided to crash the Colorado experiment.

Importantly, the governor and the attorney general ended the meeting positively. The pair agreed to share information to help inform federal decision-making and Sessions seemed interested in a visit to our fair state.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida's competing horrible MMJ bills in their respective House and Senate are irreconcilable and dead this legislative session. Because of the language of Amendment 2, the onus now falls on the department of health to pass regulations by July.

Good news is this makes any of the dumber provisions from the various senate/house proposals more easily challenged in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Malta is an insignificant city state in the middle of a sea, but the leaders of both political parties came out in favour of debating Canada or Portugal type of decrim yesterday. Much of it seems to be preelection posturing, but I would be cautiously optimistic.