Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Aethernet posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/856447919465127936

In 1.6 we'll be able to find and repair ruined megastructures. This will of course make the Cybrex chain even more godly, although I assume other precursors will get the other structures to compensate.

this is some good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

My real ideal system would be for all FTL to start out as hyperlanes and then you get a mid-game tech that upgrades your drives to operate like hyperlane if there's a hyperlane between two systems, but like warp if there isn't. Warp-type transit would be much slower, but possible if there's no other route. Also there could be different speed levels of hyperlane so you could have a network with "main lines" and "branches."

This is basically the Endless Space system which works reasonably well. Add in wormholes as a late game only within empire/federation option and it would retain all the FTL types.

Currently wormholes are so much better than the other FTL types it's not even funny. They're 'balanced' by being a total faff, but that's hardly balancing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gulli's planet modifiers are really cool but after the third time I get a popup about a pre-cursor city, planetary shield or other really cool modifier that's on a dead planet that can never be terraformed it gets a bit old.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Jeesh. There is an embarassingly large amount of stuff that outright doesn't work, isn't there.

This is your first paradox rodeo isnt it. Eu3/4 was similar on release an then a few content patches in an now it is an amazing game. Stellaris is on its FIRST expansion, paradox has very ambitious games in contrast to other devs and based on their history this is their run of mill strategy.

Launch broken game with a lot of ambition.

Patch and add content to flesh out.

Ck2 eu4 profit.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Demiurge4 posted:

Gulli's planet modifiers are really cool but after the third time I get a popup about a pre-cursor city, planetary shield or other really cool modifier that's on a dead planet that can never be terraformed it gets a bit old.

I'm gonna have to agree here. I saw your earlier post Guilli and understood your reasoning but I think you should maybe play with the chances so it happens a lot less given how many more dead worlds there are in any galaxy. In the 3-5 games I've played, almost all of those events popped up on planets I could not use. It was probably happening just as much before the notifications but seeing it so clearly now just makes it less enjoyable.

If terraforming was a more thorough option in the base game for frozen/barren/etc it would be completely fine, but as of right now it just feels very disconnected to see happen so often.

Another possibility is maybe always having terraforming candidate trigger alongside the cool blue/purple traits if possible?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 24, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think I'm going to have to mod AI hive minds out of my game. They're just so loving annoying to deal with - I can't liberate parts of them to make a buffer, to remove them I have to conquer their worlds, and as an egalitarian I can't stop my people from moving in there, and I don't want those planets. I'm trying to get some ascension perks and I really don't need those planet penalties.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GotLag posted:

I think I'm going to have to mod AI hive minds out of my game. They're just so loving annoying to deal with - I can't liberate parts of them to make a buffer, to remove them I have to conquer their worlds, and as an egalitarian I can't stop my people from moving in there, and I don't want those planets. I'm trying to get some ascension perks and I really don't need those planet penalties.

You can stop people moving on by freeing them or giving them away. Make friends at the same time as you pin the ensuing genocide on them!

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

This is some wild fanboy-ism.

I mean he probably really likes paradox games but I haven't seen any examples where he is wrong. They launch semi broken games that are a bit of a conceptual handful then fix those games over time. It is what it is an you can be a mad brain about it but you're dumb if you bought a paradox game an didn't expect it. If you want to avoid the well established 'process' pick up a paradox title after the 2nd year from release an spare yourself an everyone the whining.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 24, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

GlyphGryph posted:

You can stop people moving on by freeing them or giving them away. Make friends at the same time as you pin the ensuing genocide on them!

If I free a planet with only hive mind pops, will they still die off or will it form a new hive? I don't want to end up with the space version of the sorcerer's apprentice.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Maybe its the Stockholm syndrome talking (:haw:) but I actually enjoy Paradox's way of development. Launch Stellaris really did need another few weeks but since then I'm okay with stuff being wonky until its worked out and nearly every patch has been interesting enough to go back for another round at least. :unsmith:

But hey. I was burned hard by Sword of the Stars 2, maybe my tolerance for bullshit in my space 4x's has a solid bedrock. :smithicide:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I had fun with Stellaris on release and I had more fun with it than previously after every major update to it. I can see why this model is frustrating for some though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thyrork posted:

But hey. I was burned hard by Sword of the Stars 2, maybe my tolerance for bullshit in my space 4x's has a solid bedrock. :smithicide:
Sword of the Stars 2 killed my interest in pre-orders.

Endless Space killed my faith in democracy.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Demiurge4 posted:

Mazz posted:

I'm gonna have to agree here. I saw your earlier post Guilli and understood your reasoning but I think you should maybe play with the chances so it happens a lot less given how many more dead worlds there are in any galaxy. In the 3-5 games I've played, almost all of those events popped up on planets I could not use. It was probably happening just as much before the notifications but seeing it so clearly now just makes it less enjoyable.

If terraforming was a more thorough option in the base game for frozen/barren/etc it would be completely fine, but as of right now it just feels very disconnected to see happen so often.

Another possibility is maybe always having terraforming candidate trigger alongside the cool blue/purple traits if possible?

I hear ya. I tweaked the numbers a bit more for my last playtest in favour of habitable planets but I'm not sure I'm really happy with the current system either. Having terraforming candidate trigger for all of them on dead worlds means making all the dead worlds "semi terraformable" which might conflict with full on terraform mods. Donno, might try to experiment with that.

I might just bite the bullet and make precursor modifiers only spawn on habitable worlds. I could always introduce alternative precursor modifiers for dead worlds that give something in orbit (when you survey it) Donno. Don't want to flood the universe with too much precursor stuff either.
Anyway, thinking about this stuff atm.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
gently caress, it won't let me release planets with only hive mind pops on them :mad:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GotLag posted:

gently caress, it won't let me release planets with only hive mind pops on them :mad:

Give them to someone else (vassals and protectorates are great for this) or release another planet if you need a friendly someone else

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Does anyone know why allies and vassals seem to have completely stopped assisting in war efforts? Its actually really drat frustrating to play that way now, especially since the war in heaven will go on to destroy all your efforts immediately and without any way to stop it

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

Endless Space killed my faith in democracy.

Why do you hate clockwork races and memes about Glados? And why do you keep going on about destroying colonies?

Games together was abit poo poo sometimes, yes.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Thyrork posted:

Why do you hate clockwork races and memes about Glados? And why do you keep going on about destroying colonies?

Was?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Does anyone know why allies and vassals seem to have completely stopped assisting in war efforts? Its actually really drat frustrating to play that way now, especially since the war in heaven will go on to destroy all your efforts immediately and without any way to stop it

I'm not seeing this - during a massive fight with an AE in my most recent game my Federation buddies all attempted to form up on my fleet and played a crucial role in burning down the AE's stack, primarily by shielding my ships with their ships. It was a genuinely cool battle.

I have seen them fail to do this, but that tends to be when they're disloyal or they think your fleet isn't strong enough.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

They still use it past minor stuff?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Thyrork posted:

They still use it past minor stuff?

They did an Endless Space 2 faction the same way - the one that's not actually in the game yet, actually. The concept is actually pretty cool but some of the abilities are not (we've been talking about it in the Endless Space thread, in fact, so I won't repeat it here). I'm hoping it gets cleaned up pretty hard before release, which is likely since some of its ability concepts predate current game mechanics, like how wars are declared and end.

They voted on an Endless Legend faction too but it ended up fine so it's probably okay. Probably.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GlyphGryph posted:

Give them to someone else (vassals and protectorates are great for this) or release another planet if you need a friendly someone else

I honestly think there's no reason in this game to not let you create a vassal from scratch regardless of cultures and home planets. Particularly with the domination tradition, creating vassals instead of sectors would be am interesting alterative game mechanic.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Boy I sure love spending 70 years tracking down precursor artifacts only to have to system spawn right on the borders of some other empire and thus have it stolen out from under me :v: Paradox please do something about this, the whole point of the chain is to find the system, but as soon as it appears everyone can go there.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

I noticed that there's a toggle at the top of your fleet menu that sets if that fleet should be the rally point for your alliance/vassals (looks like a flag). I think it's on by default for your starting fleet, but you might have to toggle it on for a later fleet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Aethernet posted:

I'm not seeing this - during a massive fight with an AE in my most recent game my Federation buddies all attempted to form up on my fleet and played a crucial role in burning down the AE's stack, primarily by shielding my ships with their ships. It was a genuinely cool battle.

I have seen them fail to do this, but that tends to be when they're disloyal or they think your fleet isn't strong enough.

Two FE's declared on me right after I got done taking over a militant isolationist FE's space. Why? Because they both felt the tomb world I had inherited didn't belong to me.

Hypocrisy aside, my allies did gently caress all to help. One of them had about 200K worth of fleet power too. If not possibly more. Thankfully I run with NSC enabled so I was able to bust out titans and leviathans to counter that bullshit. It's definitely a bug with this new version that crops up every now and then.

Guilliman posted:

I hear ya. I tweaked the numbers a bit more for my last playtest in favour of habitable planets but I'm not sure I'm really happy with the current system either. Having terraforming candidate trigger for all of them on dead worlds means making all the dead worlds "semi terraformable" which might conflict with full on terraform mods. Donno, might try to experiment with that.

I might just bite the bullet and make precursor modifiers only spawn on habitable worlds. I could always introduce alternative precursor modifiers for dead worlds that give something in orbit (when you survey it) Donno. Don't want to flood the universe with too much precursor stuff either.
Anyway, thinking about this stuff atm.

Alphamod made two mods that might help deal with the issue of modifiers on the wrong types of planets.

One deals with colonizing molten, barren, and frozen planets via a special edict that has your scientists do follow up surveys to see if they can jury rig something habitable out of the planet.

The other lets you colonize gas giants by placing platforms inside it's gravity. It's basically colonization but with a poo poo ton of negative modifiers to happiness since you're basically turning a gas giant into a harvesting facility.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 24, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Aethernet posted:

I haven't tried federations yet, maybe they work but War Allies and Vassals don't for some reason?

I had my guys on point for multiple wars and I saw a friendly fleet once the whole war, and it was from my weakest vassal.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
After having played my first Hive Mind game, it felt a bit shallow/frustrating.

- Until the second Gene Modding ascension perk (which comes super late), I had no option but to harvest enemies for food
- This, of course, gave me a huge negative Genocidal modifier with everyone
- This ended up being with the game being perpetual war with everyone

Maybe enable Hive Minds to "mind meld" somehow with new pops earlier (i.e. apply "Hive Minded")

Game felt a lot more one-dimensional when playing a Hive Mind. Habitability > 40% was all I cared about.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Played a decent chunk of this on release, thinking of coming back. Question, though -- how viable is it to install a bunch of racial mods with people from all around sci-fi? I took a cursory look at some mods and things like the Star Wars / 40K mods mostly look like they're full conversion dealies? Are they compatible with each other at all? One of the big problems I had with vanilla is none of the peoples I encountered ever stuck in my brain as distinct entities since they all felt very randomly-generated.

Basically, I want to play a stupid sci-fi pastiche game where the next race I come across could be Klingons, Turians, or Zoq-Fot-Pik. I saw the Awful races mod, looks like a good start. Can I just download a bunch of other races and stuff'll work?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mister Adequate posted:

Boy I sure love spending 70 years tracking down precursor artifacts only to have to system spawn right on the borders of some other empire and thus have it stolen out from under me :v: Paradox please do something about this, the whole point of the chain is to find the system, but as soon as it appears everyone can go there.

Jesus God, THIS.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Has anyone had issues with Leviathans using the Improved Space Battles mod? Mine seem to go down a lot faster than the Titans I have when fighting the Unbidden.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mister Adequate posted:

I legit save-scummed my way out of this; copied the save shortly before finishing the project on the last artifact, finding where it was going to roll the system, seeing that it was nowhere near me, and then cancelling the research project, and waiting till I could conquer my way over there.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mister Adequate posted:

Aren't precursor chains player-only now? What did that change even mean if the AI can just snipe it at the end?

Granted I kinda hate that change because I enjoy when interesting things happen to the AI too, as long as I can tell they've happened and see the consequences - it adds to immersion if the AI act at least a little like players. For example, I absolutely LOVE that it is possible (though extremely, extremely rare) for an AI empire to complete psionic ascension and make Shroud pacts. Yes, including the End of the Cycle..

NmareBfly posted:

Basically, I want to play a stupid sci-fi pastiche game where the next race I come across could be Klingons, Turians, or Zoq-Fot-Pik. I saw the Awful races mod, looks like a good start. Can I just download a bunch of other races and stuff'll work?

The full conversions won't be compatible with each other, but species-only mods like Awful Utopia or this Asari one will usually play nice with each other. The tricky part to your plan is finding a sci-fi race mod that isn't either a) some low-effort bullshit or b) a TC where you'll have to hack off a forest of stuff you don't want to change to salvage the stuff you DO want and implement it in a personal mod.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 24, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

alcaras posted:

After having played my first Hive Mind game, it felt a bit shallow/frustrating.

- Until the second Gene Modding ascension perk (which comes super late), I had no option but to harvest enemies for food
- This, of course, gave me a huge negative Genocidal modifier with everyone
- This ended up being with the game being perpetual war with everyone

Maybe enable Hive Minds to "mind meld" somehow with new pops earlier (i.e. apply "Hive Minded")

Game felt a lot more one-dimensional when playing a Hive Mind. Habitability > 40% was all I cared about.

Take extremely adaptive with hivemind. It is amazing. Settle everything and give no fucks.

I liberated or subjugated empires until I had the tech to integrate them into the hivemind.

Once I had the tech I integrated other species.

I really wish Gene modding was less costly because it blows to spend a decade tweaking things, even with the reduced cost.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Did I read my tech weights properly that hivemind can't have epigenetic triggers and so can never uplift presentients? :smith:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Honestly, for FTL travel, I'd like them to go full Mass Effect-ish with it. Everyone only gets Warp, but Wormhole is still available--you don't need anything to use it, but you can't build them, instead they're randomly interspersed throughout the map--full coverage, but they have to be within your, or an ally with a specific access agreements, borders to be able to use them, basically turning them into a strategic asset.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thyrork posted:

Fuckers even got GladOS into Horatio :smith:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Xae posted:

Take extremely adaptive with hivemind. It is amazing. Settle everything and give no fucks.

I liberated or subjugated empires until I had the tech to integrate them into the hivemind.

Once I had the tech I integrated other species.

I really wish Gene modding was less costly because it blows to spend a decade tweaking things, even with the reduced cost.

Yeah, I did Extremely Adaptive. I guess my mistake was conquering planets in that first war since that got me Genocidal modifiers which then made everyone unhappy.

But, in my defense, my Fanatical Purifier neighbors did wardec me so is it really my fault they ended up as food? Or that the Slaving Despots that were their neighbors decided they needed to wardec after they saw what they happened to the Fanatical Purifiers...

Basically the game cascading into All War All the Time because of Genocidal. I guess I should have liberated in that first war and sat until I got my 4th Ascension Perk? That's a long time though -- by the time I actually got my 4th Ascension Perk, I had almost won the game by settling 40% of planets.

Also, it's a bit annoying that, as a Hive Mind, you have to manually resettle pops onto planets where the existing life is getting purged off. I lost two planets because they had a -10% Habitability that I wasn't able to overcome. And, if a planet is full, you need a planet where you can move pops to -- which might not exist if you don't have the particular type of planet settled already. Just feels clunky/unfinished.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I can only assume this is the hilarious result of like, several bugs colliding, but I currently have an entirely stable hive mind as part of my non-hive mind empire.

So, and a bunch of this is conjecture, I got a message saying that a bunch of refugees had moved in after they were being purged and executed by their horrible ruler. I double check and realize that, uh, they're a hive mind. So I look over and find out that the empire they fled from had just finished conquering them.

So my assumption here, right? Is that the hive-mind "dies in other empires" trait is configured through purging. Like, mechanically speaking, the way the game sets them all up to die is by using the same mechanic as purging. I dunno, I haven't played a hive-mind. So when they got conquered, they were set to be purged - which triggered my super lovey dovey egalitarian peacenik space elves (WITH THE GREATEST FLEET THE GALAXY HAS EVER SEEN), resettling them. At which point...nothing happened. Maybe because I can't purge, maybe refugees can't flock and immediately be purged, maybe hive minds aren't supposed to BE ABLE to refugee and the game lost it's ability to manage poo poo when that happened - I have no idea. Nobody died. I now have an entirely stable hive mind as one of my many imperial species.

That's the plot to district 9 isn't it?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm going to tell myself that ProfessorCirno got a "trimming" of a hive mind as a refugee.

Give it a few hundred years and it'll be all grown up. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

GlyphGryph posted:

I smashed an AI's fleet and all of their starbases while all of my vassals (every other empire in the game except the one I was warring) did fuckall and I had to bombard and invade everything myself. It was stupid as hell. I was hoping they would at least be able to occupy defenseless planets but nope.

• Locked thread