Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

prompt posted:

There is a Recently Played playlist, at least on my phone
I think this might only be created as a Smart Playlist if you've used iTunes on a computer but yeah, that's probably the best way to see your recently played songs.

Incidentally, it's ridiculous in Apple's "post-PC" future that we still can't make smart playlists on the actual device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Do you need AM to listen to genre stations? I have AM so I'm not sure.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Do you need AM to listen to genre stations? I have AM so I'm not sure.

The Apple Music Radio stations? Yeah.

Pretty sure Beats1 used to be free but its now behind the Apple Music paywall as well.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
The radio station Beats 1 is available to all. No subscription required. For additional features like listening to past episodes of shows you need Apple Music, however. But anyone can listen live for free.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Google Play Music has free genre stations IIRC.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/6230658?hl=en

Check it out here: https://play.google.com/music/listen
Click the burger menu and go to 'Browse stations'.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Remembered it in the end. I had started scrolling through my Purchased list but that goes all the way back to my iPod Touch so there's a lot of scrolling. I wonder if I can prune that list somehow.
But then they'd have to have a "recently removed Purchases" list somewhere also for you.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Remembered it in the end. I had started scrolling through my Purchased list but that goes all the way back to my iPod Touch so there's a lot of scrolling. I wonder if I can prune that list somehow.

The normal swipe-to-delete gesture should give you the option to hide a purchase. As for unhiding (in case you want something back), iirc you have to do that through iTunes.

It'll take you a long time to do a lot of pruning though.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Having a weird issue after upgrade from a 5S to a 6S. Restored from iCloud, everything working fine except when I try to send a pic to someone it says the pic failed to send. They still actually receive it, but it says it was sent as a text message. I've tried the usual stuff, disabling/enabling messaging, removing/readding iCloud account. Not sure what to try next.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm finishing up a weeklong vacation. I got hundreds of photos and plenty of 1080p 60FPS video. Quite a few family members want to know what I've been up to. Is there an easy way to bulk upload a portion of my photo album online so they could see? I used Imgur last time, but that was a little complicated for mom and dad. That, and it didn't like videos.

Any options that are simple for me and dead easy for my parents to see?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

buglord posted:

I'm finishing up a weeklong vacation. I got hundreds of photos and plenty of 1080p 60FPS video. Quite a few family members want to know what I've been up to. Is there an easy way to bulk upload a portion of my photo album online so they could see? I used Imgur last time, but that was a little complicated for mom and dad. That, and it didn't like videos.

Any options that are simple for me and dead easy for my parents to see?

Do they have iDevices? You can share a photo stream with them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iCloud photo sharing or a Google Photos shared folder

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Matt Zerella posted:

Do they have iDevices? You can share a photo stream with them.
They do. Do they need to set up their accounts for it?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Just use Google Photos, it's faster and easier. Download the Google Photos app then send people a shared link. No need for an iDevice.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

buglord posted:

They do. Do they need to set up their accounts for it?
No. They'll just get a notification on their phone/iPad and see the shared folder in their Photos app.

Not sure if you can put videos in a shared folder, though. E: looks like you can.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 23, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
General hardware question:

Has anyone ever had problems with their iPhone or iPad home button? I am talking about it stopping working or being sticky or hard to use, etc. (For the record I've had several devices and never had any problems whatsoever but it goes get pushed probably anywhere from 20-100 times each day.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never have, but it's certainly not unheard of.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
You still have a hardware home button?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

My game boy buttons got sticky after I spilled apple juice in it, did you spill apple juice on your iPhone?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My iPhone 5 developed a really hard to activate home button around about a year and a half or so. I was living and dying by assistive touch until I got my 6S+. My girlfriend's, purchased at the same time, did it as well but not quite as bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

General hardware question:

Has anyone ever had problems with their iPhone or iPad home button? I am talking about it stopping working or being sticky or hard to use, etc. (For the record I've had several devices and never had any problems whatsoever but it goes get pushed probably anywhere from 20-100 times each day.)

Yeah it can happen, if you take it by the Apple Store they will repair it, not sure on how much it would cost.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm helping my mom set up a new iPad as a desktop/laptop replacement, she likes it so far, but I'm having a small iCloud issue. She has a 5C, both devices are fully updated and have rebooted/cycled iCloud, but it seems as if only Photos have properly synced between them via iCloud. I can't manage to pull her contacts and messages (if the latter is even a thing between iPhone and iPad?)

Everything looks in order on the iPhone -- iCloud is the only account on the device, and Contacts are enabled in iCloud's settings pane. Both devices are set up for full iCloud usage. I'd add them manually as she doesn't have a ton, but I'd really rather figure out the parity issue so she can enjoy messaging and FaceTime while using the iPad instead of having to swap to her dinky phone.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Check if the 5C has an iCloud backup completed under iCloud settings. If it doesn't, make one.

After you have a backup on iCloud, erase all content and settings on the iPad and when setting it up, select restore from iCloud backup and choose the backup from the 5C. This will bring back her contacts and messages as well as most of the things from the 5C.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Biodome posted:

Check if the 5C has an iCloud backup completed under iCloud settings. If it doesn't, make one.

After you have a backup on iCloud, erase all content and settings on the iPad and when setting it up, select restore from iCloud backup and choose the backup from the 5C. This will bring back her contacts and messages as well as most of the things from the 5C.

Good idea, thanks! I set up the iPad as new yesterday.

Edit: I found it -- mom had her default contacts on the 5C set to "On My iPhone," so none of them were being added to iCloud contacts.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 23, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

You still have a hardware home button?

He did include iPads, which still have those relics.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah it can happen, if you take it by the Apple Store they will repair it, not sure on how much it would cost.

Can they replace a home button that has a fingerprint sensor on it?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Can they replace a home button that has a fingerprint sensor on it?

Apple can.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Not every phone can have the flex assembly replaced, and as such, they'd need to do a replacement display.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

sorry just saw this again and it's too good to not post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
^ - thanks I love that guy

I thought the issue was that the fingerprint sensor talks directly to the Enclave chip - there was a story about DIY replacement places (not an Apple Store) doing replacements that ultimately caused the phones to brick (I belive because the Enclave was like "wait a second, something is wrong with the fingerprint sensor!")

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
fwiw, I had a "sticky" home button on my SE and they replaced the front panel for free. No AppleCare or anything, I was just within the standard 1 year warranty and there had been no physical damage to the phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

^ - thanks I love that guy

I thought the issue was that the fingerprint sensor talks directly to the Enclave chip - there was a story about DIY replacement places (not an Apple Store) doing replacements that ultimately caused the phones to brick (I belive because the Enclave was like "wait a second, something is wrong with the fingerprint sensor!")
Yes, this is the issue. Non-authorized repair places can replace the home button, but as of whatever iOS version they fixed the bricking issue with, it'll just disable TouchID. Authorized repair places can replace them such that TouchID continues to function, though I imagine it requires replacing the enclave, as well (I honestly have no idea).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

http://www.cultofmac.com/252406/apple-pairs-every-touch-id-sensor-to-its-a7-chip-to-make-them-super-secure/

The little ICs you see on the flex cable are cryptographically tied to the mainboard's secure enclave. You can't just replace the enclave it's part of the SoC as far as I know. There is a way to update the secure enclave firmware and I'm betting that is what Apple does when replacing TouchID sensors. Another very Apple thing to do would be to replace the mainboard/TouchID button as one part.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Apple has special machines that allow a new TouchID sensor to be paired with an existing enclave. Supposedly it's pretty automated. It was in blogs recently.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Pivo posted:

http://www.cultofmac.com/252406/apple-pairs-every-touch-id-sensor-to-its-a7-chip-to-make-them-super-secure/

The little ICs you see on the flex cable are cryptographically tied to the mainboard's secure enclave. You can't just replace the enclave it's part of the SoC as far as I know. There is a way to update the secure enclave firmware and I'm betting that is what Apple does when replacing TouchID sensors. Another very Apple thing to do would be to replace the mainboard/TouchID button as one part.

Replacing the mainboard would wipe all the data and change the phone's IMEI. I'd suspect the firmware update would be how they do it.

I'm kind of surprised there is a way to update it, it seems like that would defeat the whole point if the procedure ever leaked out or was otherwise discovered.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

I'm kind of surprised there is a way to update it, it seems like that would defeat the whole point if the procedure ever leaked out or was otherwise discovered.

Still has to be signed with Apple's keys I think.

An alarmist article, and some level headed comments: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11128212

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

My 5S running 10.3.1 displays the battery bar even with a pair of cheapie (but good) TaoTronics.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I am about to do a complete restore of my wife's iphone (not from backup), so I understand all apps and settings will be lost and it will be a complete factory reset. But once she logs back into iCloud, she'll have all her photos and videos and messages restored. Is that correct? And she'll be able to download previously purchased apps and in-app purchases?

What about imessage attachments (photos she received, voice messages)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, her messages (and attachments) will be gone, as well. Those are part of the backup, but they're not stored in iCloud. Photos and videos will be restored if she has them uploading to iCloud.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

polyester concept posted:

I am about to do a complete restore of my wife's iphone (not from backup), so I understand all apps and settings will be lost and it will be a complete factory reset. But once she logs back into iCloud, she'll have all her photos and videos and messages restored. Is that correct? And she'll be able to download previously purchased apps and in-app purchases?

What about imessage attachments (photos she received, voice messages)?
Messages and iMessage attachments will not be restored. Voicemails are stored carrier-side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

polyester concept posted:

And she'll be able to download previously purchased apps and in-app purchases?

I can say 'yes' to this for sure. IAPs have to be 'Restored', apps with IAPs should have a 'Restore Purchases' button which basically asks the App Store which IAPs you have. Otherwise, the App Store even has a 'Purchased' view which shows you apps that are tied to your account but are not on the phone.

I'm not sure if iMessages are backed up. I didn't get iMessages from my iPhone downloaded automatically when I logged into my iPad (although new msges worked just fine) - but my iPhone isn't set to backup to iCloud so YMMV.