Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ate all the Oreos posted:

on the one hand that's some creepy dystopia stuff, on the other hand we can finally get voice assistants that talk in Majel Roddenberry's voice like proper star trek poo poo

gilbert gottfried leap pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

apseudonym posted:

It pains me when shaggar is right but core OS functionality runs with higher privs than a random app, it's not hard to do that correctly.

keep in mind the discussion is about stuff from 2014 that hasn't worked since iOS 8, apple's improved a lot

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

pr0zac posted:

keep in mind the discussion is about stuff from 2014 that hasn't worked since iOS 8, apple's improved a lot

Was their OS design terrible security wise pre iOS 8? I'm not an iOS person.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

according to some guy on twitter who disassembled a 2014 build of the Uber app, you used to be able to use private APIs to get at a system configuration dictionary that contained the device serial number, this has since been removed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they've been gradually closing off information sources that could be used for fingerprinting. like, you can no longer get a real UUID for an iphone, the value you can get will be changed if the user does a factory reset or non-unique if the user turned on an extra privacy setting

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

they've been gradually closing off information sources that could be used for fingerprinting. like, you can no longer get a real UUID for an iphone, the value you can get will be changed if the user does a factory reset or non-unique if the user turned on an extra privacy setting

im almost positive the number is application specific and each app will get a different id.

it will also change if the user uninstalls/reinstalls the app.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
on that note i took on a contract at one point that was porting some win ce (lol) application that sent application-specific commands to users via intercepting SMS (win ce let you do that).

i explained to the old dev that "you cant do that and you also cant get the users phone number from the software"

he responded with: "what do you mean? microsoft has had this functionality for years!"

finally he said "your responsibility is to find out how to circumvent these restrictions, because we cant implement a messaging system in the application itself, it has to be done via sms"

both him and win ce are really loving stupid

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im almost positive the number is application specific and each app will get a different id.

identifierForVendor is the same for all apps published by the same vendor but not the same for apps from a different vendor. it will also change if the user wipes all your apps off the device and then reinstalls them

advertisingIdentifier is the same for all apps and vendors. it will change if the phone is wiped and the user can choose to withhold it (then you get a string of 0s). there are also additional usage rules associated with it that the review team will want to verify that you're following

uniqueIdentifier was deprecated and removed a long time ago

source: cmd-tabbed to xcode

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

and when caught defrauding the app review process, Uber was too big to fail. the (driver) app should have been pulled

for one thing the uber driver/"partner" app isn't distributed via the app store, so they're not gonna get checked unless someone at apple took a special interest

also as pr0zac mentioned, post like ios 8.3, things have started to get more and more locked down. they're pushing more and more fine-grained entitlements for the xpc calls to system daemons. like battery info just got locked up in ios 10. basically shaggar is right that this is policy abuse b/c the previous entitlements were too broad, and now most things are behind entitlements apple isn't going to grant to anyone but itself.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
someone recycled a pair of LTE routers that they'd apparently tried to pry either open or out of something with a crowbar, unsuccessfully. they're busted up but they still work. one has a paper logo taped on it that says "Pantry Connectivity Box"

each one has a verizon sim and an at&t backup sim in the slots

the routers do not have GSM modems or AT&T support, but the verizon sims are still active

how much of a security fuckup is this

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

:pwn: this sounds like crap compared to Adobe VoCo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

sometimes libraries intended for application developers use "private" system calls that aren't meant to be used directly. since the library code is embedded in the app, the app's security context has to have access to the api, but the app code itself is not supposed to use it directly.

if the library is well designed, then the "private" api doesn't actually provide anything that the app couldn't already do by calling the officially supported library. but sometimes that's not the case, and it can be hard to lock it down if you don't want to break apps compiled against the badly-designed version of the library.

so these libraries doing the private access are ones written by apple but that aren't properly sandboxed?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also what would be the point of fingerprinting the hardware? So you can try to determine if a user wipes their device and the installs your app under a new user account?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that's not what Apple's documentation says

https://developer.apple.com/reference/adsupport/asidentifiermanager posted:

An alphanumeric string unique to each device, used only for serving advertisements.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

also what would be the point of fingerprinting the hardware? So you can try to determine if a user wipes their device and the installs your app under a new user account?

yeah, they would make a new uber account using a free signup code and get 5 free rides or whatever then repeat this over and over to get paid out from uber without putting any money in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
makes sense. my guess then is apple would want uber to do promotions through the user's store account so apple could take a cut

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

makes sense. my guess then is apple would want uber to do promotions through the user's store account so apple could take a cut

nah, apple doesn't take anything for in-kind promotions. only if the user pays for something from the app

(ninja: Uber already does promotions and credits through the app)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
does apple handle payment for uber tho? i think the idea would be apple would provide a promotions system as part of their payment processing so the user gets their new user $5 bonus but then if they take a $6 ride that extra $1 is billed to their apple account. ive never used uber so idk how they payment works. if it already goes thru apple idk why uber wouldn't just request apple add some kind of abstracted mechanism for preventing promotion abuse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

does apple handle payment for uber tho? i think the idea would be apple would provide a promotions system as part of their payment processing so the user gets their new user $5 bonus but then if they take a $6 ride that extra $1 is billed to their apple account. ive never used uber so idk how they payment works. if it already goes thru apple idk why uber wouldn't just request apple add some kind of abstracted mechanism for preventing promotion abuse.

it doesn't already go through apple, as I tried to say

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so all i was suggesting is that apple might want to push uber and others into apple's payment processing by removing functionality that supports non-apple payment processing. they're perfectly ok with tracking on all other levels so this isn't a privacy thing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
my boss got a bug up his butt and wants to disable 3des on a webserver. is this pro-rear end BangersInMyKnickers post with the ciphers in it still good or were there updates?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

so all i was suggesting is that apple might want to push uber and others into apple's payment processing by removing functionality that supports non-apple payment processing. they're perfectly ok with tracking on all other levels so this isn't a privacy thing.

Apple has always permitted in-app purchase of physical things, without taking a cut. Amazon doesn't pay a cut on their app's toilet paper purchases, but they would on Kindle or streaming video purchases (which is why those aren't available from the app).

all the app-permitted device IDs can be reset by the user, as of iOS something a few years ago

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

not sure how big a fuckup this is yet but it might get pretty entertaining: https://blog.hipchat.com/2017/04/24/hipchat-security-notice/

quote:

This weekend our Security Intelligence Team detected a security incident affecting a server in the HipChat Cloud web tier. The incident involved a vulnerability in a popular third-party library used by HipChat.com. We have found no evidence of other Atlassian systems or products being affected.

As a precaution, we have invalidated passwords on all HipChat-connected user accounts and sent those users instructions on how to reset their password. If you are a user of HipChat.com and do not receive an email from our Security Team with these instructions, we have found no evidence that you are affected by this incident.

We believe this incident may have resulted in unauthorized access to content from the HipChat.com service. Specifically:
  • for all instances (each of which is represented by a unique url—e.g. company.hipchat.com), the attacker may have accessed user account information (including name, email address and hashed password). HipChat hashes passwords using bcrypt with a random salt. Room metadata (including room name and room topic) may have also been accessed.
  • for a small number of instances (less than 0.05%), messages and content in rooms may have been accessed. We are contacting and will work closely with these customers.
  • for the vast majority of instances (more than 99.95%), we have found no evidence that messages or content in rooms have been accessed.
  • Additionally, we have found no evidence of unauthorized access to financial and/or credit card information.

While HipChat Server uses the same third-party library, it is typically deployed in a way that minimizes the risk of this type of attack. We are preparing an update for HipChat Server that will be shared with customers directly through the standard update channel.

We are confident we have isolated the affected systems and closed any unauthorized access. To reiterate, we have found no evidence of other Atlassian systems or products being affected.

This is an ongoing investigation and Atlassian is actively working with law enforcement authorities on the investigation of this matter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

someone recycled a pair of LTE routers that they'd apparently tried to pry either open or out of something with a crowbar, unsuccessfully. they're busted up but they still work. one has a paper logo taped on it that says "Pantry Connectivity Box"

the routers do not have GSM modems or AT&T support, but the verizon sims are still active

well you could potentially run up a bunch of data overage charges on those accounts, but otherwise it's not going to tell you much. maybe the router's configuration will tell you a little about any vpn or internal network routing they used, but they could also just be used as normal routers

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

also, lol at av vendors again:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/856603414763110402
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/764209764133765120

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbh Microsoft should really be signing all of its system files but lol all the same

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

well you could potentially run up a bunch of data overage charges on those accounts, but otherwise it's not going to tell you much. maybe the router's configuration will tell you a little about any vpn or internal network routing they used, but they could also just be used as normal routers

wonder how illegal it is to use them for low-bandwidth sneaky things

wonder how well companies keep tabs on their M2M accounts

wonder if they can get the modem's (A)GPS position from verizon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

they usually charge per active sim for m2m accounts so they should be on top of that

but this is the security fuckup thread so...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

instead of touching the poop, wrap the sims in paper towels soaked in cooking oil and set them on fire out behind the dumpster

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

They seem to have loaded all their routers with at&t backup sims that can't actually be used so I'm thinking maybe they're not actually on top of it

If I do use these routers it'll probably be after I switch to Google fi and can get a bunch of data sims tied into my account

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

if you don't actively cause them to incur more charges than they would have otherwise received, it's probably not illegal enough for prosecution. they also might already be deactivated in the systems so attempting to use them to connect to the networks will fail unless you take them into a carrier office to get put on a new account

they probably don't pay much attention

they can absolutely get the cell tower/real gps location (if the routers have gps hardware) from verizon if they need to investigate, like if you start causing them to have 100 gb overages or you use the connection for Crimes.

here's my suggestion: rig up a solar panel/battery solution to connect them to, deposit them in the middle of a desert next time you're out there, that you know has appropriate carrier coverage, and maybe attach some small device to make sure a heartbeat signal goes out for as long as the devices can get signal and power. see how long it takes for them to be too damaged by weathering to maintain a connection. buy your own cheap prepaid sims to do this instead with the beat up routers and toss the existing cards because those can totally be tracked. i think that'd be neat.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

here's my suggestion: rig up a solar panel/battery solution to connect them to, deposit them in the middle of a desert next time you're out there, that you know has appropriate carrier coverage, and maybe attach some small device to make sure a heartbeat signal goes out for as long as the devices can get signal and power. see how long it takes for them to be too damaged by weathering to maintain a connection. buy your own cheap prepaid sims to do this instead with the beat up routers and toss the existing cards because those can totally be tracked. i think that'd be neat.

put it on wheels so it drives around like a mars rover and emails you pictures

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do the routers have an at command terminal? no harm in checking if they're registered (at+creg)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

literally 100% my entire plan already

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

do the routers have an at command terminal? no harm in checking if they're registered (at+creg)

i factory reset both of em already and don't remember a facility for that :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

literally 100% my entire plan already

nice

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol https://twitter.com/fleximinx/status/856604090666803201 (courtesy: rufo)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
the Tor trick in particular is something ive not come across before

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

its like something out of a 90s cyberthriller. beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Spouseware is disgusting poo poo and people doing things for stuff besides money makes me nostalgic.

• Locked thread