Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

The Puppet Master posted:

It is reported that he has only been faithful to his wife

It doesn't have to be infidelity. Surely he's had like a coke habit or something? He was a banker after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A banker who does a bit of charlie on the weekends? Sacre bleu!

This is a vote between literal genuine fascism and the status quo, any scandal for either Le Pen or Macron is irrelevant, because it is a conflict of ideas and not people.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Liberating Paris was the worst mistake we ever made.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Venezuelans are on the verge of eating every single PSUV voter

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

Liberating Paris was the worst mistake we ever made.
"Actually it was the French who liberated Paris without any need for help from the Anglos, les Ricains, or les Russes." - your average FNer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jBrereton posted:

"Actually it was the French who liberated Paris without any need for help from the Anglos, les Ricains, or les Russes." - your average FNer.

Vichy France wasn't actually France - FN

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Nonsense posted:

Venezuelans are on the verge of eating every single PSUV voter

good

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Vichy France wasn't actually France - FN
Only the bad bits of Vichy weren't France. The forthright defence of French values, though, and the loyal sailors brutally slain by the perfidious Albion at Mers-al-Kebir? French as they come. -FN

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
im not sure why it's a surprise to a lot of people that the french turned out to be terrible when they literally have a governmental bureau whose entire mission is the protection of the french language from idioms and influence from other, more barbarous languages

this is literally a government organization that tells people to stop using popular idioms because they are not french enough lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

White Rock posted:

hamon is much further center compared to Mélenchon. Universal basic income, more democratic systems and the legalization of pot sounds to me like:

I dunno if I'd call UBI a "symbolic concession"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Coolguye posted:

im not sure why it's a surprise to a lot of people that the french turned out to be terrible when they literally have a governmental bureau whose entire mission is the protection of the french language from idioms and influence from other, more barbarous languages

this is literally a government organization that tells people to stop using popular idioms because they are not french enough lol

tbf English is unusual among major languages in that it doesn't have some sort of purported governing/regulatory body

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
what is "pitable cooks" supposed to mean, our food is bad?? because every dish isn't just meat+cream??

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The french academy doesn't ban borrowings though. The last spelling reform included a ton of them mostly so that they fit the phonetics of the language (as spoken in Paris, lol). And there's a bunch of prescriptivists who would cream themselves if english had such a thing.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

"sacre bleu" exclaims the frenchman, biting into a mildly spicy taco

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

france is actually cool, and a healthy disdain for americans is pretty goddamn reasonable, now more than ever

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LGD posted:

tbf English is unusual among major languages in that it doesn't have some sort of purported governing/regulatory body

german, spanish, and japanese also do not have governmental governing bodies

spanish you can kinda understand because like english it's the primary language across half of the globe, but germans happily incorporate 'sorry' and other brief englishisms whenever they're useful to the situation. japanese has an entire character set specifically to make foreign words easier to integrate into the language, and the number of english and german knockoff words in common use has increased steadily over the last 2 to the outrage of approximately nobody

france is pretty unique in the amount of effort they exert to keep their linguistic tree fort to themselves

Agnosticnixie posted:

The french academy doesn't ban borrowings though
they do not

so long as they're french enough by the academy's subjective elitist standards lol

Vox Nihili posted:

france is actually cool, and a healthy disdain for americans is pretty goddamn reasonable, now more than ever

it's less disdain for americans and more disdain for literally everyone who is not french

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/856577279341850625

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i hope she is elected so that we can get lots of news stories that have the sentence fragment "le pen is" in it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's hard to top FRENCH REVOLUTION :smith:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Vox Nihili posted:

france is poo poo, disliking america isn't special

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

what lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

huuuh?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the gently caress is the meaning of that

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

i hope she is elected so that we can get lots of news stories that have the sentence fragment "le pen is" in it
Obligatory La Haine Scene

jBrereton has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Apr 24, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Coolguye posted:

the gently caress is the meaning of that

maybe she's about to get arrested or something?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LinYutang posted:

france is poo poo, disliking america isn't special

their politics are maybe 1000x more interesting than ours

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
She's trying to no longer be the face of FN and be the true candidate "au nom du peuple" I guess.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

jBrereton posted:

She's trying to no longer be the face of FN and be the true candidate "au nom du peuple" I guess.

god i hope not

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Condiv posted:

maybe she's about to get arrested or something?

so i know basically nothing about french politics, am i correct in assuming that this is pretty much unprecedented

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Maybe she's also trying to gauge who's going to be her main competitor inside FN in autumn when the party has a leadership election.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

:captainpop:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Coolguye posted:

so i know basically nothing about french politics, am i correct in assuming that this is pretty much unprecedented

i don't know a ton about french politics either, i've only lived here a short while yet

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Its goin down

I'm yellin timber

e: this might be a feint to appear more moderate and get votes idk

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
she's still a candidate in the second round, just temporarily stepping down as the leader of her party (Front National)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chokes McGee posted:

Its goin down

I'm yellin timber

e: this might be a feint to appear more moderate and get votes idk

but she's still in the FN, dunno how it moderates her much

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mannerup posted:

she's still a candidate in the second round, just stepping down as the leader of her party (Front National)

She's one of two candidates in the final round and if France doesn't learn from what happened in noted country of fat pigs America then I'm never going to stop laughing

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
*in extremely French chef voice*

Ze french election, she is like making a roulade. In the first stage, you try to make your little blob substantive enough to succeed. In the second, you spread. And then you see how ze public cooks you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chokes McGee posted:

She's one of two candidates in the final round and if France doesn't learn from what happened in noted country of fat pigs America then I'm never going to stop laughing

they've already messed up in pitting a centrist responsible for the previous admin being so hated and who has said that terrorism is "just something we'll have to get used to" against a fascist promising change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Condiv posted:

they've already messed up in pitting a centrist responsible for the previous admin being so hated and who has said that terrorism is "just something we'll have to get used to" against a fascist promising change

When we said history repeats itself we didn't mean in the span of a couple of months :gonk:

• Locked thread