Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KakerMix posted:

They didn't make many of them right? If you want one that's the only thing to get as there is nothing else to get like it.
Yup, only 4153 were made for the US.

Guess I could get one when this Prius dies, so never. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whatever dude. I still really want one.

I saw two at the same time last week!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

financially racist posted:

SW20s have been coming down in price for quite a while. 3k is very much on the low end, but a good NA should not cost much more than 5k or so. You should get in while they are this cheap, it can't last forever and I am willing to bet that in the next 5-10 years they'll start rising in price again as good ones become harder to find.

I recommend not buying a turbo, it seems like everyone who owns one is an idiot in my experience. Plus I think the NA looks better (the turbo fog lights make it look like it has buck teeth, and the turbo fiberglass engine cover rattles around and makes a terrible racket). NAs are not fast cars but that's what 2GR swaps are for.

If you make it up to Portland, send me a message. I've got a friend with like 6 of those- 2 of them swapped.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Getting really close to being race ready.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

financially racist posted:

SW20s have been coming down in price for quite a while. 3k is very much on the low end, but a good NA should not cost much more than 5k or so. You should get in while they are this cheap, it can't last forever and I am willing to bet that in the next 5-10 years they'll start rising in price again as good ones become harder to find.

I recommend not buying a turbo, it seems like everyone who owns one is an idiot in my experience. Plus I think the NA looks better (the turbo fog lights make it look like it has buck teeth, and the turbo fiberglass engine cover rattles around and makes a terrible racket). NAs are not fast cars but that's what 2GR swaps are for.

Can vouch for being an idiot with a turbo! Also I can see how the front bumper looks nicer without the front fogs, but for some reason almost every SW in the rest of the world tends to have em barring a few very early base models with the 3sfe. It's very hard to find a front bumper without them that isn't from the us! The fiberglass turbo lid also shouldn't rattle unless it's been hosed around with by some 15 year old, all the cars I've been in that's never been a problem.

A friend bought a car with that had been 2gr swapped but it's a creaky-leaky t-bar so he's swapping it into a nicer black hardtop shell, I had a go in it before he tore the t-bar chassis apart and wasn't that blown away by it barring the sound it made. It felt about on par with a std 3rd gen turbo, but makes the car feel like a modern one in a good way. It's just a shame the 2gr costs so much here due to nobody buying lexus suv's with petrol v6's here.

Actual content, this is the best my car is ever going to look lol and it's probably photoshopped to hell.

The car now has a nice cracked windscreen, someone scraped the front bumper slightly and the paint is covered in swirlmarks. Somehow all this happened with the car not being used over the winter :iiam:

Got a bunch of poo poo sitting around in a friends garage and in my house including a low mileage longblock to be rebuilt and a gearbox that doesn't have shot syncros in 2nd. Hopefully i'll get it all sorted at the same time as the mate with the 2gr so we can do some trackdays (bro) together.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ugh. That MR2 is gorgeous, dude.

Pulled my turd out of storage a couple weeks ago, finally.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This looks good as hell my mate!
We need to go back to Bedford.
Them wheels are good but where's the other ones!
Fill your plate holes and make a removable bracket also.
Thanks.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Is it possible for an average person to do a good job detailing their car? I'd like to do this for mothers day for my wife... but I'm not sure if it's something I should leave to the professionals. I figured this thread is filled with lots of people who detail their cars themselves... so give me your thoughts and attach any good guides you know about.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Vital Signs posted:

Is it possible for an average person to do a good job detailing their car? I'd like to do this for mothers day for my wife... but I'm not sure if it's something I should leave to the professionals. I figured this thread is filled with lots of people who detail their cars themselves... so give me your thoughts and attach any good guides you know about.

Over here my friend.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

Pay a couple hundred bucks and let the pros do it. Otherwise, if you are starting with no supplies, your still out 70 - 100 to do a real detailing, and that's if you have vacuum access. Oh yea and like a half a day.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks to both of you!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Unless your car started from detailer-fresh in the last 6 months or so and just needs a wipe down, it's so worth just paying a pro $200 to do a full exterior for you because like he said, you're out the not insignificant price of the supplies to start doing this + an entire day of effort and you'll miss half the stuff the guy who knows what he's doing will get anyway. Also your hands will really hurt from all the fiddly detail oriented stuff that requires weird contortions to apply the right amount of force to clean, etc. If you're not used to doing poo poo like that.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
This is exactly the type of answers I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it and have a local place with good reviews lined up for a full details inside and out. I guess my other question is, what best practice can I do between details to make the detail last?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Vital Signs posted:

This is exactly the type of answers I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it and have a local place with good reviews lined up for a full details inside and out. I guess my other question is, what best practice can I do between details to make the detail last?

I've been told that a place that doesn't clay your car before polishing isn't truly detailing it...

That said, I don't value my time and love painful menial labor so who knows.

Keeping car clean for me involves a double bucket wash job with a silt catch once in a while.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
They do specify that the machine buff service includes clay. Thanks for the heads up.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Spent money on a new (to me) car instead of replacing the driveway that is crumbling away.

It's a DCT, bite me.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

track day bro! posted:

Can vouch for being an idiot with a turbo! Also I can see how the front bumper looks nicer without the front fogs, but for some reason almost every SW in the rest of the world tends to have em barring a few very early base models with the 3sfe. It's very hard to find a front bumper without them that isn't from the us! The fiberglass turbo lid also shouldn't rattle unless it's been hosed around with by some 15 year old, all the cars I've been in that's never been a problem.

A friend bought a car with that had been 2gr swapped but it's a creaky-leaky t-bar so he's swapping it into a nicer black hardtop shell, I had a go in it before he tore the t-bar chassis apart and wasn't that blown away by it barring the sound it made. It felt about on par with a std 3rd gen turbo, but makes the car feel like a modern one in a good way. It's just a shame the 2gr costs so much here due to nobody buying lexus suv's with petrol v6's here.

Actual content, this is the best my car is ever going to look lol and it's probably photoshopped to hell.

The car now has a nice cracked windscreen, someone scraped the front bumper slightly and the paint is covered in swirlmarks. Somehow all this happened with the car not being used over the winter :iiam:

Got a bunch of poo poo sitting around in a friends garage and in my house including a low mileage longblock to be rebuilt and a gearbox that doesn't have shot syncros in 2nd. Hopefully i'll get it all sorted at the same time as the mate with the 2gr so we can do some trackdays (bro) together.

Non Targa sw20s look so loving good.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Went a little crazy yesterday. Bought an E36 to replace the Prelude as a daily and bought another WRX to replace the totaled one. I'm not getting rid of my Prelude, just going to put it away for the majority of the time so it doesn't get lovely from the PA roads, or totaled from some chuckle gently caress running a stop sign like they like to do around here. The E36 is a 97 328is with 127k miles and some suspension/chassis upgrades that I found by chance on a local Ford dealer website. The WRX is a 2017 Limited with nav, keyless, and Harman Kardon. I would have preferred a base model but WRB was the only color I really wanted and I'm glad I got the Limited. The leather seats are very nice and the upgraded infotainment over the base is definitely an improvement.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dirty as poo poo, but I just finished throwing 17x9 Enkei RPF1s with 255/40 all around on the S2000. Raised the suspension about half an inch all around and rolled the poo poo out of the fenders. Still rubs a little bit in the back, I'll fix it tomorrow.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 29, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Those enkeis look awesome my dude 😎

NAME A MORE ICONIC DUO. I'LL WAIT.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
ffffffuuuuuuckkkkk

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Hell yes. NT03's look amazing on E46's.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Those enkeis look awesome my dude 😎

NAME A MORE ICONIC DUO. I'LL WAIT.

The Chuckle brothers.

I bet you end up tracking the clio though.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

BlackMK4 posted:

Dirty as poo poo, but I just finished throwing 17x9 Enkei RPF1s with 255/40 all around on the S2000. Raised the suspension about half an inch all around and rolled the poo poo out of the fenders. Still rubs a little bit in the back, I'll fix it tomorrow.

Man I've always wanted to do a square setup with RPF1s on my old AP2. Nice work!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't really regret it... but I wish I'd taken more time rolling my fenders.

Looks meaty as gently caress in person with the 255s.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
My first new car, ever.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
dang

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

My first new car, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Huge_Midget posted:

My first new car, ever.

Sick as hell :dong:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Huge_Midget posted:

My first new car, ever.

gently caress yeah dude, grats and be sure to enjoy it verily.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bruv. Yes. I do love me one of these... Keep looking at them, might suggest it to a friend so we can grab one between us to play with.

Did you roll past me on the A46 about 45 minutes ago sir? I spotted a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice one of these pass me earlier, similar wheels from what I could tell, pretty low too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Did you roll past me on the A46 about 45 minutes ago sir? I spotted a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice one of these pass me earlier, similar wheels from what I could tell, pretty low too.

I would think that now that he can outrun speed cameras, any sighting of his car would just be an unidentifiable blue blur.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

My first new car, ever.

Do a drift mode!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I did! I stared idly at an og supra as I was stuck in traffic. No idea it was you!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

I did! I stared idly at an og supra as I was stuck in traffic. No idea it was you!

Noice, it looks fully sick my friend.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Focus RS, good choice.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Focus RS. Hope you've kept up with your leg days. Stiffest clutch I've ever suffered.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

No. 6 posted:

Focus RS. Hope you've kept up with your leg days. Stiffest clutch I've ever suffered.

You've never driven a Fox body, have you? I think the clutch in the RS is on the firmer side, but by no means stiff. The engagement point is close to the floor though, so it can be tricky to shift smoothly.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Got her all cleaned up for Toyotafest in Long Beach tomorrow. :wiggle:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Noice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nice Prius but there's some boxy old car in the way in your photos.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 6, 2017