Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
  1. Change TOS to specifically disallow any and all refunds
  2. Hand out refunds to anyone asking it
  3. ???
  4. TOS sucssfull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
Soiled Meat
The TOS is worthless until they actually ship a game. They can put whatever they want on paper but until they deliver their product, anyone and everyone can get their deposit back.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

These guys are morons, who deny everything when busted. I am just going to post what I posted on my forum.

Not to mention that the nutjobs parked on the Reddit hate-sub, amid the death threats, now-removed doxing, campaigns to harass my wife and family etc, are all crying foul. And we have lots and lots of posts - all imaged for posterity. This is just a sampling. And it's always the same handful of people.

- harassing my family

http://i.imgur.com/ott7Un2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JV9znAV.jpg

- death threats

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/648532737989681152

https://twitter.com/AgentGB1/status/652974058502549504

http://mmofallout.com/derek-smart-indie-devs-and-death-threats/

- doxing

https://archive.is/lwXnt/4dc20577cea553c809069836a8a2f815c7a4ed36.jpg

https://archive.fo/vMPyZ

- review bombing

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg1182#msg1182

- attempts to disrupt my business

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg1336;topicseen#msg1336

- pretty much everything else

https://archive.fo/KIiu1

Aside from their latest in which they attribute every "Derek Smart" to me; to the extent of accusing me of having committed crimes, wanted (I'm apparently hiding in plain sight) by the police etc.

Don't forget that this is all over a loving video game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The fact CIG doesn't enforce its TOS only proves they consider it as worthless as the rest of us do

In other legal news, apparently Fuzzy Modem had a status hearing this morning, but I don't know the outcome until the systems are updated. A status hearing is where there's an opportunity to settle with the prosecution, discuss the case and any further evidence and figure out the next steps.

He's already had four status hearings this month, so they should be getting much closer to setting a trial date.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Drunk Theory posted:

Yah, CIG folded on that one right quick. Probably would have been more amusing if they would have tried to fight it out with people instead.

:owned:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

1. Change TOS to specifically disallow any and all refunds
  2. Hand out refunds to anyone asking it
  3. ???
  4. TOS sucssfull

MoMA buddy you are alright sometimes but this "There are no legal challenges :smug:" and "There was no compulsion by the DA" when CIG initially refused a refund then immediately gave it when contacted by the DA aren't really arguable points.

I'd give you more credit if you argued for why the game will be revolutionary or how mechanics will work somehow.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:smuggo: "We have the best army in the world."

:v: "How can you tell? It retreats from every battle it gets into."

:smuggo: "Well we've never lost a man in combat!"

:v: "..."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Iron-clad TOS vs July blog is like the Monitor vs. the Merrimac. Lots of noise, nothing actually changes.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
I unironically think MOMA is a great poster. He can derail the thread for pages with a single comment, and people have been arguing the TOS with him for like 3000 pages.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
Soiled Meat
Not to mention he isn't constantly trying to refer people to his blogs, and walls of text.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lladre posted:

Not to mention he isn't constantly trying to refer people to his blogs, and walls of text.

My promise to you is to never refer you to a blog or forum post of mine.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No one post a link to dereksmart or sc subreddits

Dont want mirificus to lose his sole purpose in life

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

No, actually CIG is hiring people just to spite Derek. Derek Smart, job creator.

tickle down economics once again saves the day

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
its really insane that they need to hire 14 engineers (9 senior!) 6 years into a project.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nicholas posted:

its really insane that they need to hire 14 engineers (9 senior!) 6 years into a project.

They had to do it sooner or later. Can't keep up appearances without them, after all.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'll have you all know that I'm very upset about spam in the Star Citizen thread.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Space Court.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Tippis posted:

They had to do it sooner or later. Can't keep up appearances without them, after all.

I mean, they claim to have spent the first year just building the company. If it was about anything other than appearances, that should've been enough time to hire everyone they neeed or scale back the scope of the project.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Nicholas posted:

And according to the time stamps, 7 of the engineering positions (all in Germany) were posted today!

EDIT: In fact, they just posted a shitload of positions for Germany including:

Senior Animator, Lead Animator, Lead Cinematics Animator, Senior Environment Artist, Environment Artist, Senior Tools Programmer, Senior Game/Animation Programmer, Senior Engine Programmer, Senior Game/AI Programmer, Senior Graphics Programmer, Senior Game Programmer, Physics Programmer, and a Producer.

That is a lot of senior staff there, folks.

Anyone hear anything from any little birdies coming from Deutschland?

MinorInconvenience fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 24, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They are just gonna lay off all these people after they hire them right? Otherwise the hiring doesn't really jibe with the 100% layoff action :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

A simple game could get 1000 people in the same area, assuming the server is just communicating coordinates and doesn't require much latency.

Realtime 3D information? with speed? orientation? How about weapon firing? Not without a seriously heavy duty server, and I think even then a good consumer internet connection would bottleneck before 500 players.
Counter Strike and probably most source engine servers take 20 snapshot per second to get the responsiveness required for a high action game, doing that with 1000 players is not realistic with current architecture.

Is there anything outside the Planetside games that have even been around the 1000 player mark? Even those use tons of tricks and still have performance issues because of the scale...

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
2500 new posts, what the hell happened?

Oh, Dr. Smart has returned.

two weeks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MinorInconvenience posted:

Anyone hear anything from any little birdies coming from Deutschland?

Springtime for Roberts and Germany.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

Given enough people and a long enough timescale, they should be able to come up with the BDSSE.

Nicholas posted:

I mean, they claim to have spent the first year just building the company. If it was about anything other than appearances, that should've been enough time to hire everyone they neeed or scale back the scope of the project.

They had turnover in the first couple of years when they went through the 'competing team' bullshit, but I find that whole 'team-building' poo poo to be suspicious as all hell given the amount that they sub-contracted, and my personal belief is that they attempted to do distributed teams without the backbone in place, which they started to produce at the end of last year.

IOW, everything up until this point was Tech Demo.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Springtime for Roberts and Germany.

They're moving to 128-bit precision.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Most AAA games take 5+ years to develop.

Most AAA games do not START hiring loads of senior developers 5 years in.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

Is there anything outside the Planetside games that have even been around the 1000 player mark? Even those use tons of tricks and still have performance issues because of the scale...

Eve online, but don't go there.

Edit: Gonna go there. Eve used to use an open-ended model for the systems where however busy the given system was depended on how much metal was reserved for it. A system like Jita would have it's own blade, whereas a bunch of nullsecs could share one. It meant for a a while that the size of fleets required to take down capital facilities required you scheduling the battle in advance. Getting a thousand people into a reinforced node would still tank the ability of the blade to handle the surge, so the usual action was to handle the 1 fps by triggering your guns, then turning them off to attempt to make sure that they would clear for the next cycle.

There was a sheer limit in the amount of data you could move across interfaces that really didn't get fixed until dilation, and I've moved on since then, but it's telling that Eve Online effectively _cheated_ by lengthening the unit time.

Planetside handled things a bit differently, with nodes being specific hexes on the map. Originally they tried to hide the mechnic, but people figured that and if you used a particular mod on an APC, you could disconnect the entire hex. Get enough people into a hex and hits stop registering.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

Which makes it incredible to see how advanced Star Citizen is when development hasn't even started. What we've got so far is just stuff the Crobbler coded in his spare time.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

big nipples big life posted:

They are just gonna lay off all these people after they hire them right? Otherwise the hiring doesn't really jibe with the 100% layoff action :ohdear:

They were laid off but are welcome to reapply for their old jobs at severely reduced salary. This is what successful companies do to reduce costs. Fire everyone that knows what they're doing and make them grovel to work at the company making the BDSSE.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I know you're the naive anti-Smart, but layoffs are usually going to be localized; hiring in Germany could indicate moving from another place. We also don't get any decent word of layoffs (ie they're not published and are largely rumor), but we do get to see what they're hiring for and possibly what the current teams actually are.

Why is this important? Because this doesn't really look like a game being built by 300 people. That's EA level poo poo and they write their own engines.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

That's blog 3.0, we're waiting on the schedule for it.

bun tax

Is that a anime? Seems pretty bad and gross.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

Is that a anime? Seems pretty bad and gross.

blasphemy

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

On the 1,000 player thing, it's worth plugging in few figures to get a feel for that scale. Let's assume a bare minimum update packet of 64 bytes per player, with updates sent out every 50ms. If all the players are close enough to interact this is a 12MB/sec download for the client, meaning a minimum connection speed of 100 megabits is needed for a decent time. On the server side this is means a peak upstream bandwidth requirement of 1,000 x 12MB/sec, or 96,000 megabits.

So you can see why it's not particularly practical. On average it would be more like a quarter or half of this much, but the packet size would in reality be bigger, so it probably balances out.

If we assume the server is fully loaded with poopsockers 8 hours per day, this amounts to 10TB of traffic per month just for this one instance. How much does that cost?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

I know you're the naive anti-Smart, but layoffs are usually going to be localized; hiring in Germany could indicate moving from another place. We also don't get any decent word of layoffs (ie they're not published and are largely rumor), but we do get to see what they're hiring for and possibly what the current teams actually are.

Why is this important? Because this doesn't really look like a game being built by 300 people. That's EA level poo poo and they write their own engines.

Or it's just another one of the hundreds of times derek smart has talked out his rear end to draw attention to derek smart, since that is the reason for his whole crusade.

One time he's hit a prediction, the POTATO, that's the only one. The agent has been right more than a few times and now even MoMA has been right more times (lmbo).

CIG has gone from hilarious rapid fire gently caress ups to just one big, long, drawn out, boring gently caress up so laughing at dr. warlord's gently caress ups has just honestly become more fun.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Colostomy Bag posted:

Then toss in the 9:1 NPC to player ratio that have full subsumption along with personal lives and schedules.

The 9:1 NPC ratio is one of those funny things that Chris just threw out there that makes no loving sense. Think about it...

Let's assume SC is one day a huge success and sells millions, concurrent player count is 100,000 online at any one time, that means 900,000 NPCs, right? 900k is ridiculous number of NPCs to have! Can you interact with these people? Do they talk? How do you voice nearly a million different NPCs without them all using the same canned responses? How do you simulate the actions of all these individuals? So far they've managed a cultural diversity of 6ft bald, white male. They've got some way to go before being able to produce a convincing population.

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking "but Wrecked, we know all this", but hang on. I'm not saying a million NPCs is dumb because it's a big number, I'm saying that 1 million NPCs is dumb because it's a ridiculously small number!

The population of Paris is just over 2 million people. In one moderately sized city of a moderately populated country on what it turns out, is actually quite a bloody small planet! We have double the entire population of the Star Citizen universe. Okay, so maybe the population in the future is really spread out? Might make sense being as we've conquered space and all to not all live crowded together? Yeah, well who the gently caress is living in this place then?

Now I couldn't really give a poo poo about how many NPCs Star Citizen will really have, how many are sensible or how many are feasible. I'm just pointing out that when Chris spouted that 9:1 poo poo which is now recited as gospel, he hadn't thought about how many people that really was. He hadn't considered how many AI he could feasibly simulate. He hadn't even thought about how many NPCs would be needed to give a decent feel to the universe (if he had, he probably would have realised a more sensible number might be a trillion). He just farted this bullshit out of his lying loving mushmouth along with all the other crap to sell some more ~dreams~, what a loving rear end in a top hat!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
The 9:1 thing is almost as funny as him saying you won't be able to tell AI from real players

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The citizens believing it are more funny than both.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

What, you don't believe Chris can afford to run the hardware to run 900,000 AIs that can pass the turing test just for a videogame, let alone actually make one of them even work at all? Always a cynic. :rolleyes:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Nicholas posted:

Looks to me like they are trying to quickly form a game development team, to make a game.

Maybe the recent drop in peoples generosity has shaken them to the point where they've realised that they do in fact need to produce a product within a shorter than expected timeframe and they can't just ride the wave of free money indefinitely.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Wrecked Angle posted:

The 9:1 NPC ratio is one of those funny things that Chris just threw out there that makes no loving sense. Think about it...

Let's assume SC is one day a huge success and sells millions, concurrent player count is 100,000 online at any one time, that means 900,000 NPCs, right? 900k is ridiculous number of NPCs to have! Can you interact with these people? Do they talk? How do you voice nearly a million different NPCs without them all using the same canned responses? How do you simulate the actions of all these individuals? So far they've managed a cultural diversity of 6ft bald, white male. They've got some way to go before being able to produce a convincing population.

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking "but Wrecked, we know all this", but hang on. I'm not saying a million NPCs is dumb because it's a big number, I'm saying that 1 million NPCs is dumb because it's a ridiculously small number!

The population of Paris is just over 2 million people. In one moderately sized city of a moderately populated country on what it turns out, is actually quite a bloody small planet! We have double the entire population of the Star Citizen universe. Okay, so maybe the population in the future is really spread out? Might make sense being as we've conquered space and all to not all live crowded together? Yeah, well who the gently caress is living in this place then?

Now I couldn't really give a poo poo about how many NPCs Star Citizen will really have, how many are sensible or how many are feasible. I'm just pointing out that when Chris spouted that 9:1 poo poo which is now recited as gospel, he hadn't thought about how many people that really was. He hadn't considered how many AI he could feasibly simulate. He hadn't even thought about how many NPCs would be needed to give a decent feel to the universe (if he had, he probably would have realised a more sensible number might be a trillion). He just farted this bullshit out of his lying loving mushmouth along with all the other crap to sell some more ~dreams~, what a loving rear end in a top hat!

I love this post, because it perfectly captures the realities of Star Citizen: it's not thought out at any level, and not a single aspect of it works or makes any sense at all, from any conceivable perspective. The fact that it's being touted as highly as it is makes it even more insulting - this isn't even good enough work to qualify as a parody of a game, much less the one that will save PC gaming.

Imagine what kind of game could have been made if someone worth something could have gotten that $150 million. That might be the saddest part of this.