Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Uh that shot of Jun through the darkened and broken camera is really creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Yeah, that's a pretty effective shot. I have a feeling Ena's gonna get pretty messed up soon. Or maybe I'm just really hoping Salyu will re-enter the story already.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Conflict with Teach or Sudden Tag-Teamup are both likely options. Watase doesn't exactly have time to mess around with the Engine Cutter clock ticking.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

asymmetrical posted:

Uh that shot of Jun through the darkened and broken camera is really creepy.

Just imagine if they actually had the spritework to show her holding the engine cutter.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

KILL ONE, SAVE A THOUSAND: 09/16/2030, 16:41

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Huh, wh-what!?
What!?

The metal-cutting sound kept echoing beyond the iron door... but eventually, it abruptly stopped.

(What... was that!?)

Natsuhiko looked at the iron door with a bad feeling in his gut. It was supposedly sturdy enough to withstand fires and explosions. And yet-- there was no lock!

Yuuri, Mr. Ukita! Is there no way to make sure that door can't open!?
N-no!
Why would an emergency shelter even have a lock on the inside!?
Then let's pin down that door with some--!

But before Natsuhiko could finish, the door opened with a heavy thud.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

...So there really was a hidden room here, huh?

And the one who stood in the doorway was none other than Jun. She looked around the shelter and spoke up as soon as she spotted Ukita.

Mr. Ukita. You slip outta my sight for a second, and then I find you in a place like-- wait...! Natsuhiko? Yuuri? And even Mashiro too!? Why are you all here...?
W-well, that's...

When Jun focused her eyes on him, Natsuhiko found himself at a loss for words. Jun's eyes picked up on Natsuhiko's and Mashiro's wounds-- and then she gritted her teeth.

...Mr. Ukita, you bastard...

You weren't satisfied just attacking me, so you laid your hands on the kids too!?
!

Ukita's body froze up with a twitch. Natsuhiko panicked and put himself between them.

H-hold on a second, Jun!
Why are you stopping me!? This old fart whacked me on the head, you know!? And look at you kids! You're all covered in wounds! He's the one who shot you, isn't he!?
No, you're wrong. Mr. Ukita's not at fault!
S-so um... please, stop...

Jun stared at Natsuhiko and Yuuri in confusion.

Why are you two stopping me...? You're acting strange, guys... Why would you cover for a criminal...
Look, you've got it all wrong! Mr. Ukita was, well, being manipulated!
Like I'd buy such a bullshit--

Jun suddenly stopped speaking. A look of realization then crossed her face.

Oh... now I get it... You kids are in cahoots with the old man, aren't you?
Wh-what brings you to that conclusion!?
That's it, isn't it? Yuuri disappeared in the middle of things, and you and Mashiro were nowhere to be found no matter how much we searched and searched. You kids teamed up with Mr. Ukita and tried to kill everyone. When you take the remaining stock of AD into consideration, there's no way for all nine of us trapped here to survive. So you guys plotted to kill three of us off to save yourselves. It all fits when you think of it that way, doesn't it?

There was nothing strange about Jun's tone of voice. She sounded completely rational. But the actual content of her words was completely devoid of reason.

J-Jun...!
(I never expected the Jun I knew would become like this...!)

He shuddered in renewed fear of Subject N's power. Jun's maddened eyes glared at the kids as she spoke.

You guys were the ones who killed Dojima and Hiyama and stole all the AD too, weren't you!? Why in the world would you do such a thing? Why? They were genuine rescue workers who lived for the sake of saving people's lives... So why'd you have to go and kill them!?

Jun readied the engine cutter.

Jun froze and let out a snort of disbelief.

Hmm~? What's with the tough guy act, huh? Could that thing be filled with the bullets you snatched from me?
No, it's a different gun. One that actually has a magazine this time. Lay a hand on those kids and I'll shoot.
I see how it is... Well, there's a whole lotta things I'd like to say, but... Go ahead. Make my day.
I'm seriously going to shoot...!
You don't have the guts to do it. Your actions lack the confidence.
What...?
If you were going to kill me, then you shoulda just gone and done it when you snatched the bullets.
Wh-what are you saying!? You think I could've done that!?
It's because you lacked true conviction that you left me alive, wasn't it? Guess in the end, you're just a weak, half-assed man who can't even commit to good or evil.
Sh... shut up!

Right as Ukita screamed those words-- A gunshot rang out.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Can't wait for Jun to reveal she's so skilled with a buzzsaw that she can slice incoming bullets.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I like how they zoomed in so they wouldn't have to make another picture of not-crazy Ukita.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Believe: 09/16/2030, 16:43

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Watase called out to her in a subdued voice. He had to get back to the shelter as soon as possible. He couldn't have Ena holding him up. She kept her gun trained on him and answered.

I can't do that...! Mr. Ukita told me that you're a terrorist.
You're not denying it?
...I can't. It's the truth, after all. I've been plotting an attack on LABO for a year now. I remembered that after I got all my memories back.
Then are you really a rescue worker?
Yeah, I am... Hilarious, isn't it? I was partaking in a terrorist plot while working to save lives...
It's not funny... not at all.

A lonely smile then formed on Ena's face.

...I was hoping that Mr. Ukita was lying.

The 'Captain Kasasagi' I knew well... was a man who would run through contaminated zones and poisonous gas to save others.

Watase's heart ached at that question. He didn't have long to talk. However-- He felt that he had to tell her the truth in order to get her to lower her gun.

Huh...?
Back then, I just felt sad. But it wasn't until many years later that I learned the truth.

But the ones behind Rokumei City and LABO covered all that up...

There were very few who knew that truth. The only ones who did were Q, the affected individuals-- and the Rokumei City government. Ena listened to him all the way through, then quietly answered.

...I knew.
...I see.

''So she really is with the Rokumei City Security Department''-- Watase continued as he thought that.

I couldn't stand the idea that those who deserved to be punished had avoided their judgment. It made me sick to think the ones who were secretly behind that incident were living cozily without taking responsibility for their actions. That was my entire motive for assaulting LABO and trying to abduct the test subjects... to bring the truth to light.

Ena bitterly gritted her teeth. Watase couldn't tell what that look on her face meant. She then barely managed to squeeze her next words out.

Were you the one who shot her?
...No. It was either Dojima or Hiyama, my comrades.
You're blaming this on the dead?
No, that's not it... Had things played out even slightly differently, I might have ended up being the one who shot her instead.
Huh...?
Dojima, Hiyama, and I were not in the right mind. Since you know about the truth of the fire 16 years ago, I'm guessing you know about how people were infected by Communicator A's malice too. Well, something just like that... is happening all over again in this facility right now.
!!

It seemed Ena had figured out everything from that one sentence. As expected of someone working for the government in the shadows. Watase nodded and continued.

And as a result... I shot Mashiro Toba and Natsuhiko as well.
...No...
I'm sorry, Teach. I'm not a rescue worker anymore. I'm just a terrorist.
B-but... you don't look like you're infected with malice...!
Right you are. You can thank Natsuhiko and Yuuri for that. They're the ones who set me free from that malice. And so I--

Ena's eyes widened.

What did you just say?
Well, you see, they repaired my memories using Senses Sympathy... and set me free from the malice.
Wait, what are you talking about!? That's news to me! Repairing memories with Senses Sympathy!? Setting someone free from malice!? Are you telling me Mr. Tenkawa and Ms. Yuuri can do all that!?
Wh... what!?

Watase was astonished.

(Wh-what's going on!? Shouldn't members of the security department know all about Natsuhiko and Yuuri!? Are LABO and the security department not on the same page!? No, that can't be! They'd never screw up like that! Wait, then in that case... Just who in the world -is- Teach!?)

Watase was about to ask her for more details, but at that moment, he heard a sound behind him.

(!?)

He turned around in surprise-- and saw Salyu running at him from the other end of the hallway.

Shah!!

By the time he noticed her, it was too late. Salyu's jump kick nailed Watase right in the chin. Thoughts raced through Watase's head as he fell to the floor.

(Why does this girl always have to show up at the worst possible times...!?)

Though he felt close to fainting, he could still make out Salyu's and Ena's voices.

Then just shoot him already.
Wh-what are you even saying, Ms. Sannomiya!?

He could hear their voices growing louder. But his concussion rendered him unable to put any strength in his hands or feet, meaning he couldn't get up.

This man shot Natsuhiko. He also tried to blow up the nuclear reactor and destroy the city. Vicious crimes not easily forgiven.
Wh-what do you plan to do to Captain Kasasagi!?
Kill him.
'Kill him'--!?
I don't really want to kill him either, but I have to do it to protect everyone.
N-no, don't do it, Ms. Sannomiya!
...Why are you stopping me?
'Why'--!?
You're acting strange. You're still with this man even after I warned you. You won't open your heart to us. Furthermore, you're holding a gun. Could it be-- that you're a terrorist too?
Wha...!?
If that's the case, then I won't show you any mercy, either.

Watase could hear Salyu walking towards Ena.

Ghh--UWAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

It was then that his body finally moved. He stretched out his hands and swung them around Salyu's leg.

!?

Salyu gasped at the same time Watase shouted.

Teach, get out of here! Go to B1 of Area 5's inner ring!
Huh? Huh?
Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and old man Ukita are all there! But there's a high chance they're being attacked by Moribe because of the malice she's been infected with! Please! Save them for me!

A look of hesitation rose to Ena's face for a moment when she heard Watase's pleas.

You sure about that!? You don't even know what I really am! You sure you can trust someone who could be infected with malice!?

Those words triggered Watase's memory.

You trusted me back then! That's why I trust you!

Those words softened Ena's face.

You really are too soft for your own good, you know that!?

She then started running down the hallway. Salyu shook off Watase's grip at the same time.

She kicked Watase in the head.

Ghh...!

Watase mustered all his willpower to keep his fading consciousness tethered.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Whoops~ The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
If only there was some special power that anyone had that they could have used to talk to Salyu to keep something like this from happening.

Alas...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BenRGamer posted:

If only there was some special power that anyone had that they could have used to talk to Salyu to keep something like this from happening.

Alas...

Well, if only Salyu wouldn't be constantly dosing herself with the AD that she stole, that might have actually been a pretty good plan!

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Yay, my favorite character returns. Also, to go along with Natsuhiko's gently caress-ups:

Watase: I'll keep my guard up so Salyu doesn't kick my rear end again.

Also Watase: Oh gently caress, why am I on the ground- ohhhhh. GODDAMNIT!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Turns out Salyu's really good at guerrilla assault.

Time for you to wonder: Is she really a part of Security Sector 6, or do they just not know much about Senses Sympathy?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
So Salyu just completely ignored Watase shouting about how he wanted Ena to save Natsuhiko and Mashiro? I guess?

But it meant she got to kick Watase in the face again, so I really can't blame her.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GeneralYeti posted:

So Salyu just completely ignored Watase shouting about how he wanted Ena to save Natsuhiko and Mashiro? I guess?

But it meant she got to kick Watase in the face again, so I really can't blame her.

At this point, Salyu is probably convinced both of them are in cahoots and that whatever Watase said was some sort of code, maybe meaning "meet up with Moribe and murder Natsuhiko and Mashiro while I hold her back".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Salyu's jump kicks are pretty hard core and Watase's attention was fixed on Teach.

Cyouni posted:

Turns out Salyu's really good at guerrilla assault.

Time for you to wonder: Is she really a part of Security Sector 6, or do they just not know much about Senses Sympathy?

The latter is interesting because it means Natsuhiko's mom is playing something of a long-con on LABO despite doing a lot of their research. Alternatively, Rokumei and LABO are less united than everyone thinks.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Salyu's jump kicks are pretty hard core and Watase's attention was fixed on Teach.

Does this mean Louise is alternate-dimension Phi?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BETWEEN MALICE AND DECEIT: 09/16/2030, 16:46

Khh...
...Problem, Mr. Ukita?

Jun stepped up with that provocative line. Ukita had shot several rounds, but they had all lodged into the ground by Jun's feet.

Looks like you can't hit me, huh? All you're doing is threatening me. You ain't gonna stop me like that, you know?
Wh-... whatever, just stop! Or I'll shoot you for real this time!

Ukita trained his aim on Jun. But her feet did not stop. Natsuhiko reached the end of his rope and called out to her.

Jun, please stop!
Huh...?
Didn't you say you wanted to be a hero of justice!? What kind of hero kills people!?
...No worries. I ain't gonna kill you guys. Just gonna lop off an arm or a leg or two so you can't move, that's all.
You won't be a rescue worker anymore if you do that, Jun!

He stole them so he could kill people. So you see, he's an attempted murderer!
He wasn't himself at the time! He doesn't have thoughts like that anymore!

Listen! It's too late to act once someone's been killed! The dead are never coming back! It's not like I wanna do this either, dammit! But if the alternative is to regret the loss of another victim-- I'd rather take this guy down myself, even if his blood on my hands means I'll never work with Sirius again!

Jun raised the engine cutter up high and sprung at Ukita--

Stop!!

The moment Yuuri's cry rang out, someone plunged into the room through the door.

!?
Freeze!

Shouting that command was Ena. With the gun in her hand trained on Jun.

P... Professor!?
Why the hell are you here?
Captain Kasasagi told me about it. He said a deranged woman was here, about to attack people.
Hmmm... So... what's this supposed to mean? I couldn't find you for the longest time, and now you're with the terrorists--
Can it.
Move and I'll shoot. This is your last warning.

The surrounding air froze the moment that warning left Ena's lips. Killing intent oozed out of her entire body, condensed at her fingertip, and set itself upon the trigger.

...You're gonna shoot me? You're nothing but a high school teacher.
Oh, I'II shoot. 'Cause I'm not a teacher, see.
You're not a teacher...?
I thought at least someone would've figured it out already, but-- I'm a detective.
Wha-!?
!?
A...
Detective!?

All eyes widened at Ena's confession.

Or rather 'something like a detective', to be accurate. I belong to a group whose existence is unknown to the general public. But we conduct activities in accordance with the police. We're authorized to carry firearms. And we reserve the right to shoot to kill criminals when no other options are available.
Hah. The hell's that? You think I'd buy such bullshit?
You think it's bullshit? Try me.

Jun sank into silence as if in defeat. Ena spoke more and more relentlessly.

Put that engine cutter slowly on the ground. One suspicious move, and you're dead.

But Jun didn't relinquish the engine cutter. Ena whispered to Natsuhiko from the side.

Mr. Tenkawa, listen up... I've got Ms. Moribe pinned down, so use this opportunity to erase her malice.

Natsuhiko's eyes widened.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jun Moribe: 09/16/2030, 16:49

As Natsuhiko questioned that point, Ena continued.

I'm okay. I'm not infected with malice.

Unlike Jun, who was clearly infected with malice, Ena appeared to be normal. But she did have a gun and her true identity was still ambiguous.

(Can she be trusted!?)

And after a moment's hesitation, he made his brave decision.

{--Yuuri! Let's take care of Jun first!!}
{Y... yeah!}

Even if Ena's heart wasn't open, she was more trustworthy than Jun right now. Yuuri probably came to the same conclusion. The two kids held hands and focused on Jun.

(The problem is what criteria to use for memory access--)

Jun seemed unrelated to the terrorist plot, but just to be sure, they should probably take a look through her memory of up until today.

So this is a decision I'll just skip over for the sake of speed. After making the right choice on Ukita, we might as well just make the right choice here as well. Because as you might have gathered from the last session with Subject N, you can't beat her without a good understanding of the person whose memories you're currently going through, and in order to get that, you need to go through their memories in more detail. Besides, the alternative would have been agreeing with Natsuhiko's plans, and, well... I think I know you well enough to know that you're not on board with that.

(Just how much in detail should I look...? I get the feeling it'd be best if I didn't trespass too far in, but...)

Natsuhiko pondered. Did he want a detailed understanding of Jun's deepest depths or not? A detailed understanding would probably be conducive to more accurate memory repair, but still--

(I want a detailed understanding of Jun. Why would the Jun I know change this much...? I suspect I'll find the answer within her memory.)

Natsuhiko decided to have a detailed look through Jun's memories.

...Jun, please don't move.
Huh? What're you trying to pull?
It'll all be over soon...!

As Jun's body stiffened, Natsuhiko and Yuuri stepped up to her, and activated Senses Sympathy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: 03/30/2021, 11:38

In yet another typical day, Jun yelled those words at her father and ran out of her house.

But her father had never once chased her that far, and this day was no exception.

(Why couldn't Daddy be a hero of justice instead...?)

She pondered that question as she sat on one of the benches. Jun had always loved anything ''hero-related'' she'd seen on TV for as long as she could remember. She admired heroes who risked their lives to save others and the Earth. But there was a world of difference between those kinds of heroes and Jun's father. He was a prominent city council member who was even well-known in Rokumei City-- but in a bad way. ''Heroes of justice? How ridiculous. There is no absolute justice or evil in this world. People are not pure good or pure evil either. There are only those who lie in the continuous spectrum of gray between the two.'' Jun grew sad when she remembered the words her father had said earlier. He was a strict man who never took his daughter into consideration. Jun's mother had fertility issues, so she had faced a lot of hardship until she had become pregnant with Jun. But when Jun was finally born, her father lost interest in both his wife and child on the simple account that a daughter could never be his successor.

(... I've been trying real hard to act like a boy, but I guess it was all for nothing...)

Jun had come to think of herself as worthless due to the all those long years spent unloved by her father. She felt like she was about to burst into tears from all the loneliness... but then someone called out to her.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

Oh... Nagisa.

Jun looked up to find that the voice belonged to none other than ''Nagisa'', a girl who lived nearby. Jun gave her a cheery smile.

Nuh-uh, I'm A-OK.
I see. Thank goodness.
Anyway, what's up with you, Nagisa? You sure it's okay to be going to the park all alone?
I'm not alone. Sis came with me, but she fell asleep.

Nagisa pointed to a young woman sleeping on the lawn-- Nagisa's older sister, ''Kazami''.

Oh brother... Then do you wanna play with me?
Yeah!

Nagisa's face brightened at Jun's suggestion. --Though Jun and Nagisa were five years apart in age, they got along great. They'd been best friends ever since they'd met at a neighborhood association meeting. Jun was a self-assertive tomboy, yet she acted like a kind older sister to Nagisa. Nagisa's body was a bit weak, so she apparently couldn't play all that much with other kids her age. That's why Jun made it her mission to play with her as much as possible whenever they crossed paths. And hanging out with Nagisa was also a way of healing Jun's heart.

(Why did Daddy say I shouldn't be playing with such a good girl...?)

''That kid in the park'' referred to Nagisa.

(This is Daddy we're talking here, so he's probably just being prejudiced or whatever it's called...)

And it wasn't long before she noticed Kazami frantically running over to them.

Oh, Kazami. Nah, it's cool, I was having fun too.
You were sleeping like a log, Sis, so I didn't wanna wake you up...
I can't believe I dozed off like that... It must be because it's so nice and warm today...

Jun and Nagisa laughed at Kazami's embarrassed reaction.

...Oh my, it looks like it's already past noon now. Why don't we go home and I'll fix you up some lunch?
Yeah! I'm starving!
Would you like some too as thanks, Jun? It won't be anything more than spaghetti, but still.
For real!? Yay! Your spaghetti is the best, Kazami!
Oh, why thank you. Then shall we get going?

Kazami took Jun and Nagisa hand in hand and headed off towards the Tachibana residence.

They had both died from illness at a young age, so Kazami worked at a flower shop to support Nagisa. Kazami was a very kind and beautiful sister who always smelled of flowers. As a result, Nagisa never grew up feeling worthless like Jun did. Jun loved the two sisters dearly.

Um, what do you think sounds good, Nagisa?
I wanna have that egg kind we ate that one day!
You mean carbonara, huh? Okay, I'll make it extra tasty just for you.

Kazami smiled at Nagisa. Jun felt a warm feeling spread through her chest at that sight. --The sisters always looked so happy even though they didn't have parents. Every part of their home was filled with the warmth and smiles a family should have.

(Man... they look so happy.)

Jun gripped Kazami's hand tightly as she thought this.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

At least these siblings actually look like they're related, unlike the Kasasagis.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Edit: Actually, never mind for now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

They had both died from illness at a young age, so Kazami worked at a flower shop to support Nagisa. Kazami was a very kind and beautiful sister who always smelled of flowers. As a result, Nagisa never grew up feeling worthless like Jun did. Jun loved the two sisters dearly.

...:smith: ow my soul

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Danaru posted:

...:smith: ow my soul

yeah this was my reaction too

ow :smith:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Apropos of nothing, I've started playing some custom campaigns in the new Shadowrun games, and was getting tired of playing a rigger. So I decided to give a charismatic, manipulative mage a try, and when I saw that one of the spells was "Mind Wipe", things happened rather quickly.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Holding Out for a Hero: 04/07/2021: 13:12

Jun and Nagisa went out to Center Street to do some shopping. They wanted to give Kazami a present as thanks for always working so hard.

♪ BGM: Challenger / Theme of Jun

Hmm, what should we buy?
What do you think Sis would like?
Come to think of it, Kazami's so pretty, yet she doesn't wear all that much trendy stuff, does she? I think an accessory or something'd look great on her.
That sounds good. Then what should we get? Earrings? Or maybe a ring?
Hmm... oh, I know, then how about that one thing? You know that, uh, that necklace thingy that pops open.
Pops open?
Y'know, that thing people put photos in and wear around their neck.
You mean a locket?
Yeah, that's the one!

Nagisa was a very smart girl for her age-- she hadn't even started elementary school, yet she was more knowledgeable than Jun. Jun hated studying, so it didn't bother her at all that Nagisa was so much smarter.

If we got her a locket, she could probably put a photo of you in it. Then your sis could always be with you.
I see. Yeah, that's a great idea!
Okay, then let's find us a locket!

Jun and Nagisa checked around the accessory shops.

It cost 3500 yen. Jun said she'd cover the whole cost, but--

No Jun, I think I should pay half.
Huh, y'sure about that?
I've saved up my allowance, and I'd feel bad about making you pay for it all.
Okay, that does sound better. Then it can be like a present from the both of us.
Right? So we'll each pay 1750 yen...
...And buy this locket!

And so the two of them obtained Kazami's present.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

You think Sis will like it?
You kidding? I bet she'll be moved to tears by it. 'Cause Kazami loves you so much.
Y-you think so?

Nagisa said that with embarrassment. It looked as if she was aware of how much her sister loved her. Jun suddenly got jealous when she saw that.

...You're so lucky that you have such a nice sister, Nagisa.
Huh?
No one in my family gets along... I always hate being in that house. Daddy rarely comes home, Mommy's always going off somewhere, and all my meals are made by my housekeeper. ...I just feel so lonely sometimes. I don't need a big house. I just want my family to get along... just like you and your sis do.
...Forget I said that. Sorry, I don't know what the heck got into me! Boy, it must have been a real pain to hear me whine like that.

Just when Jun started to get embarrassed about complaining to a 6 year old-- Nagisa spoke up with determination in her voice.

...Th-then you should live with us too!
Huh?
I like you, and I'm sure Sis likes you too. If you lived with us, then the three of us could be one happy family! You wouldn't be lonely at all!
Nagisa...

Jun stared at Nagisa, who looked absolutely pleased with herself.

(Ah... stupid me, I made a little girl worry about me... She's trying to be so nice to me even though she's got no mom or dad. She must be just as lonely, but she still...)

It was a proposal that made her feel so pathetic, yet it also sounded so charming.

...That'd be nice. Then I guess that'd make you my little sister?
Yep. Then that'd mean I'd have two big sisters.
Then when Kazami gets married...
Her husband would be my Daddy. Then I'd have a complete family, right?

That's not exactly how it worked, but it was a very joyful dream nonetheless. Kazami would definitely make a good mom. Her cooking was also top-class. Her husband would no doubt be a wonderful man. Once she got married, Kazami would be free from her day to day job. Then Nagisa could act more like a child of her age. Jun imagined that ideal family in her head.

(An outsider like me shouldn't even be there to begin with, but...)

Though she knew that, she thought it wouldn't be so bad to immerse herself in that dream.

...Then maybe this present will be just the ticket Kazami needs to snag a hubby?
Yeah!
All right! Then let's head on home and give this to her!

The two friends then broke off into a run.

So Jun and Nagisa waited in the Tachibana residence for Kazami to get home. Nagisa kept on glancing at the clock, muttering ''is it time yet?'' to herself. But when the bell chimed 3 PM--

It was drowned out by a thunderous roar.

!?

A shock ran through the building, and Jun heard what sounded like something collapsing. A second later, she was struck by an impact-- Then passed out.

------
----
--

♪ BGM: Abyss

U-ugh...

Jun woke up to find she was lying face down under something heavy. Her back was being crushed under the weight of what appeared to be rough debris.

Wha... what's going on...!?

Jun was at a complete loss. She had absolutely no idea what had happened. All she knew was that her body was pinned down by something, and she could see little apart from the floor. Nagisa was supposed to be right next to her, but she was nowhere to be found.

N-Nagisa... where are you...?

Her calls were answered by another voice somewhere in the room.

J... Jun... are... you okay...?
N-Nagisa...!

Jun tried to hurry over towards Nagisa. But she couldn't make the debris budge at all no matter how hard she struggled.

H-huh!? Why...!?
S-something blew up... I think the ceiling fell down...
Blew up!? Nagisa, are you okay!?
I-I can't move either... I think... I cut my head... I'm bleeding... It hurts...
Nagisa...!

Jun desperately tried to squirm her way out from under the debris. But the debris weighing on her back creaked every time she moved, sounding as though it would collapse at any second.

(Th-that sounded way too close... If this thing collapses, I'll be...!)

Just then, she heard ambulance sirens in the distance getting closer and closer.

An ambulance...
Yeah...
I'm sure help is on the way right now. We just need to hang in there...
...Yeah...

Jun and Nagisa held still and waited in the dark room for help to arrive.

...But they were taking along time to get there. Jun talked as much as she could to keep Nagisa calm.

Hey, Nagisa...
Jun...? What is it...?
Umm... 'bout what we were talking about before...
What we were talking about...?
Y'know, the thing about me becoming a part of your family... I was just thinking that if that really did happen... it'd probably be so much fun...
Yeah... I'm sure it would be... ...Hey, Jun...
Huh...?
You said you got lonely from time to time earlier... The thing is, I'm a little lonely too... 'cause I don't have a mom or dad... So I can't help myself sometimes when Sis is away at work... So I figured I wouldn't be lonely anymore if you became my big sis too--

Her frail voice was abruptly cut off.

*cough*! *cough* *cough*!
!? Nagisa, what's wrong!?
Sm... smoke... I think there's a fire somewhere...!

Upon hearing that, Jun suddenly noticed. Without her realizing it, their surroundings had become enshrouded by the burning stench of smoke. --No, that wasn't all. The debris weighing on her back was starting to get hotter and hotter.

(It... it burns!)

The debris crushing Jun was on fire. That was the source of the heat and stench. Fear instantly ran through her.

(Th-this is bad! My back's gonna get burned~-!)

Jun instinctively twisted her body. Right at that moment, the debris collapsed, and something searing hot landed on her back.

J-Jun!?
AAAAAAAAAH! It burns! It burns! It burns!! Igh, ghhiii, AAAAAAAAAAAGH!

It seemed a scorching hot reinforcing bar or something like that was pressing against her back. It instantly burned through Jun's clothes and charred her skin. Jun gritted her teeth and twisted her body, managing to get the rebar off her back somehow. However, the heat and torturous pain didn't go away.

Haah, haah, haaah...!
A-are you okay...?
I'm okay... don't worry...

Thoughts ran through Jun's mind as she panted heavily. Now that the small room was on fire, help needed to get there, and fast. If it didn't-- then she and Nagisa were both dead.

S... someone!! Someone help us!! Two of us are still trapped here!

Jun hoarsely screamed those words. Nagisa also weakly rose her voice.

S-someone... {He... help us...}
Two of us are trapped here!
{We're... in apartment 303... Hurry... the fire's...}
The fire's getting close! Someone-- *cough*! *cough* *cough*!

Jun then broke out into a violent coughing fit. Though she'd avoided it so far because she'd been pinned to the floor, the fumes finally started flooding into Jun's mouth.

So... someone...

With those final words, Jun started to pass out. However-- She heard the sound of the front door opening up.

(!?)

Jun was taken aback. The sound was then replaced by human voices.

I... I've located a survivor!!
(He... help's finally... here...?)

Though she was barely even conscious, Jun turned towards the voice. Just then, the debris blocking her vision was removed, revealing someone's shadow.

Are you okay!?
Ugh...

Jun couldn't answer. But the man gave her a reassuring smile.

You did such a good job hanging in there. But you're safe now.

Jun managed to give him a faint smile of her own. The man had showed up to save Jun and Nagisa just in the nick of time-- like he was some sort of hero straight out of a movie or something. She heard another man's voice coming from the corner of the room.

Dojima: There's another one over here!
Good! Two survivors secured! Hey missy, is there anyone else in this place!?
N... no... just me... and... Nagisa...
Thanks! Then just hold on, I'll get you out of there on the double!

The man shouted that, then moved the debris on Jun's back aside-- And a second later, he pulled Jun out. She had been saved.

She could see another man a short distance behind them carrying Nagisa.

I... is Nagisa... okay...?
Nagisa? You mean that other girl?
Yeah... she's my... sister...
!? Your sister?

The man behind them then answered Jun's question.

Dojima: Don't you worry, missy. Nagisa's safe and sound. She's unconscious right now, but her life shouldn't be in any danger.
...See? You don't have to worry.
I see...

At that moment, she suddenly felt her throat hurting from all the smoke she'd been inhaling just minutes ago.

Ugh... *cough* *cough*...
Are you okay!? I'm gonna get you to a safe place soon, so just hold on tight!
B-but... it hurts... My back... my head... my eyes... they all hurt so much... Am I... gonna die...?

Now that she'd confirmed Nagisa was safe, she suddenly felt so weak. But the man answered her in an encouraging voice.

No, don't you worry. I'll never let you die. Never.
Huh...?
We're rescue workers. We came to save you guys. We won't let you die now that we're here.
(Rescue workers...?)

Now that she thought about it, she had heard of them before. She'd learned somewhere that there were firefighters in the city who specialized at saving people's lives.

(... I see, so that's... how they were able to save us like it was nothing... Rescue workers are real amazing... If I had that kind of strength too... I could have helped Nagisa sooner...)

And with that thought-- Jun once again lost consciousness.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Oh heck, the front bangs are similar. Oh drat... poor Nagisa

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You could just deduce it based on the naming patterns of subjects and by order of elimination of named characters. That's why I've been calling her Nagisa for a while now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I blew the lid off that like a route ago :mad: None of you believed me

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

To be fair, it's just now that Nagisa got a portrait.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the cast figures it out.

Because ow. Best Buddy Jun :(

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So Jun goes for musical references in her parts. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is a Rolling Stones song, and Holding Out for a Hero is a song from Footloose.

You know, that, combined with Odyssey in the Sky with Denpa being a reference to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, and the Pulp Fiction Bible quote, this Japanese game makes a lot of American pop culture references.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Jesus, was there a secret pipeline to LABO off the rescue organization? Adrenaline rushes catalyze BC or whatever?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Junpei posted:

So Jun goes for musical references in her parts. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is a Rolling Stones song, and Holding Out for a Hero is a song from Footloose.

You know, that, combined with Odyssey in the Sky with Denpa being a reference to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, and the Pulp Fiction Bible quote, this Japanese game makes a lot of American pop culture references.

I wonder how much of that is the localization.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

I don't know if you've noticed, but...

Das Lied der Trennung
Eroica
Dies Irae
Falsche Welt, Dir Trau Ich Nicht
Kinderszenen
Baba Yaga
Die Zauberflöte
Sarabande
De Temporum Fine Comoedia

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Life: 04/08/2021, 14:45

Jun was taken to the hospital, where she was treated for her burns. ''The burn on your back will likely leave a scar.'' It had been depressing to hear that from her doctor, but there were more important matters on Jun's mind.

That rescue worker said she was okay, but the wounds on her head were apparently more serious than what had been thought. Nagisa had been in the ICU for an entire day after the accident, and she was still there. It appeared that Kazami, who had come over as fast as she could, was praying for Nagisa's safety in front of the ICU the whole time. Jun also prayed from her hospital bed.

(... Oh God, please don't take Nagisa away...)

But that night-- As Jun struggled to fall asleep, Kazami suddenly came in.

Jun...

Kazami staggered into the sickroom. Something was off about her.

...Hey, how's Nagisa...? She's okay, right?

Kazami's face warped with grief at that question.

Jun... the truth is, Nagisa's... Nagisa's...
Huh...!?

With a trembling voice, she then told Jun about her sister's death...

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

The world was informed that four lives had perished in the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Gas Explosion Accident on that day. Nagisa's death was one of those tragedies. The debris that hit her head caused her to lose so much blood that she passed away in her sleep. Perhaps it was only a minor tragedy compared to the Great Rokumei City Arson of 2014. But Jun had lost something irreplaceable on that day. --Nagisa's funeral was held two days later. Though she was still recovering from her wounds, Jun forced herself to come.

The sound of the sutras chanted by the Buddhist priest reverberated through the small funeral home.

Buddhist Priest: --not created, not annihilated, not impure, not pure, not increasing, not decreasing. Therefore, in the void there are no forms and no feelings, conceptions, impulses and no consciousness: there is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind; there is no form, sound, smell, taste, touch or idea--...

Tips posted:

TIP: Heart Sutra
Category: Nonfiction

The name varies by sect, but in Japan, it is also called the Bussetsu Maka Hannya Haramitashin-gyo Sutra, the Maka Hannya Haramitashin-gyo Sutra, and the Hannya Haramitashin-gyo Sutra.

Hannya is the kanji notation for the Sanskrit prajna. It has little to do with the female demon Hannya mask used in Noh theater. Prajna means wisdom, namely the perception of the truth of reality and the enlightenment necessary to rid oneself of worldly desires and attachment. The ''heart'' in heart sutra is a translation of the Sanskrit hrdaya, which can also mean the core or most important part of something. It is a short sutra of less than 300 characters, but as it condenses the over 600-verse Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra, the Heart Sutra is widely used in the Tendai, Shingon, and Jodo sects of Buddhism. With the use of voice data technology today, anyone can easily participate in this pious act. Binaural recordings of the sutra in particular seem to be gaining prominence.

Jun just stood there in a daze as she listened to his voice.

(... The tears... just won't come...)

She still couldn't believe that Nagisa had died.

(If I'd been stronger... then could I have prevented her from dying...? Could I have saved her before the rescue workers got there...?)

Feelings of powerlessness and resentment tormented Jun's heart. Kazami was staring at Nagisa's casket with empty eyes. All emotion had been drained from her face.

Nagisa...

Nagisa didn't reply to her faint call. Jun felt her heart wrench as she watched Kazami. --It appeared Kazami had much more trouble than Jun accepting that her beloved sister was now dead. For a little while after that, Kazami-- --became mentally unstable.

She had encountered Kazami on her way home from school. Kazami was walking around with the same empty eyes as during the funeral.

Ah... where are you going, Kazami?
Oh, Jun... have you seen Nagisa?
--Huh?
She's really late. Geez, where could she have gone?
--...!

Jun gasped as she saw Kazami talking as though Nagisa were still alive.

K-Kazami... Nagisa's already...
Call me if you see her. It's almost time for dinner, you see.

Kazami walked off without hearing a word Jun had said. The same thing happened over and over again each time Jun saw Kazami.

It was like she hadn't accepted Nagisa's death at all.

But day after cruel day passed by as Jun remained at a loss for how she could help Kazami.

Jun kept the pain in her heart at bay as she headed to the park.

(Nagisa, tell me... What should I do...?)

Jun looked to the heavens and asked, hoping her voice would reach Nagisa.

When she spotted Jun, she walked over to her on unstable feet.

Oh, Jun... have you seen Nagisa? She's really late. Geez, where could she have gone?

Kazami was saying the exact same things she had the other day.

K-Kazami...!

Jun knew Kazami's heart was in pieces. Her time had stopped the moment her sister had died.

I have to hurry... and find her...

Kazami tried to walk off somewhere again with those words. But Jun-- --called out to her.

That's enough! That's enough, Kazami!
Huh...?
You'll never find her no matter how much you look....! 'Cause no matter where you look, Nagisa's already gone!

Kazami's face froze over at that moment.

Wha... what are you talking about...?
Nagisa's dead! She got hit in the head in that explosion back then!
You're lying... She must be somewhere--
I'm telling the truth! You were at her funeral too, weren't you!? We said goodbye to Nagisa together, remember!?

Tears poured out of Jun's eyes in droves when she shouted that.

...You have to understand that, Kazami...! If you don't, then Nagisa can't go to Heaven in peace...!

It was with those words that Jun was also finally able to accept it. --Nagisa was dead. She would never see that tender-hearted girl ever again. She and Kazami were left behind in the world Nagisa was no longer a part of. Jun couldn't stop her tears from pouring out now that she realized that. And when she saw Jun's tears--

I see... So she's... dead, huh...?

Kazami also finally accepted reality.

...Now I'm all alone...
...No you're not. I know Nagisa's watching over you from Heaven.
No, I'm alone... She was my only sister. The two of us had lived together just by ourselves for ages. Without Nagisa, I'm...

Jun's words weren't reaching her. Jun desperately thought about how to move Kazami's heart. About how she could support her. She soon reached an answer-- and when she did, she finally stopped crying.

--Kazami.

Jun told Kazami her decision.

I won't leave you alone. 'Cause I'll be your little sister-- since Nagisa no longer can.
Huh...?
I know I'm nothing like her and that I'm not cute at all... but I'll be your little sister, Sis. So... So that's why....
Jun... you...

Jun knew she could never in a million years replace Nagisa. But when Kazami heard her declaration-- She gently embraced Jun and spoke.

...Thank you.

--Jun became Kazami's new sister from that day on. She would stop by Kazami's house frequently after Nagisa's death. Occasionally, she'd stay over, and they'd spend the whole night talking to each other. In the end, it looked like her actions were worth it. Kazami slowly began returning to the calm person she'd been before the incident.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Nagisa's death had most likely driven her to desire a job that involved saving lives. Jun was against it, but Kazami just wouldn't change her mind. Jun soon caved in and went from opposing her to supporting her. Kazami then became a firefighter, and after putting in even more work, she became a rescue worker.

Jun deeply respected Kazami for completely getting back on her feet and becoming the first female rescue worker in Rokumei City Fire Department history.

(Sis sure is strong... I have to get stronger too.)

With Jun supporting Kazami and Kazami serving as a role model to Jun, the two of them grew to have a mutual effect on each other. Then one day several years later...

Jun, what do you plan to do once you've graduated high school?
Hmm, funny you ask that. See... I was thinking I'd also enroll in firefighting school and work to become a member of Sirius, just like you, Sis.
What...!?

Just as Jun had feared, a grim look adorned Kazami's face after she'd heard Jun's nervous answer.

No, it's too dangerous for you! You could die out there! The pay is low, the job is hard, and it feels like you're diving straight into Hell every time you go to work--
I-I know all that. But you enrolled in firefighter school even after I kept telling you not to, remember?
That was years ago. These are completely different issues.
No they're not! They're the same!
Jun, why...? If I ever lost you too, I'd be...!

Jun knew Kazami was truly worried about her. But there was no chance she could yield to her. Jun always felt like her heart was being crushed every time she heard a siren go off in the city or saw Kazami come home from work hurt.

Sis, I feel the same way as you. I don't want you to leave me all by myself either.
Jun...
And besides, I've admired rescue workers for ages now. ...'Cause it was a rescue worker who saved me.
I see... if that's how you really feel, then I have nothing else to say.

Though she said that, Kazami was clearly a little angry. Jun then tried buttering her up.

Hey, Sis?
What?
If I do this, then I can save you whenever you're in a tight spot.
Thank you. Then I'll be sure to save you whenever you're in danger.
Yeah!

As long as she held on to those words, Jun felt like she could do anything.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I just want to appreciate the expression on Watase's face when Jun is rescued by him. It's the biggest, goofiest smile and I love it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Random thought: A Resident Evil / Metal Gear Solid type game where you play as Salyu, avoiding and/or fighting malice-laden rescue workers and researchers, scrounging for resources like AD and first aid materials, setting traps, and trying to find Natsuhiko (in Area N), Mashiro (in the lift) and Yuuri (in the shelter) and then escaping before the bomb goes off.

I'd play it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sure getting a lot of Nagito & Friends Only Not vibes from this group. A shy child whisked away into LABO, someone (almost) getting a delusion that said communicator was still there, a kid who's really into heroes and justice, a kid unloved by parents, etc.

I'd write it off as coincidence, but this game always makes you wonder.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Haifisch posted:

Sure getting a lot of Nagito & Friends Only Not vibes from this group. A shy child whisked away into LABO, someone (almost) getting a delusion that said communicator was still there, a kid who's really into heroes and justice, a kid unloved by parents, etc.

I'd write it off as coincidence, but this game always makes you wonder.

Well, I sure hope the bomb in Area Zero isn't capable of being disarmed by a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Well, I'll be darned. Wasn't there a portion named The Magic Flute (A Mozart composition) in German, as well?

• Locked thread