Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

etalian posted:

It's sort of tough to decide what Trump believes.

He went from bragging about how he wouldn't get involved in Syria to bombing it on a whim.

trump believes in nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Chokes McGee posted:

When we said history repeats itself we didn't mean in the span of a couple of months :gonk:

i hope to god macron wins though i'm not looking forward to it

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

When we said history repeats itself we didn't mean in the span of a couple of months :gonk:
Hey, Wilders got his rear end kicked and that Austrian guy lost to some random Green candidate. There's more than one history.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

wonder how the world will top itself after this

"lol the uk won't vote to cripple itself"

"lol america won't elect an idiot rapist"

"lol france won't elect the nazi"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
maybe le pen is trying to be cargo cult trump: cuz she saw how trump did crazy poo poo and won the election even when he was behind in polls. So now she's just like if I do a bunch of crazy poo poo maybe I'll win too

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chokes McGee posted:

Its goin down

I'm yellin timber

e: this might be a feint to appear more moderate and get votes idk

its either going to be her downfall from an outside source or a calculated move yea. i would not be surprised if this was her "rethinking" her stance on nazis even though all the actual nazis are going to vote for her no matter what. this is what people were scared of trump actually doing lol.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Condiv posted:

they've already messed up in pitting a centrist responsible for the previous admin being so hated and who has said that terrorism is "just something we'll have to get used to" against a fascist promising change

who is "they"

The people who voted to put the centrist there?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

UHD posted:

wonder how the world will top itself after this

"lol the uk won't vote to cripple itself"

"lol america won't elect an idiot rapist nazi"

"lol france won't elect the nazi"

ftfy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Typo posted:

le pen is

*snicker*

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Badger of Basra posted:

who is "they"

(((voters)))

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Both Hillary voters and Internet leftists agree: the voters voted wrong

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Coolguye posted:

german, spanish, and japanese also do not have governmental governing bodies

spanish you can kinda understand because like english it's the primary language across half of the globe, but germans happily incorporate 'sorry' and other brief englishisms whenever they're useful to the situation. japanese has an entire character set specifically to make foreign words easier to integrate into the language, and the number of english and german knockoff words in common use has increased steadily over the last 2 to the outrage of approximately nobody

france is pretty unique in the amount of effort they exert to keep their linguistic tree fort to themselves

they do not

so long as they're french enough by the academy's subjective elitist standards lol

it's less disdain for americans and more disdain for literally everyone who is not french

The real academia española and the association of spanish language academies say hi.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Badger of Basra posted:

who is "they"

did american voters gently caress up by electing trump?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/446996/french-presidential-election-emmanuel-macron-faces-populist-challenges

quote:

When Macron (who has been endorsed by Fillon and Hamon, but not, interestingly, by Mélenchon, who has said he won’t be endorsing anybody) wins in the second round — and he will — the next hurdle he’ll face is the parliamentary elections in June. No one knows how his fledgling party, En Marche! (echoes of Jeb!) will fare, but assuming that coattails and a honeymoon work their magic, enough of his team may make it into the National Assembly to form the nucleus of some sort of centrist coalition.

Macron! can fix it!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

right my bad ty

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Condiv posted:

did american voters gently caress up by electing trump?

I think they did but I was under the assumption it was wrong and bad to blame voters for the votes they vote, because of neoliberalism

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

Hey, Wilders got his rear end kicked

why do people keep saying this, PVV picked up 5 additional seats, they're the second largest party in the House

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Condiv posted:

you're an idiot, i didn't vote for jill stein

come on lets be fair, jill stein is the idiot here :colbert:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Badger of Basra posted:

I think they did but I was under the assumption it was wrong and bad to blame voters for the votes they vote, because of neoliberalism

you can think they made a mistake. it's when you don't think you have to change and appeal to voters better that you enter the wrong zone.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

walgreenslatino posted:

why do people keep saying this, PVV picked up 5 additional seats, they're the second largest party in the House

Isn't "second party in the house" really not much of an accomplishment in a country like the Netherlands with their clown car of political parties?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Extreme Right: We will win the thing!
*extreme right only manages to gain ground, falls short of majority*
People: Lol they've lost the thing!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

The real academia española and the association of spanish language academies say hi.
Die 👏 Gesellschaft 👏 für 👏 deutsche 👏 Sprache 👏 is 👏 fictitious.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

walgreenslatino posted:

why do people keep saying this
Because Wilders will never form a government and isn't even the biggest party in a very multi-party system, whatever you may think of the deleterious effects of his campaign on the public-facing narratives of VVD and, to some extent, the now-dead PdvA.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

jBrereton posted:

so is bielefeld. but i've actually been there....

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

That's because they call it the council for orthograph or something aggressively boring like that.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Coolguye posted:

german, spanish, and japanese also do not have governmental governing bodies

spanish you can kinda understand because like english it's the primary language across half of the globe, but germans happily incorporate 'sorry' and other brief englishisms whenever they're useful to the situation. japanese has an entire character set specifically to make foreign words easier to integrate into the language, and the number of english and german knockoff words in common use has increased steadily over the last 2 to the outrage of approximately nobody

They don't necessarily function in the same manner as the Académie Française, or have the same objectives, but all 3 of those languages definitely have official governmental bodies that ostensibly exist to regulate/improve the languages- i.e. the Council for German Orthography and GfdS, the Association of Spanish Language Academies (and the sub-academies for all of the member countries), and the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Apr 24, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Agnosticnixie posted:

LGD posted:

They don't necessarily function in the same manner as the Académie Française, or have the same objectives, but all 3 of those languages definitely have official governmental bodies that ostensibly exist to regulate/improve the languages- i.e. the Council for German Orthography, the Association of Spanish Language Academies (and the sub-academies for all of the member countries), and the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs

yeah i get that but that's like saying the webster's dictionary says hi, it's not even remotely comparable to the stranglehold the french establishment has

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Coolguye posted:

yeah i get that but that's like saying the webster's dictionary says hi, it's not even remotely comparable to the stranglehold the french establishment has

Nobody cares about the Académie. ChillOH MY GOD THEY'RE COMin

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The stranglehold the french academy has is a fantasy, people use english words all the goddamn time.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

That's because they call it the council for orthograph or something aggressively boring like that.
Both of those exist, the council for orthography is the follow-on agency for the spelling reform debates whereas the society for the german language is the more historied general organisation afaik.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Peanut President posted:

Liberating Paris was the worst mistake we ever made.

right, but where was his statement inaccurate?

we are arrogant, uncultured, and like our meatloaf hideously under-seasoned

we also still set the trends, and France is about to elect their own fascist Russian puppet so that the us and France can be twinsies

'murrica!!
:911:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

he said our chefs are bad but i'll tell u what i ain't never seen roasted bone marrow done right by no frenchy

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Agnosticnixie posted:

:master:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

It's okay to not die on this silly hill to die on!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Coolguye posted:

he said our chefs are bad but i'll tell u what i ain't never seen roasted bone marrow done right by no frenchy

lol that's like saying spreading peanut butter over toast is a recipe.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jBrereton posted:

It's okay to not die on this silly hill to die on!

i post

i die

i post again

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Coolguye posted:

who does it right, cuz it ain't 'murrica

unless you are referring to southern cooking which is a distinct, and separate phenomenon from what is commonly referred to as american cuisine :wink:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

depends, do you consider kansas city 'american' or 'southern'

i ask because this is legitimately a point of contention among people who don't live here, basically no one from kansas city considers themselves southern but a lot of people i talk to consider us southern by virtue of having actual food and beer traditions and history beyond "a bunch of dudes had their covered wagons break on kinda the same patch of land, so"

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

lol that's like saying spreading peanut butter over toast is a recipe.

Ain't ever seen nobody french cook a steak right, I said, towering over my $1000 gas BBQ, liberally spreading condiments - bought on the cheap at the supermax grocery store - on the charred remains of various elements of the periodic table which used to be food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Chokes McGee posted:

She's one of two candidates in the final round and if France doesn't learn from what happened in noted country of fat pigs America then I'm never going to stop laughing

Their Trump speaks French and eats a steak the right way so in their minds it's completely different situation.

• Locked thread