Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Hirethor posted:

One thing has me nervous, Karaka said that while the others were off fighting he was going to steal their souls/power. If he somehow steals Urek's power now that he's here, that'd be a hell of a thing.

I somehow doubt that Urek is the type to pay for admission to any place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Well, the story clearly shifted to Jahad being the main antagonist now (barring more storyline changes). Rachel will obviously still have a role, just not as the main antagonist.

It's also possible she carries on poisoning situations while climbing the tower and opposing Baam, since that's been her setup so far I like things continuing in that fashion. If she gets the thorn and more direct power, that would definitely be the worse choice, IMO.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Hirethor posted:

One thing has me nervous, Karaka said that while the others were off fighting he was going to steal their souls/power. If he somehow steals Urek's power now that he's here, that'd be a hell of a thing.

Yeah there's no way that Guardian or frankly anything in the FoD is a threat to take Urek's soul. He's maybe the most powerful person in the tower, everything is chump change to him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ya Urek almost certainly still has his soul.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ubiquitus posted:

It's also possible she carries on poisoning situations while climbing the tower and opposing Baam, since that's been her setup so far I like things continuing in that fashion. If she gets the thorn and more direct power, that would definitely be the worse choice, IMO.

Even if she got this thorn fragment, I think Baam would still be stronger since he already has 1 (or is it 2?) thorn fragments plus all his other ridiculous abilities.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

Even if she got this thorn fragment, I think Baam would still be stronger since he already has 1 (or is it 2?) thorn fragments plus all his other ridiculous abilities.

I think he's got the one thorn fragment that Hockney found and then got his eyes plucked out over. Then there's the one that Baam and Rachel are competing over, and the other two fragments are floating around somewhere.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You'd think wangnan would be pleased that the strongest person around in the tower considers him a friend

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

You'd think wangnan would be pleased that the strongest person around in the tower considers him a friend

I imagine it's sort of like knowing Cthulhu considers you a friend. There's always a vague uneasiness at the fact that they could still effortlessly kill you.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

Last time they met Mazino was going to kill them on a whim of a misunderstanding until Baam/Viole saved the day. Mazino's eccentric and too powerful to see anyone else as anything but ants. That you're his preferred kind of ant isn't reassuring.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Arcanen posted:

Enjoying this arc a lot, though not sure how I feel about the implication that Baam could get TWO powerups in the near future in the shape of another thorn, or the Sharingan (Enryuugan? :P). He's already overpowered enough, would really like someone else to get the powerups to remain relevant.

Ubiquitus posted:

Well, the story clearly shifted to Jahad being the main antagonist now (barring more storyline changes). Rachel will obviously still have a role, just not as the main antagonist.

I'd bet dollars to dimes that Rachel ends up with the magic eyes. It'd be a good powerup for a pest but won't make her any more directly imposing.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't see how any powerup to Rachel wouldn't make her an extremely strong opponent. She already is one of Baam's most difficult opponents, not because one-on-one fights, but she's been like 10 steps ahead of Baam since the series began. Plus she's able to get powerful allies, intentionally, on a whim. Rachel not having eye powers is just a way to balance her.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also she still has power over Baam anyway. For all that he has resolve to help his new friends, I'd be surprised if he can say no if she were to ask him for help.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Also she still has power over Baam anyway. For all that he has resolve to help his new friends, I'd be surprised if he can say no if she were to ask him for help.

I don't know; she tried to deceive him just a chapter or two ago by saying she was trying to look out for his well being and he saw through it, so I have some faith that Baam would be able to tell if Rachel was trying to manipulate him again.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I can see Rachel being redeemed a bit, not forgiven for her crimes but tolerated for what she can bring to the team. Then when her redemption is finally accepted as real, she's gonna die to give Bam the motivation to bring down Jahad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know; she tried to deceive him just a chapter or two ago by saying she was trying to look out for his well being and he saw through it, so I have some faith that Baam would be able to tell if Rachel was trying to manipulate him again.

Nah I mean like if she really appears to be dying or something he'll probably still be unable to handle that.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Baam is less trusting for sure but he'd probably flex his trust muscles for Rachel out of instinct. It's not like he can't tell that she's not looking out for him, but he still cares about her.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
New chapter! Adventures continue. This arc continues to be great.

Karaka's inner monologue had me laughing. I hope he's intended to be hilarious, because what a drat goof.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

TheDemon posted:

New chapter! Adventures continue. This arc continues to be great.

Karaka's inner monologue had me laughing. I hope he's intended to be hilarious, because what a drat goof.

What do you expect from someone who only watches the news?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Uh that ending was way too casual

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Baam is special who'da thunk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, is this the first time Baam has straight up iced a dude? Or at least a dude who isn't transparently super evil?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Hell Joe sure is popular guy. Everybody wants to meet him!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Also Urek talking to his finger is the best.

Ytlaya posted:

drat, is this the first time Baam has straight up iced a dude? Or at least a dude who isn't transparently super evil?

He killed people in his climb up to the 20th floor, apparently. Thus his very bad reputation as a Slayer candidate. All under duress, obviously, but he almost certainly killed some people offscreen who didn't deserve it just because FUG are jerks.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 24, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Urek casually tossing Wangnan over his shoulder when he noticed the girls was pretty great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So what are the odds Baam kills karaka this arc using the shinsoo black hole? Apparently Urek never underwent the "revolution" baam did so probably doesn't know how to do it

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Jose posted:

So what are the odds Baam kills karaka this arc using the shinsoo black hole? Apparently Urek never underwent the "revolution" baam did so probably doesn't know how to do it

I wouldn't put it in this arc, because if Bam can beat Karaka then a lot of tension is gone unless there's another time and floor skip.

It also depends on whether his Black Hole attack just sucks up 'ambient' shinsu or if it can suck up ALL shinsu nearby, like from regulars/rankers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So for thousands of years the Floor of Death has been filled with unkillable beings who are trapped there and capture most others who visit. Then this week 4-5 people show up who can kill immortals and have the ability to break the curse. Lucky break.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Hope they find rak's soul in the room of souls and bring him back to. Maybe even give him the second Thorn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think only 2 people can kill them but still bad luck yeah. The fact clearly nobody knows poo poo about the 13 month series probably didn't help

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tipme posted:

Hope they find rak's soul in the room of souls and bring him back to. Maybe even give him the second Thorn.

poo poo your mouth. Rak is relaxing just below the surface, still as can be, for the right moment to jump out and grab some turtles.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is Urek talking about that weird monster thing that popped out of Baam's body when he was seriously injured early in part 2 and was never seen again, or did that already get resolved in some way I've forgotten?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ No, he's talking about that monster mentioned a chapter or two ago that has some weird ability and Hell Joe merged with or something.

Gyges posted:

poo poo your mouth. Rak is relaxing just below the surface, still as can be, for the right moment to jump out and grab some turtles.

All of a sudden a spear pierces Urek Mazino from behind.

Rak will have hunted the greatest turtle of them all.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Gyges posted:

So for thousands of years the Floor of Death has been filled with unkillable beings who are trapped there and capture most others who visit. Then this week 4-5 people show up who can kill immortals and have the ability to break the curse. Lucky break.

I feel like all the people who could've done this (other princesses with the month series, family heads, Zahard himself) just didn't give a gently caress about the floor. Maybe didn't want to run into Enryu.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I feel like all the people who could've done this (other princesses with the month series, family heads, Zahard himself) just didn't give a gently caress about the floor. Maybe didn't want to run into Enryu.

Or they didn't know there's a society living inside the administrator's corpse. Without a guide that knows the way, it looks like nobody is getting in the easy way like Bam's gang did.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also it's technically a lower floor where the rankers aren't supposed to dick around. The fact that several are is... probably gonna have some consequences later.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rankers don't gently caress around because the guardians turn up to stop them. Like happened when enryu hosed poo poo up

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I have a feeling that Rachel will have her soul implanted into the thorn that Baam uses. It would solve a couple things:

- Give Baam a superweapon to compete with the higher floors - An immortal-killing irregular (Baam) wielding a thorn created by a
monstrously powerful irregular (Enryu) infused with the soul of an irregular (Rachel).
- Be a powerup for Rachel that would put her in Baam's league

She'd also be an annoying sword ghost who'd work with basically nobody which sounds about right.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think we will get a moment where Rachel is about to die, and baam abandons taking the thorn for himself to go help her not die. She will make it seem like she wants to work together to kill this threat... And then take the first chance to abandon Baam and steal the thorn fragment.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Karaka's little escape body looks hilarious and now I can't stop reading his dialog in the voice of the machines from Nier: Automata.

I think SIU is setting up Rachel having another chance to betray Baam and not taking it, since at the beginning of this chapter it sounds like she's really trying to remind herself, not Baam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

I think we will get a moment where Rachel is about to die, and baam abandons taking the thorn for himself to go help her not die. She will make it seem like she wants to work together to kill this threat... And then take the first chance to abandon Baam and steal the thorn fragment.

I dunno, she went out of her way to say "JUST SO YOU KNOW, WE ARE ENEMIES BAAM!" this chapter, so I don't think she's trying to trick him like that anymore. Speaking of which, Baam's response to that was great, and I can sort of sympathize with the huge uphill battle Rachel is facing against this handsome, powerful born protagonist. I think her average looks are meant to contribute to the sense that she's a relatively normal person trying to outdo a bunch of good looking, powerful obvious heroes like we see on Baam's side (well, his first team anyways).

Sindai posted:

I think SIU is setting up Rachel having another chance to betray Baam and not taking it, since at the beginning of this chapter it sounds like she's really trying to remind herself, not Baam.

After seeing him up close again she is finding it difficult to resist his boyish good looks.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 25, 2017