Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

osx siera's build in f.lux just kicked in yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pagancow posted:

Dolby Vision includes color and brightness management, and has cool technologies to shove 12-bpc over a 10-bpc RGB pipe.

get with the best or die like the rest

Lol dump Dolby vision into the betamax and laserdisc pile

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

Lol dump Dolby vision into the betamax and laserdisc pile

wasn't laserdisc kinda successful tho?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

pagancow posted:

Dolby Vision includes color and brightness management, and has cool technologies to shove 12-bpc over a 10-bpc RGB pipe.

get with the best or die like the rest
What like rec 2100?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

akadajet posted:

wasn't laserdisc kinda successful tho?

It.clung onto the margins kept alive by nerds and the Japanese

So perfect for for Dolby vision, except lg instead

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pagancow posted:

get hosed UHD havers

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-8k-monitor-up3218k/apd/210-alez/monitors-monitor-accessories

7680 x 4320 at 60 Hz
hardware LUT
p3 native
DP 1.4 only (lol HDMI havers)

Now I'll be able to look at my 32 megapixel images the way they were meant to be seen!

:slick:

:nallears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gaming guy talking hdr was p. interesting http://c0de517e.blogspot.co.za/2017/02/tonemapping-on-hdr-displays-aces-to.html

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Malcolm XML posted:

What like rec 2100?

you take that back, rec 2020 is going to be the greatest color space of all time!!!!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

gonna make the bold prediction that HDR will mostly be a cluster gently caress that goes nowhere

Which is unfortunate because in theory it sounds pretty nice

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hdr sounds interesting for video games and terrible for any other media which means its going nowhere. physx card for the monitor

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hifi posted:

hdr sounds interesting for video games and terrible for any other media which means its going nowhere. physx card for the monitor

in theory it sounds really nice for movies and series like planet Earth

In practice a group of A/V professionals can stand around a top of the line Sony TV arguing whether or not HDR is "on" because it's not clear to them if it is.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. sure if you can't tell that it is hdr then your dr is not h enough. the best way to judge the quality of the hdr is what spf you need to watch a movie on it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hdr sounds like 96khz audio . poo poo for spergs to argue over that is not relevant to normal people

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just wait until you see a calibrated rec.709 next to a 4,000 nit display in a best buy. It will move TVs

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
if I don't see faded plastic on all nearby TVs, it's not worth buying

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pagancow posted:

just wait until you see a calibrated rec.709 next to a 4,000 nit display in a best buy. It will move TVs

so....never?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

like five-ten years from now? tv manufacturers got all up in the standards process and diluted everything until you barely need to do anything more than decode the PQ curve to slap HDR!!!! on the box

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

in 2020 all of the hd sunglasses are going to rebrand as hdr sunglasses

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
don't even know why people bother with color for consumer entertainment when 99% of people watch on a terribly calibrated bargain monitor/tv

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i need very accurate reds for when i turn on flux

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

MeruFM posted:

don't even know why people bother with color for consumer entertainment when 99% of people watch on a terribly calibrated bargain monitor/tv

dolby vision solves this problem by putting input tranforms into the metadata stream

so something VLC will never understand so get ready to watch linux isos EXTRA hosed up

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

pagancow posted:

putting input tranforms into the metadata stream

now you have two problems

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Max Facetime posted:

now you have two problems

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pagancow posted:

nobody in the game industry is making their own tone mapping, they programmers just search "filmic tone mapping" and then use that math

source

btich

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

people overwhelmingly bought TVs at Best Buy that had motion interpolation demoed so guess what is enabled by default now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
its real bad that tvs still come set up with overscan by default, it looks like real garbo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

its real bad that tvs still come set up with overscan by default, it looks like real garbo

i don't think i've seen this

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fishmech posted:

nah, it just separates the kids from the adults in the video production world

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

between bumping into walls onto the way to my bathroom or lawn (e.g. same) I stare at the sun all day through binoculars because i demand the best brightness and the blindest whites

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pagancow posted:

nah, it just separates the kids from the adults in the video production world

yeah the idiots leave the overscan setting on on the display so everything is slightly stretched and terrible looking

burning swine
May 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

I haven't seen an overscanning lcd tv in ages

my parents own a "polaroid" "1080p" tv that was some black friday special. It's in permanent overscan mode that you can't disable, i'm fairly certain so they could build them with panels that had yield fuckups in the hidden areas

that was like 2006 though

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

my parents own a "polaroid" "1080p" tv that was some black friday special. It's in permanent overscan mode that you can't disable, i'm fairly certain so they could build them with panels that had yield fuckups in the hidden areas
that doesn't even make any sense, there's no "hidden area" on a lcd panel

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I haven't seen an overscanning lcd tv in ages

that was like 2006 though

the tvs in question don't actually require overscan, like they do have full 1920x1080 panels. but the default modes have hdmi/dvi input set up so that they get blown up like 10% with horrible non-integer scaling all over the screen and the edges cut off.

the hotel i stayed at over thanksgiving had their tvs set to do this on the digital inputs every time you turned them on. the cheap lcd tv i just got also had it turned on by default but it was an easy change to keep it off.

i have no idea why this feature a) exists b) is the default on any tv that has a full resolution panel.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
wasnt there cheap af "720p" tvs that actually used 1366x768 panels?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

my tv has uncorrectable overscan, no menu options at all

i did figure out it will display correctly if it has an hdmi signal without sound

so laptop >hdmi cable> TV = overscan with sound
but laptop > displayport to dvi > dvi2hdmi > hdmi cable > TV = no overscan and no sound

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fishmech posted:

the tvs in question don't actually require overscan, like they do have full 1920x1080 panels. but the default modes have hdmi/dvi input set up so that they get blown up like 10% with horrible non-integer scaling all over the screen and the edges cut off.

the hotel i stayed at over thanksgiving had their tvs set to do this on the digital inputs every time you turned them on. the cheap lcd tv i just got also had it turned on by default but it was an easy change to keep it off.

i have no idea why this feature a) exists b) is the default on any tv that has a full resolution panel.

broadcasters hide stuff in these areas that are not meant to be visible.

Basically since Overscan exists on a lot of TVs 20 years ago, it's part of the standard, and people create their graphics for it. TV manufacturers know that only 90% of the image gets used, therefore they scale so things look appropriate.

Also rebroadcasts assume that the overscan area wasn't visible so things like boom mics sometimes appear in older TV shows there.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

Basically since Overscan exists on a lot of TVs 20 years ago, it's part of the standard, and people create their graphics for it. TV manufacturers know that only 90% of the image gets used, therefore they scale so things look appropriate.

Also rebroadcasts assume that the overscan area wasn't visible so things like boom mics sometimes appear in older TV shows there.

so in other words it's dumb. got it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pagancow posted:

it doesn't make things look appropriate though, it makes them look really bad because it's applying a lovely scaling to the input image. as opposed to other tvs where they simply use a panel that doesn't have a full resolution, so while you do get the edges chopped off, the central pixels aren't being stretched weirdly. usually this results in colors looking very bad.

(modern 720p/1080i/1080p content also really shouldn't be produced expecting overscan to hide things like mics or poo poo like that, since the majority of TVs capable of displaying it will not perform overscan for over-the-air broadcasts or modern digital video inputs. so anyone expecting overscan to save their rear end is doing clownshoes video)

fishmech fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 2, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Can we agree that broadcasting in 720p instead of 1080p these days is unacceptable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lol atsc amirite

• Locked thread