Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

As annoying as it is, I've been saying since Brexit that the UK political landscape is going to realign with the two major parties being ideologically rightwing nationalist and the other for international neoliberalism with Labour being reduced to third party status on a social democratic platform and while it won't happen this election I reckon it might in 2022.

At the moment the Tories are both rightwing nationalist and neoliberal though? Who do you predict is going to be this second party to rise and challenge them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jabby posted:

At the moment the Tories are both rightwing nationalist and neoliberal though? Who do you predict is going to be this second party to rise and challenge them?

New Soc Dem splitters who will merge with the Lib Dem party to form the Lib Dem Dem (this time we mean it) party.

It will be glorious.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheRat posted:

So you think it's acceptable to nuke your own country if you're being invaded? That's pretty loving psychopathic

Uhhh I suggest you look up NATO defence plans for World War 3. I mean, yes, tactical nukes in West Germany but I'm not sure that's much consolation if you're hit by one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why do people want more bank holidays? They're annoying, and use up holiday days I could otherwise use in a block to actually do something.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

sassassin posted:

Why do people want more bank holidays? They're annoying, and use up holiday days I could otherwise use in a block to actually do something.

I didn't realise including public holidays in leave allowances was a thing until I saw it in my partner's contract for her new job. Mine have always been over and above public holidays. You'd hope that if we got new bank holidays they'd include a clause to force employers to actually give them (or at least days in lieu) to their employees.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Using nations saints days as an excuse means that most of them will be clumped around Easter too, April - May already having pretty much all our bank holidays outside of Xmas. Would be nice to have them a bit spread out like July - November.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

Might I suggest the 30th of January, in celebration of the execution of Charles I?

Too close to the new January 25th & 26th bank holidays in Scotland.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I didn't realise including public holidays in leave allowances was a thing until I saw it in my partner's contract for her new job. Mine have always been over and above public holidays. You'd hope that if we got new bank holidays they'd include a clause to force employers to actually give them (or at least days in lieu) to their employees.

Same, bank holidays should be in addition to normal leave.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

big scary monsters posted:

I'd prefer more leave allowance to more days off that have to be taken on specific Mondays when everything's closed.

It's a massive hassle trying to run a business when there's a big 4 day weekend in the middle of the busiest stretch in the year. If everyone's got more leave days you can at least still keep the machines running.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Annual leave is 28 days cause its the minimum mandated 4 weeks plus the 8 bank and public holidays included in your allowance

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

sassassin posted:

I'd prefer more leave allowance than more days off that have to be taken on specific Mondays when everything's closed.

It's a massive hassle trying to run a business when there's a big 4 day weekend in the middle of the busiest stretch in the year. If everyone's got more leave days you can at least still keep the machines running.

Businesses can already do that if they want.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I didn't know that either, that makes the UK annual leave even more shambolic:

e: or maybe it's illegal I guess. still

e2: or not?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Businesses can already do that if they want.

No one showed up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Weavered posted:

Using nations saints days as an excuse means that most of them will be clumped around Easter too, April - May already having pretty much all our bank holidays outside of Xmas. Would be nice to have them a bit spread out like July - November.

Yeah, we could really do with one each in May, June, July and September. Dump Good Friday, move the Spring Holiday to June (but keep May Day even if we don't call it that any more...) and that's only an extra two days. I'd accept calling them Waterloo Day and Blenheim Day if it gets the Tories onside.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

sassassin posted:

No one showed up.

If the employees actually do want to use a leave day on the bank holiday then there's not much you can do about it really I guess?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The 28 days figure was arrived at by adding the bank holidays into the EU wrt minimum of 20. You have to get 28 if you're a full time worker

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Get rid of every bank holiday, get rid of lunch breaks, make Saturday a work day and change the standard working day to 9 till 2 (school starts at 8 and ends at 7)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sassassin posted:

Get rid of every bank holiday, get rid of lunch breaks, make Saturday a work day and change the standard working day to 9 till 2 (school starts at 8 and ends at 7)

Nah. Although the 30 hour work week sounds like an improvement.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

big scary monsters posted:

Uhhhhh but they are

Unless you work for an extremely lovely company or something, you should get a minimum of 25 days holidays + 8 national bank holidays

Or is this my loving bourgie bubble again?

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 24, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

Private Speech posted:

New Soc Dem splitters who will merge with the Lib Dem party to form the Lib Dem Dem (this time we mean it) party.

It will be glorious.

Not quite as dumb as this but yeah, the rich and powerful who love the course globalisation has taken so far and benefit from it will start trying to push it again and various pro-business politicians and groups will be easily convinced to ditch the xenophobic nationalism of Brexit in favour of more money to London and themselves (wait for 'past and future workshop of the world' rhetoric to start clashing with 'Britain for the British' and you'll know it's coming). The Lib Dems will get sucked into this group as well because why wouldn't they? and suddenly urban areas will start pulling towards this group because of their 'positive' and business friendly 'sensible' policies.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sassassin posted:

Not sure an 11 hour school day is very sensible.

How about keep bank holidays and don't have them count towards your time off, keep lunch breaks, and extend the weekend by 2 extra days? While working no extra hours. While also increasing the minimum wage so that such hours are affordable.

(Also, speaking as someone who has regularly had a 2 hour each way commute, the idea of having to do it 6 days a week makes me want to barf. I'd much rather working longer hours on fewer days than more days but less hours each day. If I had to do a 12 hour day in order to do 3 day weeks I absolutely would without hesitation. Longer weekends also means more money in my pocket at the end of the month because those days off are days I'm not having to pay Stagecoach for their lovely bus service.)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pochoclo posted:

Uhhhhh but they are

Unless you work for an extremely lovely company or something, you should get a minimum of 25 days holidays + 8 national bank holidays

Or is this my loving bourgie bubble again?

It has already been posted apparently it's 20 + 8 not 25.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Weavered posted:

Using nations saints days as an excuse means that most of them will be clumped around Easter too
St. Andrew's Day is November 30, St. Edmund's Day is November 20. Padraig, David, Piran, and the Norman's George are all around Easter, but that could be solved by getting some better saints. Saint Didacus is November 7, Lawrence is August 10, Jude is October 28 and would be a good one for the UK.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It has already been posted apparently it's 20 + 8 not 25.

Just for extra confusion its 20 days + 5 bank holidays + 3 common law public holidays, though that's a bit wonky when you account for regional variations

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Of course then you have Northern Ireland which has an extra 2 bank holidays, and Scotland with extra 1, but the national minimum annual leave remains 28 which was structured around the existing English/Welsh days so the national minimum leave doesn't exactly line up with all available bank holidays for people - I would assume the intention of a new national bank holiday would be to extend annual leave, but you'd have to specifically alter the legislation relating to annual leave for that I think

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guavanaut posted:

St. Andrew's Day is November 30, St. Edmund's Day is November 20. Padraig, David, Piran, and the Norman's George are all around Easter, but that could be solved by getting some better saints. Saint Didacus is November 7, Lawrence is August 10, Jude is October 28 and would be a good one for the UK.

Who were these people and why do we care about them enough to stop working?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

sassassin posted:

Who were these people and why do we care about them enough to stop working?

Let's get a day off for Brunel, Cromwell and Attlee (make them saints while we're at it).

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Hmm yes st cromwell yes nothing wrong there nope

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Saints Days are dumb and Labour shouldn't pander to UKIP to this extreme

LemonyTang fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 24, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Hmm yes st cromwell yes nothing wrong there nope

Ok not in N. Ireland then, just in England/Scotland/Wales.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Let's just make Saturday a work day and Monday a permanent bank holiday and be done with it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Ok not in N. Ireland then, just in England/Scotland/Wales.

How do you celebrate Cromwell day exactly, behead a mannequin of a king and then torch your local irish pub

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

How do you celebrate Cromwell day exactly, behead a mannequin of a king and then torch your local irish pub

Let's just have a general Regicides' Day. It'll balance out Bonfire Night.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Something like that, sounds swell

Alright not Cromwell then. Suggest a good civil war person. Or maybe someone from the Welsh Chartists

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Owain Glyndŵr

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Principia Mathematica was published on the 5th of July, so that'd be an option.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Monday closest to Remembrance Sunday. Breaks up the near four months between the August Bank Holiday and Christmas

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Principia Mathematica was published on the 5th of July, so that'd be an option.

I'm fairly certain brexit means facts are banned

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Cable Street Day in the first week of October?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

The best suggestion so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

LemonyTang posted:

Owain Glyndŵr

That's a pretty good one, and we can swap Russell for one of the saints.

E: Or Newton. But I like Russell better.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread