Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Beach Bum posted:

I didn't know what a speed wrench was until today. That's a nifty looking tool that I just ordered. I figure 1/2" is fine, right?

Same as others I got 1/2" since I use mostly 1/2" on my pickup, very good for repetitive tasks. And cheap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

FogHelmut posted:

Does it give them more power, or just lighter weight/longer life?

I would upgrade to something that would come closer to plug-in, not just battery but a whole new set if reasonable.

They don't slow down as they lose charge so you get maximum braps up until the battery is "empty". No need to buy a new tool. If anyone you know has a lithium ryobi set ask to borrow a battery and try it out.

That said, acid green is outright a better colour. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Would a non-lithium tool have the necessary cutoffs to prevent discharging too far? Don't Li-Ions really hate that?

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

I didn't know what a speed wrench was until today. That's a nifty looking tool that I just ordered. I figure 1/2" is fine, right?

So looking it up, I've used them for years at my dad's old shop, I just never knew what they were called. Does anyone know if there is another name for those?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've called them a speed brace for a long time. I've heard them called a cheat wrench as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

InitialDave posted:

Would a non-lithium tool have the necessary cutoffs to prevent discharging too far? Don't Li-Ions really hate that?

That protection should be in the battery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bake in ye olden times they had hand drills shaped liked that, so that's always what they've been in my mind.

Miserable tools when you're trying to make a hole, I tried to use one in shop class as a kid and had no luck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm used to them being called speed braces.

Makes sense because they look/work like a brace you use for carpentry.

xzzy posted:

Bake in ye olden times they had hand drills shaped liked that, so that's always what they've been in my mind.

Miserable tools when you're trying to make a hole, I tried to use one in shop class as a kid and had no luck.
That's the carpentry type of brace, yeah.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

cakesmith handyman posted:

They don't slow down as they lose charge so you get maximum braps up until the battery is "empty". No need to buy a new tool. If anyone you know has a lithium ryobi set ask to borrow a battery and try it out.

That said, acid green is outright a better colour. :colbert:

Uh, there is no way in hell that a Li-On battery pack will fit into a drill made for a NI-CAD or NI-MH pack.
poo poo is not interchangeable. Ever. In any way whatsoever.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Johnny Aztec posted:

Uh, there is no way in hell that a Li-On battery pack will fit into a drill made for a NI-CAD or NI-MH pack.

I've used Dewalts new li-on batteries in my old (originally ni-cad) drill/impact driver. Works great, lighter and longer lasting.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127047

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC9182-18V-Lithium-Battery/dp/B00OKK87FG

Lithium Ion for use in all 18 volt dewalt drills.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Memento posted:

I've called them a speed brace for a long time. I've heard them called a cheat wrench as well.

Goddamn, yeah cheater wrench, that rings a bell now.

On a similar note of differing tool names, pipe wrenches are known as stillsons where I'm from. I had no idea what it was for years but apparently that was one of the more popular pipe wrench manufacturer's.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Or on the other hand just buy a Ryobi LiOn set cause goddamn they are so unexpectedly good for the cheap rear end price

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah a Stilson for me is a massive adjustable wrench with a sawtooth pattern on the teeth.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

works for almost all ryobi 18v tools made in the last 10 years

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Didn't know they did that.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

xzzy posted:

Actually they rock for making holes in wood. But you need the correct bits and I would bet a kid in shop class had mediocre equipment and probably not great instruction.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Johnny Aztec posted:

All Ryobi one plus tools will take nicad or lithium ion batteries of the one plus series. Protection is built into the batteries, and the new chargers will charge both chemistries.

You could buy a new set of tools, which would bring a couple of new batteries and a charger, plus new tools. My Makita 18V lithium gear has basically replaced corded tools for everything I do aside from a grinder, table and miter saw.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 24, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Or on the other hand just buy a Ryobi LiOn set cause goddamn they are so unexpectedly good for the cheap rear end price

It was actually cheaper for me to buy one of the kits that included two new drills and a battery than to buy a new battery alone, so I did.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wolrah posted:

It was actually cheaper for me to buy one of the kits that included two new drills and a battery than to buy a new battery alone, so I did.

This. I wanted a few battery spares, just got a few kits. The 5Amp batteries are worth the standalone price tho, they last a ridiculous amount of time.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GopherFlats posted:

On a similar note of differing tool names, pipe wrenches are known as stillsons where I'm from. I had no idea what it was for years but apparently that was one of the more popular pipe wrench manufacturer's.

Stillson wenches have a spring in the jaw so that the harder they're torqued, the tighter they grip. Haven't come up yet with a better wrench for removing black/galv pipe.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Appreciate the advice on impacts. Coincidentally, just this weekend I had the opportunity to do some suspension work on my car with a cordless impact my buddy owns. Getting lug nuts off immediately and spinning them back on to be finished by hand was loving glorious and I still think I want one. Wasn't aware that torque sticks couldn't be used with them, though.

...That being said, I don't think I know a single person IRL who actually uses a torque wrench on their lug nuts. I always just tighten them to "not gonna fall off" by hand and haven't had any problems. :v:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Fifty Three posted:

Appreciate the advice on impacts. Coincidentally, just this weekend I had the opportunity to do some suspension work on my car with a cordless impact my buddy owns. Getting lug nuts off immediately and spinning them back on to be finished by hand was loving glorious and I still think I want one. Wasn't aware that torque sticks couldn't be used with them, though.

...That being said, I don't think I know a single person IRL who actually uses a torque wrench on their lug nuts. I always just tighten them to "not gonna fall off" by hand and haven't had any problems. :v:

So how many people do you know that had problems with their wheels?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

GopherFlats posted:

Anyone that's been US DoD is probably gonna call it a speed handle.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
My personal Worst spare wheel location award goes to: Peugeot 306.

15 years of doing muddy lanes, everything underneath the car well and truly seized with mud. Spare wheel is located under the car in a cage, cage is lowered by turning a bolt in the boot.

But not an average bolt. A wierd oval headed bolt with a curved concave slot along its shortest section. Special unique fit for the butt end of the wheel wrench. You're supposed to use it like a screwdriver with the socket end pointed at the sky and the handle slots into the bolt.

Imagine a giant rounded - off flat head, with a bolt style thread and just to make it harder have it be seized up with 15 years of mud as the spare had never even been looked at so the mechanism was probably unmoved since it left the factory.

Add to this that the end of the wheel brace was a bit scraped up from having to lower the vehicle onto it to use its weight as leverage to cracking the wheel nuts free.

Honestly it's like they tried to make the worst fitting interface on something that even when new would have required reasonable force to get free.

Additionally you can force the wrench to fit in the slot sideways rather than pointing upward. But since you're trying to undo a seized bolt with essentially a round tube fitted in a rounded slot, you need a lot of downwards pressure keep it in. Hope you enjoy scraping your knuckles repeatedly across the corrugated boot floor pan for hours as you manage to turn the bolt about 1/8th of a turn per knuckle scrape.

After hours of swearing at it, I managed to get it free like the caveman I am by bending the cage enough to pop free using a large rock I found in a nearby field.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Captain Hair posted:

15 years of doing muddy lanes, everything underneath the car well and truly seized with mud. Spare wheel is located under the car in a cage, cage is lowered by turning a bolt in the boot.

But not an average bolt. A wierd oval headed bolt with a curved concave slot along its shortest section. Special unique fit for the butt end of the wheel wrench. You're supposed to use it like a screwdriver with the socket end pointed at the sky and the handle slots into the bolt.

Imagine a giant rounded - off flat head, with a bolt style thread and just to make it harder have it be seized up with 15 years of mud as the spare had never even been looked at so the mechanism was probably unmoved since it left the factory.

Add to this that the end of the wheel brace was a bit scraped up from having to lower the vehicle onto it to use its weight as leverage to cracking the wheel nuts free.

Honestly it's like they tried to make the worst fitting interface on something that even when new would have required reasonable force to get free.

Additionally you can force the wrench to fit in the slot sideways rather than pointing upward. But since you're trying to undo a seized bolt with essentially a round tube fitted in a rounded slot, you need a lot of downwards pressure keep it in. Hope you enjoy scraping your knuckles repeatedly across the corrugated boot floor pan for hours as you manage to turn the bolt about 1/8th of a turn per knuckle scrape.

After hours of swearing at it, I managed to get it free like the caveman I am by bending the cage enough to pop free using a large rock I found in a nearby field.

Why are you using a 15 year old wheel? Also did you never get new tires in 15 years?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SEKCobra posted:

Why are you using a 15 year old wheel? Also did you never get new tires in 15 years?

I'd be assuming the spare never got changed, as I know the spares on any of my vehicles tend to be horridly forgotten. Which I should be better about, but, I spend enough on rubbers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I pulled the original spare out of '66 Corvette when I bought it in 2008. Nobody gives a drat about spares.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The underslung cage-mounted spare for Citroens & Peugeots never used to be a problem in terms of access or condition.

It just wasn't there, because some fucker had nicked it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

So how many people do you know that had problems with their wheels?
Zero.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

The underslung cage-mounted spare for Citroens & Peugeots never used to be a problem in terms of access or condition.

It just wasn't there, because some fucker had nicked it.

Were they the ones where the spare wheel was also an alloy and the cage could be undone from the underneath?

So the local scrotes would nick the spares from 4 cars and have a complete set for themselves - and no-one would notice they had been stolen?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

spog posted:

Were they the ones where the spare wheel was also an alloy and the cage could be undone from the underneath?

So the local scrotes would nick the spares from 4 cars and have a complete set for themselves - and no-one would notice they had been stolen?

lol 5 including the spare

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

Nobody gives a drat about spares.

This. I've yet to ever buy a car that had the spare actually inflated, much less actually changed at some point. Having the spare mounted to the bottom of the vehicle is very much a thing for pickup trucks and some minivans in the US, you're lucky if you can even get the drat thing dropped without a serious fight if the vehicle is more than a couple of years old.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had a 206sw with the opposite problem, the bolt/cage rattled itself undone and dropped my spare on the road behind me at 70mph like laying a mine.

Right into the front grill of the saab 6 inches off my arse.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hair posted:

loving Peugeot. My '08 308 SW still had the spare in the cage underneath the car. They improved the bolt in the boot though. It was a regular hex bolt if i remember right.
They still put all the emergency tools and the jack in a plastic box next to the spare. Of course the box wasn't sealed or anything so everything was completely rusted to poo poo.
It was even more fun on a 205 though. Those didn't have the bolt in the boot. The cage was held on by a bolt underneath the car so it was either completely seized or the latch just fell apart on the road.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

SEKCobra posted:

I'd had a full set about 2 years previous to needing the spare, but honestly I was real dumb and had never bothered replacing the spare.

I used it for about half an hour in total, limped home in it for a cuppa tea then over to the garage once they'd ordered the tyres in. Spare tyre was junked and replaced with the 1 good front tyre I had left.

I got part worns too, as sure enough about a week later I got another metal rod through a tyre. They were relaying the road surface on the lane I went down daily. But the stuff they use is just crushed up concrete and debris so it's filled with metal rebar and such for about a month each time they do it. I usually take the dog for a walk and pick up all the bits as I walk down, usually a good 50 or so bits of metal scrap waiting to leap into my tyres.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Nah, steel wheels generally, but they still have value, and you can just cut the cage with bolt croppers to get it unhooked. Wedging the empty one back up there was just spiteful though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh here's a better one, the spare in the multipla is under the boot floor, lowered by a loving bevel drive wire cable winch. Driven by a hex head embedded in the boot floor. Of course they're all rusted to gently caress so the winch is siezed, the cable is flakes arranged in a line, the wheel is rusted to the end of the cable. As Fiats go it's a loving work of art.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Peugeot ones, like on the 306 and 106 would rust away so you would be driving along and hear a bang and see your spare laying in the road behind you. I usually took the whole lot out and just strapped it into the boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Oops.