Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's pretty annoying/fun (depending on your loot and if you find a vehicle) when you drop north and the circle is centred over the military base or vice versa. It's all part of the game, nothing is ever the exact same but you get a feel for how things go.

The only constantly annoying thing is people who go for kills over trying to win. I've been killed a bunch by people who could make it to the circle and live and everything but decide to shoot me instead just cause of kdr or whatever.

(gently caress how do I keep ending up at the first post on a new page so often)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Not sure if this has already been posted, but there's a pretty easy glitch that will make you hit the ground faster than almost everyone until word gets out on it and everyone starts doing it.

When you are in the free-fall section of the airdrop, hold down W to fall faster like normal. Right when you hit the white portion of the altitude bar where your parachute deploys, let go of W a split second before you hit the white, then hit W again. You will maintain a parachute deploy speed of ~120 that will slowly taper down to the regular 60, rather than dropping to 20 and accelerating to 60.

Will probably get patched as soon as it becomes common use.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Paradigmata posted:

"We resolved the issue with the leaderboards"

Meanwhile 8/10 people in Top10 EU Leaderboard have like under 10 wins and sub 10% Winrating

It's a combo of wins, overall finishes and kills

I was sub 500 in squad with a 5% win rating and like 10 wins, it's just that we never finish out of the top 5 generally

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I was holding down RMB...just twenty years of FPS conditioning I guess. thanks

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Play passive until you know 100% you can go for a kill and get away with it.

ya, I can get to the top 10 pretty easy, its just once I get there and the circle shrinks so fast I get antsy

Nearly every time I get shot trying to get inside the white circle, even after I wait in the blue zone taking damage. rip

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I managed to win for the first time yesterday. I made a bet on the final circle being in a field and there was one of those shacks with the picnic table. I ended up making it there when there were about 20 people left and hid in the shack with 300 rounds of 5.56, 4 smoke bombs, and a 4x scope and killed 3 dudes who were fighting the others collapsing on the center. Then I just ran out and sprayed the last dude full auto when I heard him sneaking up on the other side of the shack.

I can't wait for this game to be less janky because it has been frustrating dealing with things like reloading a gun not actually reloading it, or how many times I have to hit enter to open a door / pick something up / get in a car / loot someones body when I see the prompt.

I also had a funny & frustrating death where a carepackage landed in water and i swam to it and spent 5 minutes having accidentally dropped my rifle & level 3 helmet to the bottom of the ocean to the point where a guy in a boat was able to make it to the package. He spent 3 minutes shooting at me while I tried to swim to shore missing me the entire time and the game kept faking me out by letting me stand in the water so I'd begin reloading the gun I dropped but then i'd go abck to swimming and eventually the guy wised up and went to the beach to shoot me instead of trying in his boat. Lemme shoot a gun in the water :(

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
When the leaderboards got fixed I went from around the mid 3,000 to rank 215 :eyepop:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

When the leaderboards got fixed I went from around the mid 3,000 to rank 215 :eyepop:

yeah i picked up like 100k rankings

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

when they got fixed I went from 2,000 to 22,000.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

VikingSkull posted:

It's a combo of wins, overall finishes and kills

I was sub 500 in squad with a 5% win rating and like 10 wins, it's just that we never finish out of the top 5 generally

The EU ladder is bugged. Your explenation has nothing to do with it. If you want to claim otherwise I invite you to proof me wrong by comparing the Top 10 to each other, or just looking a split second into the winrating board.

Paradigmata fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 24, 2017

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

if anybody reading this is still wondering if this game's any good I just jumped in, landed next to a garage but a guy snagged the car, looted 8 buildings and didn't find a gun, hauled balls across a field into an unlooted house in the circle just as it was closing in, heard footsteps and hid in a bathroom, then one-shotted a dude by cranking him in the head with a frying pan when he opened the door

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, the earlier tips of being more aggressive/kill hungry has improved my play experience a ton. I don't know if im any better but I'm picking up a kill or two every round now. Playing this game like doom is much more rewarding than trying to be the last man standing. I suppose in a few weeks (I can only put in a few hours a week) I'll be good enough to start worrying about the end of the match, but until then, I'm here to slaughter.

Meanwhile my brother's first match he placed second with a bunch of kills. "I used to play arma a couple years ago" he says.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

jonathan posted:

So, the earlier tips of being more aggressive/kill hungry has improved my play experience a ton. I don't know if im any better but I'm picking up a kill or two every round now. Playing this game like doom is much more rewarding than trying to be the last man standing. I suppose in a few weeks (I can only put in a few hours a week) I'll be good enough to start worrying about the end of the match, but until then, I'm here to slaughter.

Meanwhile my brother's first match he placed second with a bunch of kills. "I used to play arma a couple years ago" he says.

If you are the aggressor you set the terms for how the fight will go, and when you get to set the terms you are able to make them as unfairly in your favor as possible. It's why killing people who are just trying to survive by hiding is so easy.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes the community in this game is just :3:

Got a good start landing on a roof in Yasmiya with 2 AK's. The guy on the roof next to me faired considerably worse. After the first circle popped I was cruising along in a buggy and pulled into a garage, only for a dude to come in through the door and murder me. Ended up chatting with him in voice:
Me: "drat. Well played, sir."
Him: "Thanks!"
Me: "Well, don't forget to loot me. AK, M16, tons of ammo and some drugs."
Him: "Thanks! Good luck on the next one!
Me: "Yep! Go get em!"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

eonwe posted:

ive played like 20 or 30 games split between solo / pub queue and i havent won yet

im a bad :(

200 games and no wins. I however make top 10 about 30% of the time.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

Sometimes the community in this game is just :3:

I forget that I have the in-game VOIP muted because in the plane people will spam the loudest audio they possibly can so I never get these moments.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

if "fixing" the droprates means having tons of ARs all over the place then I don't want it to be fixed because that's kinda lame.

i think the amount of ARs was fine prior to this patch, it's the ammo drop rates that they should nerf. make assault rifles only spawn with like 1 magazine each so that you have to keep looting

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
How not to clear a group of houses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWp9J_CIQ4c

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

The Golden Man posted:

if anybody reading this is still wondering if this game's any good I just jumped in, landed next to a garage but a guy snagged the car, looted 8 buildings and didn't find a gun, hauled balls across a field into an unlooted house in the circle just as it was closing in, heard footsteps and hid in a bathroom, then one-shotted a dude by cranking him in the head with a frying pan when he opened the door

You should stream this game Wayne.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

The Golden Man posted:

In a goon squad last night we dove straight for a car some ways east of the school, with plans of getting one asap and then high tailing to a good loot zone that the plane didn't go near.

I landed right by a Dacia and sped to go pick up the others. When I got to the first teammate he was getting chased down by someone in a buggy. The buggy missed and hit a pole so I went full speed to ram him out of spite, and got the buggy smoking. I was backing up to hit him again when a jeep showed up and started to ram everyone. Then allies in another car were there, and then another enemy jeep, at least one other dacia showed up and we basically had a big demolition derby right there on the road, with a few casualties of people who were unwise/unlucky enough to not be in a car. Then some dude looted the house right by us and came out with a shotgun and started spoiling the fun.

There's a video of it, it was good times (even though we all got run over / blasted pretty quickly)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Minorkos posted:

i think the amount of ARs was fine prior to this patch, it's the ammo drop rates that they should nerf. make assault rifles only spawn with like 1 magazine each so that you have to keep looting

Nah, that would be a really bad change. Worrying about ammunition conservation encourages passive play and you create a bunch of problems due to the way the circles work in this game. Looting as much as possible was already strongly incentivized under the old loot system, and the people who happen to start in the circle already reap big rewards for the extra time it gives them. The game works much better for everyone else when fully cleaning out 1-2 compounds in the in the initial landing phase reliably gives you (and your teammates) the tools you need to plausibly win the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raged posted:

200 games and no wins. I however make top 10 about 30% of the time.

hi5 bu ddy

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Just played my 5th game or so and made it to the top 5. I played it slow and steady almost the whole game, never really ran in the open and pretty much crawled or crouched my way to the center point of the map the entire time. I had a guy walked toward me and I opened up on him with the UMP but he did not finish me which was my fault. I rushed him in hope he was healing but he came around the tree and head shotted me pretty drat fast. This game feels much better than H1Z1 KOTK which always felt more arcadey to me.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah I've never played H1Z1 but I looked at it before I got this just to see which one I'd like to try more and I kinda don't get the appeal of H1Z1. It seems to lack the tenseness of this game which is basically the main reason I play it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Jumped over a town that too many people were jumping to as well, so I booked it to a buggy. However some other player got in it first. Today I learned you can sit in the backseat of a car driven by someone else. We drove around together for a while until he found another car and stopped near it so I could get my own car. As he drove off in broken english I heard "Good luck friend".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There really needs to be an auto "mute mic until parachute" option.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I like the towns because I can usually see who killed me compared to running through the trees where I can't tell which of the 20 trees the guy is head peeking in the 0.5s before I die.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Anyone else having the game hard lock or crash when grenades go off nearby them, specifically stuns? I've twice had this happen over the last 2 days.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Uncle Jam posted:

I like the towns because I can usually see who killed me compared to running through the trees where I can't tell which of the 20 trees the guy is head peeking in the 0.5s before I die.

I swear the last 20 deaths I've had were headshots from someone I never saw or heard.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

swampface posted:

I swear the last 20 deaths I've had were headshots from someone I never saw or heard.

I think the kill-can will be a good addition to solo mode, since knowing how you hosed up tends to make dying way less aggravating. I actually feel a little bad when I one-tap someone with a long range headshot in the early-mid game for that reason.

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 25, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
How is the performance of this in its current state? My computer is getting a bit long in the tooth but this honestly looks like a nice bit of fun if I don't take it too seriously.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

swampface posted:

I just figured out shadows can be turned completely off which helps.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

How is the performance of this in its current state? My computer is getting a bit long in the tooth but this honestly looks like a nice bit of fun if I don't take it too seriously.

What are your actual specs? It definitely runs better now, but it's still not where it could be.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

What are your actual specs? It definitely runs better now, but it's still not where it could be.

I run an i7 3770, 16gb of ddr3 and the major bottleneck being the HD7870 graphics card. Holy poo poo, I did not realise it was so old.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Intoluene posted:

I run an i7 3770, 16gb of ddr3 and the major bottleneck being the HD7870 graphics card. Holy poo poo, I did not realise it was so old.

i've got your same set up but i've got a GTX680 4gb instead. everything's set to lowest except textures, which i set to high and the game runs at 1080p 55-60 fps most of the time with some short lagspikes and stuttering at the very start of matches.

i think the HD7870 was equivalent with one of the cards in the GTX 660-680 series?

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 25, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i've never played a game like this before and holy gently caress its fun

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Intoluene posted:

I have half as much ram as you do with a quad core i5 and I run the game okay [high settings low shadows] but I have a rx80 graphics card [8gb] so my guess this game is really graphics heavy.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Huh, not bad for my 6th game

my heart was pounding the last 10 mins of that match.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

ShadowMar posted:

i've got your same set up but i've got a GTX680 4gb instead. everything's set to lowest except textures, which i set to high and the game runs at 1080p 55-60 fps most of the time with some short lagspikes and stuttering at the very start of matches.

i think the HD7870 was equivalent with one of the cards in the GTX 660-680 series?

Roughly equivalent to a 660ti iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You could just get the game and refund it through steam if it doesn't work, IIRC Early Access games follow the same rules as normal games.

• Locked thread