Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Rightio, well this is a pointless diversion.

Aside from Dark Tower stuff, is Ace Merril the character that King has revisited the most? He's in THE BODY, NONA and NEEDFUL THINGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Hmm. One allegation that was completely destroyed, and another where the accuser dropped it. Makes you think.

Singer likes twinks. That's not really much of a secret. It's also a vast world away from being a paedophile.

lmao

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

DrVenkman posted:

Rightio, well this is a pointless diversion.

Aside from Dark Tower stuff, is Ace Merril the character that King has revisited the most? He's in THE BODY, NONA and NEEDFUL THINGS.

And Ace Merrill's grandfather (I think?) was the antagonist in The Sun Dog. Great story, but goddamn, talk about a lot of fat that needed to be trimmed. It's far too much, even by King standards.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

"Gender Violence" is my alt account name.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
got Doctor Sleep and On Writing paperbacks for 50 cents each at a yard sale today

the guy said Doctor Sleep is a good book so I know he is a lying salesman

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Doctor Sleep is a sequel that doesn't live up to its predecessor. It's good, not great.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
good point

I'll drive back to the yard sale and tell him that

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I'm about a third of the way through It for the first time and King is reminding me (more than previous books) how weird he is about writing people who are laughing. Uncontrollable laughter fits where people are literally rolling around on the floor?

I love his writing (obv) but... ugh. I hope that at the end of the book it's been revealed that Pennywise has been pumping laughing gas into these people's homes or something.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
one time in high school my friends and i were super high and 'in the hall of the mountain king' came on my buddy's itunes shuffle and for some reason that struck all of us as the funniest poo poo ever and led to several of us literally rolling on the floor but that's the only time i've ever seen that happen and like i said we were really high

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm about a third of the way through It for the first time and King is reminding me (more than previous books) how weird he is about writing people who are laughing. Uncontrollable laughter fits where people are literally rolling around on the floor?

I love his writing (obv) but... ugh. I hope that at the end of the book it's been revealed that Pennywise has been pumping laughing gas into these people's homes or something.

A spoiler, though not necessarily for It:

Dandelo in The Dark Tower makes Roland lose his poo poo laughing, and it's pretty strongly hinted that Dandelo is the same sort of creature as Pennywise. So it's basically magic laughing gas.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Ein cooler Typ posted:

got Doctor Sleep and On Writing paperbacks for 50 cents each at a yard sale today

On Writing is by far the better book of the two. And I don't really like books "about" writing.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Is there no option to read the original versions of The Stand and The Gunslinger other than finding an old used copy?

I was hoping for an ebook release, in searching for one it looks like a lot of people want to read the originals. Has King ever commented on a re-release?

edit: I see there's also an audiobook of the original gunslinger.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 23, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ein cooler Typ posted:

DOCTOR SLEEP is fine. At least, any of the Danny parts are. I wish that King just wrote a straight story about Danny trying to make do in the world, because they are by far the best parts of the book. Everything about the True Knot is terrible, not least of all because they're probably King's most ineffectual villains. He just assures us they're really bad people.

Koburn posted:

Is there no option to read the original versions of The Stand and The Gunslinger other than finding an old used copy?

I was hoping for an ebook release, in searching for one it looks like a lot of people want to read the originals. Has King ever commented on a re-release?

edit: I see there's also an audiobook of the original gunslinger.

I can't speak to THE GUNSLINGER, but I still like the extended version of THE STAND. Sure there are parts I'd excise, but I think if you read the re-release of that book first you wouldn't really think it was an expanded version.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The "no great loss" chapter alone is some of King's best writing, and the only place to get it is in the expanded edition.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Doctor Sleep is odd because it's, like, a couple of solid books jammed together to make a turd. Like, I'd read a book about The True Knot and their weird family and their struggles to keep alive, fed and unnoticed. I'd read an entire book about a hospital porter using his psychic powers to act as a psychopomp. I'd read an entire book about Danny Torrance and his struggles with addiction, anger and The Shining. I wouldn't read a book about Abra, because those bits bored me rigid, but "the difficulties of growing up as a teenage girl who is also a powerful psychic" seems to me like it has YA Fiction Bestseller all over it. And then Stephen King rams it all together and hot drat is it ever a mess. The True Knot turn into gormless villains who pose no threat whatsoever and really really hate Abra for no good reason, Danny's characterisation basically comes down to "he kinda wants a drink and he feels guilty about that time he stole from that chick", Abra is perfect and precocious and never puts a foot wrong, there's a whole Swiss Army Knife of made-up-on-the-fly bullshit powers pulled out of everyone's psychic asses, loving ghosts are beating the poo poo out of people, there's waaaaaaaaaaay the gently caress too many characters just wandering around with 0 time to get fleshed out and that evil hospital porter's whole arc is "jerk --> dead". It really reeked to me of King digging out four or five little story nubs he couldn't quite make work and going "aight fuckit Christmas is coming" and mushing them together.

Tell ya what though, I found an old copy of Christine at the local Oxfam and reread it - hot drat that's a good book. I read it when I was 12 or 13 and just remembered it as being a goofy piece of poo poo about WoOoOoO PsYcHiC rOcK & rOlL CaR but man it really is quite an excellent coming of age tale and also a damned good window into a certain era of American history. What what, shitters!

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Koburn posted:

I got a used copy off of ebay just a few months ago for $3 in good condition. It's not as hard to find as I thought it would be.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Just read THE FLEXIBLE BULLET. It was great, but I wish that there was just a bit more ambiguity to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Sleep isn't a very good sequel to the Shining from a horror perspective but it is as a dude dealing with alcoholism perspective. Everything dealing with alcoholism in the book is absolutely agonizingly dead-on, especially if you have personal experience with a family member with those issues. The rest is eeeeh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Dr. Sleep isn't a very good sequel to the Shining from a horror perspective but it is as a dude dealing with alcoholism perspective. Everything dealing with alcoholism in the book is absolutely agonizingly dead-on, especially if you have personal experience with a family member with those issues. The rest is eeeeh

I mean, I'll be the weirdo that admits to enjoying the concept of a sexy ageless siren psychic lady in a magic top hat who seduces anyone willing to join her RV convoy.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
yeah it's a fun concept it's just not scary

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've been listening to the audio book of Christine lately. Stephen King is really good at writing overbearing mothers.

I also got a kick out of the fact that the narrator is the dude who played Deke in Maximum Overdrive.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

yeah it's a fun concept it's just not scary

Oh it was supposed to be scary? Hahaha, what?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, I'll be the weirdo that admits to enjoying the concept of a sexy ageless siren psychic lady in a magic top hat who seduces anyone willing to join her RV convoy.

I think the biggest issue with them is that King consistently tells us how bad the true knot are, and outside of one very good scene we never see it. It's clear that his real love was writing about Danny to the detriment of anyone else. He could've written a much better book about the knot, but this isn't it.

Then you have Abra who is just brilliant at everything and easily sidesteps the one moment she's in real danger. She only ever gets interesting as a character right at the end, and it's for like 5 pages.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the parts of Doctor Sleep about Danny being an alcoholic. But the salesman told me I would like the ending, so I know he hasn't read it or he was just trying to push the sale.

On Writing is a great book; I've read that before. I would have been willing to pay a hole dollar just for that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The true knot lived off of a substance that was produced by torturing children to death but nope, not evil at all.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The true knot lived off of a substance that was produced by torturing children to death but nope, not evil at all.

I don't think anyone is disputing that. But they're still borderline ineffectual as villains. King literally just tells you 'These cannisters are full of a child's essence. Aren't these guys bastards'? Before going on to talk about Abra again.

And any evilness they have as a troop is undone by how utterly blundering they are.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Just read THE FLEXIBLE BULLET. It was great, but I wish that there was just a bit more ambiguity to it.

Have you read Nona?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Have you read Nona?

Yeah I just finished SKELETON CREW. I'd read a bunch before but only read NONA for the first time in that one. Interestingly the refrain from NONA (Do you love?) is used again in THE REACH.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
So I am reading Salem's Lot, the first King book I have read in ten years, and I love how it seems to be the prototype for 75 % of his later books. Only difference is that it lacks many of his tics, which became more and more prominent the more popular he got. There's even a section where a kid makes fun of his parents for communicating in folksy cliches, which could just as easily be directed at current day King.

I am enjoying it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Red Letter Media discuss The Mist movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1asq06rh2qo

tl; dr: Very stylised homage to B-movie horror flicks. Effects don't hold up so well but passable in b&w. Mrs Carmody is too hammy - when many of us in this thread have been saying she's not extreme enough.

Dr Sleep only has one good part: the death of the boy. That is authentically chilling. The rest is stale poop.

Christine. drat yes! Great fine. Eerie and sad to see Arnie getting so tough and cynical and lose his charm. Allegory of growing up and growing apart from friends. Yes, Regina really is kind of terrible, pathetic, pitiable and infuriating. You can understand how Arnie would grow to resent her, even without Christine's influence.

I think King bollocksed up the narration, going 1st person, 3rd person, 1st person. If you remember Tommyknockers he followed Bobbi and Gard in 1st section, looked at the town in the 2nd and combined the town and B + G in the 3rd section. Works really well and it's done in 3rd person. Obviously in Christine King wanted to write some personal stuff from Dennis's p.o.v. about friendship, high school etc but if you think back to Frannie and Larry in The Stand, we get a very good sense of their feelings and interior monologues via 3rd person p.o.v. King really could have done the same with Christine, as he had to do the 2nd part in 3rd person. Should have been 3rd person all the way through.

Incidentally, we know King's central characters die very rarely (I can only think of characters in The Stand, Jack in The Shining and Gard in Tommyknockers, but there's a technical limitation. It is almost impossible to kill a 1st person narrator, so some of the tension goes from an action story told 1st person.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Incidentally, we know King's central characters die very rarely (I can only think of characters in The Stand, Jack in The Shining and Gard in Tommyknockers, but there's a technical limitation. It is almost impossible to kill a 1st person narrator, so some of the tension goes from an action story told 1st person.

There were a couple of central character deaths in 'Salem's Lot. Susan and Jimmy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

There were a couple of central character deaths in 'Salem's Lot. Susan and Jimmy

I'd also count Father Callahan, since he basically is dead to the story with his defeat; you can say he shows up in DT, but it's irrelevant to the stakes in SL

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Disagree. I don't think we get inside their heads in the same way as those I listed though I concede that I think the characterisation of Father Callaghan especially is great, but is it really enough to call him a main character?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'd say so. On my first read I thought he'd be the badass who saves the day. It's a good subversion

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Dark Tower trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C0A2GpMNP8

idk I don't know what they're doing with this. Trailer doesn't really make me optimistic for a good movie

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I didn't really get warm fuzzies from the trailer.

On the plus side, there were shout-outs to the Overlook Hotel and Pennywise in the trailer.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think there's definitely some potential there.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There's no chance the dark tower movie will be good, but it might be enjoyable enough i guess. making it a continuation of the books is an interesting take on it at least.

Hope the lead actors get some good material to work with. also, roland looks to dapper, not like i envisioned him. movie ruined.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The Dark Tower trailer

idk I don't know what they're doing with this. Trailer doesn't really make me optimistic for a good movie

The exposition is clunky but everything else looks good. Roland is just a little more flashy than I'd like, but I don't mind it.

McConnahey (spelling?) is probably going to be great as the MiB.

I think the key thing to remember is that they're treating this as a different cycle. It's a good way to avoid the pitfalls of most book-to-film adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The Dark Tower trailer

I think this looks neat. Considering how off the rails TDT gets in the later books (I gave up in Song), I'm down for a weird adaptation if they make it interesting.

I definitely would not want a 1:1 conversion to a movie series anyway.