Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

The last writers strike is also credited with spurring the "golden age of television" since a lot of shows were conceived and hashed out between writers while they weren't doing much.

So next year we'll have *~platinum television?~* :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The last writers' strike led to some of the best episodes of Late Night with Conan O'Brien and to Coco growing a sweet beard, so I'm on board.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It forced the writers of :lost: to cut a heap of padding and they ended up doing one of their best seasons.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 21, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah if anything shortened seasons of Network TV is only a good thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It only works out for scripted shows if they can prepare for it, which this time more shows will be able to. Some shows got screwed because they were preparing for bigger seasons and were suddenly cut short.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Does anyone in this thread give a poo poo about Powerless?

I'm curious if anyone watches it. I thought it looked really cheap and forced early on, but the last three-ish episodes have been pretty good -- I really think it's starting to hit its stride and turn into something interesting.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Yakmouth posted:

Does anyone in this thread give a poo poo about Powerless?

I'm curious if anyone watches it. I thought it looked really cheap and forced early on, but the last three-ish episodes have been pretty good -- I really think it's starting to hit its stride and turn into something interesting.

Yeah...it's ok. It's gotten better I guess. Honestly, I mostly just watch it for Tudyk and comic references.

I mean the funniest thing to come out of the show wasn't even on the show, and that was the whole gas attack episode debacle.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Jinkies. Following in the footsteps of Bane and Professor Xavier, Captain America is going to be reading a bedtime story to children on the BBC. I keep waiting for someone to say it's the other, godawful copperbonce Chris Evans but apparently not, it's the real deal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unlike Nick Spencer, Chris Evans supports punching Nazis in their loving face, so I'm all for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yeah Chris Evens isn't bad. I like him in the role.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lurdiak posted:

Unlike Nick Spencer, Chris Evans supports punching Nazis in their loving face, so I'm all for it.

But Cap is and always was a Nazi sympathizer now. So really Richard Spenser should probably play Captain America.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
How the gently caress did Nick Spencer get his hands on Cap in the first place, he's a terrible writer on all possible counts.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm gonna be completely fair that even worse writers have gotten to handle even higher profile characters.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Preacher news:

Malcolm Barrett is Hoover, Julie Ann Emery is Featherstone, and Pip Torrens is Herr Starr

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They announced today that for the season finale of Supergirl they're bringing in Zod. They've cast Mark Gibbon who oddly enough has been in Smallville and Man of Steel in minor parts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

They announced today that for the season finale of Supergirl they're bringing in Zod. They've cast Mark Gibbon who oddly enough has been in Smallville and Man of Steel in minor parts.

Barry is gonna run in and kill Zod isn't he?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiny Superman is supposed to be back by then so maybe they'll use this to explain where he's been.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

twistedmentat posted:

Barry is gonna run in and kill Zod isn't he?

Laurel is. Last time he killed her after all.

(I hope someone knows what I am talking aboit)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Did Rip just make out with his spaceship

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Powerless is off the schedule the next two weeks so it's more or less dead.

Also the WGA voted like 97% in favor of strike authorization :ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Good, the writers are getting dicked over and the authorization is their only leverage.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

zoux posted:

Powerless is off the schedule the next two weeks so it's more or less dead.

Interesting. What happens next? I didn't pay any attention to the last strike.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HIJK posted:

We get a glut of reality tv shows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

Well they strike, everything stops production. Because it's over the summer, when most shows aren't in production, it shouldn't be as bad as the one that happened ten years ago. That one ran about three months I think. The only comic book show that is going into production right now (that I know of) is JJ S2 so that could be affected.

OR the threat of a strike is enough to bring studios to the table.

e:Here's an article

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 25, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Basically what Zoux said. Worst case, unlike last time, which was practically a blood bath for shows, is a bunch of stuff is delayed weeks or months next season. And also a bunch of lovely reality shows.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I said this in the Supergirl thread, but using Zod again just seems so lazy.

The only way I'll accept it is if Lilliputian Superman fights a Giant-Sized Zod for maximum contrast. :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Remember that Titans show TNT passed on? WB gave it to Berlanti, and it's going to be on a new DC branded streaming service .

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Akiva Goldsman :whitewater:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Titans should really be a Whedon show so they can indulge their penchant for killing characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There is no chance I will pay for a DC streaming service. Either put it on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon or gently caress off with it.

Unfortunately this is a sign of where things are heading in the future. Every goddamn studio and company is going to have their own streaming service.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luckily, most of them will fail and die. Especially if they are ad supported, ads are in big trouble.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The funny thing is Warner Bros already tried a streaming service and it failed so miserably I don't think many people know it existed. FYI it is where all the James Bond movies went when the vanished from Netflix years ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And people still say they prefer streaming over physical media. It would be fine if the companies would be sensible and think of what is best for their audience, but no, we are in a world of more money for us, gently caress you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I wonder if they decided to make this like a more expansive Marvel Unlimited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

And people still say they prefer streaming over physical media. It would be fine if the companies would be sensible and think of what is best for their audience, but no, we are in a world of more money for us, gently caress you.

There's a huge chunk of America that can't stream.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I prefer streaming to physical media. I watch literally everything on my tablet.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've bought movies on BluRay then watched the version streaming on Netflix/Amazon/etc.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm going to watch every episode of Titans just so I can laugh at how terrible Beast Boy will look with usual terrible VFX these shows have.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

I wonder if they decided to make this like a more expansive Marvel Unlimited.

I was thinking the same thing. That would really be about the only thing that would entice me to subscribe to another streaming service, which is an odd thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If it's comics and tv shows/movies then I would subscribe no problem.