Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm imagining the less-granual "threat index" was stealth previewd in SWA, in the form of the Special Operatives weapons loadouts. All the loadouts "cost" the same, but it's easier to choose one you prefer without an artificial cost telling you that gear set A is arbitrarily "better" than B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Crossposting from the mad thread.

TTerrible posted:

11th March 2017: Gathering Storm - Rise of the Primarch is released.

22nd April 2017:

Forty two days if you got it on release day.

GUYS GW ARE AMAZING FOR OFFERING REFUNDS. THIS IS SO COOl. I CANT BELIEVE THEY'RE BEING SO GENEROUS.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'm excited to play 8th edition Warhammer. Maybe you guys should just give it a chance! :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TTerrible posted:

Crossposting from the mad thread.

GUYS GW ARE AMAZING FOR OFFERING REFUNDS. THIS IS SO COOl. I CANT BELIEVE THEY'RE BEING SO GENEROUS.

You would be generous too if you were banking on the fact that Space Marine players will have to buy all new guys if they dont want to lame-o's with tiny marines.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I think it's fair to wish this was being mentioned earlier. Core rules being free helps here, as does the fact that this is a voucher instead of a refund, but it's still kind of lovely for people who didn't realize a new edition was coming.

Still, at least it's miles ahead of how they handled the End Times rules releases.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
We're so lucky to have GW in the hobby. They release and market a product they invalidate 42 days later and give US refunds. Surely we're supposed to pay them???????? I can't handle it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TTerrible posted:

We're so lucky to have GW in the hobby. They release and market a product they invalidate 42 days later and give US refunds. Surely we're supposed to pay them???????? I can't handle it.

You have an entire thread for shitposting in, please stop posting here.

I love giving GW poo poo too but dude you've been every 3rd post for the last 4 pages, stop posting.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

TTerrible posted:

I don't understand you. I am afraid to try.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I love giving GW poo poo too but dude you've been every 3rd post for the last 4 pages, stop posting.

I have six posts in the last four pages and four of them are on this page. With a grasp of numbers like that I can see why you like the AoS ruleset.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

I have six posts in the last four pages and four of them are on this page. With a grasp of numbers like that I can see why you like the AoS ruleset.

:shittypop:

Can I recommend a nice cooldown period, perhaps play a little Star Citizen.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Where is the 12 page core rules rumor originating from? This raises my warning alarm like nothing else that's been revealed so far.

edit: Also you WAAC crybabies should learn to adapt to an unbound thread instead of crying about the bad man posts

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 24, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most companies give you literally $0 when they invalidate their rules with a new edition. I can't think of a company who has done something like this before.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Most companies give you literally $0 when they invalidate their rules with a new edition. I can't think of a company who has done something like this before.

They sold an expansion and invalidated 42 days later.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Remember, we can't draw any comparisons to the End Times.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Soulfucker posted:

Where is the 12 page core rules rumor originating from? This raises my warning alarm like nothing else that's been revealed so far.

People are extruding from the comment that there will be printed copies available at games stores to give out in limited quantities. The 12 page thing from what I gather is made up.

That being said, you could take the current core rules, reduce the font size and get it to about 18 pages, so it's probably not that far off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Sorry about your gathering storm purchase :(

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hixson posted:

I'm excited to play 8th edition Warhammer. Maybe you guys should just give it a chance! :)

why arent you using my av I made you?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

The last 40k books I purchased were the rulebook from eBay and marine codex in June 2015 :ssh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

TTerrible posted:

The last 40k books I purchased were the rulebook from eBay and marine codex in June 2015 :ssh:

Who's the real fool then?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Who's the real fool then?

Moola.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TTerrible posted:

Clearly the answer is to just stop releasing any and all product for X months before a new edition. Have fun bickering about what X should be!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Warhammer 40k: Jerk detected!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well yeah, that writing was abysmal.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Strobe posted:

Clearly the answer is to just stop releasing any and all product for X months before a new edition. Have fun bickering about what X should be!

..or perhaps release things that aren't invalidated by a new edition, like not-rules. If only they sold other stuff.

Paints.
Minatures.
Hobby related books like painting guides.
Scenery kits.
Stand alone games.
Expansions for games not being overhauled.

it's a shame the only thing they can do is print rulebooks they've already set an expiration date on. Welp thats gaming.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Yeast posted:

People are extruding from the comment that there will be printed copies available at games stores to give out in limited quantities. The 12 page thing from what I gather is made up.

https://twitter.com/GeekJockPete/status/856600913548652547

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sykic posted:

If, during your movement phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary land speeder
If the player of Slaanesh Marines is shirtless, marines get a +1 to armour and cover saves (To a minimum of 2)

Your opponent gets -1 to hit rolls because they are now blind.

TTerrible posted:

..or perhaps release things that aren't invalidated by a new edition, like not-rules. If only they sold other stuff.

Paints.
Minatures.
Hobby related books like painting guides.
Scenery kits.
Stand alone games.
Expansions for games not being overhauled.

it's a shame the only thing they can do is print rulebooks they've already set an expiration date on. Welp thats gaming.

Yeah but when is the cutoff point.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Curse you Twitter! :sweatdrop:

Welp, there you go. Not bad.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

If the player of Slaanesh Marines is shirtless, marines get a +1 to armour and cover saves (To a minimum of 2)

Your opponent gets -1 to hit rolls because they are now blind.

Yeah but when is the cutoff point.

I've never said that they shouldn't replace anything. Of course they have to invalidate stuff. The 42 days between release and invalidation for the last Gathering Storm book is completely ridiculous and so is the suggestion that they couldn't release anything else in the run up. They have AoS, they have Blood Bowl, they have the boxed games, they have things for 40k that aren't rulebooks.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

TTerrible posted:

New rules are out in June, so you have to use the old rules till then. So, about 70-80 days! It does feel like a lovely move to sell something with such a short shelf-life. As far as lovely moves go, it ain't much of one.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Strobe posted:

Yeah. I think it's fair to say entirely new rules shouldn't necessarily be released right before a new edition, or released but at least described as the edition's swan song so people would know what they're getting into.

That said, I can see a grey area of model releases. After all, if Fire Warriors are currently the meta focus but become poo poo in 8th edition, people might feel ripped off for buying in. Sure, the hobby aspect would still be there, but you could still have people feeling burned over a model sale like that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

y tho?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Working on magnetizing my Marine Sergeants I suddenly realize that I'm not sure how overboard I should go with that. I should probably hold off on anything worse than Bolters and Combiweapons right now despite having a couple of stormbolters and some other melee weapons I could do.
Even if I just wish I had more legs to go with all my torsos. :arghfist:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

WELP. I take it the upcoming release of "Codex: Random Xenos", a thing my group has joked about for years, is also a thing now because of course it is?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

u know

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Soulfucker posted:

WELP. I take it the upcoming release of "Codex: Random Xenos", a thing my group has joked about for years, is also a thing now because of course it is?

They're all in temporary 'Big ol book of X' until their mini-codex comes out, Ala Age of Sigmar, which expands their rules, strategic points etc.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Sykic posted:

If, during your movement phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary land speeder

they're finally doing it 😂😂😂

12 pages for the core rules, age of sigmore here we come

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'd shotgun a beer for +1 BS.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I think it's fair to wish this was being mentioned earlier. Core rules being free helps here, as does the fact that this is a voucher instead of a refund, but it's still kind of lovely for people who didn't realize a new edition was coming.

Man AoS did this exact thing

$80 hardcover paperweights, this wasn't a surprise

• Locked thread