Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ehhhh your probably not going to do a better job than that guy who was doing the imgur recaps and even that guy petered out after a season. it's hard to critique because there is SO MUCH wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm thinking of making a thread about my attempt to watch the entire Arrowverse based on the Toxxupation Doctor Who thread. I'm not interested in writing essays, though. Is there a gimmick I should go for?

I wouldn't do this, but if you're gonna do this don't half-rear end it. Do timely recaps, update regularly (and frequently), and put effort into it. Especially since it's always a hint of a vanity project if you're gonna try you need to whole-hog it or don't bother.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, i like the Arrowverse but its dumbass comic book stuff so if you go into it specifically looking to be hyper critical I can't imagine it ending in any way besides you giving up in frustration before you lose your mind.

But I mean, I've never understood "hate watching" so if its what drives you go for it, bud. But navigating the web of Arrow/Flash/Legends/Supergirl is going to be a chore. And don't forget Constantine and the web cartoons.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the main thing is this is four/five shows. Constantine I think was one season but the rest have more than that under their belt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Results are in; 96.3 percent of the WGA's membership voted to authorize a strike, which would most likely begin at 12:01 a.m. next Monday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah and they intersect at weird times and places so like you not only have to deal with the real crossovers (which there's been 4, I think) but also the littler cameo crossovers they've done a bunch of times. So you basically just have to watch the four shows at nearly a chronological air date pace, or at least jumping back and forth mid seasons.

Constantine is kind of tertiary but he is a character who shows up, as is Vixen and her cartoons and the show makes some reference to them. So if you're trying to do it right as some kind of project you should probably include them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timby posted:

Results are in; 96.3 percent of the WGA's membership voted to authorize a strike, which would most likely begin at 12:01 a.m. next Monday.

Haha wow was it a landslide like this last time?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read somewhere that last time was 90%.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bring back old gbs posted:

Haha wow was it a landslide like this last time?

I believe the membership voted 90 percent in favor of a strike back in 2007.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So SNL and most of the late night shows are probably screwed for a while

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Good on them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just bring back Craig Ferguson and let him riff for an hour every night with Geoff the Gay Robot Skeleton.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

So SNL and most of the late night shows are probably screwed for a while

SNL only has two more episodes this season and they aren't for several more weeks, so I imagine Lorne and his team are rushing to get stuff done. The late night shows are definitely in trouble, especially since Conan, Colbert, Kimmel, Fallon and Meyers are WGA members. If this turns out anything like 2007 - 08, the big losers are going to be the shows that would normally start filming their new seasons in June or July, so it's entirely possible we'll get another run of strike-shortened seasons (depending on whether or not the AMPTP has been stockpiling scripts during the buildup, which is entirely possible).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man the finale of FEUD is so sad :(

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Timby posted:

(depending on whether or not the AMPTP has been stockpiling scripts during the buildup, which is entirely possible).

This is not really feasible with serialized TV because inevitably what gets shot isn't exactly as scripted (production error, actors changing their lines, locations not physically matching what's written, etc.).

Over the course of a season, these mistakes and/or happy accidents would snowball and the resulting product would be nonsensical without rewrites.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just finished episode 5 of Preacher and uh huh, that's my poo poo. God drat it's good. Jackie Earl Haley is great in it

It's like a pulp version of The Leftovers

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Silicon Valley, s3e2: "I know that this is a Japanese tradition, and you are Chinese​. I am not racist." "yes. Japanese people racist. They're horrible."

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh man the finale of FEUD is so sad :(

Kinda regret their not being a FEUD thread. I don't think many people watched it though. It is getting another season based on Charles and Diana though.

It was great and Sarandon and Lange really pulled their weight becoming these doyennes of cinema. The video I posted below really encapsulates how good the actresses did playing their parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxiX6NGf0ig

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, I forgot about Feud, I gotta check that out when I finish Preacher.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite TV thing this year is the people worshipping a giant blowup doll of Gary Busey on The Leftovers.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 25, 2017

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Midway through "13 Reasons Why" and when I was mentioning it to someone else, some friends I know chimed in saying that they didn't like the show because of it's depiction of suicide and then there was a brief discussion about the problematic issues with the show even when between them they only watched one episode because they didn't want to waste time on it.

So...have you ever had someone try to enforce their opinion about a show on you, without having given the show a chance?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Midway through "13 Reasons Why" and when I was mentioning it to someone else, some friends I know chimed in saying that they didn't like the show because of it's depiction of suicide and then there was a brief discussion about the problematic issues with the show even when between them they only watched one episode because they didn't want to waste time on it.

So...have you ever had someone try to enforce their opinion about a show on you, without having given the show a chance?

If you really don't like a show after watching one episode you are not obligated to continue

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

If you really don't like a show after watching one episode you are not obligated to continue

But the most you can really say in that case is you didn't like that episode. Which is fine, but you can't really act like you have a fully formed opinion of it. One episode is probably enough for some people to judge whether a show is for them or not, but it's not really enough to judge the show on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Except if that show is Under the Dome.

One of us

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm thinking of making a thread about my attempt to watch the entire Arrowverse based on the Toxxupation Doctor Who thread. I'm not interested in writing essays, though. Is there a gimmick I should go for?

Do it from the perspective of Rory from Legends of Tomorrow / Flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM5Zaw6O4Ec

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Counterpoint: He wrote and directed Blade Trinity.

Which was ... not good.

Blade Trinity was not good primarily because Wesley Snipes had gone off the deep end by that point. They were constantly changing the script and filming with his stand in because he refused to work and would only communicate with the director via post-its written to Blade.

Patton Oswalt has a great postmortem on it:

quote:

Oh, Christ. That was the third Blade movie. And there’s a scene where Blade goes in and confronts this guy for harvesting humans. That scene was supposed to be the whole basis of the film. Blade is fighting for the last shred of humanity. But they thought that it was just so loving grim, so they decided to just have Blade fighting Dracula. It was just one of those; it was a very troubled production. Wesley [Snipes] was just loving crazy in a hilarious way. He wouldn’t come out of his trailer, and he would smoke weed all day. Which is fine with me, because I had all these DVDs that I wanted to catch up on. We were in Vancouver, and it was always raining. I kept the door to my trailer open to smell the evening rain while I was watching a movie. Then I remember one day on the set—they let everyone pick their own clothes—there was one black actor who was also kind of a club kid. And he wore this shirt with the word “Garbage” on it in big stylish letters. It was his shirt. And Wesley came down to the set, which he only did for close-ups. Everything else was done by his stand-in. I only did one scene with him. But he comes on and goes, “There’s only one other black guy in the movie, and you make him wear a shirt that says ‘Garbage?’ You racist motherfucker!”

And he tried to strangle the director, David Goyer. So later that night, Ron Perlman was in the city. Everyone who makes movies in Vancouver stays in the same hotel. It’s like an episode of The Love Boat. Every time the elevator stops, you’ve got a different celebrity getting on. Like, [announcer voice] “Hey, now we’ve got Danny Glover!” So we went out that night to some strip club, and we were all drinking. And there were a bunch of bikers there, so David says to them, “I’ll pay for all your drinks if you show up to set tomorrow and pretend to be my security.” Wesley freaked out and went back to his trailer. [Laughs.] And the next day, Wesley sat down with David and was like, “I think you need to quit. You’re detrimental to this movie.” And David was like, “Why don’t you quit? We’ve got all your close-ups, and we could shoot the rest with your stand-in.” And that freaked Wesley out so much that, for the rest of the production, he would only communicate with the director through Post-it notes. And he would sign each Post-it note “From Blade.”

A lot of the lines that Ryan Reynolds has were just a result of Wesley not being there. We would all just think of things for him to say and then cut to Wesley’s face not doing anything because that’s all we could get from him. It was kind of funny. We were like, “What are the worst jokes and puns that we can say to this guy?” And then it would just be his face going, “Mmm.” “Smiles are contagious.” It’s so, so dumb. [Laughs.] That was an example of a very troubled shoot that we made fun. You have to find a way to make it fun.

Everyone was just like, “This is going to be such a great story.” I’m in this business for two reasons: the money and the anecdotes. That’s all I want. I either want to do the best films or the loving worst films. I don’t want to do the “eh” film.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

I've seen the whole show and I agree with them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just watched e1 of 13 Reasons Why. I like the conceit, and for now the actors/characters are tolerable, but some of the dialogue is atrocious, and all the typical high school tropes are present.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

My favorite TV thing this year is the people worshipping a giant blowup doll of Gary Busey on The Leftovers.

I may have to reevaluate my opinion on this terrible terrible show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

Just watched e1 of 13 Reasons Why. I like the conceit, and for now the actors/characters are tolerable, but some of the dialogue is atrocious, and all the typical high school tropes are present.

It gets better about that. Much. The first episode is not a good representation, or it's a deliberately well-done fakeout, whichever.

So my wife and I ended up liking Preacher so much we stayed up all night and watched the whole drat season.

And then I made the mistake of reading the thread for it, which besides all the insanely dumb "but the COMICS" I was gobsmacked by posts about how "nothing is happening" and it's so boring and slow and I'm like... what in the actual gently caress did you people watch???

And then I looked at the ratings it got and I'm like... are we crazy or is the rest of the world, how was this show not a massive hit, or even a moderate hit? I can't think of anyone I know who I wouldn't recommend this show to. It has everything! Well not really, but it's so good. So good!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is boring and slow, though? About 1-2 great scenes per episode and the rest is filler.

IRQ posted:

I may have to reevaluate my opinion on this terrible terrible show.

Leftovers is loving phenomenal dude. Don't judge it by the first half of s1.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Escobarbarian posted:

I've seen the whole show and I agree with them.

Was the show enjoyable for you though?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, silicon valley (s3e6) "Russ was right... This guy fucks...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

It is boring and slow, though? About 1-2 great scenes per episode and the rest is filler.

You defended Rectify season 4 as being just as good as seasons 1-3, and now I see why :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-O posted:

But the most you can really say in that case is you didn't like that episode. Which is fine, but you can't really act like you have a fully formed opinion of it. One episode is probably enough for some people to judge whether a show is for them or not, but it's not really enough to judge the show on.

You give people a chance. You give a show as many watches as the show earns by gaining and keeping your interest. If it's so virulently horrible that one episode is all that manages then welp, that was "the chance".

For example, Bill Nye's new show was so bad that by the time Zach Braff showed up I'd rather have been washing my eyes in Listerine. So, I gave that show a chance, and it turns out the chance was worth less than one episode's runtime.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Was the show enjoyable for you though?

No it's real bad. The melodrama/teen drama bullshit only got worse as it went on, not better. And Clay is just the worst fuckin protagonist of all time.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Hey! The best thing about this Leftovers/Perfect Strangers opening video you posted is that some guy made it and uploaded it on April 14th. He just guessed that they were going to do this based on the episode's title ("Don't Be Ridiculous") and that's why the Written By credit isn't the Wu-Tang names. Now that's pretty loving awesome!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The Leftovers' Season Three opening credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZUFbEpSOCw

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

precision posted:

And then I looked at the ratings it got and I'm like... are we crazy or is the rest of the world, how was this show not a massive hit, or even a moderate hit? I can't think of anyone I know who I wouldn't recommend this show to. It has everything! Well not really, but it's so good. So good!

You're crazy, it's poo poo.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I think part of the Preacher disparity here may be that it works a lot better in a binge (especially a one-nighter like they did) than it did week-to-week.

That being said, that Saint Of Killers episode was pretty amazing and worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

precision posted:

It gets better about that. Much. The first episode is not a good representation, or it's a deliberately well-done fakeout, whichever.

So my wife and I ended up liking Preacher so much we stayed up all night and watched the whole drat season.

And then I made the mistake of reading the thread for it, which besides all the insanely dumb "but the COMICS" I was gobsmacked by posts about how "nothing is happening" and it's so boring and slow and I'm like... what in the actual gently caress did you people watch???

I think the thread actually turned around on the show during the final third of the season, especially last few episodes which have some of my black comedy scenes in anything.

• Locked thread