Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My rink has an ice show this week, so no lessons for me :argh:

Re: Pants. I really like my CCM Tacks Classic Pros. They're listed as $119 for senior, but I got mine for only $60 at a local hockey shop. I'm still a novice, but pants were the only equipment I bought that weren't bottom-of-the-barrel and they're definitely showing the least wear of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

xzzy posted:

I developed knee pain last week, no injury, it just hurt when going up stairs. Was nervous about skating on it but playing yesterday actually made it feel a bit better. Hockey cures all!

This happened to me as well playing in net. Stretching seemed to fix it. I did a ton of hip flexor/hamstring stretches.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Could be IT band issues. They can range from pretty minor to debilitating/excruciating pain that prevents you from putting any pressure on the joint. It can occur due to overuse, muscle imbalance etc. Often its a relatively dull pain that lingers for a while and I noticed it when going up stairs or pushing down on a bicycle pedal. It seemed to start on the outside of my knee and work its way to the front. Mine have been anywhere from dull to incredibly sharp spikes of pain into my knee.

I've had them in the past from a mix of cycling, hiking and hockey. I noticed they always happened at the beginning of a season after a period of inactivity. Usually my first 50 mile ride of the season, or a 15 mile hike right off the bat. Rather than working up to it, I tend to jump right back in where I left off. Then the knee pain would start.

Mine seemed to take forever to get rid of. I was foam rolling which hurts like crazy but seemed to work temporarily. A physical therapy friend of mine eventually told me that it was likely a weak butt. She gave me a few exercises to strengthen my glutes and surrounding muscles. In a few short weeks they were gone and haven't returned since.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/injury-prevention/10-exercises-to-treat-it-band-syndrome_125083/2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGpbxbJ6_Y

I don't understand why he has to wear such short shorts for this demonstration but good luck not laughing at yourself when you do pelvic air thrusts the first time. They also make great ways to release some gas.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 25, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What exercises? You're describing my left knee exactly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

V for Vegans posted:

So my tax return just came in and I'm looking to upgrade some of my shittiest hockey gear. Is there any opinion out there on pants? Mine are currently falling apart so I definitely need to upgrade them. How do you guys feel about girdles compared to regular pants? And do pants come with the skate lace tied around them now or is that something most people add later?

I'm also looking for new shinpads since mine seem to still leave bruises on my knees when I block shots.

if you're tiny I have a small bauer nxg girdle that still has tags

i liked my tacklas but my girdle is fine.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

xzzy posted:

I actually only saw a couple minutes of your game, when it was 7-1, and not really enough to get a feel for what was going on. I chatted Keith briefly though, sounds like you got pit against a team that showed up way overloaded.

No comments on my own game, I played like poop. Never really paid attention to the opposing goalie really, though everyone on my bench said pretty much the same thing you did. I got put on defense and wasn't really comfortable at all, it's harder to conceal my lovely skating. :angel:

I'll sure as heck take a win though.

Cool our team won somehow too. It was probably the best game we've ever played, we were like passing and setting up plays and stuff it was weird. I also got two assists on a couple stretch passes to set up breakaways. Those were my first assists in the two years of playing too, that they counted anyways

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

edit: Re Girdles vs Pants

I felt exposed in them, like they wouldn't help protect me. They fit tight and move with you and feel less like armored pants.

I get that they could be more maneuverable than pants but I've never felt restricted by hockey pants.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Chemmy posted:

edit: Re Girdles vs Pants

I felt exposed in them, like they wouldn't help protect me. They fit tight and move with you and feel less like armored pants.

I get that they could be more maneuverable than pants but I've never felt restricted by hockey pants.

I think it might actually work the other way around seeing as that in traditional pants the padding could be just kind of floating around your body inside the pants where the girdle is wrapped around your body with no place to move, if that makes sense.

I've been a girdle man for the last 3 or 4 years or so after 25 years in traditional pants and I don't think I'll ever go back. They always looked weird and uncomfortable to me until I tried on a pair and, feels good man. I've got the Bauer Supreme Total One girdle with Bauer shell. Oh and if it seems like doing and undoing too much Velcro, I've never unvelcroed the legs of mine ever and just treat them as regular pants. I rarely even remove the shell from them, only if it falls of naturally coming in and out of my bag.

My traditional style pants would always end up getting ripped in play, or caught on something loose on the bench or someshit and then a pad falls out and I tape it up and so on and so on. Now when/if they get ripped I can just get a new shell.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Verman posted:

Could be IT band issues. They can range from pretty minor to debilitating/excruciating pain that prevents you from putting any pressure on the joint. It can occur due to overuse, muscle imbalance etc. Often its a relatively dull pain that lingers for a while and I noticed it when going up stairs or pushing down on a bicycle pedal. It seemed to start on the outside of my knee and work its way to the front. Mine have been anywhere from dull to incredibly sharp spikes of pain into my knee.

I've had them in the past from a mix of cycling, hiking and hockey. I noticed they always happened at the beginning of a season after a period of inactivity. Usually my first 50 mile ride of the season, or a 15 mile hike right off the bat. Rather than working up to it, I tend to jump right back in where I left off. Then the knee pain would start.

Mine seemed to take forever to get rid of. I was foam rolling which hurts like crazy but seemed to work temporarily. A physical therapy friend of mine eventually told me that it was likely a weak butt. She gave me a few exercises to strengthen my glutes and surrounding muscles. In a few short weeks they were gone and haven't returned since.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/injury-prevention/10-exercises-to-treat-it-band-syndrome_125083/2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGpbxbJ6_Y

I don't understand why he has to wear such short shorts for this demonstration but good luck not laughing at yourself when you do pelvic air thrusts the first time. They also make great ways to release some gas.

My PT, when helping me get conditioned for this season after not skating for over a decade, kept shouting ACTIVATE YOUR GLUTES in his thick Austrian accent while staring at my rear end

On the upside the recurring knee pain I used to have is gone

bigbillystyle posted:

I think it might actually work the other way around seeing as that in traditional pants the padding could be just kind of floating around your body inside the pants where the girdle is wrapped around your body with no place to move, if that makes sense.

I've been a girdle man for the last 3 or 4 years or so after 25 years in traditional pants and I don't think I'll ever go back. They always looked weird and uncomfortable to me until I tried on a pair and, feels good man. I've got the Bauer Supreme Total One girdle with Bauer shell. Oh and if it seems like doing and undoing too much Velcro, I've never unvelcroed the legs of mine ever and just treat them as regular pants. I rarely even remove the shell from them, only if it falls of naturally coming in and out of my bag.

My traditional style pants would always end up getting ripped in play, or caught on something loose on the bench or someshit and then a pad falls out and I tape it up and so on and so on. Now when/if they get ripped I can just get a new shell.

Girdle is less protective because the shell in pants can be designed to fully overlap where in girdle they usually have to have gaps for flex. I've had a lot more puck bruises on my thighs / legs than I recall having before I switched what I wore

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All that medical advice sucks because the correct answer for all biological ills is play more hockey.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
...and drink more beer.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
And buy new gear to make you better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What the poo poo? I just pulled something out of my rear end last night and did a behind-the-back toedrag to get around a defenseman last night. I have no idea how I did that, nor have I ever practiced it. I was coming down the left boards (I'm a righty), and I kinda held up a bit to look for the centering pass. Everyone was covered and the D-man stepped up on me, and bam, behind the back drag and I'm off. Dish a backhand pass from the goal line through the slot with no one there :sigh:

That felt cool, until I had to backcheck an oddman rush the other way because of my pass that went to no one on my team.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Finally fixed my skates, my LHS punched them but missed by a bit on my left ones.

I got a bit frustrated, and used my heat gun and a bit of a dowel to expand the punch ever so slightly, and now for the first time in my life, my feet don't hurt when I lace up my skates.

I'm super duper excited for my game tonight.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What the poo poo? I just pulled something out of my rear end last night and did a behind-the-back toedrag to get around a defenseman last night. I have no idea how I did that, nor have I ever practiced it. I was coming down the left boards (I'm a righty), and I kinda held up a bit to look for the centering pass. Everyone was covered and the D-man stepped up on me, and bam, behind the back drag and I'm off. Dish a backhand pass from the goal line through the slot with no one there :sigh:

That felt cool, until I had to backcheck an oddman rush the other way because of my pass that went to no one on my team.

I accidentally toe dragged through my legs the other day. Like you I just kinda instinctively did it when I was in traffic trying to get around a defenseman.

I got a shooting pad for Christmas and I need to start using it at some point though when the weather cleans up here because despite 20+ years of playing hockey my shot has always been poo poo :(. Thankfully I've been blessed with excellent skating/stickhandling ability because my pea shooter makes me sad. It's the one thing holding me back as a defenseman. I'm like the beer league equivalent of Paul Martin or something.

johncho posted:

Finally fixed my skates, my LHS punched them but missed by a bit on my left ones.

I got a bit frustrated, and used my heat gun and a bit of a dowel to expand the punch ever so slightly, and now for the first time in my life, my feet don't hurt when I lace up my skates.

I'm super duper excited for my game tonight.

Nice. Hopefully that holds for you. Foot pain when skating is the worst.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Girdle is less protective because the shell in pants can be designed to fully overlap where in girdle they usually have to have gaps for flex. I've had a lot more puck bruises on my thighs / legs than I recall having before I switched what I wore

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I never really gave it much thought other than remembering pads like falling out of rips and taping pants back together and thinking that at least with a girdle that shouldn't be a problem for many, many years. I mean what is the difference in protection anyway like 5%? I never seem to get hit in the pants area so I'm not terribly worried about it I guess. If its not in the feet/ankles it's in the chest/head. I can't seem to block shots with anything that actually has protection on it from 1ft away or 20ft away.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I think i get hit in the inner thigh more then anywhere else painful. My old Tacklas had nothing there, my new pants are pro return and have at least a bit of protection there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got an away game this Saturday at 7:30pm.

What the gently caress, I need to move to Swindon. Apparently they get to play at regular person times. I don't give a poo poo that my arm is hosed, i'm taping it up and playing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I never understood why league's don't do Saturday night games. Oh wait, then they'd miss out on that sweet public skate revenue. Nevermind.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Several rinks here do it. Usually the shittiest leagues because the better players are out plowing everything not bolted down on Saturday night

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the rinks I skate run adult leagues on both Saturday and Sunday. Some run on Friday too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One of my winter leagues is Saturday night, game times ranging from 8:45 to 10:45.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

prom candy posted:

One of my winter leagues is Saturday night, game times ranging from 8:45 to 10:45.

I would kill for this. I am a no-life haver on the weekends anyway and I already play pickup between those hours.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Vargatron posted:

I would kill for this. I am a no-life haver on the weekends anyway and I already play pickup between those hours.

Yeah, I'd love Friday or Saturday night games.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would enjoy playing on weekends but apparently I'm one of the few on my team who thinks that way.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My rec league's games are 4 and 5:30 on Sundays, which I think is just about perfect. I know of more than one player who has been invited to play on other division teams and turned them down because the games were Saturday night.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Weekend games are fine in the winter but when its like Saturday evening and the suns out and I could be hanging out at the beach..

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Friday games are cool, because you don't have to wake up for work the next morning. However, it sucks for weekend vacations, plus it eats up a weekend night every week.

My games are on Monday and Wednesday nights. I don't mind them unless they're the 9:45, 10:15, or 10:45 time slots. Then they suck the next morning.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My league does Tuesday/Sunday (sometimes Wednesday) and that's good though the Sunday games occasionally suck because it's like a 35 min drive for me and sometimes the games are at 10.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The slots for D League are:

Thursdays at 9:00PM OR 10:15PM
Sundays between 4:45PM to 11:00PM

PS - It's always a loving 11:00PM game on Sunday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the summer season at the one rink I play at they add a co-ed league to the rotation, and a lot of the D level players play in it.

Traditionally a division's games would all be on a different night. Like D2 gets Saturday, D3 gets Sunday, co-ed had Friday and Saturday, and D1 gets some other night that I will never play on because I am garbage at hockey.

But this time around they dumped a bunch of divisions into Sunday so I know guys that skated three games this past Sunday. Didn't even take off their gear, they'd finish one game and walk to the next sheet of ice for another game.

:downs:

And of course because it's an ice rink and is therefore managed by complete idiots, this schedule was not announced before the due date for team fees. So you had to commit to the season before you even knew when you'd be playing.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I'm on both a weekday and a weekend team. The weekend team has been really hurting for players recently. Saturday night games tend to interfere with family plans for a lot of guys. Honestly I never thought it was a big deal since most games are still at 10pm. You can go to dinner/family event, and then head to the game afterwards. Friday night games are probably the best, because then you have the whole weekend still. But the minus is I'm absolutely wrecked come Saturday morning. My wife works the weekends, so I'm home alone with my 3 year old daughter who spends the entire morning attempting to wake me up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got killed last season in C with a .802 SV% and a 7.5GAA over 10 games. I registered to drop down into D league, but I got an e-mail from the league director saying that all the goalie spots had been filled by guys who are returning goalies despite the fact that I signed up first. (I'm totally cool with this, because it's very plainly written in the rules). My options are either to go back up to C, skate down in D or get a refund.

I basically told the league director I'd only play in C if the team was absolutely comfortable with my skill level and knew how I played last season. Otherwise I'll just be content to skate out in D. Ideally I want to play goalie, but I don't want to hold a team back. He's checking in to see if a team will be willing to take me, but I'm fine with either outcome. I also don't want to bump the goalie that got in on my former D league team since he did really well and enjoyed playing with them.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

D C posted:

Weekend games are fine in the winter but when its like Saturday evening and the suns out and I could be hanging out at the beach..

One of the pickup games I play in is a Sunday night skate but from June to September we change it to Thursday nights just for those reasons, nice outside, beach, BBQs, vacations, etc.

I'd be totally down for weekend games in the winter though. Too bad most of the rinks around me have youth games/tournaments, and high school stuff all winter long, all week long. The schedule is so full sometimes the men's league even gets split into two different nights to accommodate.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

I got killed last season in C with a .802 SV% and a 7.5GAA over 10 games. I registered to drop down into D league, but I got an e-mail from the league director saying that all the goalie spots had been filled by guys who are returning goalies despite the fact that I signed up first. (I'm totally cool with this, because it's very plainly written in the rules). My options are either to go back up to C, skate down in D or get a refund.

I basically told the league director I'd only play in C if the team was absolutely comfortable with my skill level and knew how I played last season. Otherwise I'll just be content to skate out in D. Ideally I want to play goalie, but I don't want to hold a team back. He's checking in to see if a team will be willing to take me, but I'm fine with either outcome. I also don't want to bump the goalie that got in on my former D league team since he did really well and enjoyed playing with them.

Anyone who gets mad over their beer league goalies' performance is a dick who is taking it too seriously. All I care about is that people are putting in a solid effort. Laziness pisses me off. But mistakes? Whatever. It's beer league hockey.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's a team in my league whose captain will yell at the team and call people out in the locker room. It's not just specifically after losses either. I have no idea why they haven't declared a mutiny yet.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We kicked our goalie off the team last year because he was so bad. I don't know where this puts us in the pantheon of assholes

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's certainly a line, for sure. If the goalie just simply can't handle the skill level, I see nothing wrong with it really.

Also this reminds me of a goalie we had for a summer league a couple of years ago. He wasn't that great, but what made it bad was he would blame everybody else for his crappy performace. He wasn't invited back. Like don't blame us because you gave up a clear shot from center ice (all of which happened).

shyduck fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 27, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bewbies posted:

We kicked our goalie off the team last year because he was so bad. I don't know where this puts us in the pantheon of assholes

It's tough. I feel like most goalies (and players quite frankly) know when they're playing over their head and will generally understand but yeah. There's a team in our league who I swear kicks off like two-three players a session hoping to pick up junior/pro ringers (beating their asses 3 years running in the playoffs has been extremely satisfying) but if your goaltending is repeatedly losing you games it's not very fun for anyone.

Our goalie who played for us the past 4 seasons actually lost us a decent amount of games but had the uncanny ability to turn it on in the playoffs so we still won the league a couple of times /shrug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I get it that teams want to win games and it's no fun going 0-10 in a season, but unfortunately that's what happened when I played in C. The guys on the team were really gracious about it and I was the one that came to them about dropping down. I hate losing too, but I also know that there were a lot of games that I basically gave away.

I've only been playing for like 2 years maybe and I go to stick time and pickup every Saturday and throughout the week trying to get better. Thankfully I got an ex-college player who agreed to coach me and that's really helped out a lot. Dropping back down to D is a good idea all around, but I'm not bumping the goalie who agreed to fill in for me when I went up to C.

The only gripe I have was that the most vocal guys bitching about my performance NEVER came out to practice. I even tried setting up times when we all could come out and work on breakouts and cycling plays. Not to mention the fact that I routinely faced 40 shots a game. Doesn't change that I'm not a good goalie yet, but it's a team sport too.

Either way, I'm fine with skating out until another goalie spot opens. Hockey is fun, win or lose for me.