Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

skasion posted:

Does anyone remember a GBS thread a couple of years ago where people found a really bad artist's New Yorker cartoons and were posting edits of them? The twist is that the artist found out and threatened to sue Lowtax or whatever. I'm sure I could find the thread if I remembered her name but I can't.

And an article about it somewhere talked about the wisdom of getting into a poo poo throwing contest with a bunch of flying monkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Was she the one with "men back then" and "men today" and no one could figure out what the cartoon was saying? Like. Drinking a beer vs drinking out of a bottle or something stupid like that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trevor Hale posted:

Was she the one with "men back then" and "men today" and no one could figure out what the cartoon was saying? Like. Drinking a beer vs drinking out of a bottle or something stupid like that.

This is the thread, but most of the images are lost to the Great Waffleimages Disaster of whenever that happened (probably a saga in its own right).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't the goon that was maintaining waffle images get banned or something?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't the goon that was maintaining waffle images get banned or something?

No, that was Imageshack. The full crazy story is in SAclopedia.

Waffle was created to take over from that mess, and ended because it was impossible to maintain.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

No, that was Imageshack. The full crazy story is in SAclopedia.

Waffle was created to take over from that mess, and ended because it was impossible to maintain.

why? just lack of money to maintain it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Scudworth posted:

The full crazy story is in SAclopedia.

Mam I wish the Awful app had SAclopedia support. Can you Copy-Paste the best stuff?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

why? just lack of money to maintain it?

I think it was supposed to meet the enormous bandwidth and storage needs of an image host by making a distributed network supported by many volunteer goons mirroring images on their own webspace. This went about as well as you would expect a massive goon volunteer project to go.

SAclopedia:

kalleboo posted:

Waffle images is a goon project buy the kindly folks of SH/SC. It was started after the image­sh­ack fiasco, when we realized that relying on a single external point of failure was a Bad Idea.

Waffleimages is an imagehosting service. The bandwidth is provided by goons who have large amounts of free bandwidth (think dedicated 10-megabit lines). When you upload an image, it's distributed to two mirrors (in case one mirror goes down, or gets overwhelmed). Then, when the image is linked on the forums, the requests are evenly split between the mirrors.

AlienBanshee posted:

As of late June 2009, WaffleImages has stopped accepting images for upload. Apparently, the majority of its mirrors are down and the rest are over capacity as it is. These facts coupled with the loss of their largest mirror (Kalleboo), means that WaffleImages can barely continue to support the images it already has, much less add new ones. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Dirk Muscleton posted:

What separates WaffleImages from inferior single external points of failures such as kth.cx and image­sh­ack is that it is a single Goon Run point of failure.

If a thread is taking a long time to load, chances are a WaffleImages mirror has poo poo itself again. If you're browsing the archives and notice a relatively recent Photoshop thread is full of blank posts, typically a defunct WaffleImages mirror is to blame.

EasyEW posted:

The long(er) version: it was announced on March 4, 2011 that WaffleImages would no longer be accepting further uploads. The final shutdown was mainly due to a lack of reliable mirrors, since out of the 60 or so which were available at one time or another, only 4 were reliably reachable by the time the decision was made. In addition, many pics simply vanished due to mirrors permanently disappearing from the system without warning, thus not allowing for image migration to another host system.

Although Waffle is closed for uploading, arrangements are being made for an archival mirror which will (hopefully) keep what's left in place for a while longer. R1CH's endtime stats: "3 million images, somewhere! Over 8 billion hits! 1.2 petabytes of data transferred!"

iirc the sa support forum was always filled with complaints about waffleimages, and mods trying to explain how waffleimages was not actually part of sa

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Apr 23, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
In the Waffleimages thread you can read it all going downhill in real time, it's very sad. It ends with attempts to seed a 157gb torrent to save the files.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692674&userid=27743

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mam I wish the Awful app had SAclopedia support. Can you Copy-Paste the best stuff?

Nope! Use your comp :hchatter:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is the thread, but most of the images are lost to the Great Waffleimages Disaster of whenever that happened (probably a saga in its own right).

First post on the next page...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I believe Donna Barstow's claims have led to at least one thread where her pictures would be shared under her own interpretation of fair use - accompanied by at least five sentences of original critique, i.e. people throwing paragraphs of profanity at D. B.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
lol i thought that you were talking about donna barr

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Hogge Wild posted:

lol i thought that you were talking about donna barr

same omg

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

tbh why werent we talking about her in the first place

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

tbh why werent we talking about her in the first place

i don't think that she has goon history

except that some goons like her gay nazi centaurs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

quote:

What separates WaffleImages from inferior single external points of failures such as kth.cx and image­sh­ack is that it is a single Goon Run point of failure.

lmao

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, beef jerky guy may or may not have been selling store products (most likely not), but personal budget guy embezzled and resume guy was using a pirated copy of Word (I used resume guy). Any other major SA-Mart failures?

Don't tell me the nootropics guy is a phony because I've got a -tam bottle on my shelf right now. Been awhile since I've taken any though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't tell me the nootropics guy is a phony because I've got a -tam bottle on my shelf right now. Been awhile since I've taken any though.

I assume he just bulk ordered poo poo from China like every other Internet drug dealer, but if you've already taken some and didn't die you're probably good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

So, beef jerky guy may or may not have been selling store products (most likely not), but personal budget guy embezzled and resume guy was using a pirated copy of Word (I used resume guy). Any other major SA-Mart failures?

The swole-goon guy iirc was basically running a personal trainer equivalent of a Ponzi Scheme, where the longer he stayed in business, the higher his prices got, and the less service he would actually provide, regardless of what any contracts signed said.

I don't remember which but one of those three at least weren't the original guys and just bought the brand name from the previous seller and banked on that person's success to sell their crappier service to goons, including using testimonials from the original service's customers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

At work right now, but there have been plenty of goons falling for those "weekly gift box" things. Those are typically pretty funny reads.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Solice Kirsk posted:

At work right now, but there have been plenty of goons falling for those "weekly gift box" things. Those are typically pretty funny reads.

I remember one where goons went from poo poo-talking those kinds of things, to excitedly signing up for one, to rage at getting poo poo in their mystery boxes, within like ten pages.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Choco1980 posted:

The swole-goon guy iirc was basically running a personal trainer equivalent of a Ponzi Scheme, where the longer he stayed in business, the higher his prices got, and the less service he would actually provide, regardless of what any contracts signed said.

I don't remember which but one of those three at least weren't the original guys and just bought the brand name from the previous seller and banked on that person's success to sell their crappier service to goons, including using testimonials from the original service's customers.

The resume guy was the one who sold the name IIRC

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

VanSandman posted:

I remember one where goons went from poo poo-talking those kinds of things, to excitedly signing up for one, to rage at getting poo poo in their mystery boxes, within like ten pages.

The best part is how they always justified their lovely choices by saying, "I'm sorry I'm not a poorgoon and I have plenty of money to spend on my hobbies."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bobcat in a box's first testimonial was somebody receiving a printed version of the first GIS result for "steam locomotive schematics" and defending it because he thought trains were cool

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What beef jerky goon? Big John's is legit and delicious.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

thecluckmeme posted:

Bobcat in a box's first testimonial was somebody receiving a printed version of the first GIS result for "steam locomotive schematics" and defending it because he thought trains were cool

Also the box image was black and white while the GIS result was colored.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686051&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=199

bobcat in a box thing starts here with a benign Lootcrate discussion

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It might have predated SA-Mart, but the Fiesta Cat saga led to dozens of goons paying money for a plush version of an forums-only meme and then getting promptly ripped off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MD2020 posted:

It might have predated SA-Mart, but the Fiesta Cat saga led to dozens of goons paying money for a plush version of an forums-only meme and then getting promptly ripped off.
Weren't the things eventually produced? I remember a photo of some shelves full of FiestaPlushies that the guy couldn't sell anymore because he had been permabanned.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

FilthyImp posted:

Weren't the things eventually produced? I remember a photo of some shelves full of FiestaPlushies that the guy couldn't sell anymore because he had been permabanned.

This thread. Page 5.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I have bad news, Limitless was fictional and nootropics are bullshit

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
isn't nootropics what alex jones shills or am I getting poo poo mixed up

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have bad news, Limitless was fictional and nootropics are bullshit

Well, there are a few of debatable usage but the ones that work aren't what people generally think of as nootropics. A lot of those blends contain 5-HTP and Adrafinil, the first of which is a debatable light mood altering and focus producing drug the second of which is a pretty powerful amphetamine alternative. Piracetam doesn't actually have any verified nootropic effects outside of being a minor stimulant, and so yes, in people with no stimulant resistance or people who's only stimulant exposure is years of caffeine, taking a piracetam will have some "productivity" increasing effects, but not because it's a magic thinking drug, but more because it's a stimulant that's been repacked to be marketed to nerds.

There's a grip of others that are interesting but have little research behind them. 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone is the big one but you should always be skeptical of a thing that's being pushed as a miracle drug based on fairly small evidence pools.

Either way most of these smarty pants drugs are basically stimulants or antidepressants being sold to nerdy shut ins who probably suffer from ADHD or Depression which these supplements are poorly treating or at least removing some symptoms of. And it's much easier to think to yourself "I'm a smart rear end smart dude hacker who takes secret smart pills to get the edge I need" than to say "Oh poo poo I actually have depression or a major attention disorder that's greatly effecting my ability to be a functioning human and I should get help".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I buy 5-HTP on Amazon for like $10 for a month's supply, I dunno about hacking my brain or whatever but it definitely makes me slightly less sadbrains depressed so :shrug:

But yeah Modafinil and the like are essentially what the dude above me described AKA baby Adderall for hipster nerds

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A part of me wants to get into the herbal supplement market. I think selling tablets filled with saw dust as a "stool hardener" would be a good way to make some money. gently caress, maybe I'll put "can reduce chances of getting bowel cancer up to 60%" on the label.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

isn't nootropics what alex jones shills or am I getting poo poo mixed up

Alex Jones will sell literally anything

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There definitely are certain things you can take that have a large amount of research supporting them - a great example is Theanine, which synergizes really well with caffeine. I absolutely feel less jittery and more focused when I take one of those in the morning before I get to work and start chugging coffee.

Herbal supplements are the real goof. Doesn't Kava Kava destroy your liver?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

A part of me wants to get into the herbal supplement market. I think selling tablets filled with saw dust as a "stool hardener" would be a good way to make some money. gently caress, maybe I'll put "can reduce chances of getting bowel cancer up to 60%" on the label.

Someone should step up to compete against Soylent. Same product only with less rat poo and more delicious MSG for flavor

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kelp Me! posted:

I buy 5-HTP on Amazon for like $10 for a month's supply, I dunno about hacking my brain or whatever but it definitely makes me slightly less sadbrains depressed so :shrug:

But yeah Modafinil and the like are essentially what the dude above me described AKA baby Adderall for hipster nerds

Modafinil sounds really cool, like, a drug that keeps you awake without raising your heart rate, but I think I have the gene that makes it not work at all(this exists) because it doesn't do poo poo for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Modafinil sounds really cool, like, a drug that keeps you awake without raising your heart rate, but I think I have the gene that makes it not work at all(this exists) because it doesn't do poo poo for me.

Seriously give theanine a shot if that's the case. It's not one of those "you have to take this for 5 weeks before you start noticing an effect," you can take it on-demand and it makes caffeine a wonderdrug.

e: it's also like $.07/pill https://www.amazon.com/L-Theanine-200mg-Natures-Trove-Vegetarian/dp/B01D1YQBOK/ plus if you hate coffee you can just get theanine/caffeine capsules instead

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Apr 25, 2017