Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

make your own loving sandwich

What if I don't want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I want a vaporwave mexico wall

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

We Gotta Talk About Michael Barbaro, The Host Of The NYT's Daily Podcast is no Can We Talk About How Woke Matt McGorry Was In 2015? but it's close

edit: on second thought, I've reread both of these and decided that it is a pale shadow of woke matt mcgorry post but it's still pretty good

an actual dog has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Apr 24, 2017

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The New Yorker has a good stash of pure, uncut #woke #brand for you dirty junkies to shoot straight into the vein.

mrmcd has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Apr 24, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

mrmcd posted:

The New Yorker has a good stash of pure, uncut #woke #brand for you dirty junkies to shoot straight into the vein.

Yes!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

“You know, it’s not thug life—it’s van life!”

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Each year, Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work Foundation partners with Olive Garden to encourage young people and their families to participate in Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work Day! This year, Olive Garden has a message for you!

“Olive Garden restaurants across the U.S. are excited to partner with The Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work® Foundation so parents and their kids can make the most of their day spent together. Olive Garden invites parents to participate in Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work® Day on April 27 and come to Olive Garden to celebrate a successful and fun day at work.“

https://daughtersandsonstowork.org/

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
“You could buy these vans ten years ago for pennies on the dollar,” Harley Sitner, the owner of Peace Vans, a Volkswagen-van repair and rental shop in Seattle, told me. Sitner, who is forty-nine, said that his generation’s adventurous rite of passage was more along the lines of “backpacking through Southeast Asia, eating mushrooms on a beach in Thailand.” Around five years ago, he began to notice that young people were increasingly interested in old VW vans. “It’s men in their thirties with huge beards, and they’re pretty much all stay-at-home dads,” he said. “Their wives work office jobs and they work on the vans so the family can go out and vanlife on the weekend.”

lol

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

We Gotta Talk About Michael Barbaro, The Host Of The NYT's Daily Podcast is no Can We Talk About How Woke Matt McGorry Was In 2015? but it's close

edit: on second thought, I've reread both of these and decided that it is a pale shadow of woke matt mcgorry post but it's still pretty good

Both of those are unreadable

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

In August, 2015, King quit her Web-development job. The following spring, Where’s My Office Now posted its first paid, sponsored image to Instagram, on behalf of the water-bottle company Hydro Flask. It showed King heating water in a teakettle, a light-blue thermos conspicuous in the background. “Our bodies, the most precious vehicle for our journey here, run on water,” she wrote in the caption. “A big thank you to @hydroflask for creating durable water bottles that help shift the bottled/privatization of water paradigm.”

you were not loving kidding

quote:

GoWesty had loaned the couple a van so that they could get back on the road while Boscha was being fixed. They had spent the previous four months holed up at their parents’ homes in New England, as King recovered from an intestinal parasite she’d picked up on a backpacking trip in Montana. It was the longest the couple had stayed in one place—and not slept in a van—in four years, and the time off the road presented a problem. Where’s My Office Now has nearly a hundred and forty thousand Instagram followers and a dozen corporate sponsors; maintaining that kind of audience requires constant tending. King, who is largely responsible for the project’s social-media presence, had done her best to post images from older travels, but the archive was getting thin.

quote:

We didn’t pull out of the GoWesty parking lot until almost two the following afternoon, three hours behind schedule. A surfing app on Smith’s phone indicated that a promising swell was approaching Southern California, so he headed south on the 101...

King was fretful about the delay; sponsors were clamoring for posts. “We really need to create content,” she said. “And that’s hard to do in this concrete jungle.”

quote:

But, for all its twee escapism, vanlife is a trend born out of the recent recession. “We heard all these promises about what will happen after you go to college and get a degree,” Smith said. “We graduated at a time when all that turned out to be a bunch of bullshit.” The generation that’s fuelling the trend has significantly more student debt and lower rates of homeownership than previous cohorts. The rise of contract and temporary labor has further eroded young people’s financial stability.

“I think there’s a sense of hopelessness in my generation, in terms of jobs,” Foster Huntington said. “And it’s cheap to live in a van.” And so, like staycations and minimalism, vanlife is an attempt to aestheticize and romanticize the precariousness of contemporary life. “It looks like they’re having fun,” Huntington said, of King and Smith. “But they’re working a lot.”

Laphroaig has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Apr 24, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Both of those are unreadable

clearly you're not woke enough to appreciate genius

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/855819496753442817

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

fake news. I clearly answered correctly:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

har har, what a witty quip

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Laphroaig posted:

fake news. I clearly answered correctly:

Doesn't it cost like 100 million, or was that figure the amortized development cost of a bomb we've used once?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Doesn't it cost like 100 million, or was that figure the amortized development cost of a bomb we've used once?

the latter

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

mrmcd posted:

One of the episodes of High Maintenance on HBO included a person who basically spent all their time perfecting their social media profile, and showed how hollow and lonely of a life it really is just by showing all the time it takes to pose and get one of those photos right

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

One of the episodes of High Maintenance on HBO included a person who basically spent all their time perfecting their social media profile, and showed how hollow and lonely of a life it really is just by showing all the time it takes to pose and get one of those photos right

King positioned Penny at her feet, but the dog kept moving, distracted by grebes bobbing on the waves. Smith grew frustrated by the strong contrast between the dim van interior and the bright ocean beyond. King attempted to placate him. “Corey, this is O.K., this is O.K., this is fun,” she said.

The post, when it went up, looked cozy and relaxed. King added a long caption, about how living in the van had made her reconsider what “work” actually means. “I no longer define work by money, instead seeing it as our focused action collectively creating our world,” she wrote. “Currently my work is storytelling and aligning with companies supporting our lifestyle and Earth.”

kill us all, trump, we deserve to die

Laphroaig has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Apr 24, 2017

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Laphroaig posted:

In August, 2015, King quit her Web-development job. The following spring, Where’s My Office Now posted its first paid, sponsored image to Instagram, on behalf of the water-bottle company Hydro Flask. It showed King heating water in a teakettle, a light-blue thermos conspicuous in the background. “Our bodies, the most precious vehicle for our journey here, run on water,” she wrote in the caption. “A big thank you to @hydroflask for creating durable water bottles that help shift the bottled/privatization of water paradigm.”

you were not loving kidding

It is time to take the vanlife brand to the next motherfucking level

Life®

Laphroaig posted:

King positioned Penny at her feet, but the dog kept moving, distracted by grebes bobbing on the waves. Smith grew frustrated by the strong contrast between the dim van interior and the bright ocean beyond. King attempted to placate him. “Corey, this is O.K., this is O.K., this is fun,” she said.

The post, when it went up, looked cozy and relaxed. King added a long caption, about how living in the van had made her reconsider what “work” actually means. “I no longer define work by money, instead seeing it as our focused action collectively creating our world,” she wrote. “Currently my work is storytelling and aligning with companies supporting our lifestyle and Earth.”

kill us all, trump, we deserve to die

:stare:

yeah we gotta go

A Handed Missus has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Apr 24, 2017

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Axe: now so woke they have #WokeBae Matt McGorry shilling for them. http://fusion.net/i-went-to-see-matt-mcgorry-talk-about-toxic-masculinity-1794533577

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Restaurants are bullshit. Just do a big meal prep on Sundays. Make 21 perfectly proportioned containers of chicken, brown rice, and broccoli, and boom, you're set for the week.

do you have to eat last sunday's for dinner or do you have to save that one for monday morning

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Troy Queef posted:

Axe: now so woke they have #WokeBae Matt McGorry shilling for them. http://fusion.net/i-went-to-see-matt-mcgorry-talk-about-toxic-masculinity-1794533577

guys I have some bad news: we're all racist

quote:

When someone asked about his status as a “woke bae,” he informed everyone that white people shouldn’t call each other “woke” because it’s appropriation, and then paused.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeris posted:

do you have to eat last sunday's for dinner or do you have to save that one for monday morning

Usually I stick to the meal plan for Monday, Tuesday, sometimes even into Thursday if I'm super dedicated, and then give up and just eat Chipotle every day

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

guys I have some bad news: we're all racist

I'm from Georgia, this was assumed already.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/856625626425569280
https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/856627032607924224

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Laphroaig posted:

“Currently my work is storytelling and aligning with companies supporting our lifestyle and Earth.”

Well, I finally figured out my chest tattoo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Minge Binge posted:

Well, I finally figured out my chest tattoo

Also headstone

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
When will sponsored gravestones become the norm anyway? That's prime real estate
"feeling morbid? Try Sean's skydiving school!"
"Missing your friend? Moe's bar has a 20% discount on 6-packs!"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Oh, btw, the vanstagram is hilarious.

quote:

The groove of 9-5 was no life for me, a deadening paradox of overstimulation and stagnation.

After college, I thought to use my business degree wisely. I thought to achieve. I thought to succeed. I thought to build an honorable resume. Reef. Sotheby’s. The New York Times. But these thoughts were never really mine, just some learned condition. As if name recognition would validate each inhalation.

And so I worked hard to shift my position, flinging myself into the unknown, on the road with my partner and a vision.

Vanlife opens space to remember that I am a creator. Every moment my canvas, I am always free to be my hero and not fall victim to a forgetful way of living. My only regret is not leaping sooner.

What about you? Are you taking a major leap? Have you before? How did it turn out?

Post supported by @kettlebrand #kettlebrand #ambsdr. 🙏☀️️

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSMdwJzlKK1/

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
There I was, being bored and wealthy, when I realized I could mindlessly pontificate about vague spirituality in front of sunsets for a living. Clearly this was a huge risk that just anyone could take, like comment and subscribe

FisheyStix has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Apr 25, 2017

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

got any sevens posted:

When will sponsored gravestones become the norm anyway? That's prime real estate
"feeling morbid? Try Sean's skydiving school!"
"Missing your friend? Moe's bar has a 20% discount on 6-packs!"

Happened back in the 2002

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2002/mar/15/games.advertising

Comedy answer: Bob Kane already turned his grave into an ad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sure, let's talk about Michael Barbaro. i'll start: he saw a homeless guy in a NYC subway station and tweeted to the MTA that the situation there is "unacceptable"

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Agnosticnixie posted:

The wokeness of the wall will make the Great Basin fertile again

Lower Sonoran Desert actually. A bit less barren, but unless you wanna eat nothing but nopales, saguaro fruit and cholla buds, with some mesquite beans, it ain't gonna be breadbasket of poo poo.

Especially since the Santa Cruz don't run no more.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/854801786292621314

watch two jewish guys tell you about cultural appropriation
lol there's one good joke at the end where moshe asks "are we okay to do this" and mc serch says "I produced illmatic, i'm good"
which is apparently true!

He "produced" it he didnt actually produce the songs and Illmatic is overrated anyway.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
*dons crip walkin' from da crib onsie*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/deray/status/856909750021177345

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Carmant posted:

He "produced" it he didnt actually produce the songs and Illmatic is overrated anyway.

Wait so this guy didn't actually do anything but still got a cut? Wow, that's insanely white

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Wait so this guy didn't actually do anything but still got a cut? Wow, that's insanely white

He probably set up the LLC or whatever to make sure Nas got the least hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

willingly tweeting ads for #brands for no money on a constant basis is even worse