Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Horace-Noah posted:

Man, I'd love to see some pictures of those.

I've got some photos from old Oath threads, but I've been meaning to put the whole (painted portion of the) army together for a group photoshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Leperflesh posted:

I've got some photos from old Oath threads, but I've been meaning to put the whole (painted portion of the) army together for a group photoshoot.

That would rule and, you should do it.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I am disappointed that we didn't see a reveal for GHB2 this weekend but a new edition of 40k that basically turns it into AOS is great news :toot:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I dug out my old Ogre army.

Holy hell Ogres are fun in AoS. Ironguts are obscenely strong.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

You guys got any Jezzail kitbash recs that aren't veermin?

Here's what I did. They're just Clanrats with Kroot Rifles and plasticard pavices.

They're not amazing, and they were a ton of work, namely the carving/sanding off the molded left arms. I also had to cut and repose the head, and gapfill the kroot arms a ton.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Floppychop posted:

Here's what I did. They're just Clanrats with Kroot Rifles and plasticard pavices.

They're not amazing, and they were a ton of work, namely the carving/sanding off the molded left arms. I also had to cut and repose the head, and gapfill the kroot arms a ton.

These look pretty good, nice work. The only thing that bothers me is the kroot hands, but I don't think there's much to do there except just scupt the drat thing on your own :(

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For ease of my sanity I just say that the hands are "mutations" to allow for better shooting.

Most people that have looked at them don't recognize the Kroot rifles or hands. So I guess at normal viewing distance they end up looking like generic animal hands.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have a hunch that GHB 2 is going to follow the 40k path and introduce granular points and a competitive game type beyond matched play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Horace-Noah posted:

That would rule and, you should do it.

Here's a collection of Tomb King photos taken for Oath threads, 2011-2015.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/slyhatjones/V6925z

Please don't doxx me.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

TKIY posted:

I have a hunch that GHB 2 is going to follow the 40k path and introduce granular points and a competitive game type beyond matched play.

I loving hope so and I hope it is some sort of Kill Team type mode.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What are the glaive wielding Sobek/Horus guys called and what are they made out of?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Please don't doxx me.

these are some really cool and good death rattlers and funeral shroudees :kiddo:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

What are the glaive wielding Sobek/Horus guys called and what are they made out of?

Ushabti. Used to be metal, now are Finecast.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Ushabti. Used to be metal, now are Finecast.

$100 a box on eBay :sweatdrop:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

New in box that's a good price. They were 120 for a while.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

the older metal singles are 25 a pop. still pricey, but not as bad, and not finecast

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Leperflesh posted:

Please don't doxx me.

Ah dude, those are such good lil skellies.
What's the last floating one?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My ushabti are all metal, although I think I have a box of the guys with bows in finecast. Got them all as part of a full-army purhcase from an embittered 7th edition Tomb Kings player, not long after 8th edition came out. I paid $70 for an entire army.

The last floating guy is a Reaper Bones model:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/egypt/latest/77147

Search reapermini.com for "egypt" or "nefsokar" to see all their Not-Tomb-Kings models. A lot of them are really good, and if you don't like Bones, they're most all available in metal too.

The swarms are also mostly Reaper I think.

e. Oh yeah, the dude at the altar, I lost one of his arms and had to kind of sculpt drapes onto a replacement arm. I found the real arm later so eventually I might fix him since his replacement arm drapes are kind of crap.

The giant is my most heavy conversion I've done, because the bone giant is so goofy by default. I think it came out OK.

I have a unit of tomb guard I finished painting last year, I've finished a lot of the incomplete bases you see in the photos, I've got four chariots painted up, and I probably have one or two other things that I didn't paint for an oath.

The necrosphinx is magnetized. You can take off the wings and stick the howdah on, and replace the torso and head with the head with cowl. I never painted the howdah or the head with cowl, though. The tomb king has a peg on his foot and comes off his base, so he can ride in the howdah, or you can put the four normal dudes in the howdah, also with pegs. The pegs don't work too well, so I intended to switch to magnets. Also the wings' magnet never quite lined up right, so there's a small gap when you stick them to the body that always bugs me.

These guys all have magnetized bases so they can stick nicely to metal movement trays (I get them from Shogun, here in California). All my movement trays are the wrong size for Kings of War, so my next project is new movement trays that will let me play KoW.

I also still have tons and tons of tomb kings stuff to paint. A dozen more chariots, probably 40 guys on horseback, probably another 50 assembled skeletons (some badly painted by the former owner) and probably another 100+ unassembled skeletons, another two boxes of plastic tomb guard, another 20 or so metal tomb guard, two more liche priests, another bone giant, two scorpions, three giant snake dudes that I finished magnetising so they could be either model type but never got around to basing or painting, it goes on and on and on. AoS totally killed my enthusiasm for the army but KoW has made me want to get them out again.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 25, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Got them all as part of a full-army purhcase from an embittered 7th edition Tomb Kings player, not long after 8th edition came out. I paid $70 for an entire army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

that guy must be kicking himself, considering the gouging that went on after tomb kings got dusted

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was at a swap meet, he was piecing them out so I bought like three chariots or something for what he was asking. Maybe $15. Then after the meet, I see him loading stuff in his car so I go over and say "look I know this is massively lowballing, I don't think it's a fair price, but it's what I can afford: how about $70 for everything?" and he didn't hesitate. Dude was just horribly demoralized and wanted out.

So I think honestly I paid more like $100 for everything? But if you discount 3 chariots it was $70. Maybe someone else at the meet bought one or two items, I don't know.

He probably got a lot of his stuff second-hand too. Almost none was painted, but he'd assembled a lot of cavalry - obviously had been playing 7th edition with a cav-heavy list, which was exactly crap in 8th.

I figure at the time I got probably $500+ retail worth of minis, and today it'd be worth three or more times that if I sold it all off piecemeal.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So, two friends of mine are getting back into Age of Sigmar as something to do on weekends and once summer comes around I'll have some free time so I figure I'll join in. They're going for Stormcast Eternals and Chaos as they're basically planning to buy the bigass box set and build out from there.

Because I'm a fluff nerd I'm intrigued by the Flesh Eater Courts, I figure I'll go full-tilt on the whole delusional monarch thing and build an army of shambling undead Brettonians, seeking the Grail in between smashing in the skulls of their enemies to feast upon the gooey brains within. Thing is I don't actually know anything about Flesh Eater Courts, the Death alliance, or really the game in general at this point. I've been told the Start Collecting box is about the most cost-effective way to start with basically any faction, but is there any consensus as to how to build a decent Flesh Eaters army beyond that?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So, two friends of mine are getting back into Age of Sigmar as something to do on weekends and once summer comes around I'll have some free time so I figure I'll join in. They're going for Stormcast Eternals and Chaos as they're basically planning to buy the bigass box set and build out from there.

Because I'm a fluff nerd I'm intrigued by the Flesh Eater Courts, I figure I'll go full-tilt on the whole delusional monarch thing and build an army of shambling undead Brettonians, seeking the Grail in between smashing in the skulls of their enemies to feast upon the gooey brains within. Thing is I don't actually know anything about Flesh Eater Courts, the Death alliance, or really the game in general at this point. I've been told the Start Collecting box is about the most cost-effective way to start with basically any faction, but is there any consensus as to how to build a decent Flesh Eaters army beyond that?

Ghoul King generals and your Courtier heroes are the lynchpin of a Flesh Eater's army, even more-so than Vamps were back in Fantasy. Your troops will crumble fast without a hero nearby to buff and support them. Best way to take a Ghoul King is on a mount, as sticking one on a Zombie Dragon or a Terrorgeist improves both units immensely. I prefer the Zombie Dragon mount, as it gives your King a bubble of re-rolls and lets you summon Courtiers (which in turn summon more units).

Courtiers are cheap beatstick heroes with extra summoning abilities. You'll want at least one Vargulf as they blend most things in combat and can summon any infantry option Flesh Eaters can take. Haunters are best after that, as they're proper killy and can summon your best infantry. Ghasts are pitiful, but cheap and they summon more Ghouls to keep enemy units locked in place for cheap. Infernals are meh, just like their corresponding unit.

Crypt Horrors are the boyos and you want as many of them as you can handle alongside some Ghouls as tar-pits. Flayers aren't particularly good, but they can lend your army some maneuverability.

As said before, put the points into sticking a Ghoul King on top of a Terrorgeist or Dragon, they're incredibly better with him there. Terrorgeists less so, but they're practically required for Dragons.

The SC box is really good for Flesh Eaters, but you'll want to get two if you can. It'll give you enough stuff for around 1500pts, which is the sweet-spot for AoS I find.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'd be interested in info on that too. I've built 1000 points so far and played 6 games. My list is the start collecting set., twenty extra ghouls and a Varghulf.
It's been fun. A unit of twenty ghouls rolls a ridiculous amount of attacks and the whole force is reasonably resilient with the Dark Minion and Ruler of the Night abilities. The king on terrorgheist is a total beast and its shriek mulches low Moral troops.

I haven't played into a shooty force and fear it would be vulnerable.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Leperflesh posted:

I was at a swap meet, he was piecing them out so I bought like three chariots or something for what he was asking. Maybe $15. Then after the meet, I see him loading stuff in his car so I go over and say "look I know this is massively lowballing, I don't think it's a fair price, but it's what I can afford: how about $70 for everything?" and he didn't hesitate. Dude was just horribly demoralized and wanted out.

So I think honestly I paid more like $100 for everything? But if you discount 3 chariots it was $70. Maybe someone else at the meet bought one or two items, I don't know.

He probably got a lot of his stuff second-hand too. Almost none was painted, but he'd assembled a lot of cavalry - obviously had been playing 7th edition with a cav-heavy list, which was exactly crap in 8th.

I figure at the time I got probably $500+ retail worth of minis, and today it'd be worth three or more times that if I sold it all off piecemeal.

That guy wasn't wrong about wanted to get rid of his tomb kings when 8th hit, they were hot garbage aside from the Khalida archer army

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Awesome, so as with the Undead armies of old, it's all about having a core of really awesome heroes (Grail Knights) backed up by horrors (Questing Knights) and with regenerating hordes of ghouls (Brave peasant companions) to tie people down? I can work with that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Episode 163 of Garagehammer does a decent, flavorful overview of the Flesh Eater Courts book. I suppose it could be either a pitch for buying the book, or give you all the information you need without buying it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How exactly do the factions work now? I really like the Grand Alliance Death stuff (and all 3 of the starter boxes feature some pretty rad central models).

Would I be able to field all 3 starter boxes from Death if I supplemented it with a few additional battle line units? Or do I just have to pick one?

(I don't plan on playing competitively. I just like the models and miss playing Vampire Counts.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Your army can be made of one of four Big factions. Grand Alliance Death, Destruction, Chaos, or Order. Within each faction, there are keyworded subgroups that usually have special rules if your army exclusively uses models with that keyword, ie Flesh Eater Courts within Death. So like you can make a death army with a bunch of flesheater court guys, ghosts, and vampires, but then you can't use the Flesheater Court rules unless you boot the ghosts and vampires.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To expand a bit. Armies have allegiances which give them bonuses. If you have a death army you would use the death allegiance. But if your death army consists entirely of units with the flesh eater courts keyword they can instead use the Flesh Eater Court allegiance. Which gives a different set of bonuses

A quick note that no matter your composition summoned units don't count. So if wanted to summon some Skeletons and you are playing flesh eaters it, it won't break your allegiance.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
And aren't Flesh Eaters the only subfaction that's been expanded since AoS hit? So the options are either Flesh Eater Courts or generic Death?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MCPeePants posted:

And aren't Flesh Eaters the only subfaction that's been expanded since AoS hit? So the options are either Flesh Eater Courts or generic Death?

Yeah so far Flesh Eaters are the only one for death.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MCPeePants posted:

As I noted above, I'm pretty new to AoS and haven't really familiarised myself with the full rules yet, but having read through their book I'm not actually sure there's anything in the Flesh Eater Courts list that requires you to field an army of all Flesh-Eaters. I mean their units/heroes are all built to key off of each others abilities so it's a good idea to go all in on them, but I don't think there's anything you actually lose out on by including other death units.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Flesh-Eaters got updated before the General's Handbook and the newer design ethos behind Age of Sigmar started, so they don't have bonuses for running pure Flesh-Eater armies at the moment. You've nothing really to lose by chucking in a Mortis Engine or a Necromancer (or Nagash if you want to lose all your friends).

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

As I noted above, I'm pretty new to AoS and haven't really familiarised myself with the full rules yet, but having read through their book I'm not actually sure there's anything in the Flesh Eater Courts list that requires you to field an army of all Flesh-Eaters. I mean their units/heroes are all built to key off of each others abilities so it's a good idea to go all in on them, but I don't think there's anything you actually lose out on by including other death units.

What you'd expect to happen is a new Flesh-Eater book to come out with a bunch of incentives to play them exclusively. You are correct that those incentives don't currently exist. They've been systematically adding them to all of the factions, however. (Khorne most recently got them.) They tend to include: exclusive magic items, spells, etc.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So I dug out my old Ogre army.

Holy hell Ogres are fun in AoS. Ironguts are obscenely strong.

I got my poo poo wrecked in a 1000pt AOS tournament on the weekend by ogres. I was playing a Khorne Brass Stampede (skullcrushers and daemon dogs), and ogres got the jump on me and gave me a proper whooping! Only army that did any real damage to me, let alone tabling me in turn 4.

That rerolling wounds on a 10+ on a charge is nasty as all get out.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm coverting some Liberators and Khorne morals into Chaos Warriors since I like their helms and shields but not their meeple bodies. Sigmarines I'm good with, but I'm concerned with how to make the Khorne guys more distinctly Chaos Warriors and not Bloodsecutioners or whatever.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
So two years ago I was gifted the AoS starter kit right when it came out. I never played a war game or painted minis so was pretty psyched. I ran out and got a random paint set and painted up the stormcast, first things I ever painted, and got an army of these

After two years of trying to learn to paint I got sick of these ugly abominations mocking me. Last week I started rehabilitating them, stripped some but just added on to others and am really pleased with the progress

I am under no illusions that I am a great painter, but seeing the evolution so starkly is really cool. I feel like I could take these to a game without being embarrassed.

I actually like the stormcasts now as models, especially the retributors.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Those are fine paint jobs and you should be proud of them

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Great job rehabing them. I wouldn't bother stripping, you did a good enough job on your initial coat. Grab one of those texture paints for the base and it will really finish them off. I'd guess Astrodebris would look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Moose-Alini posted:

So two years ago I was gifted the AoS starter kit right when it came out. I never played a war game or painted minis so was pretty psyched. I ran out and got a random paint set and painted up the stormcast, first things I ever painted, and got an army of these

After two years of trying to learn to paint I got sick of these ugly abominations mocking me. Last week I started rehabilitating them, stripped some but just added on to others and am really pleased with the progress

I am under no illusions that I am a great painter, but seeing the evolution so starkly is really cool. I feel like I could take these to a game without being embarrassed.

I actually like the stormcasts now as models, especially the retributors.

Looking good man!

• Locked thread