Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Congrats! Enjoy your seizures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
One of the mirrors in my Virtual Boy is messed up, pretty sure the left one stopped moving entirely. I'll have to open it up one of these days and see if it's something I can fix.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't know if any of you care because you're all rich turbonerd framemeister-havers itt but after some trial and error (and amazon returns) I managed to find a very fantastic s-video setup

THIS cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LE3EAIK/

with

THIS box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019T0WFA4/

Produces a very clear image at 1080p on HDMI, with no checkerboarding or composite interference or none of that poo poo. Looks fantastic on SNES, N64 and Gamecube!

More expensive converter boxes gave pretty awful white smearing across the image when using s-video (but were fine for composite) and other s-video cables gave checkerboarding.

Yes I know you RGB/SCART guys have a brighter picture and even sharper pixels, but this looks drat good for my money. :) I'm pretty happy for now. (I'm sure I'll go full SCART eventually :retrogames:)

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

How's the input delay? Also could you upload a screen cap or something?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

worthless. posted:

Congrats! Enjoy your seizures!
Haha thank you! Being only a 14 title library and half of them being quite common, I figured it's the most easily attainable console collection to finish, especially for a Nintendo console. I'm going to try to get the Japanese exclusives too, but I think a couple of those go for insane money.

For instance Japan had an exclusive Space Invaders game, and right now the lowest eBay selling price is $600. That's silly.

edit: Also today I learned there's Virtual Boy homebrew. I'm curious, but these games go for hundreds as well.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 24, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

worthless. posted:

How's the input delay? Also could you upload a screen cap or something?

I don't have a capture card or anything so It'd have to be a lovely phone cam shot. Hm.

Need to test the input delay but I've heard decent things from these boxes as long as the picture looks good. Not sure which game I have would be best to test it... maybe street fighter?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The best game to test it is the game you're best at that requires active response (e.g. not an RPG).

I'd tell you how bad the lag is myself but I'm sure you're a bit far :allears:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know if any of you care because you're all rich turbonerd framemeister-havers itt but after some trial and error (and amazon returns) I managed to find a very fantastic s-video setup

THIS cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LE3EAIK/

with

THIS box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019T0WFA4/

Produces a very clear image at 1080p on HDMI, with no checkerboarding or composite interference or none of that poo poo. Looks fantastic on SNES, N64 and Gamecube!

More expensive converter boxes gave pretty awful white smearing across the image when using s-video (but were fine for composite) and other s-video cables gave checkerboarding.

Yes I know you RGB/SCART guys have a brighter picture and even sharper pixels, but this looks drat good for my money. :) I'm pretty happy for now. (I'm sure I'll go full SCART eventually :retrogames:)

I knew the Canadian dollar exchange rate was bad but goddamn

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looks pretty sharp. Nice square pixels.

There's some glare and also some interference from my tv's screen (its a 3d tv so it has one of those polarizing filters) so this picture isn't perfect, but the image really does look pretty great.

I have noticed that during full screen scrolling / heavy motion, the image looks just a bit softer, so it can't compete with a Framemeister setup, but overall pretty good.

I beat Dhalsim so I'm gonna guess that input lag is not so bad. :)

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Nice! I might pick one up so I don't have to bring my framemeister to conventions then

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I wonder what ever happened to that project someone was doing, to attempt to replace the Virtual Boy's dual single line LED arrays with mirrors with 2 stationary LED arrays that would get fed with the same data.

The idea of it was that having dual 384 x 224 LED arrays or possibly dual backlit 384 x 224 LCD displays would lead to a more reliable and slightly lower power consumption display. And that it might also cut down on the headaches the existing mirror systems introduced.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

worthless. posted:

Nice! I might pick one up so I don't have to bring my framemeister to conventions then

No scanline options obviously, and it defaults to fullscreen 16:9 so you need a tv that can force aspect 4:3, but mine can do that just fine.

Its no framemeister but for the price its pretty good, so yeah I could see it being something handy to take with you to conventions or friend's houses or whatever.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Hot new finds in the world of classic gaming

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/856627111263559680

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You've gotta love the glove!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's important to love the glove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW_Ol3NhikM

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Won't that just be identical to the released version since they'd be pressing the master from it? Or do they mean "press" as in something that went out for previews to game magazines?

I never got that game to work on my Win98 machine back when it was new. I'm sure getting it to run now would be even worse.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
That would be a disc FOR the press. Anything that is going "to be pressed" would be the "gold".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose I should confess something, pertinent to this sudden turn of events.

I like Glover.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shadow Hog posted:

I suppose I should confess something, pertinent to this sudden turn of events.

I like Glover.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I'm looking for a firm yet tender glover. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Actual question: I'm having a hard time finding a component to d-term adapter for my framemeister. Any recommendations? Or does anyone have one they don't want anymore?

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 25, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't have a capture card or anything so It'd have to be a lovely phone cam shot. Hm.

Need to test the input delay but I've heard decent things from these boxes as long as the picture looks good. Not sure which game I have would be best to test it... maybe street fighter?

If you have a dreamcast or an everdeive for snes or Genesis, or basically any console capable of running homebrew, test it with 240p test suite.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=240p_test_suite

240p test suite basically throws a bunch of stuff out there to trip up scalers so you can see if you're affected, it also has tons of test screens and a lag test.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

worthless. posted:

I'm looking for a firm yet tender glover. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Actual question: I'm having a hard time finding a component to d-term adapter for my framemeister. Any recommendations? Or does anyone have one they don't want anymore?

Would any of these work for what you need?

https://solarisjapan.com/search#q=d-terminal&page=0

I imagine you could probably get a male D-Terminal cable with male component plugs, and then get a gender changer for the component cables to make them inputs. Maybe like this:

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/Misc_htm/m_d2comp.htm

Also, if you're down for Rakuten, maybe this?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/donya/88944/

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I can't even imagine how many duplicate copies of various games they must have. They probably have a room full of Superman 64s or something.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

worthless. posted:

I think Amazon.jp ships direct to the US now: https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B3%...&language=en_US

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As long as you're not buying a video game or a movie, I think Amazon.co.jp will be happy to send you something overseas. I just wish that extended to the marketplace, or at least marketplace fulfillment by Amazon. There's some nerdy video game comics I want to get but not enough to jump through the hoops to have it drop shipped.

Edit: Yes, after I posted this I realized how redundant "nerdy video game comics" was as a phrase.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

As long as you're not buying a video game or a movie, I think Amazon.co.jp will be happy to send you something overseas. I just wish that extended to the marketplace, or at least marketplace fulfillment by Amazon. There's some nerdy video game comics I want to get but not enough to jump through the hoops to have it drop shipped.

Edit: Yes, after I posted this I realized how redundant "nerdy video game comics" was as a phrase.

You can import games from Amazon JP without issue now. Been that way for a number of months.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can import games from Amazon JP without issue now. Been that way for a number of months.

Oh cool. I tried to do something about two months ago and it didn't work so I probably just missed the change over.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Oh cool. I tried to do something about two months ago and it didn't work so I probably just missed the change over.

Could have been a 3rd party seller because the changeover was actually about a year ago.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I have a bunch of Sega Genesis games (mostly with their boxes) and don't want to deal with shipping. How bad would I get ripped off trading them in at Gamestop instead of trying to sell them on Craigslist? (Nothing super rare but lots of random popular games like Sonic 3.) I'm near Dallas if anyone know stores in that area that buy back for better prices than gamestop.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
GameStop is probably the worst choice.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Caitlin posted:

That would be a disc FOR the press. Anything that is going "to be pressed" would be the "gold".

Yeah these are like, screenshots and pieces of art and dev team photos and stuff sent to EGM.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Honestly gamestop probably won't even take them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's your solemn duty as a retro games enthusiast to sell all that crap in a bulk lot alongside one good game, thus maintaining the cycle of burdening other people with hard-to-flip junk.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

worthless. posted:

They're doing retro games again, mostly from their website, so most likely they will.

They've gotten heat for it because they've both bought and sold bootleg games as authentic because they don't know what they're doing. It's also a crapshoot whether or not your game comes with a box/manual.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GutBomb posted:

GameStop is probably the worst choice.

Has Gamestop ever in its history offered a reasonable price for something you sell to them?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

worthless. posted:

GameStop rolled out their retro game trading nationwide a few months ago. They only sell the games online but buy the games at any store. There have been some pretty funny stories about them buying repro carts and not realizing it only to list them online. They don't pay out worth a drat for anything not rare, and even then it's the lowest offers you'll get. Just put it up on eBay as a lot so you only have to ship one package and you'll do better than you would at GameStop.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

Has Gamestop ever in its history offered a reasonable price for something you sell to them?

Well they'll give you real money for old yearly sports games, whereas anyone sane would refuse to buy them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had asked around here previously about getting my cabinet's PCB fixed based on what I assume is some sort of corruption, but I dont remember who was recommended to me other than they were in Indiana. I believe it may be this guy based on that alone but I'm not sure:

http://www.arcade-service.com/pcb-repair/

Basically the cabinet was working then one day I turned it on and everything was rainbow coloured snow. I can't find my original post but basically the diagnoses was PCB

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

They gave me 40 dollars for the Assassin's Creed Vita game and I bought persona 4 golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got $200 for a old Xbox one a few months ago that was a good deal.

• Locked thread