Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've done the Irassian line twice now and it just gets stuck in my Situation Log because I go to the system and nothing happens. It's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think I've only ever had Yuht and First League finish.

Both were after they added the mechanic that randomly spawns anomalies on your planets throughout the game until you can finish the quest.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Behold the remains of the great and bountiful Human Empire, stuck between an aggressive rear end in a top hat player who wanted human butlers for his core worlds and a fanatic purifier.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

You know with respect to the issue of AI empires sniping your precursor event chain ending, I don't even care if the home system spawns on the other side of the galaxy or whatever. I don't care if some other empire surveys it first. They just need to take out the dumb "first person to survey it wins!!!" poo poo and I'd be fine.

Straight up give everyone who didn't meticulously piece together their ancient history the consolation prize reward. Because they probably don't understand what they're surveying enough to take advantage of it.

I love how after scouring the galaxy for clues about this ancient lost civilization, the first thing your scientists do after piecing together the location is to apparently broadcast it to every other loving civilization in the galaxy lol

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

Behold the remains of the great and bountiful Human Empire, stuck between an aggressive rear end in a top hat player who wanted human butlers for his core worlds and a fanatic purifier.

4 frontier stations in that shot alone? How do you afford that?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shugojin posted:

I think I've only ever had Yuht and First League finish.

Both were after they added the mechanic that randomly spawns anomalies on your planets throughout the game until you can finish the quest.

I had a multiplayer game where I expanded quite quickly and every Yuht clue was in my area and so was their homeworld, I got them really quickly and it was even at the point where +2000 minerals and energy was really really good.

Since then I only complete them because of spawned anomalies and then the home system is JUST out of range.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm currently running 12, though I am replacing one in order to steal an ether drake system.

Faith traditions is from a mod that lets you do more with unity, edicts is from the thing I mentioned above where if you get more than -100% cost to edicts it actually gives you influence back for running it, the factions are from keeping 40+% of my empire spiritualist and them having +80% happiness.

Honestly I have been influence capped for so long I could probably run 18-20 stations and not feel it due to the edict refunds.

Oh and I guess there's this + Orbital Mind Control Lasers over every planet for a whopping +210% governing ethics attraction.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 25, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

One of the traditions (in expansion, I think?) gives you a 50% discount to frontier station upkeep, both power and influence.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
My neighbors are a single species empire that has arid preference.

They have an arctic world that they are currently terraforming into an alpine world, and one alpine world that they're terraforming into an arctic world.

I don't think the AI understands what the actual purpose of terraforming is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

"Those guys kicked our asses last time, when our empire was twice as large and we had five allies rather than one! LET'S GO BRO!"

Task Force Garuda and Task Force Wendigo tore them apart within a month of war starting and are even now bombing the poo poo out of them.

Stupid space starfish.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

VirtualStranger posted:

They have an arctic world that they are currently terraforming into an alpine world, and one alpine world that they're terraforming into an arctic world.

If they have excess energy I have noticed they will do this to get rid of the negative modifiers on the planet and settle it later.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

If they have excess energy I have noticed they will do this to get rid of the negative modifiers on the planet and settle it later.

Terraforming doesn't get rid of negative modifiers though.

And yeah, my neighbours in my last game were constantly terraforming their arid worlds to desert worlds and then back again. Which was great as I had desert preference so I outpost sniped them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Argh. Forced labor. It seems like it has a lot of conceptual overlap with chattal slavery, production of food and minerals only, etc. But of course, it gets none of the bonuses from slavery, nor the mechanics meant to deal with it - a slave control facility can't even be built on a planet with only forced labor dudes. And they're always at maximum unrest, so if you capture a planet of xenos that you want to get some use out of on their way out, you'll have hundreds of unrest that can only be reduced by moving pops over to a planet you want to depopulate, or building dozens of robotic armies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VirtualStranger posted:

I've seen this a ton. I look over at a large empire and every planet is shaded blue for active terraforming, but not being terraformed towards what they like because they're idiots. One guy was terraforming a bunch of tropical planets to continental for me, thanks rival empire!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I have a confession: I've played somewhere around 150 hours of Stellaris since launch, and I've never terraformed a single planet. I don't even know how. Is it a constructor option? How much does each planet cost? How long does it take?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish there was an easy way to find terraforming candidates out of thousand of uninhabitable worlds in my empire.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

MadJackal posted:

I have a confession: I've played somewhere around 150 hours of Stellaris since launch, and I've never terraformed a single planet. I don't even know how. Is it a constructor option? How much does each planet cost? How long does it take?

you need society (green) techs, you don't need a ship but the planet does have to be in your territory (there's a button on the world itself when you select it). initially you can only terraform within the same heat class (so you can make savanna into desert/arid but not continental or arctic) and additional techs let you 1) terraform across heat classes, 2) terraform tomb worlds, and 3) terraform into gaia worlds. there are also some circumstances under which you can terraform normally uninhabitable worlds (i.e. barren), usually from events or the outcome of the scourge crisis but those are uncommon

cost is 2k for same-heat-class terraforming, 5k for cross-heat-class, and ludicrously expensive (like 20k+) for anything to gaia. the first terraforming tech you get reveals two fairly common strategic resources that greatly reduce the cost. it takes a while but i can't remember how long offhand, like 5-10 years?

also the planet can't be inhabited by any proper civilization/pops at this time (changing in 1.6). you can terraform planets with pre-sentient pops on them but it just kills them.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 25, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

alcaras posted:

Which civics did you use?

Philosopher King and Agrarian Idyll then later got Efficient Bureaucracy for additional core worlds.

PK was bugged on release but now it should be pretty good but you could use something else. Agrarian Idyll is really worth it though.

I think if you are going pacifist, going into expansion first for the super cheap frontier outposts and colonies helps a lot too. You'll be able to stake out a large portion of the map before other people can take it, then you just spend your time building everything up inside the area as you will. It works well, especially if you have a defensive pact with a strong friendly empire to ensure you have time to build your economy before getting a large navy.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

I wish there was an easy way to find terraforming candidates out of thousand of uninhabitable worlds in my empire.

There's a really easy way to tell: none of them are. You can only terraform habitable worlds.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Gadzuko posted:

There's a really easy way to tell: none of them are. You can only terraform habitable worlds.

you can very, very occasionally terraform toxic and barren worlds as a result of anomalies but you'll probably know about those because the game tells you "hey you can terraform this" when they pop

you can also terraform any former prethoryn scourge world but again you'll probably know what the viable ones are there since you were just fighting tyranids

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gadzuko posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-64-minor-features-and-tweaks.1004046/

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

MadJackal posted:

Click on the planet, and there should be a terraforming option. It depends on how much the planet needs to be changed as well as various techs, but around 1k-3.5k energy or so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've had science ships tell me a planet is a terraforming candidate but then it still doesn't let me do it. I can always do mars, but most of the random anomalies I find fail to actually work.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kinetica posted:

Click on the planet, and there should be a terraforming option. It depends on how much the planet needs to be changed as well as various techs, but around 1k-3.5k energy or so.

Also be aware that if you go Maximum Terraformer and have basically every single bonus in the game, you'll be able to change stuff for a pittance. In-class changes cost me 350 energy now, and tomb world rehab costs like 1750 or something. Takes no time whatsoever, too.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

With the recent update some barren worlds get the Terraforming Candidate modifier if you pass a really easy anomaly check. Mars in the Sol system is always a Terraforming Candidate, for example.

That said, with terraforming worlds getting a new icon on the galaxy map, and primitives also being visible now, it'd be great if the new Terraforming Candidates got an easy to find world symbol too, especially as you don't realise you've found one if the npc empires completed the anomaly before you. I'm not sitting and clicking through a billion barren worlds to try and find the five that can be terraformed.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

VirtualStranger posted:

I *bet* the AI has a budget set aside for terraforming and if they don't have Atmospheric Manipulation there's no check to tell them to not terraform worlds they can't make suitable for their species.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

alcaras posted:

My ship layout. I am lazy and don't follow the idealized strategy outlined in https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/ because I don't really want to deal with 6 loadouts of 3 ship classes (the fleet interface will only show you 5 loadouts, and then the totals for each ship class, which is annoying).

Corvette:
Torpedo Boat - Torpedo + Plasma
Shields + Shield Capacitor. No Armor.

Destroyer:
Artillery / Gunship : Kinetic Artillery + Plasma
Shields + Shield Capacitor. No Armor.

Cruiser:
Broadside x3: Flak + Gauss / Plasma / Plasma
Shields, Armor, Shield Capacitor + Crystalline Armor.

Nice easy 3:2:1 Corvette:Destroyer:Cruiser ratio.

Comments/any changes folks would make? I haven't noticed this as being substantially weaker than the ideal loadout, but I also haven't tested extensively.

This will all work fine. Some changes you may consider:

- Try switching the capacitor on the Corvette for an afterburner. With torpedoes (I assume energy torpedoes) you want to get in range as quickly as possible, and afterburners do help with this. You will lose more corvettes, but will kill things faster.
- An alternative corvette design uses three autocannons instead of torpedoes - it's nearly as effective against shields as torpedoes owing to the high DPS, and has something to do when the shields come down. Plus there's something cool about a thousand angry flies with massive machine guns strapped to their sides screaming towards the enemy, even if kinetic graphics leave something to be desired.
- I'd replace the Gauss on the Cruiser with a second flak or another plasma. Railguns and lasers are designed to work best at medium range, and all battles are fought at either long range (battleships and destroyers) or short range (corvettes and cruisers). The narrow band when they're optimal doesn't last very long in combat.

Also, and this may be sacrilege against the current meta, but I really don't find battleships to be that bad. They're artillery; load them up with all large mounts and an XL mounts (kinetic artillery and a Giga Cannon for preference) and go to town. I find I lose considerably more cruisers than battleships, which is unsurprising as cruisers are intended to run straight at the enemy and punch them in the face. If you're using battleships, swap out the medium plasma on your destroyer for a flak cannon to provide PD cover and your big ships will kill most things before they get in range of anything else.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Welp. Scourge spawned right on top of me with something like ten times my fleet power. Game over. :|

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Regarding civics I don't feel any of them are particularly broken or overpowered, there are a few I think probably aren't as good as the others but none of them are so good I feel I really need to think hard about the effects of them.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gadzuko posted:

Get a load of this idiot.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Thoughts on my precursor shipyards skin?
http://i.imgur.com/LgjC2zA.jpg

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 25, 2017

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Are the space-borne pirates leaving their home system and raiding around new for Banks? This was the first time I've seen it happen, the Young Bloods warped into my empire and starting loving poo poo up while my fleet was fighting a war the other arm over. Very clever timing from the AI if intentional.

Also earlier in the thread people were ragging on the Spiral-feed power hub; don't knock it, its a lvl2 Power Hub you can build on a world with just the reassembled ship shelter, something I don't think should be sniffed at.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Yadoppsi posted:

Are the space-borne pirates leaving their home system and raiding around new for Banks? This was the first time I've seen it happen, the Young Bloods warped into my empire and starting loving poo poo up while my fleet was fighting a war the other arm over. Very clever timing from the AI if intentional.

Also earlier in the thread people were ragging on the Spiral-feed power hub; don't knock it, its a lvl2 Power Hub you can build on a world with just the reassembled ship shelter, something I don't think should be sniffed at.

I've seen the Youngbloods head off and start poo poo with npcs once. I've also found the pirate home system with only the...uh, the mid level group and the giant cruiser remaining, no Youngbloods to be found. That's happened to me like a dozen times before Banks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I wish civilian ships could be less retarded about running away.

"Oh no, an enemy ship on the opposite side of this system, and it's preparing to travel to another system! I'd better run to another system too!"
*construction ship hypers down the same lane as the enemy ship*

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Is there a way to spawn events for the AI? I want to see what happens if I give one of them End of the Cycle and a few others for giggles.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

I wish civilian ships could be less retarded about running away.

"Oh no, an enemy ship on the opposite side of this system, and it's preparing to travel to another system! I'd better run to another system too!"
*construction ship hypers down the same lane as the enemy ship*
Yesterday I had a science ship that warped into a system with hostiles and tried to flee but they decided to head to a system which also had hostiles so they cancelled the fleeing and then immediately tried to run away again. They spent quite a while just sitting there changing their mind over and over. Fortunately I could fix it by ordering them to go to just one of the many nearby empty systems.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Strudel Man posted:

Welp. Scourge spawned right on top of me with something like ten times my fleet power. Game over. :|

Preserve your fleet, wait for them to start colonizing one planet, rush in and bombard it down. Poof swarm gone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I know I asked this earlier and nobody replied but is anyone else having weird issues getting aliens to move to their territory?

They're full citizenship when we sign the migration pact but then later (much later) when I absorbed their empires they all showed "Resident" and I had to re-do them even though my default is full citizenship with migration rights. I don't get it. My Gaia world was a land of opportunity and I had 4 migration treaties and nothing at all happened.

But now they're properly part of my empire they're moving normally.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Taear posted:

I know I asked this earlier and nobody replied but is anyone else having weird issues getting aliens to move to their territory?

They're full citizenship when we sign the migration pact but then later (much later) when I absorbed their empires they all showed "Resident" and I had to re-do them even though my default is full citizenship with migration rights. I don't get it. My Gaia world was a land of opportunity and I had 4 migration treaties and nothing at all happened.

But now they're properly part of my empire they're moving normally.

I had a xenophile empire based on migration, and got no migrants. Caste system religious slavers, people can't stop tripping over their turgid dick analogues trying to get in this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

I had a xenophile empire based on migration, and got no migrants. Caste system religious slavers, people can't stop tripping over their turgid dick analogues trying to get in this thing.

Bugged then? It's pretty frustrating because that's sort of my favourite part of the game! I only ended up with any aliens at all because I got some refugees.

• Locked thread