Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

https://www.oculus.com/unspoken-tournament/

Fuckkkk I'm going to be in Yellowstone when this happens, this is the worst day of my life

I think you're coming out on top there, Yellowstone is my favourite place in the world and easily beats out video games, except maybe ocarina of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

I think you're coming out on top there, Yellowstone is my favourite place in the world and easily beats out video games, except maybe ocarina of time

Yeah but if it was on a different weekend I could do both, and I'm really really good at that game :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

eggyolk posted:

I just finished a round of Project Cars with the Vive and a wheel/pedals/shifter setup. It'd be more enjoyable if it didn't feel so unoptimized, both in the menu navigation and since my 1080Ti seems unable to deliver 90fps. Hopefully Project Cars 2 doesn't require endless rebooting through awkward menus to find acceptable graphics settings.

But hey, it's the only Vive game I still play.

Nope, still does. :/

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

Fuckkkk I'm going to be in Yellowstone when this happens, this is the worst day of my life
This is pretty awesome and I hope it will be broadcast so we can all watch people do cool mage moves and stuff!

I find the prize selection to be a bit odd, as if you win a local round you get a free copy of a game you almost certainly had to own before you entered the competition? Then if you win you win a VR system that you already have to play the game you're the best in the world at. They should give away a Vive because whoever wins this already owns a Rift. It's like when I won the World's Most Generous Lover competition and the prize was a pad of pre-printed "good for one backrub" coupons and I am like, "guys , you don't think I already have my own pad of backrub coupons?"

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CapnBry posted:

I find the prize selection to be a bit odd, as if you win a local round you get a free copy of a game you almost certainly had to own before you entered the competition? Then if you win you win a VR system that you already have to play the game you're the best in the world at. They should give away a Vive because whoever wins this already owns a Rift. It's like when I won the World's Most Generous Lover competition and the prize was a pad of pre-printed "good for one backrub" coupons and I am like, "guys , you don't think I already have my own pad of backrub coupons?"

No everyone gets a copy of the game, winner gets $100 + continue in tournament. I have a Rift+touch but not a copy of the game so I entered and expect to lose just to see the tournament and get a free copy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Vive deluxe strap is up on amazon.ca for preorder, 140 CDN. I bought it because I'm dumb, but also because headphone cable management and strap adjusting is really annoying when demoing for people. Hopefully the speakers are of good quality because this thing ain't cheap.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
https://twitter.com/Ross_McDougall/status/856370049761792000

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what is 380g

what is a mixed reality headset

a square resolution????

basically details please

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Walrus posted:

what is 380g

a square resolution????

basically details please
380 grams is 100 grams lighter than a rift, mixed reality means reality that is mixed with computer generated imagery, and I'm guessing its per eye resolution?? you're welcome

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

380 grams is 100 grams lighter than a rift, mixed reality means reality that is mixed with computer generated imagery, and I'm guessing its per eye resolution?? you're welcome

ooooh, grams, right. but what is the point of a dedicated mixed reality headset? I would think AR would be a much better solution

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

what is 380g

a square resolution????

basically details please

360g is the weight. And it has forward looking cameras built in so it can make an augmented reality environment. http://www.roadtovr.com/report-lenovos-windows-holographic-mr-vr-headset-launch-mid-august/

I'm not sure how reliable the guy is, but the price and the month are leaks, since Lenovo hasn't said either.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.popsci.com/cat-rescue-virtual-reality

Anyone know if that cat demo from last year is ever getting a public release? I'd love something like that to show people.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

360g is the weight. And it has forward looking cameras built in so it can make an augmented reality environment. http://www.roadtovr.com/report-lenovos-windows-holographic-mr-vr-headset-launch-mid-august/

I'm not sure how reliable the guy is, but the price and the month are leaks, since Lenovo hasn't said either.

That link you posted also does say it's 1440x1440 per eye... between that and the PSVR style strap and the lower weight, seems like a very nice MHD on paper.

Edit: The Acer HMD went full Virtual Boy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Walrus posted:

ooooh, grams, right. but what is the point of a dedicated mixed reality headset? I would think AR would be a much better solution
Mixed reality is a spectrum, AR and VR are spots on that spectrum. A VR headset with a camera can operate across a region of that spectrum (but a different region than something like the Hololens that has a transparent display element)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

EdEddnEddy posted:

Find a Used G25 or G27 that all still works and your most of the way there. If there are any issues with them they can probably be fixed with a little soldering real easy.

My 2008 G25 still chugs along like a champ.

Thanks, bidding on one now. Was holding out for the cash for a fanatech, but probably shouldn't drop that much when I can get one with a shifter for around $200 that'll also work with my console

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

That link you posted also does say it's 1440x1440 per eye... between that and the PSVR style strap and the lower weight, seems like a very nice MHD on paper.

Edit: The Acer HMD went full Virtual Boy.

Yeah, I think it's going to get really interesting once more and more companies start releasing their own headsets.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

What's the effective per-eye resolution of the Rift for comparison?

The more companies that make headsets the better. Of course they're screwed if they don't make them Steam VR-compatible with existing titles.

I hope they understand that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Rift and Vive are 1080x1200 per eye. This looks pretty interesting, but is it using the hololens API? If so, good luck playing VR games on it. Unless SteamVR also supports hololens.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Also lack of good tracked motion controllers means its already relegated to tier2-at-best status when it comes to VR PC gaming.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Thanks, bidding on one now. Was holding out for the cash for a fanatech, but probably shouldn't drop that much when I can get one with a shifter for around $200 that'll also work with my console

The G25/G27 don't work with the PS4 or Xbox One because of stupid Xinput whatever the F reason and you have to choose what one of the "NEW" Wheels that work with one or the other.

The G920 works with the Xbox One, PC, and PS3, while the G29 works with the PS4, PC, PS3.

It is freaking stupid and all they are, are G27's with console specific buttons and whatever chip is required to make them work.

There is nothing wrong with the G25/27 otherwise. The G25 even has a switchable shifter you can swap between Gate and quick shifter which they removed for whatever reason from the G27+ but the G27+ have the smoother feeling/sounding gearing so there are pro's/con's but no major differences between actual usage performance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless you find one real cheap, don't bother with a G29. Logitech thinks they can charge big prices like Thrustmaster and Fanatec without putting in the effort. Where the G25/7 came with the wheel, pedals, and a shifter, the G29 is just the wheel and pedals. It's also pretty much the same internally as the G25/27. Don't spend 400 dollars on a wheel that has gears in it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Does Thrustmaster sell a set (preferably PS4 compatible) with a clutch pedal that isn't twice as expensive as the G29 though? That's the only reason I've been kinda looking at the G29, I want a clutch

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Shame that lenovo thing will be wired. Mind you at that price you could get the third party wireless thing for vive if its compatible and still come out ahead on cost. Wonder what the fov/fps is. Also of therell be hand tracking.

By the way i just updated to some oculus home recommended usb drivers and am now reinstalling windows. Just as a warning

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Does Thrustmaster sell a set (preferably PS4 compatible) with a clutch pedal that isn't twice as expensive as the G29 though? That's the only reason I've been kinda looking at the G29, I want a clutch

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster...ords=t300+rs+gt

T300 RS GT has 3 pedals and works with PS4. Though it looks like the G29 came down in price and is 300 dollars now. I'd still recommend not getting it because it has inferior internals.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

EdEddnEddy posted:

The G920 works with the Xbox One, PC, and PS3, while the G29 works with the PS4, PC, PS3..

Appreciate the specifics.

It's the 920 that I'm bidding on, want something I can play Forza with when I don't want to gently caress with the PC.

Cojawfee posted:

Unless you find one real cheap, don't bother with a G29. Logitech thinks they can charge big prices like Thrustmaster and Fanatec without putting in the effort. Where the G25/7 came with the wheel, pedals, and a shifter, the G29 is just the wheel and pedals. It's also pretty much the same internally as the G25/27. Don't spend 400 dollars on a wheel that has gears in it.

You can find the 29/920 on eBay for under $200 easily, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Make sure that 920 comes with a Shifter. If not make sure you get that separate if you want one. It should be pretty cheap used.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/metaworld-the-social-vr-mmo-sim--2#/
Kickstarter MMOs... in VR!!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

Dude the natural world will wait. The triumph of goonkind will not. Get your priorities sorted wtf
(they aren't doing it in the UK :( )

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gather around and hear the tale of my first seated VR experience!

So I was browsing the Steam VR store in VR (my first mistake) when I noticed that Subnautica was on sale and it listed official Vive support (see section 2: Support Rant).
"Hey," I spoke aloud for the benefit of the readers, "I've heard good things about Subnautica. Let's try it out for $10."
Bought and installed the game, launched VR tried to launch the game. "This game doesn't support motion controls."
Oh, well that sucks. Ok, I already bought so I guess I'll try out VR as a seated experience then.
I plug in my 360 controller and launch the game sans wands.
The start menu looks good (if a bit low to the ground, no big deal.) I point my face at the start button and hit "A" on the controler.
Nothing. Hmmm.
Windows sees the controller. I load up another game, it recognizes the controller and I can play a bit.
I try unplugging the controller and launching Subnautica with just mouse and keyboard. Again, I point my cursor at the start button and lry a mouse click.
Nothing.
Enter?
Nothing.
Hmmm....
A goick google search doesn't reveal much other than this is a known issue and people get into stupid internet slap fights over everything, including what constitutes "VR support" and if the 360 controller is or is not the most supported controller on PC or of all time.
"Well, that was fun." I again say aloud for the purpose of the narrative as I request a refund of my $10.

I could have probably dicked around with it and found a solution, but honestly I was already disappointed in myself for not noticing that it was seated only and I didn't feel like troubleshooting a controller issue for an early access game.

And that's my seated VR experience.

Section 2: A small rant.
If you don't support the controller/control scheme that came with a system, then you don't support the system. Just because you opened the project in unity and/or unreal and clicked the checkbox for "render in VR" does, technically, mean you created a VR game, but if you aren't going to bother to support the entire VR system then it's no better than a lovely android game port.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subnautica is ridiculously picky about its controllers for some reason. If I use a PS4 controller and if I don't have DS4Windows set up just right as long as I have my controller plugged in I'm stuck slowly spinning in place clockwise. Very fun to troubleshoot in VR.

I don't agree with the second point though. The game predates VR hand controllers by a couple of years, its had VR support since the Rift DK1, and I don't think it would be materially improved by supporting them. There's a place for all kinds of input methods in VR, steering wheels, flight sticks, gamepads, guitar controllers. Hand presence is good but not everything needs it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

homeless snail posted:

I don't agree with the second point though. The game predates VR hand controllers by a couple of years, its had VR support since the Rift DK1, and I don't think it would be materially improved by supporting them. There's a place for all kinds of input methods in VR, steering wheels, flight sticks, gamepads, guitar controllers. Hand presence is good but not everything needs it.

That's fair. I'm just being salty.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

The Rift and Vive are 1080x1200 per eye. This looks pretty interesting, but is it using the hololens API? If so, good luck playing VR games on it. Unless SteamVR also supports hololens.

The only reason the Rift works with SteamVR is because Valve (not Oculus) took the effort to write a wrapper that created a compatibility layer between the Oculus and SteamVR APIs. That will almost certainly also happen with the hololens headsets too.

Even Razer Hydras work in SteamVR which is the only way many OpenVR headsets not using lighthouses/cameras can have motion controls. Would probably be a good solution albeit slightly less than ideal solution with Hololens headsets for people wanting to play The Lab and other steamvr games.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 25, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

iceaim posted:

The only reason the Rift works with SteamVR is because Valve (not Oculus) took the effort to write a wrapper that created a compatibility layer between the Oculus and SteamVR APIs. That will almost certainly also happen with the hololens headsets too.

Even Razer Hydras work in SteamVR which is the only way many OpenVR headsets not using lighthouses can have motion controls. Would probably be a good solution for Hololens headsets for people wanting to play The Lab.
Maybe, circumstances are a little different since the Microsoft Holographic stuff is only accessible to UWAs afaik, might not be possible to shim it in the way that the Rift and OSVR SteamVR bridges work. I'm sure someone will hack it but it might be too messy for Valve to want to bother with it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Justin Roiland gave a keynote address at VRLA 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPN5V7ZEcrQ

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Batman Arkham VR is finally out on PC, it's alright, I guess.

£15 is hella' steep for what took me 45-ish minutes to finish in one sitting standing. Once you finish it it unlocks a bunch of Riddler puzzles to give you a reason to go back into it, I haven't tried those yet though so no idea if they do anything interesting with it though.

It is very pretty however. It's neat seeing what VR looks like with AAA money behind it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some of them are interesting, a lot of them are pixel hunting, but getting them all probably won't take you more than another 45 minutes. It is drat pretty though, and you're the goddamn Batman.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Maybe, circumstances are a little different since the Microsoft Holographic stuff is only accessible to UWAs afaik, might not be possible to shim it in the way that the Rift and OSVR SteamVR bridges work. I'm sure someone will hack it but it might be too messy for Valve to want to bother with it.

It would be pretty retarded of Microsoft to not allow compatibility for Open VR. Fragmenting VR like that is counter-productive.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

iceaim posted:

It would be pretty retarded of Microsoft to not allow compatibility for Open VR. Fragmenting VR like that is counter-productive.

Yeah it'd be real awful if Microsoft pushed their own standard instead of falling in line with one everyone else is getting on board with. Good thing they've never done that before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hololens API in SteamVR only works in Windows 11, click here to purchase Windows 11 today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Subnautica in VR with good headphones is pretty loving sweet.