Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There was 100% a Mr. Meseeks during one of the crowd scenes, he's wearing a green jerkin and a little hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

420 Gank Mid posted:

I don't know.

For at least a decade and probably closer to 15-20 years all of Japan (and probably more) was occupied by a towering flaming inferno of shapeshifting evil. If someone showed up after two decades of exile and slew that. I mean come on, Gilgamesh ain't got poo poo on that

Sure, for the people who experienced it. It's human nature to be highly adaptable and part of that is forgetting quickly. We've already push some horrific events of the early 20th century behind us and there are already different perspectives and versions of events even though people who experienced it are still around. Imagine what a thousand years can do. For example, Italians no longer have the same reverence for Augustus, who was literally deified and worshipped after his death. And who in the common public knows who John Enders is? Not even 100 years out from issues that had ravaged humanity since time immemorial.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

drat. I was much happier with the bad-rear end samurai movie version than the boring-rear end reality

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm wondering if it's going to be something like this: Jack returns to the past just after he got shunted forward, beats down the already weakened Aku, but before the final blow is struck, Aku possesses him (like in "the Aku Infection", except totally deliberate) and stabilizes the time loop.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've got a feeling they're not going to do any sort of time loop ending, because those suck, and Jack's quest being futile from the start isn't really the sort of positive note you bring a franchise back from a decade-plus hiatus to deliver.

By the same token, I really don't think he'll just get back to the past and defeat Aku, thus erasing the current present, since it makes all this development of other characters and the setting Jack's helped so far kind of pointless. This very last episode was about Jack despairing because if he can't undo Aku then he's accomplished nothing and Ashi convinces him that the good he's done along the way has been worthwhile, a message that loses its power if he just undoes that too in the end.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Someone mentioned earlier in thread that one the endings is a split in the timelines, in which Jack defeats Aku in the past, and Ashi fights Aku in the future. That seems like the most likely ending because they can have it both ways - Jack lives in a peaceful era, but the sacrifices he's made for Ashi and the others aren't erased.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, the big hurdle to overcome with that theory is how they'll both be able to wield the sword "at the same time" to defeat Aku in the past and present.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, the big hurdle to overcome with that theory is how they'll both be able to wield the sword "at the same time" to defeat Aku in the past and present.

splitscreen tossing it back and forth during the fight through the time portal

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or Jack beats Aku in the past first, then tosses the sword through the time portal before it closes forever. He gets to live in peace in his home time, and Ashi either immediately beats Aku in the future... or the sword goes off-course, and we get a sequel hook of her hunting for it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Regalingualius posted:

Honestly trying to figure out where Ashi keeps her kusarigama bugs me way more than this ever would

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jack going back and undoing the future we spent 4-5 years exploring with him is a sadder ending then if he just died in the future. I honestly don't see him getting to BOTH go back and also survive.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Which is why it'll end on a cliffhanger, ala Duckman

"We said we were giving a final conclusion to the show, not the story"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Aku fled across the desert, and the Samurai followed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They might go for the split timeline thing but that sort of feels like a copout, since it's a sort of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too situation where Jack can be a hero in the Aku present and save the past and there's no tension between those two goals. It also means Jack doesn't really have any more dilemmas to wrestle with aside from just being able to beat Aku in a fight.

Which is maybe okay, that's a tall enough order and if it involves his friends and allies then it can be plenty satisfying, but a lot of energy's gone into setting up Jack's internal conflict so far and it's hard to say for sure that simply defeating the green samurai was the end of them. Ashi in particular seems to embody this conflict, and I don't think we've seen the last of her challenging Jack's worldview yet.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

reclaim an idealized past vs. work towards a better future

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NowonSA posted:

I mean, I doubt they get into this, but there's all kinds of ways for time travel screwiness to take place. He could beat future Aku, go back to the past a minute after he was sent into the future, then lose to Aku in the past but Aku somehow forgets that, or time travel in itself could create parallel realities so the future people are still saved and exist, but in another timeline he comes back and stops it from happening in that one.

I'm down for him staying in the future, it just seems like the simplest and cleanest way to go, but it also seems a bit too obvious so maybe they'll come up with something that really meshes it all together well. He has been saying he's got to go back to the past the whole series after all, seems a bit odd for that to completely not happen...

Back to the past, back to the way things were, peaceful, I think he's being metaphorical.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Some people were wondering what that creature was that guided Ashi to Jack. I think it's the one that guided Jack in the episode where he was tricked by Aku disguised as a woman.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

What was the episode which opened with Jack fighitng some aliens on flying bug robot things? He saved some, like, chipmunk looking aliens in like five minutes, then walked away and the rest of the episode happened. I was assuming the cloaked creature was one of those chipmunk aliens.

I don't think that was the Arabian-theme episode mentioned above.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bobulus posted:

What was the episode which opened with Jack fighitng some aliens on flying bug robot things? He saved some, like, chipmunk looking aliens in like five minutes, then walked away and the rest of the episode happened. I was assuming the cloaked creature was one of those chipmunk aliens.

I don't think that was the Arabian-theme episode mentioned above.

That's Jack Remembers the Past (which is particularly relevant to themes of the new series, come to think of it). The other thing about that intro is that's where that shot of cats riding on robot grasshoppers in the opening comes from.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in thread that one the endings is a split in the timelines, in which Jack defeats Aku in the past, and Ashi fights Aku in the future. That seems like the most likely ending because they can have it both ways - Jack lives in a peaceful era, but the sacrifices he's made for Ashi and the others aren't erased.
The big thing this season is leading up to is Jack realizing his hatred for Aku has blinded him as much as Ashi's hatred for him blinded her. Jack kind of got there in the last episode, but he's not completely there. The whole point of the episode is that Jack can't really see all the good he's done or that beauty and life cannot be snuffed out by Aku or that the worl Aku indirectly created is still a beautiful one despite Aku's intentions.

Him going back to the best means him not learning that lesson.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm wondering if Jack is going to come to the rationalization that, while Aku is definitely an imbalance in the natural order of things, completely removing his influence on the development of the world by killing him in the past would create an even bigger imbalance. For better or worse, Aku opened the Earth up for technological development, and opened it up to countless worlds across the universe; while many of those newcomers (I.E. Space Russian from last episode) are bad, how many more are people who made a positive impact on the world around them?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Regalingualius posted:

I'm wondering if Jack is going to come to the rationalization that, while Aku is definitely an imbalance in the natural order of things, completely removing his influence on the development of the world by killing him in the past would create an even bigger imbalance. For better or worse, Aku opened the Earth up for technological development, and opened it up to countless worlds across the universe; while many of those newcomers (I.E. Space Russian from last episode) are bad, how many more are people who made a positive impact on the world around them?

Sign me up for the Aku is overall a good influence on the world, right alongside the Empire did nothing wrong.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jack and an army of everyone he has helped beat the poo poo out of future Aku in a truly epic battle, then he waves at the survivors and they say their goodbyes. Maybe he says something about going back to the past to right all of Aku's wrongs, then he jumps through a portal and kills Past Aku. Those are my predictions.

I don't think they'll make a point out of everyone in the future becoming unborn, because in Jack's eyes everything about this future is wrong.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sammus posted:

I don't think they'll make a point out of everyone in the future becoming unborn, because in Jack's eyes everything about this future is wrong.
And this season is literally about how that's an awful worldview.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aku's influence spreads across timelines like the roots of a tree. Wipe out Aku at the source, and all the Akus across the universe wink out of existence for no discernible reason.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Aku's influence spreads across timelines like the roots of a tree. Wipe out Aku at the source, and all the Akus across the universe wink out of existence for no discernible reason.

aku teams up with his past selves

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aku activates Made in Heaven to create his 'True Heaven' where the FOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIOR never existed, but Ashi slips Weather Report's Stand disc into her head and destroys Aku while time accelerates around them.

Ashi then finds herself next to a gas station in Florida where Scotsman is getting thrown off a bus for trying to pay in $100 bills...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

RareAcumen posted:

Too bad about the ludonarrative dissonance.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Oh, poo poo:

http://yaleherald.com/reviews/tv-samurai-jack/

I saw a headline that Samurai Jack was being called out for homophobia, and was trying to guess why.

As we all know, Scaramouche is gay. Even though the show never indicates his sexuality, you can tell from his flamboyant clothing and imitation of a famous, straight actor.

And having a scatting, robot assassin be gay is homophobic because

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But... Scaramouche is great? :psyduck:

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I would gently caress Scaramouche. Does that make me gay?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You ride one talking penis...

Sammus posted:

Jack and an army of everyone he has helped beat the poo poo out of future Aku in a truly epic battle, then he waves at the survivors and they say their goodbyes. Maybe he says something about going back to the past to right all of Aku's wrongs, then he jumps through a portal and kills Past Aku. Those are my predictions.

I think Timeless Appeal's right that they've been building toward the idea that hope lives even in Aku's future. If the original series had concluded normally then they might've done it that way, maybe have Aku destroy the whole world in his final pursuit of Jack so the way is clear for him to go back and undo everything without unintended consequences, but this revival's practically been a deconstruction of the original and its setting.

They've been playing things too seriously to pretend like nobody'd consider the larger implications if Jack simply goes back and defeats Aku without addressing what that does to the future. All the effort put into Ashi in particular pretty much demands either this timeline continue or at least some kind of "split timeline" thing, any ending where Jack defeats Aku in the present with his friends' help then says "welp I'm going back to the past to erase you all from the timestream, peace out" would be crazy whiplash.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Avasculous posted:

Oh, poo poo:

http://yaleherald.com/reviews/tv-samurai-jack/

I saw a headline that Samurai Jack was being called out for homophobia, and was trying to guess why.

As we all know, Scaramouche is gay. Even though the show never indicates his sexuality, you can tell from his flamboyant clothing and imitation of a famous, straight actor.

And having a scatting, robot assassin be gay is homophobic because

No one in tyool 2017 should take an actual headline about a cartoon series seriously or indeed any tv show. :cripes:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dolash posted:

They've been playing things too seriously to pretend like nobody'd consider the larger implications if Jack simply goes back and defeats Aku without addressing what that does to the future.

But it's worth remembering that if he stays in the future, he's essentially saying that his friends are worth more than literally billions of people that he could directly save from lifetimes of torture, slavery, and misery

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This discussion is the reason time travel plots are basically universally ducking stupid no matter what. TIME is not a thing or a place, it's an idea, and you cannot move to different points on an idea.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

This discussion is the reason time travel plots are basically universally ducking stupid no matter what. TIME is not a thing or a place, it's an idea, and you cannot move to different points on an idea.
:goonsay:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

lunchtime

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Bust Rodd posted:

Imagine four samurai on the edge of a cliff...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Basically, it depends on if this series considers a change to the timeline to be a fork, a split into multiple timelines, or an alteration, one timeline that is actually overwritten.

If it's the former, you have two timelines, one where Jack never comes back (and the future Is Aku) where ideally you have Ashi continuing the fight against Aku, and one where Jack does come back and he defeats Aku, saving his elderly parents (and presumably this is 'our' timeline)

If it's the latter, the 'best' way to do things is to handwave it and say that, people like the Scotsman and Ashi would still have been born, but just would have lived different, hopefully happier lives. Hell, they might even live in the real-life 'present', considering we don't know the exact timeframe the 'future' happens in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IronSaber posted:

Imagine four FOOOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIORS on the edge of a cliff...

• Locked thread