Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

You Am I posted:

What about social services for the poor and under employed hahahahahahahaha sorry, drat social conscious
What about our loving veterens even:

https://www.soldieron.org.au/how-we-help/what-we-do/

quote:

Soldier On supports those who have served by focusing on their physical and mental health, their community and their future. We have assisted thousands as they have dealt with physical and psychological wounds from their service.

Click below to find out how we can support you and your family as you journey on your road to recovery.

There is a level of cognitive dissonance going on inside that organisation that is mind boggling. Hardly surprising when it is a narrative driven by the ADF and the Lib/ALP government. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
There's infinite other opportunities to speak out during this horribly misappropriated and jingo'd up day, I don't understand how it's apparently so crazy to suggest that the moment of silence isn't one of them.

Like, it's literally the only instance all day that actually represents war being bad, and some of you are loving looking at this guy using the Westboro Baptist Church methods of protesting at funerals like he's some goddamn martyr? Really?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

meteor9 posted:

There's infinite other opportunities to speak out during this horribly misappropriated and jingo'd up day, I don't understand how it's apparently so crazy to suggest that the moment of silence isn't one of them.

Like, it's literally the only instance all day that actually represents war being bad, and some of you are loving looking at this guy using the Westboro Baptist Church methods of protesting at funerals like he's some goddamn martyr? Really?

Rosa Parks should have given up her seat and written a stern letter to her congressman.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
getting arrested probably won't end up meaning much, just a line on a record somewhere, a badge of honour.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think a moment's silence fetishises war and death, it's the surrounding jingoism and poo poo that makes it that way now. It's meant to be a national day of solemnity and mourning not a loving hell yeah answer to independence day.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Starshark posted:

Rosa Parks should have given up her seat and written a stern letter to her congressman.

You are an enormous false-equivalating shitheel.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Are troops are heroes when convenient but once we're done with them they can just gently caress off to Centrelink like all the other peasants.

On this note the ABC put this up today about a 27 year old that served in Afghanistan and it's worth reading imo

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-25/being-a-war-veteran-at-27/8467046

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yelling like a fuckhead at the dawn service during the moment of silence is completely different to doing it at the footy or some other event. It's an official memorial.

Starshark and his ilk only respect the most edgy and juvenile acts of righteous leftism, so it's no surprise this tool is his unironic new hero.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah why call out the hypocrisy of mourning the awful uselessness of war while still engaged in multiple conflicts? It's entirely in-line with the spirit of ANZAC day and no one's false mourning is more important than preventing even more soldier's useless deaths.

The fact it annoys Australians and is an act of sacrilege is a bonus.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 25, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The dawn service is the only moderately legit memorial of the dead, it's counter productive to attack what is essentially a religious service when the entire day has a thousand other opportunities for protest. Got to get your counter culture edgelord credit though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The time Digiwizzard or whoever it was compared Pauline Hanson to Rosa Parks was better than this instance.

E: lmao at this hero's prevention of further useless deaths

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Yelling like a fuckhead at the dawn service during the moment of silence is completely different to doing it at the footy or some other event. It's an official memorial.

Starshark and his ilk only respect the most edgy and juvenile acts of righteous leftism, so it's no surprise this tool is his unironic new hero.

HARRRUMPH HARRUMPH

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Actually ANZAC Day is very special to me and I cry during the state mandated minute for those men who died fighting the Turk.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah why call out the hypocrisy of mourning the awful uselessness of war while still engaged in multiple conflicts? It's entirely in-line with the spirit of ANZAC day and no one's false mourning is more important than preventing even more soldier's useless deaths.

Marching vets and their families aren't mourning falsely nor are they responsible for current conflicts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am now convinced that disorganised spartacist protest is the future. Thank you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AusPol May: Peter Hore Fan Club

snoremac posted:

Marching vets and their families aren't mourning falsely nor are they responsible for current conflicts.

Nah mate gently caress them they're just asking for the piss to be taken.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 25, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

ftfy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

okay so someone told us that "greens" is an acronym but we can't work it out because the greens don't stand for anything

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Kudelka has gone full FDotM. You never go full FDotM.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/axmcc/status/856737163588755456

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

AusPol May: Peter Hore Fan Club

Nah mate gently caress them they're just asking for the piss to be taken.

Saying 'stop the war' is taking the piss. Hmm. Maybe you should fix your broken brain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

Saying 'stop the war' is taking the piss. Hmm. Maybe you should fix your broken brain.

Interrupting a solemn service to yell and insult the families of the dead is taking the piss. Maybe you need to fix your broken brain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Westboro tactics are ok when they support my world view and there's nothing hosed about that.

- starshark

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Interrupting a solemn service to yell and insult the families of the dead is taking the piss. Maybe you need to fix your broken brain.

It only "insults the famlies" because you buy into the military propaganda. Preventing further deaths honours the dead more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sorry, I did't realise the heroic spartacist yeller at the dawn service had ended war deaths. My mistake. He did it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Westboro tactics are ok when they support my world view and there's nothing hosed about that.

- starshark

Westboro's problem is thar their cause is morally bankrupt, nothing more. Read up on protests from the sufragettes to people pverthrowing the Colonialists. They are always sacreligous, protesting the wrong way, at the wrong time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

You ought to write a furious letter to the editor. Let all hear of this blasphemy!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Sorry, I did't realise the heroic spartacist yeller at the dawn service had ended war deaths. My mistake. He did it.

LOL Rosa Parks never ended racism. Makes you think.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would rather post on something awful about my magnificent purity of ideology and purpose.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Thankfully ANZAC day is completely solemn elsewhere in the country.

https://twitter.com/nadiasdaly/status/856744050614968320

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

LOL Rosa Parks never ended racism. Makes you think.

LOL this guy is equivalent to Rosa Parks, here we go again.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

JBP posted:

I don't see the connection between yelling 'Stop the war' an act that will stop not just the deaths of further servicemen and women, but also the psychological damage it causes them, and the idea that you are insulting the families of the dead.

How is that act an insult to their memory?

On an equally hosed note, the radio had a wonderful little commemoration to ANZAC day and some kid was talking about how she was honouring the ANZAC's for fighting for our freedom in WWI. Am I crazy, or is that not what ANZAC day is about at all? Or the WWI. And I studied history. The Kaiser and the King were cousins, it was definitely not a fight for freedom. Maybe the freedom to oppress the most colonies??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Snowflakes...

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

LOL this guy is equivalent to Rosa Parks, here we go again.

He's comparable. He's fighting against the idea that war is bad, which is a concept to you if no one else.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Please do not selectively quote so people can't get the whole story

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The largest protests in the history of humanity were staged to prevent the Iraq war. It changed nothing. What exactly the gently caress are we supposed to do if we want to support the people who fight and prevent even more from coming home broken for no actual purpose?

Shouting during a minute's silence isn't my choice but please point me to the alternatives so I can do those/that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

I don't see the connection between yelling 'Stop the war' an act that will stop not just the deaths of further servicemen and women, but also the psychological damage it causes them, and the idea that you are insulting the families of the dead.

How is that act an insult to their memory?

Ask the families that say this is an insult I suppose. I agree with the dude, but attacking the moment people have set aside to remember dead friends and relatives isn't going to win over the people that would be your firmest allies. It's a sick freak out though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

He's comparable. He's fighting against the idea that war is bad, which is a concept to you if no one else.

What?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
auspol: #lessweforget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Ask the families that say this is an insult I suppose. I agree with the dude, but attacking the moment people have set aside to remember dead friends and relatives isn't going to win over the people that would be your firmest allies. It's a sick freak out though.

These people being offended now might mean fewer people needing mimutes of silence in future. Look to the greater good.

• Locked thread