Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
One of my favourite work story's to tell was (different company now) when the entire third line support team was full of stoners and the managers were out aside from the pot smoking one. They ended up locking the door to their office and hot boxed it for the afternoon. I was the lone tester for that company and was in the same room.

I don't think I really tested anything properly that day. I definitely had to check it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Why are so many application developers totally incapable of getting search right? Why does this piece of poo poo application I am trying to use not support any way to search for two words that must appear in the results, and instead treats everything as OR, even when surrounded in quotes?

Because when you do get it right, you make a multi-billion dollars company. The rest just make do with what they have.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

Why are so many application developers totally incapable of getting search right? Why does this piece of poo poo application I am trying to use not support any way to search for two words that must appear in the results, and instead treats everything as OR, even when surrounded in quotes?

Hey man, sanitizing inputs is hard, it's way easier to just have search ignore anything not a letter or number.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah, it's never the job, it's the people, that get in the way of OTJ substance abuse.

I did my last couple semesters of CS mostly high, but only because I could hide in my room and pump DnB while I cranked through code.

I made sure to do design and spec sober though.

I wonder if these are related...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

I don't see how anyone could work a real job while high, like there's no loving way I could do mine because if I had to talk to a customer or even co-worker about something it would be awful.

There's definitely a "Ballmer Peak" to being high while dealing with customers. There's a level where you're not so high as to be impaired but are high enough to be in a better mood and shrug off little annoyances.

Just like having a drink with lunch, it's all about moderation. Also like having a drink with lunch, a few irresponsible people have ruined it for their respective groups in a lot of cases.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wolrah posted:

There's definitely a "Ballmer Peak" to being high while dealing with customers. There's a level where you're not so high as to be impaired but are high enough to be in a better mood and shrug off little annoyances.

Just like having a drink with lunch, it's all about moderation. Also like having a drink with lunch, a few irresponsible people have ruined it for their respective groups in a lot of cases.

I used to smoke and wait tables when I was in college. Maybe I'm just not comfortable being around unfamiliar, or less familiar, people when I'm high now whereas before I didn't think about it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

My guess would be NIH

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I am leaving my current job to head off to be a software engineer at a finance group, because gently caress digital agencies for life holy poo poo.

I've only been here six months and in that little time I've had to deal with broken websites, lovely requirements, idiotic clients and batshit retarded management decisions. I'm currently working on a project that doesn't have proper requirements set out because the clients project manager left and a new one came in. Rather than us going "Well we've agreed the following specifications and started development based upon that spec 2 months ago" - because our leaders are retarded and didn't get a proper sign off, they've gone and said "It is absolutely cool to change everything, feel free. We are quite happy to shaft our dev team up the rear end."

So now 2 months of development are irrelevant; the specifications are irrelevant; the sprints are irrelevant. The new designs weren't officially pretty-please finally signed off until three days ago and funnily enough are completely different. What was supposed to be a project that maybe would take a few months to build'n'ship has now become a multi-phase nightmare, with the first version doing the bare minimum and who knows what will happen with the other versions.

There's now a back log of issues that runs into the hundreds - a junk pile of both issue, request and change that utterly destroys any financial gain the company hoped to achieve with this project.

I'd like to say this is limited to this place only, but it really isn't. Agencies are so hellbent on putting all resources into client focus, that 8 or 9 times out of 10 proper requirement planning is never done The project is shoved out half baked because said client focusing people haven't a loving clue about development and dont care, so time scales are always invariably wrong.

I'm going to the dark side and joining the clients. loving hell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Other site gives me a call lovely consumer inkjet they bought hasn't been working for 6 months and they bought a new one. They purchased the last one in December 2015. They need me to install the bloated driver for the new printer scanner poo poo show.

I don't even loving know I'm never going to see this thing and they get a site budget. They are also getting the stuff really really cheap so it might be worth it. Installer is in Spanish, some local company and they fill it with ink by dumping it into the printer. I don't see what the hell they need color for but if I just need to press next a bunch once a year fine. I just can't help but think an M426fdn would be a better match if they don't actually need color.

This site has 5 computers, unknown number of USB printers in working condition since they unplug and plug them in all the time but I have 8 network printers in AD that they insist work but only 2 are not in an error state. They have more printers than computers and rotate them randomly. I don't know what they are doing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

I used to smoke and wait tables when I was in college. Maybe I'm just not comfortable being around unfamiliar, or less familiar, people when I'm high now whereas before I didn't think about it.

Oh yea, in person is another level entirely. My experience is answering tech support calls from home, which is a lot easier. No distractions, no worrying about smell or visual giveaways, just a conversation with the customer and whatever diagnostic tools I have on screen.

I'm barely comfortable at my local bar if I'm more than mildly stoned. I definitely don't think I could do direct face to face interaction.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wolrah posted:

Oh yea, in person is another level entirely. My experience is answering tech support calls from home, which is a lot easier. No distractions, no worrying about smell or visual giveaways, just a conversation with the customer and whatever diagnostic tools I have on screen.

I'm barely comfortable at my local bar if I'm more than mildly stoned. I definitely don't think I could do direct face to face interaction.

I'm incredibly obvious when I'm stoned, to the point that people who don't know usually assume I'm not because no one could be that obvious.

I also can't talk to strangers, like, at all.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RFC2324 posted:

I'm incredibly obvious when I'm stoned, to the point that people who don't know usually assume I'm not because no one could be that obvious.

I also can't talk to strangers, like, at all.

being stoned at work is a young man's game. These days if i smoke the night before, I'll still feel paranoid and out of it at work.

scotch is my newfound love

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

being stoned at work is a young man's game. These days if i smoke the night before, I'll still feel paranoid and out of it at work.

scotch is my newfound love

Never again. The one time I got going on scotch the night before work, I went to work still drunk. The old electrician I was drinking with was right tho, I didn't have a hangover.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I keep trying to like scotch, but it just never happens, I'll try again in a few years and see if my tastes have changed.

The worst wakeup is when I've drank a ton of booze and passed out with my head tilted back. I'll wake up and it feels like I've been on a cruise ship in stormy seas because I'm so loving dizzy and it doesn't go away for hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bunch of no-good burnout slacker hippies in here :bahgawd:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

I keep trying to like scotch, but it just never happens, I'll try again in a few years and see if my tastes have changed.

The worst wakeup is when I've drank a ton of booze and passed out with my head tilted back. I'll wake up and it feels like I've been on a cruise ship in stormy seas because I'm so loving dizzy and it doesn't go away for hours.

Mmm, like whiskey run down a raw oak log.

It is way too easy to drink too much scotch though which puts you in RFCs shoes of not sobering up for a while.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Mmm, like whiskey run down a raw oak log.

It is way too easy to drink too much scotch though which puts you in RFCs shoes of not sobering up for a while.

We drank a bottle of the Glenlivet 15, and then he broke out his bottle of Aberlour 18. I don't remember how much of a dent we put in that, but it was sizable.

I took so much poo poo the next day at the office. I will say it was better than taking that poo poo with a hangover tho.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

We drank a bottle of the Glenlivet 15, and then he broke out his bottle of Aberlour 18. I don't remember how much of a dent we put in that, but it was sizable.

I took so much poo poo the next day at the office. I will say it was better than taking that poo poo with a hangover tho.

Your mistake was drinking with a tradesman.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The heaviest drinkers that I've ever hung out with were field geologists.

I'm a huge fan of multi-barrel scotches. Macallan 12 Triple-cask and Balvanie 10 Doublewood being two of my favorites.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Drinking with a tradesman is never a mistake. They know how to get down, and also have cool stories.

poo poo pissing me off: coworker that sucks at triage and spends 90 minutes spinning his wheels on poo poo we're not even responsible for before FINALLY, after driving himself to the point of near-incoherence with frustration, escalates to the department that probably should have been handling that sort of poo poo in the first place. Meanwhile: customer is getting pissed, customer's customers are getting pissed, the rest of us are picking up his slack, and the other customers on hold are probably also getting pissed and have THEIR customers getting pissed. All because one rear end in a top hat is on a one-man crusade to not escalate or hand off, ever, for some reason. The best part is that we're in a glass-walled room, you can literally see the people that'd he should be passing the ticket to having a drone race or some bullshit.

When you call him on it (as we did about 10 minutes into this call, we very clearly do not support the device in question), he doubles-down. Because now there's a BROKEN SYSTEM, and it's our job to HELP THESE CUSTOMERS NO MATTER WHAT (and not anyone else's, ever, somehow?), and he's the ragtag misfit that JUST MIGHT FIX IT and SHOW THOSE BASTARDS (that won't let him spend 2 hours fixing poo poo that isn't ours) JUST WHAT FER.

He's a nice guy when he's not crusading, but holy gently caress he's killing me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

nominal posted:

Drinking with a tradesman is never a mistake. They know how to get down, and also have cool stories.

poo poo pissing me off: coworker that sucks at triage and spends 90 minutes spinning his wheels on poo poo we're not even responsible for before FINALLY, after driving himself to the point of near-incoherence with frustration, escalates to the department that probably should have been handling that sort of poo poo in the first place. Meanwhile: customer is getting pissed, customer's customers are getting pissed, the rest of us are picking up his slack, and the other customers on hold are probably also getting pissed and have THEIR customers getting pissed. All because one rear end in a top hat is on a one-man crusade to not escalate or hand off, ever, for some reason. The best part is that we're in a glass-walled room, you can literally see the people that'd he should be passing the ticket to having a drone race or some bullshit.

When you call him on it (as we did about 10 minutes into this call, we very clearly do not support the device in question), he doubles-down. Because now there's a BROKEN SYSTEM, and it's our job to HELP THESE CUSTOMERS NO MATTER WHAT (and not anyone else's, ever, somehow?), and he's the ragtag misfit that JUST MIGHT FIX IT and SHOW THOSE BASTARDS (that won't let him spend 2 hours fixing poo poo that isn't ours) JUST WHAT FER.

He's a nice guy when he's not crusading, but holy gently caress he's killing me.

People are bad at decision making. Also, my other non-lead team member is like that, he gets stuck on a single thing and will spend hours, while i have to do all the other work. I mean, it makes me look great, but he should be fired (he's also lazy and pretty incompetent except for a few niche things), and also a lot of work goes undone because I just can't do everything.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

nominal posted:

While I mostly agree, it is kinda nice sometimes to get away from the crap you support 99% of the time and see something new/different to dig into

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

A user was looking for a printer saw that model on the printer next to them was M402n we have 4 of them so far, 2 are in another country. They picked the first one they saw and installed the printer (not in AD, using auto discover, which they can do because personal computer not a work computer).

They just printed 100 pages of confidential information 4,000 miles away and are demanding to know where they printed to and that they need access. After they didn't get it I told them to book a plane ticket or to have someone here translate to Spanish for you and have them locate and shred it. I have no idea what printer this is since this site will factory restore a printer at the smallest sign it's not working so it's the default name. Thank god for DHCP reservations. Yes this is the same site that got a new printer. I also don't know where it is because I've never been there and they physically move printers all the time. They refuse to let me name their stuff "back office printer" and instead want them named impresora - ### so drat if I know if this is Impresora - 015 or Impresora - 022 unless they have another M402.

I hate working with anyone there they refuse to change anything, they also insist on trying to do everything themselves until it asks for admin or they get really really stuck. I also get zero info on anything and getting even the smallest thing takes weeks. I'm surprised it only took me 2 hours on the phone to get them to get the model number of the new printer that is USB only so I could get the driver to install it. Yes I know you don't have a DVD Drive ignore the DVD. Please just throw it out what model printer it is.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nominal posted:

poo poo pissing me off: coworker that sucks at triage and spends 90 minutes spinning his wheels on poo poo we're not even responsible for before FINALLY, after driving himself to the point of near-incoherence with frustration, escalates to the department that probably should have been handling that sort of poo poo in the first place.

Exact opposite here - we've got support desk people that are supposed to escalate up to a pair of dedicated engineers for clients when a situation is out of their hands. Some of these dedicated engineers are assholes and have a tendency to kick tickets back down, even after support people have spent upwards of an hour looking at every possible solution/workaround. Support members get frustrated, complain to management, and management do gently caress all to curb the problem or discipline the rear end in a top hat engineers who don't want to do their job or teach someone how to fix an issue. Over the last year we've lost at least 7 support techs because of 2 or 3 rear end in a top hat engineers, all because their managers don't want to say anything or hold them accountable (primarily because said retard managers let these engineers walk all over them and dictate things).

One of our support team people asked why nobody says/does anything and the manager response was "well, we can't afford to lose any more people and think that disciplining <assholes> will make them quit". Yep, just keep the toxic assholes around so they can keep pushing our good, useful talent out the door, all because management doesn't want to do their loving jobs. Thankfully I've got a couple interviews lined up closer to home doing similar work that's non-MSP related, and they've already screwed me over enough with bullshit politics that when I leave I'm not even giving 2 weeks. Gonna wipe my phone, return all my work stuff, DBAN my work laptop and bounce the gently caress out.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
At my company we have an issue in the same realm as those you two have described: our customer support people escalate issues without providing any information. Ticket reads: "Customers can't do <thing> on their accounts."

Whatever it is it's never field wide, it's always some specific account or type of account. So every single time I have to ask them the same questions: What's the type of account? What is an account number where you've confirmed this is happening? Is there an error number? What are the steps to reproduce the error (with DETAILS)?

We've told them over and over, at the very least provide us with an account number and steps to reproduce, but they can never be bothered. Sometimes they can't be bothered to use complete sentences. If the ticket looks like it contains a complete thought, sometimes we draw the wrong conclusion about what the problem actually is, because again, they don't provide the steps to reproduce.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I used to get upset about our escalation team kicking back tickets, then I saw some of the tickets our techs put in:

quote:

seems liket he same issue as ticket 12345, she opens an email and gets an error

I'd kick that back too.

The problem is the stupid escalation manager will kick poo poo back out of what seems like petty spite. I put in a bug report for the new version of one of our products regarding a feature that only exists on the new version of the product and clearly stating it occurs only in the new version. She kicked it back to me because there's this secret extra field in her lovely bespoke artisanal classic asp bug tracker that only appears and can only be edited after you actually save the ticket, that pulls from our horribly out of date client database that says they client's running version $current-2, so clearly I haven't established what version the issue occurs on. :bang:

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 22, 2017

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Developer gave out staff wireless password to a bunch of clients on site. Now I have 30 random devices on part of our secure network that I can't blacklist because "boo hoo my clients".

Joke's on them, I just needed an excuse to sit down and set up MFA and automatic blacklisting for anything that isn't running our MDM software, turns out calling me at 9am on a Saturday with this poo poo was that excuse.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

Developer gave out staff wireless password to a bunch of clients on site. Now I have 30 random devices on part of our secure network that I can't blacklist because "boo hoo my clients".

Joke's on them, I just needed an excuse to sit down and set up MFA and automatic blacklisting for anything that isn't running our MDM software, turns out calling me at 9am on a Saturday with this poo poo was that excuse.

The only wireless passwords our staff has are for the guest networks, which they have to generate, and expire in one or thirty days, depending on the network.

I have to make the occasional exception, but it's rare, and never outside of normal business hours.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 22, 2017

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

nominal posted:

I had to give my team one of those talks recently; don't try to be a hero or go it alone. We have a 8 person contractor support team, two FTEs team members, a few contractor developers, and a Microsoft Premier Support contract which costs us a boat-load of money each year. If you can't find the answer in the first go round of our KB or by googling, start asking the rest of the team and if no one else knows open a MS case. It is their product let them help figure it out.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
poo poo that pisses me off: my immediate superior/senior colleque (who is not my actual boss). I started in this service desk in January and this person sits right next to me and was supposed to brief me in on how to do my job. Since I started he has briefed me, but just about everything he says is super caustic, sarcastic unprofessional bullshit. The company I work for has employees all over the world, dozens of programs used by the employees (+10 CAD programs alone) and a huge amount of special circumstances you simply have to know (this program, if installed on the computers of employees in country X will only work under these circumstances, if they sit in country Y everything is different). Almost none of this is documented at all, except in personal notes kept by the other members of the team. We have a wiki, but it contains very little information, let alone the instructions I would need to do my drat job. For many things I need to ask this dude for information, which he alone knows. Pretty much anything he says begins with "well well well, haven't you learned anything?" or "use your f*cking common sense..." I can't not ask him, since only he knows these things and I need these bits of obscure knowledge to troubleshoot the problems I run into daily. Thankfully I only have about 2 months remaining in this contract and I have learned very many things about AD and other stuff that will help me get a better job, but I sure hope I will never have to see his smug, unhelpful bastard of a face again after that. Petty, unprofessional condescending bullshit from the person who is supposed to instruct new employees is so frustrating and strange. Small wonder my predecessor left suddenly and after giving the absolute minimum notice that you legally must, around here.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

The only wireless passwords our staff has are for the guest networks, which they have to generate, and expire in one or thirty days, depending on the network.

I have to make the occasional exception, but it's rare, and never outside of normal business hours.

Part of our MFA includes authenticating via RADIUS (finally) so if someone is actually full-bore pants on head retarded enough to sign an outside party in with their company credentials it will be a guaranteed resume generating event and thus eventually the problem will sort itself out.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 23, 2017

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
got a raise & promotion to engineer at work, so, I'm feeling pretty proud of myself

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tomapot posted:

I had to give my team one of those talks recently; don't try to be a hero or go it alone. We have a 8 person contractor support team, two FTEs team members, a few contractor developers, and a Microsoft Premier Support contract which costs us a boat-load of money each year. If you can't find the answer in the first go round of our KB or by googling, start asking the rest of the team and if no one else knows open a MS case. It is their product let them help figure it out.

This but us: you pay us a minimum if $15,000 a month for enterprise support. you are constantly complaining about blockers and yet you opened a whopping twenty support cases last quarter and I, as your support point of contact for case escalations, have been begging you to use us more.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Agrikk posted:

This but us: you pay us a minimum if $15,000 a month for enterprise support. you are constantly complaining about blockers and yet you opened a whopping twenty support cases last quarter and I, as your support point of contact for case escalations, have been begging you to use us more.

drat, if I was paying $15k/month for support, I'm sending you anything more complicated than a password reset, just to get my money's worth.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Google maps works fast...

Our new branch location that just broke ground 3 weeks ago is already appearing on Google Maps as a business and under the correct category.

I did nothing to make it appear either. Hadn't added it to our Google Business account yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ataxerxes posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: my immediate superior/senior colleque (who is not my actual boss). I started in this service desk in January and this person sits right next to me and was supposed to brief me in on how to do my job. Since I started he has briefed me, but just about everything he says is super caustic, sarcastic unprofessional bullshit.

Might be worth telling him to stop being a dick, tbh.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

dogstile posted:

Might be worth telling him to stop being a dick, tbh.

Yeah, my probationary period on the job ended about a week ago, so I couldn't get instantly fired anymore. On the other hand I have a better job in sights and this contract only lasts to the end of June, so I try to keep my cool and concentrate on doing my job, hopefully getting a good reference from my actual bosses and moving on without burning bridges. If I didn't sit right next to him I wouldn't need to talk to him almost at all, but I do.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Our Exchange server was down for most of the day today. Good thing nothing important is goin- oh wait it's finals week.

Who would have guessed that instructors aren't exactly happy when they can't email their students?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
We're currently upgrading out ticketing system, and it's.. a smooth process.

It rare to find a gem like this, but I'm actually enjoying the whole thing. The company was proactive and set a realistic schedule for upgrades. The tech is great to talk to, and knows his poo poo - including the pitfalls we encounter. Now we're on the last leg of the upgrade, and it's barely 1pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Some days I just have to remind myself that eventually, all the old people who can't use a computer will die.

Then I remember just because you're a millennial doesn't mean you can use a computer.