Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A friend of mine was murdered. Please come to her memorial and yell murder is bad. Another friend was killed in a drink driving accident where he was drinking. Please come and yell drink driving is bad at that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Why will a whole bunch of people who didn't know our care for your friends go to the funeral?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Because the more spartacism we have the less death there is.

I might walk in thinking dying to a murderer is good or that drink driving is good, but the yelling man will make me understand it is bad.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 25, 2017

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

A friend of mine was murdered. Please come to her memorial and yell murder is bad. Another friend was killed in a drink driving accident where he was drinking. Please come and yell drink driving is bad at that as well.

People think war is good otherwise we wouldn't keep going to war on the thinnest pretext. We're on the verge of war with North Korea because we think we are just and good and the way to express this is via mass violence. I also don't think people yelling "drink driving is bad" at a funeral would meet the objection you think it would.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That man yelled stop the war. Well Mildred, I'd never even thought of that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't attended an ANZAC anything since I took the uniform off quite a few years ago. gently caress jingoistic nationalism.

That being said I wouldn't barge in and yell out like a yobbo either. Let people who are interested do their thing. They aren't hurting anyone.

Maybe the trick for people in general is "don't be a dickhead" but I realise that as an Australian this is like asking people not to breathe.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I hate the jingoism of ANZAC Day but feel there are better avenues for protest than veteran walks, like the photo-ops of chickenhawk politicans, or anywhere where veterans aren't commemorating. My uncle is a Vietnam vet who takes the commemoration very personally and gets emotional remembering things. Despite the lovely patriotism infecting the day I think there's still room to speak out against it while respecting the space of soldiers who get something out of the service.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Given how much the LNP and media have screamed about 18C and how hard it has been pushed for in parliament it does seem that screaming works. Feel free to swap 18C with lower company taxes or what ever. I'm glad you are coming around to see this. Welcome comrade.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Just lol if you don't think people have forgotten we're at war.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark doesn't understand that yelling stop the war at a dude in tears because he saw a friend get his face torn off might be bad and thinks that yelling stop drink driving at a memorial for a drink driver would get a round of applause.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best part about yelling at what are essentially now civilians and/or grunts is they are wholly uninvolved with the decision making processes that lead to armed conflicts.

Want to protest war? Great. Go to Canberra. JUST Canberra. If you can't figure out the address by yourself then you've got no hope and may as well pack it in.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Starshark doesn't understand that yelling stop the war at a dude in tears because he saw a friend get his face torn off might be bad and thinks that yelling stop drink driving at a memorial for a drink driver would get a round of applause.

Such harrumph, wow.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

You still don't understand protest. That's really all that's stopping understanding here.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

You still don't understand protest. That's really all that's stopping understanding here.

It helps if you protest to the right people though.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DancingShade posted:

The best part about yelling at what are essentially now civilians and/or grunts is they are wholly uninvolved with the decision making processes that lead to armed conflicts.

Want to protest war? Great. Go to Canberra. JUST Canberra. If you can't figure out the address by yourself then you've got no hope and may as well pack it in.

Write a stern letter to your local member. Indeed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Please tell me more about misunderstanding protest as someone who has run multiple labour strikes and organised/marshalled anti WTO and internment rallies.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
War is bad but so is acting like an rear end in a top hat during a memorial? I mean I'm no fancy city protester but maybe settle down a bit.

Or keep chasing ideological extremes until you piss off everyone around you. You do you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There's no point "protesting" without a plan to win or an ask that isn't some broad hippie poo poo like "stop the war".

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

There's no point "protesting" without a plan to win or an ask that isn't some broad hippie poo poo like "stop the war".

Plenty of people protest without a plan. Sorry that life can't be contained in a spreadsheet as you like.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
News Corpse have blown $1m trying to prove that they're not lying sacks of poo poo who will gently caress people over out of spite and failed to achieve that in the slightest

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

Plenty of people protest without a plan. Sorry that life can't be contained in a spreadsheet as you like.

This doesn't make sense. Planning to win on an issue is crucial if you want an outcome. What you're espousing is idiotic spartacism and then comparing this dude to Rosa Parks who stood up for her specific interest group (as an accidental hero might I add) in a fevered environment, while a movement and support network operated around her, even if she wasn't an official of it or whatever.

Also well done trying to tell me how I view life and invoking the spectrum.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

Write a stern letter to your local member. Indeed.

I said go to Canberra not write a letter.

Armchair activism is passive aggressive junk. You may as well write a blog about how your favorite video game isn't pure to the original spirit of the first one released in 1995. Nobody cares.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
let's just can the whole thing

https://newmatilda.com/2016/04/24/anzac-day-weve-said-thanks-enough-its-time-to-move-on/

or maybe if we organise enough people to turn ANZAC day into a memorial for the Frontier wars the right wing will can it for us

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

This doesn't make sense. Planning to win on an issue is crucial if you want an outcome. What you're espousing is idiotic spartacism and then comparing this dude to Rosa Parks who stood up for her specific interest group (as an accidental hero might I add) in a fevered environment, while a movement and support network operated around her, even if she wasn't an official of it or whatever.

Also well done trying to tell me how I view life and invoking the spectrum.

You don't get life as it's lived by real people. We don't all live life like Bobby Fishcer thinking six moves ahead. Parks certainly didn't count on MLK taking up her cause when she said 'no'.
Also, no idea where you got autism from my post. Do you need someone to reach out?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"News Corp declined to comment." :lol:

Nothing like a news outlet with nothing to say.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

You don't get life as it's lived by real people.

I'm not a real person :lol:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/apr/25/manus-island-police-chief-says-he-has-not-been-contacted-by-peter-dutton-or-his-staff

The potato king just keeps hitting those home runs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man yelling at Anzac service most salt of the earth real person.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

I'm not a real person :lol:

You've never done anything without the direction of your higher-ups, so yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Your idea of protest is a man with no affectation or symbolism yelling and you make personal assumptions about people on the internet. So good one I guess?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know it's funny how much Peter Dutton embodies the Peter Principle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Real people are the ones that have "done anything without the direction of your higher-ups" what planet do you live on?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Your idea of protest is a man with no affectation or symbolism yelling and you make personal assumptions about people on the internet. So good one I guess?

You're as establishment as gently caress - it's an easy assumption to make.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
This is a really fascinating slap fight, guys. Do go on for a few more pages.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/TurnbullMalcolm/status/1059436604

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

STOP THE lovely POSTS

STOP THE lovely POSTS

Am I protesting right

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Korgan posted:

STOP THE lovely POSTS

STOP THE lovely POSTS

Am I protesting right

no because you're actually addressing the people making the lovely posts, not screaming at their grieving family

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

On the other hand, she is an idiot who seriously claimed a religion was both democratic and feminist, so it's really hard to feel sorry for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, she is a vapid idiot who seriously claimed a religion was both democratic and feminist, so it's really hard to feel sorry for her

Oh please, tell me more.

• Locked thread