Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
C: Rabies Shot

I am really curious what kind of madness the Capellans have in their spooky black box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

A war criminal hero we can all get behind!

D

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
C: Operation Rabies Shot

I want to see Cappies get nuked, but I really want to see Alpha Strike. Hard choice!

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

drat, that's an incredibly hard choice between the first three!

I guess I'll vote C, because it involves cappies getting kicked in the shins a little, hopefully. Really hoping for A and B to stick around for the next round, but if not, c'est la vie.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's an incredibly hard choice but I'll go for C because it gives us a chance to try the alpha strike system and possible use of nuclear weapons at the same time.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

The CapCon has been left alone for far, far too long.

Time to pull back the veil and see what fresh hell has been brewing.

Edit:

It just occurred to me that a rabies shot is only effective before the animal shows symptoms.

Being that Justin Xiang and company (i.e., the entire CapCon) are already 'rabid dogs', the only shot to be administered in fact from the muzzle of a gun.

This is an extermination; we're putting down the entire pack, once and for all.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 25, 2017

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

CourValant posted:

The CapCon has been left alone for far, far too long.

Time to pull back the veil and see what fresh hell has been brewing.

Voting C. for exactly the same reason. When we last saw them, the Cappies were getting up to some really interesting stuff, and I want to see how it's developed.

Getting to see Alpha Strike in action is just gravy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Friar John posted:

I want to see Cappies get nuked, but I really want to see Alpha Strike. Hard choice!

Well, good news! You just voted for both!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I vote C.

Interested to see what the Clan Space Wizards Society has been up to.

Clan Space Wizard
No sense of right and wrong!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Voting's pretty well done, and I promise I'm not faffing about. The map's finished, now I'm just settling on a scale.

Here's your obligatory preview heat map.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 27, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nice and cozy. A great place for a picnic or possibly shooting lasers at Amaris or Cappies.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

C won hands down, so we're going to kill Cappies.

Better not lose this one, so we can trade evil Chinamen for Imperial Space Texas.

Though I do wonder, these minor powers seem to be very easily manipulated by Comstar, even if they're using the truth.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 27, 2017

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

RA Rx posted:

Though I do wonder, these minor powers seem to be very easily manipulated by Comstar, even if they're using the truth.

jihad.jpg

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I know everyone's expecting to play as the Taurians but I'm wondering if the players will be Capellans instead.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
. . . all along the watchtower . . .

There are patrol boats right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't normally post it before the actual mission intro, but I'm taking extra care to make sure the fight is going to be interesting/balanced and I really like the way the map came out, so here you go.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Really nice looking map, should make for some good knife-fighting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Also, keep in mind: Alpha Strike is Different.

How different? The SHD-2H and -2D2 Shadow Hawks are good. The -2D is still trash though.

Don't be surprised if something like a Vindicator or a Blackjack carries the fight.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Extra care on the balance? Aww man, my poor Space Chinamen and their robots are hosed.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I've been reading up on Alpha Strike, and even bought the main book. Looking forwards to seeing how the differences play out, aside from possibly making PTN's job easier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Extra care on the balance? Aww man, my poor Space Chinamen and their robots are hosed.

It's really a question of "how many Urbanmechs should I try to fit in?"

The answer was '3'

Urbanmechs aren't that bad in Alpha Strike. I mean, you still don't want to try to make a cross-country run in one, but they can actually be dangerous even without double blind rules.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 27, 2017

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I'm curious to see how Alpha Strike is played, since I've never actually seen a game of it before now

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
This is a really cool map. I might just finally take the time to learn the map editor to try and recreate this for my own skirmishes.

Played Alpha Strike one time at PAX and thought it was pretty cool.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out in this play format.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't normally post it before the actual mission intro, but I'm taking extra care to make sure the fight is going to be interesting/balanced and I really like the way the map came out, so here you go.

. . . seven roads in, seven roads out . . .

Its a really nice map, the effort certainly shows.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Urbanmechs aren't that bad in Alpha Strike. I mean, you still don't want to try to make a cross-country run in one, but they can actually be dangerous even without double blind rules.

The redemption of the noble Urbie!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Coffeehitler posted:

The redemption of the noble Urbie!

Oh no. No, no. They're not good, either, it's just possible to make them slightly less bad. They still die instantly the moment anything takes a shot at them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh no. No, no. They're not good, either, it's just possible to make them slightly less bad. They still die instantly the moment anything takes a shot at them.

... and the Cappies have been saddled with 3 of them? :ohdear:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, but these are probably AI controlled society tech Urbies or something. iATM-9s and NOVA CEWS, and whatever other toys they can come up with.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zaodai posted:

Who says it's the Cappies that have 'em? :getin:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah, but these are probably AI controlled society tech Urbies or something. iATM-9s and NOVA CEWS, and whatever other toys they can come up with.

That would be wonderful, an Urbie with a 2500BV.

So, assuming there will be a primer for those unfamiliar with Alpha Strike?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CourValant posted:

Even with society toys, an Urbie cannot hit 2500BV without a P1G1 pilot or better. The sole survivor AI was that good, but I don't think the Cappies are going to build a dropship-sized computer for every Urbie.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

golden bubble posted:

Even with society toys, an Urbie cannot hit 2500BV without a P1G1 pilot or better. The sole survivor AI was that good, but I don't think the Cappies are going to build a dropship-sized computer for every Urbie.

If anyone would, it would be the Cappies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

golden bubble posted:

Just use the Society's dumb all in one ewar thingo that weighs barely anything and watch the C3 network run your bv through the roof.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, in their "we outnumber you" lance.

As if Romano Liao would give the St. Ives Lancers too much of the good stuff.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

As if Romano Liao would give the St. Ives Lancers too much of the good stuff.

So, the Lancers are no longer the elite showpiece of the CapCon?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I can't wait to see what the 4th mech that makes up Garbage Lance is. :v:

A stock Locust or something. Shittier than a Savannah Master!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CourValant posted:

http://d15yciz5bluc83.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/AlphaStrikeQuick-Start-Rules.pdf?bab45d is the quick start guide.

Linked from the Battletech forum so... I have to assume it's legit.

I'm sure people who have played it can give a better idea how it plays - it seems to cut down on the bookkeeping CBT requires a lot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CourValant posted:

. . . all along the watchtower . . .

There are patrol boats right?

and wildcats?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

A stock Locust or something.

The stock Locust is a very good `Mech in Alpha Strike. I legitimately bring them to games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm sure people who have played it can give a better idea how it plays - it seems to cut down on the bookkeeping CBT requires a lot.

I just skimmed the Quick Start Guide, and it seems surprisingly balanced, with a slight nerfing of physical attacks causing critical hits. Should be fun to see.

• Locked thread