Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually if nobody else can see your hair it'd probably just be buzzed short for convenience wouldn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordaedil posted:

I look forward to the eventual reveal that he was once a doctor that was happily married, but after an accident had to perform surgery on his wife, but ended up performing malpractice because he wasn't allowed to use his quirck as its restricted to heroes legally.

Or something to make him sympathetic.

but we know what he was

he's a yakuza member

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

but we know what he was

he's a yakuza member

But was he born into it or did he join and take over, Joker style?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

Her invisibility is unrelated to the use of her quirk. It's like Tokoyami's bird head.

So Hagakure just has superpowers that are unrelated to her quirk, which seems to be light manipulation, and thus would seem like they'd actually be super related to her quirk?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I was going to type something like 'now I hope that Hagakure does the slow-mo 'noooooo I'll save you!' thing so we can get all of this invisibility stuff over with' except then my brain went on to the logical conclusion and came upon the disturbing question of 'if the Doctor can't see her injuries, how are they going to fix her?'

Now I hope we never find out. In that way at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The dart works similar Aizama's powers. It stops all active use of your quirk, so if you have a passive, visual effect that should maintain. If you have a tail, you'll still have a tail but it will essentially just be a dead appendage that you can't make do anything.

Cero's elbows would still look like tape dispenser, but there will be no tape. Kirashima wouldn't be able to harden but would still have shark teeth. Pony would still have horns but they'd just be horns.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

But was he born into it or did he join and take over, Joker style?

I'm not sure how that kind of takeover would work, since the yakuza had the same theoretically legal status back then that they have in real-world Japan today.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a fantasy comic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Slime posted:

So Hagakure just has superpowers that are unrelated to her quirk, which seems to be light manipulation, and thus would seem like they'd actually be super related to her quirk?

My theory's still that her quirk is manipulating light and her whole body's transparent so she can actually do that. Like how Baukugo has super tough palms so he doesn't hurt himself with his explosions, but his palms aren't his quirk, or Mina's purple skin being a side effect of hers.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mordaedil posted:

It's a fantasy comic.

That nonetheless tries to minimize using that fact as a crutch.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

My theory's still that her quirk is manipulating light and her whole body's transparent so she can actually do that. Like how Baukugo has super tough palms so he doesn't hurt himself with his explosions, but his palms aren't his quirk, or Mina's purple skin being a side effect of hers.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Invisibility isn't her quirk, it's just an application/side effect of her quirk which is manipulating light. Except her quirk might not even be manipulating light. Visible light after all is just electromagnetic radiation. It was brought up at one point that identifying what a quirk actually does is an ongoing process and records get updated as new information about someone's quirk gets found out. Hagakure's quirk could extend to radiowaves, microwaves, ultraviolet light and so on, with the light manipulaton we've so far as just an application of electromagnetic wave manipulation. That would explain how she managed to take out a bunch of robots in her entry exam.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Shigaraki's quirk had to have really sucked to grow up with until he managed to break the previously formed instinct to grab things with all the fingers on your hand. Like you develop a quirk at some point in life after you figure out all the normal coordination stuff so :smith:

I think that it would be easy to get around once it was discovered, just by giving him some sort of special gloves that aren't a single continuous object.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I am surprised that Hagakure gets more discussion than 90% of the cast despite doing almost nothing and showing barely any personality in the entire series.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Slime posted:

I'm thinking along the same lines. Invisibility isn't her quirk, it's just an application/side effect of her quirk which is manipulating light. Except her quirk might not even be manipulating light. Visible light after all is just electromagnetic radiation. It was brought up at one point that identifying what a quirk actually does is an ongoing process and records get updated as new information about someone's quirk gets found out. Hagakure's quirk could extend to radiowaves, microwaves, ultraviolet light and so on, with the light manipulaton we've so far as just an application of electromagnetic wave manipulation. That would explain how she managed to take out a bunch of robots in her entry exam.

Yeah but her ability to manipulate being limited to wavelengths that just happens to be visible light seems fine. That same kind of limitation is why we only see visible light, after all.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I am surprised that Hagakure gets more discussion than 90% of the cast despite doing almost nothing and showing barely any personality in the entire series.

Eh, she was the obvious choice to talk about when quirk destroying/nullifying came up. From there the conversation just carried on.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Eh, she was the obvious choice to talk about when quirk destroying/nullifying came up. From there the conversation just carried on.

Yeah, it's reasonable here, but it's something that comes up disproportionately. I just reread the manga and was startled by some classmates not doing anything. There's people in class B, like Tetsutetsu, Big Hands girl and Hitoshi, who've done more and have more personality than some people in class A. I literally forgot about the Sugar guy since the only thing he's really done is bake a cake in the dorm competition, Ojiro is a background character and Hagakure and Sero were kind of cool in the license tournament. It's probably just a matter of time until they get their time in the spotlight, considering how rad Kaminari and Kirishima got to be recently.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think Horikoshi has plans to give all of class A (and class B) their time in the spotlight, but the main plot has to keep chugging. Personally I'd be way more into just doing stuff with the whole cast all the time but they're almost certainly going to get some focus eventually

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, like sure, characters like Koji and Rikido haven't really done much yet but it's really only a matter of time. Most of Class A's had time to shine at one point or another now, even without being involved with Deku, so I'd be more surprised than not if the next thing of importance to happen didn't include one or two folks who've been mostly chilling in the background.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Yeah, it's reasonable here, but it's something that comes up disproportionately. I just reread the manga and was startled by some classmates not doing anything. There's people in class B, like Tetsutetsu, Big Hands girl and Hitoshi, who've done more and have more personality than some people in class A. I literally forgot about the Sugar guy since the only thing he's really done is bake a cake in the dorm competition, Ojiro is a background character and Hagakure and Sero were kind of cool in the license tournament. It's probably just a matter of time until they get their time in the spotlight, considering how rad Kaminari and Kirishima got to be recently.

Yeah but at least her character gimmick of "Invisible Girl who just wants to be noticed" is endearing. I think that also helps people latch on -- they want to see her do something interesting or cool because her gimmick is funny and other characters have gotten plenty of screen time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
She's also the most mysterious classmate both because we're not 100% sure what her quirk is and how it relates to her invisibility. Thus fueling the speculation train.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah but at least her character gimmick of "Invisible Girl who just wants to be noticed" is endearing. I think that also helps people latch on -- they want to see her do something interesting or cool because her gimmick is funny and other characters have gotten plenty of screen time.

Does she just want to be noticed? I didn't think that was part of her character, she seems to be friends with most of the cast.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

She's also the most mysterious classmate both because we're not 100% sure what her quirk is and how it relates to her invisibility. Thus fueling the speculation train.

Plus there's a reasonable chance she's the mole.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Where's the traitor

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Aurora posted:

Where's the traitor

its me

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I knew it

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ojiro's tail has a secondary brain, and is the traitor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just here to say, the official translation has nothing of this sort. It says that it's hard for him to move when he's in his hardened state.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Just here to say, the official translation has nothing of this sort. It says that it's hard for him to move when he's in his hardened state.

In the raw/Japanese Jump there's a line, 'ichibu towazu,' which I think translates to something like 'regardless of one part' rather than 'with the exception of one part' which may make it still a joke but less up front than it's been translated. I have to reread it though, I don't have the issue with me at the moment.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Man, the sooner Hagakure gets hit with one of those quirk-cancelling darts, the sooner we can end this debate.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does she just want to be noticed? I didn't think that was part of her character, she seems to be friends with most of the cast.

Hagakure makes a big deal of wanting to stand out at the Sports Festival in the anime. Its part of the extra focus the rest of the class has been getting in the anime, but I think it's there in the manga too. The anime is just making a much bigger show of it, since its not relegated to a single word bubble in a single panel, and instead given 15 seconds of airtime as part of a conversation with some other students.

She is definitely friends with the entirety of Class A, but her biggest character trait right now is that she likes to show off, stand out, and look cool, but is shackled with being invisible.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She did a lot of fretting over being noticed by fans and big name hero agencies because of how subtle and easy to overlook her powers made her. Especially in the skinsuit teacher's class.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

kidcoelacanth posted:

Personally I'd be way more into just doing stuff with the whole cast all the time but they're almost certainly going to get some focus eventually

AFO and the league of villains get defeated early into Deku's second year and the rest of the manga is just a slice of life ensemble story.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I kinda really hope that a sort of Full Metal Panic Fumoffu thing happens where there's a slice-of-life gaiden story that Horikoshi writes to recharge his batteries in between dramatic plot arcs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Izuku's third year is going to start with Hogwarts Yuuei being taken over by the resurgent AFO as he completes his conquest of Japan, thus beginning the Villain Academy story arc.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vengarr posted:

Izuku's third year is going to start with Hogwarts Yuuei being taken over by the resurgent AFO as he completes his conquest of Japan, thus beginning the Villain Academy story arc.

He devises a bunch of tests that they are rigged for them to fail and get expelled, but they are such good heroes that they keep passing them anyway.

Then AFO's daughter defects and starts helping the heroes in their revolution against Central an- wait what series is this again?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Begemot posted:

He devises a bunch of tests that they are rigged for them to fail and get expelled, but they are such good heroes that they keep passing them anyway.

Then AFO's daughter defects and starts helping the heroes in their revolution against Central an- wait what series is this again?
A far superior plot than Shokugeki no Soma.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At least it ain't Freaks Squeele.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

AFO and the league of villains get defeated early into Deku's second year and the rest of the manga is just a slice of life ensemble story.

I want this. I also want "Deku and friends go on a trip to the USA"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Begemot posted:

Considering this particular turn is the worst part of Souma I'd hope not.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

I want this. I also want "Deku and friends go on a trip to the USA"

I want the #1 hero from the US to be a superpowerful Otaku who names his moves after Japanese prefectures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I want the #1 hero from the US to be a superpowerful Otaku who names his moves after Japanese prefectures.

Come to think of it, there are a lotta One Punch Man fans in the US.