Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Speedboat Jones posted:

In the almost a year we've had her we've noticed that she must have kind of extreme separation anxiety.

Get Patricia McConnell's booklet I'll Be Home Soon and follow every single direction. It does take a lot of time but it works. Your dog may need meds in conjunction with the training, but in our dog's case the meds lowered her appetite and made training harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

It will be six months this weekend since I got my dog. We've been doing great. This is my first dog ever and I think she's amazing.

I do have one thing I want to work on with her and I'm not sure how to start. Sometimes when we go some place new, she'll get utterly terrified, freak out and try to run away. She's about 50lbs so she's too big for me pick up but at least she's not too pick to drag me around.

She's fine in the apartment and walking around the complex but it's like there is an invisible line that we can't cross. She'll put on the brakes and just stand there. I can convince her to follow me, because she's a good girl, but she'll creep along the ground until we go too far, then she'll freak out.

She rides in the car just fine and I can take her to the dog park, friends houses, parents houses, basically places I go repeatedly and stay for long enough for her to get comfortable. All of those places either have a dog for her to play with or my mom to give her all the treats. We can go hiking too.

I'd like to be able to take her walking around city parks, or different neighborhoods, or maybe eventually take her jogging. Right now it's kind of a miserable experience for both of us.

I've tried to use treats but she is absolutely not interested when we're some place strange. Sometimes she'll be more relaxed when we go some place with other dogs but that's the only thing I've noticed that helps.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Speedboat Jones posted:

I'm having a lot of problems with a dog (we think it's a beagle/lab mix, but we're not entirely sure) I got from the shelter last summer. She's a little bit over a year old at this point according to the information at the shelter.

In the almost a year we've had her we've noticed that she must have kind of extreme separation anxiety. A few of the big problems we've noticed so far:
  • Cries when isolated from us. In a crate, in the back yard with the door closed, left outside a room of the house we're in with the door closed, etc.
  • Very clingy. If my other dog is snuggling with me she tries to shove herself in there.
  • Serious issues with potty training. After all this time she's still peeing and pooping in the house no matter what we've tried to do.
  • Leash aggression out the wahzoo. It goes beyond just barking at another dog, it sounds like she's having a total meltdown.
  • Skiddish and fearful of new humans that aren't my wife or me.
  • Digging holes in the back yard while I'm at work, and just today ripping off a sprinkler head and flooding a section of the yard.

There's a couple things I think I should mention. We were living in an apartment when we first got her and just recently moved into a house. I thought having a yard would be better for her potty issues and being able to run around in the back yard with our other dog, and it was going fairly well the first week of living here, but now she's destroying the back yard and trying to dig a hole to the next yard over. I have gotten her trained before, some basic leash and walking training, and that was helping while the classes were still going on, but she's slipping back into her bad habits and full-on anxiety attacks.

My wife is now saying that we probably need to take her back to the shelter because the dog seems like a kinda we just can't handle. We've guessed that it might be a case of a puppy taken from the mother too soon and there being a ton of psychological problems stemming from that, but we just don't know.

Sounds like a lot of insecurity issues - separation anxiety and reactivity stem from there. She needs confidence building.
I'd see an experienced VETERINARY behaviorist near you if you're willing. I'd only return her to the shelter if it's no -kill, often a shelter return is a death sentence so might as well euthanize her where she's comfortable.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Any tips on washing saliva stains out of a white, short-haired dog's coat? Google is telling me hydrogen peroxide on the fur & and adding a little cider vinegar to the water bowl. The former sounds like torture, and the latter sounds like holistic bullshit but I'd be thrilled to find out I'm wrong about either.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Neither of those sound awful. I don't know specifics with respect cleaning dog fur. My dog is dirt colored so I've never researched anything like this.

They're talking about the topical hydrogen peroxide used for cleaning wounds. It has a pretty low concentration. Not the peroxide hair bleaching strength. Topical hydrogen peroxide can dry skin and potentially damage hair if you use a whole bunch. Just wiping stains off of fur sounds safe to me. Just rinse with water after.

Vinegar is mildly acidic and can be used to clean fabrics. It won't hurt to ingest small amounts. My grandmother used to use it to clean her kitchen. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to smell and taste better but I still think it smells terrible. Some people don't mind it.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What are the current recommendations on insurance? I have an 8-month old Great Dane and a 3-year old mutt chihuahua mix.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GoodBee posted:

Apple cider vinegar is supposed to smell and taste better but I still think it smells terrible. Some people don't mind it.

My wife's side of the family straight drinks it as a beverage from time to time. It's not altogether unpleasant.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Horse shampoo for white horses. Amazon has tester bottles which are actually regular bottles rather than 5l.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

My wife's side of the family straight drinks it as a beverage from time to time. It's not altogether unpleasant.

:gonk:

poo poo and i thought my nordic thing for pickled fish was weird.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Question: This past weekend my 11 month old hound mix was clearly having issues with her back end, to the point that she licked herself raw. We also noticed an odor and so Monday morning I brought her to the vet. The vet (not her usual vet) examined her and discovered that one of her anal glands was infected. He expressed the gland, gave her an antibiotic for the infection and some ointment for the affected area, and a biscuit for being a good girl. Since then, while she certainly appears to be feeling better and for the most part leaving the area alone, we've seen several instances of relatively large amounts of clear/pale yellow fluid left behind where she was lying down or sitting. Is this normal after an expression? When I say "large amounts", I'm guessing at least a few tablespoons worth or more; enough where at first I though it might be a small pee accident, which would be highly unusual as her constitution is rock solid. She's never once had an accident in the house since we brought her home in November. The fluid itself has next to no odor, at least that I can smell. I thought maybe at first it was the antibiotic itself, but it's been a few days now. She otherwise seems fine and happy and shows no signs of discomfort when pooping. Is this normal or should I be concerned and take her back to the vet if it continues?

Obligatory picture:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

beergod posted:

What are the current recommendations on insurance? I have an 8-month old Great Dane and a 3-year old mutt chihuahua mix.

I did a lot of research into pet insurance before; Pet Plan was the best I found in terms of cost and coverage(they cover pre existing conditions, for example)

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Question: This past weekend my 11 month old hound mix was clearly having issues with her back end, to the point that she licked herself raw. We also noticed an odor and so Monday morning I brought her to the vet. The vet (not her usual vet) examined her and discovered that one of her anal glands was infected. He expressed the gland, gave her an antibiotic for the infection and some ointment for the affected area, and a biscuit for being a good girl. Since then, while she certainly appears to be feeling better and for the most part leaving the area alone, we've seen several instances of relatively large amounts of clear/pale yellow fluid left behind where she was lying down or sitting. Is this normal after an expression? When I say "large amounts", I'm guessing at least a few tablespoons worth or more; enough where at first I though it might be a small pee accident, which would be highly unusual as her constitution is rock solid. She's never once had an accident in the house since we brought her home in November. The fluid itself has next to no odor, at least that I can smell. I thought maybe at first it was the antibiotic itself, but it's been a few days now. She otherwise seems fine and happy and shows no signs of discomfort when pooping. Is this normal or should I be concerned and take her back to the vet if it continues?

Obligatory picture:

Could be lymph or pus I guess if it's infected and draining?
Couldn't hurt to give the vet's office a call.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

pizzadog posted:

Could be lymph or pus I guess if it's infected and draining?
Couldn't hurt to give the vet's office a call.

Update: whatever it was appears to have stopped. She's also stopped worrying at the raw area and it's healing up great. Guess I just needed to wait an extra day for her system to flush the infection out. Hopefully this was a one-off and she doesn't become prone to infection; the vet was telling me horror stories about anal gland removal surgeries being pretty risky.

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not
I was thinking about getting a mini Australian Shepherd and I was wondering if anyone knows if this breeder has accurate information on their website. http://www.greatcompanionsmas.com/general-information-not-used.html

She mentions a product called NuVet and I am unsure if it is something I should be giving my future dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ferrin posted:

I was thinking about getting a mini Australian Shepherd and I was wondering if anyone knows if this breeder has accurate information on their website. http://www.greatcompanionsmas.com/general-information-not-used.html

She mentions a product called NuVet and I am unsure if it is something I should be giving my future dog.

Some of the stuff is normal and some is typical bonkers breeder stuff.

Vaccines: Talk to your vet about whether or not the lepto vaccine is appropriate for your dog and your lifestyle. Lots of breeders freak out about this one.

Ivermectin products: I've not heard of MDR-1 clear dogs having problems with ivermectin before but if you're getting a puppy from a breeder it should definitely be tested. If her line of dogs specifically have trouble with ivermectin products that's something to keep in mind when picking heartworm preventatives. If you do herding I've heard of dogs having problems from eating poop from sheep who had been treated with ivermectin as well.

Food: I've never bothered feeding 3 times a day but it won't hurt unless you're over feeding. I'd be cautious about her suggestion to not feed puppy food but if you're concerned you can find all life stages foods that will provide proper nutrition for growth without being a puppy food.

NuVet is like a crazy breeder pyramid scheme sort of deal. I've never seen anyone besides weird breeders talk about it or recommend it. The breeder gets money whenever you order it and a lot of sketchy breeders have it in their contract that if you don't feed the vitamins the health guarantee is void.

Her exercise section mentions a lot of repetitive motion things like fetch and tug that I would avoid using extensively in a young growing puppy. Especially herding puppies can become overexercised and never learn how to settle without being completely exhausted. Instead work on teaching the pup to relax and settle in the house and do lots of training to mentally wear them out.

Just as an aside, all the mini aussies/MAS I've met have been total bonkers nervebags. Shy, reactive, noise sensitive, you name it. Make sure to actually meet a bunch of them, especially in the lines you want to get, before committing to buy one.

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Some of the stuff is normal and some is typical bonkers breeder stuff.

Vaccines: Talk to your vet about whether or not the lepto vaccine is appropriate for your dog and your lifestyle. Lots of breeders freak out about this one.

Ivermectin products: I've not heard of MDR-1 clear dogs having problems with ivermectin before but if you're getting a puppy from a breeder it should definitely be tested. If her line of dogs specifically have trouble with ivermectin products that's something to keep in mind when picking heartworm preventatives. If you do herding I've heard of dogs having problems from eating poop from sheep who had been treated with ivermectin as well.

Food: I've never bothered feeding 3 times a day but it won't hurt unless you're over feeding. I'd be cautious about her suggestion to not feed puppy food but if you're concerned you can find all life stages foods that will provide proper nutrition for growth without being a puppy food.

NuVet is like a crazy breeder pyramid scheme sort of deal. I've never seen anyone besides weird breeders talk about it or recommend it. The breeder gets money whenever you order it and a lot of sketchy breeders have it in their contract that if you don't feed the vitamins the health guarantee is void.

Her exercise section mentions a lot of repetitive motion things like fetch and tug that I would avoid using extensively in a young growing puppy. Especially herding puppies can become overexercised and never learn how to settle without being completely exhausted. Instead work on teaching the pup to relax and settle in the house and do lots of training to mentally wear them out.

Just as an aside, all the mini aussies/MAS I've met have been total bonkers nervebags. Shy, reactive, noise sensitive, you name it. Make sure to actually meet a bunch of them, especially in the lines you want to get, before committing to buy one.

Thank you for all the tips! I will definitely consider all of this. I don't actually need a herding dog, I mostly just want an exercise partner and cuddling companion. I will research other breeds.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have you considered a Beagle? Mine's not much for cuddling but my understanding it that's fairly unusual for the breed. Hella loves to run though.

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not

Warbird posted:

Have you considered a Beagle? Mine's not much for cuddling but my understanding it that's fairly unusual for the breed. Hella loves to run though.

I will have to read up on them. I did not think of a beagle but I've seen them and they're super cute.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My mother owned a beagle mix around the time I was born. Smart dog, used to dig under the fence and roam around the neighborhood while obeying traffic signals. Came back with burnt biscuits sometimes. We never figured out where she was getting them. She was pretty mellow for a bagel though--they're usually barkers.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
mellow bagel

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Someone please get a beagle and name it bagel.

Bagel the beagle :3:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Belle D Beagle can and does respond to "Bagel". She is a good pooch. She's started hanging out in her bed/crate as of late, so hopefully the separation anxiety is getting better.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Ferrin posted:

I will have to read up on them. I did not think of a beagle but I've seen them and they're super cute.

If you like the sound of BARROOOOOOO all the time go get it. Personally most beagles I've met have been neurotic, separation anxiety filled messes and I don't really consider them to be particularly great exercise buddies since their main interest is Finding The Smell.

What was the reason you were interested in mini aussies specifically? If you can give us some ideas on what you're looking for (besides exercise buddy), like must haves, deal breakers, size etc, we can probably give you some ideas.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A bagel is a basset beagle.

I can run with my basset but a good smell will stop is both

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not

Psychobabble! posted:

If you like the sound of BARROOOOOOO all the time go get it. Personally most beagles I've met have been neurotic, separation anxiety filled messes and I don't really consider them to be particularly great exercise buddies since their main interest is Finding The Smell.

What was the reason you were interested in mini aussies specifically? If you can give us some ideas on what you're looking for (besides exercise buddy), like must haves, deal breakers, size etc, we can probably give you some ideas.

I want a healthy medium sized dog that is capable of outdoor adventures, relaxation at home, and tolerates warm temperature. Also it should not eat my two cats. My friend at work has a mini aussie and I've noticed he is great with people and other pets, which was why I was kind of hoping to get something like him.

Ferrin fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 25, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ferrin posted:

I want a medium sized dog that is capable of outdoor adventures, relaxation at home, and tolerates warm temperature. Also it should not eat my two cats. My friend at work has a mini aussie and I've noticed he is great with people and other pets, which was why I was kind of hoping to get something like him.

Allow me to spread the gospel of the show cocker spaniel. We have one, and she is a very good dog. You'll want to keep that coat short, but it's no big deal - ours is about as fluffy as an aussie.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 25, 2017

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I got a rescue dog that's a breed that's supposed to be a poor choice for apartments, maybe okay with cats and good with kids. My particular dog is a lazy little poo poo around the house, although she does like playing with other dogs, loves the dog park and hiking. Doesn't try to eat my two cats and seems to really hate kids. The shelter said she'd be a great match for me and they were right.

I guess my point is adopting a dog that's been fostered and you know their temperament is cool and good but I also understand that people like puppies too so nothing against that.

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not

GoodBee posted:

I got a rescue dog that's a breed that's supposed to be a poor choice for apartments, maybe okay with cats and good with kids. My particular dog is a lazy little poo poo around the house, although she does like playing with other dogs, loves the dog park and hiking. Doesn't try to eat my two cats and seems to really hate kids. The shelter said she'd be a great match for me and they were right.

I guess my point is adopting a dog that's been fostered and you know their temperament is cool and good but I also understand that people like puppies too so nothing against that.

In all honesty I'd rather avoid the puppy stage. I have been told that it's better to get a young dog that will learn to socialize with my cats. I know there are hundreds of dogs that need to be adopted. I've looked at a few local foster groups for dogs that are great and save lives, but their application process is super strict. They want a lot of private information and unlimited visits to my house if I adopt one of their dogs. I understand it's to protect the dog. I'm not sure I'm willing to go that route.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Ferrin posted:

I've looked at a few local foster groups for dogs that are great and save lives, but their application process is super strict. They want a lot of private information and unlimited visits to my house if I adopt one of their dogs. I understand it's to protect the dog. I'm not sure I'm willing to go that route.

Yeah, some are more strict than others. I adopted through the rescue attached to my local municipal kill shelter. I guess they are less strict because of that. The adoption contract wanted my address and vet. It did say they could check in and take her back if there was any abuse or neglect but I've never heard from them officially. I have run into some of the shelter employees and volunteers at the dog park and other places though so I guess they kind of know she's doing great.

My dog is also technically a large dog, since she weighs 50lbs and about 23 inches tall at the shoulders but she really doesn't seem that big. It seems like the local rescue groups take in more small dogs, puppies and popular breeds.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ferrin posted:

In all honesty I'd rather avoid the puppy stage. I have been told that it's better to get a young dog that will learn to socialize with my cats. I know there are hundreds of dogs that need to be adopted. I've looked at a few local foster groups for dogs that are great and save lives, but their application process is super strict. They want a lot of private information and unlimited visits to my house if I adopt one of their dogs. I understand it's to protect the dog. I'm not sure I'm willing to go that route.

That will vary from rescue group to rescue group. Our local SPCA was surprisingly easy to get approval from.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Now that I think about it, wouldn't a reputable breeder be at least as strict, if not way more so, about their puppies than any shelter or rescue?

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not

GoodBee posted:

Now that I think about it, wouldn't a reputable breeder be at least as strict, if not way more so, about their puppies than any shelter or rescue?

The breeders I've been in contact with have suggested many things but nothing is enforced besides the standard spay/neuter contract and the appropriate vaccines. The price you pay for them is probably enough to discourage people with bad intentions I guess?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If I wanted a dog right now I could walk into the council pound which is a kill shelter who gives dogs picked up by the warden 7 days before putting them down, and walk out with a dog for £60 without even giving ID.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
WALL O' TEXT:

Desperately in need of some additional training resources I think? My younger dog that I've had for about a year and a half has me on the ropes. Her chewing and marking have gotten out of control, and I've run out of ideas. She's too smart for her own good, and recognizes 2 sets of rules. Those when I'm around and those when she's alone. When left alone she will chew up boxes, buttons off of clothes I've left folded on the counter, blankets, even curtain pullstrings! What's worse is I can step out to walk to the mailbox, and by the time I've made it back inside she's marked at least one spot on the carpet. I clean up with a carpet shampooer and enzymatic shampoo, but the marking itself seems to be a positive reinforcement for her. When I'm around she doesn't engage in any of this behavior or even show signs for me to correct on.

For the marking I've tried:
  • Thorough cleaning after each incident
  • Vet checkup to see if there's a bladder infection
  • Moving furniture/room around to make previous spots inaccessible
  • Positive reinforcement when she goes outside
  • Bandana of her urine (gross) around her neck so everything smells like her
  • Diapering (takes it off THEN pees....spiteful)

For the chewing I've tried:
  • Bitter apple spray
  • Removing chewable items from reach (she just finds new things)
  • Providing proper things to chew on (entire toy box, not fun enough I guess)

I don't know what else to do. Absolutely at a loss on how to address these behaviors without being present while they happen. It doesn't seem fair to crate her while I'm at work all day either.

tldr; Dog marks and chews, no idea how to fix. Train me to train my dog right.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Sounds like you should crate train so that she doesn't have the opportunity to do those things when you're not around.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
X pen would work too if you're set against the crate.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Bandana soaked in her piss around her neck...? That's a new one.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psychobabble! posted:

Bandana soaked in her piss around her neck...? That's a new one.

You are not wrong there! Training club in the area suggested it, that maybe if she always had her scent she'd not want to mark. Boy were they wrong. And a bummer but it sounds like crating is the best way to go for now, just hard not to feel guilty about that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

VanguardFelix posted:

You are not wrong there! Training club in the area suggested it, that maybe if she always had her scent she'd not want to mark. Boy were they wrong. And a bummer but it sounds like crating is the best way to go for now, just hard not to feel guilty about that.

dont feel guilty about crate training, You shouldnt be using it as doggy jail or when you are around and in the house, its just for unsupervised time. I have 4 crated dogs in the house while im at work, and other than taking an hour or two to run them around the yard or throw balls for the super energetic ones its been perfectly fine for years, half the time they just lay in their crates hanging out if im in the same room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I never did get my dog to like her crate. She would go in there when I told her to but the only time I ever saw her go in on her own was during a particularly loud thunderstorm.