Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

leper khan posted:

this is why I'm considering trying for fintech jobs

anyone know what the hours are usually like? I've worked in games, so if it's not much worse than that it should be fine.

I'm at a hedge fund where we're like 9:30-5:45. 9:30 matters (standup) but as long as you're not rolling out at 4:30 every day nobody really cares about the backend. also as much wfh as you want basically as long as you're getting your work done

the other hedge fund I interviewed at was 8:30-6:30 and gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
jfc recruiters can be thirsty. "Batman" has sent a fourth consecutive linkedin message without a response from me.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
had an interview today. went okay, not amazing. except for one dude who asked me about designing a server backend architecture to do some task and how I would scale it and store things. I'm an embedded systems engineer, I don't know poo poo about servers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i made a new linkedin and applied for like 5 jobs. how do you fight the imposter syndrome. the whole time im filling this poo poo out my brainvoice just keeps telling me im not qualified and i could never do this stuff :(

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

cis autodrag posted:

i made a new linkedin and applied for like 5 jobs. how do you fight the imposter syndrome. the whole time im filling this poo poo out my brainvoice just keeps telling me im not qualified and i could never do this stuff :(

get one of those jobs and then look around at your coworkers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

get one of those jobs and then look around at your coworkers.

lol, that worked pretty well for my current job actually. i stress a lot less about my work now that i realize serial fuckups are still employed after 3 years of mistakes and escalations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
oh also i lied about my current salary on every app. gently caress is im gonna have epics bs suppress my post epic salary.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'd 100% rather live in boston than silicon valley or nyc. rents here are absurd but not that bad.

id definitely rather live in new york than boston tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

yeah but sf is an awful place that is worse than boston

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i should go back to sf. my only memories now are going to the moma and comic book museum.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cis autodrag posted:

oh also i lied about my current salary on every app. gently caress is im gonna have epics bs suppress my post epic salary.

yeah, either lie and write in the value you want or just leave it blank. I usually punch in $1 if they get pushy about it or a form requires something.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Same. $1 or 60% raise. I should probably go higher on that percentage but it's hard not to laugh on the phone

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I started applying to companies on angel.co and today was the second time someone in the last month has asked me if I "have any vacation planned for the next 6 months". iOS dev so YMMV but god drat lol.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I started applying to companies on angel.co and today was the second time someone in the last month has asked me if I "have any vacation planned for the next 6 months". iOS dev so YMMV but god drat lol.

lol :redflag:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leper khan posted:

yeah, either lie and write in the value you want or just leave it blank. I usually punch in $1 if they get pushy about it or a form requires something.

all the ones i did today had both current and desired income as required. i put my current as current+25k and then asked for another 20k over the top of that. either way is a huge raise because im criminally underpaid (leading to this job search).

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lol rejected after a screen and a take home that were "great!" because of a timed hackerrank score

my life for this industry to quit playing games with interviews

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cis autodrag posted:

it's much easier to just not apply to those places, imo. if they're good to work for they won't play that bullshit with you

Iverron posted:

lol rejected after a screen and a take home that were "great!" because of a timed hackerrank score

my life for this industry to quit playing games with interviews

same goes for this

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I would if I could. Current gig is an unmitigated hellscape.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iverron posted:

I would if I could. Current gig is an unmitigated hellscape.

how so

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

you guys might know

whats a decent salary in nyc for an actuary?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Balobam posted:

you guys might know

Actually,

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

it's just I heard the profession is better paying in the US kinda baseline, so was wondering just what the difference would be between one place n another

obvs can google it but was curious if there was any first hand info from u guys

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Balobam posted:

you guys might know

if you can't predict it mathematically, you probably shouldn't be an actuary

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

im not an actuary lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you can't predict it mathematically, you probably shouldn't be an actuary

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz i'm a network guy that wants to stay in boston hire me thx

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

raminasi posted:

I'm at a hedge fund where we're like 9:30-5:45. 9:30 matters (standup) but as long as you're not rolling out at 4:30 every day nobody really cares about the backend. also as much wfh as you want basically as long as you're getting your work done

the other hedge fund I interviewed at was 8:30-6:30 and gently caress that

so your core hours are 9:30 to 4:30? yeah that's great compared to a ten hour day but eh

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

gimme one of those high figgie nyc jobs

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Captain Foo posted:

Blinkz0rz i'm a network guy that wants to stay in boston hire me thx

no joke pm me and we'll figure something out

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

another yosjobs success story

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

i don't know anything about networks but if i leave my country and fly over will u give me one of these jobs u got goin? fast learner, good with all my hands

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

no joke pm me and we'll figure something out

:c00l:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Balobam posted:

i don't know anything about networks but if i leave my country and fly over will u give me one of these jobs u got goin? fast learner, good with all my hands

you know who is in the White House right

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's much easier to just not apply to those places, imo. if they're good to work for they won't play that bullshit with you

a lot of them looked like off-the-shelf application websites so I applied anyway. you already slim your options down a lot by binning the listing with multiple spelling and grammar mistakes, lol.

and like i said, im criminally underpaid. i have 5 years at this company and 2 years as a dev now and i am making less than 6 figgies (and im the only one on my team being paid that little). its bs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most finance jobs the base salary isn't great but you can get a good bonus, I got ~30% every year at my last place but it's completely variable and if someone else's division has a bad year that might impact the overall bonus pool and since the executives always get massive bonuses rank and file people can get kind of shafted

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the hackerrank things are easy though. run through the "normal" hackerrank stuff in your language of choice in an afternoon and you'll recognize every single question on those stupid job questions

but I'm a weirdo that got a perfect score on a dumb C trivia test one recruiter gave me (knowing what the auto keyword does in C is actually wasting brainpower that could be used for something useful)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

the hackerrank things are easy though. run through the "normal" hackerrank stuff in your language of choice in an afternoon and you'll recognize every single question on those stupid job questions

but I'm a weirdo that got a perfect score on a dumb C trivia test one recruiter gave me (knowing what the auto keyword does in C is actually wasting brainpower that could be used for something useful)

i aced the ruby test some recruiter gave me and i dont even know ruby. then i bombed their phone screen because i "seemed hesitant" aka "i actually pause to think before i answer questions".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

cis autodrag posted:

same

i showed my offer letter to my GF and she said "these people know what they're doing, they wouldn't be offering you that much money if they didn't think you were worth it."

also here's my negotiation tactic:

keep repeating "I'm in the range for the position" until they name a number

enjoy the double-digit percentage point raise

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FrozenVent posted:

same

i showed my offer letter to my GF and she said "these people know what they're doing, they wouldn't be offering you that much money if they didn't think you were worth it."

also here's my negotiation tactic:

keep repeating "I'm in the range for the position" until they name a number

enjoy the double-digit percentage point raise

instructions unclear, figgies are the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cis autodrag posted:

i aced the ruby test some recruiter gave me and i dont even know ruby. then i bombed their phone screen because i "seemed hesitant" aka "i actually pause to think before i answer questions".

what, you're not utterly convinced of your own brilliance at all times?

i'm not sure you've got what it takes to be a computer touching techlord

• Locked thread