Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah it was a United card, there's not a downgraded version that doesn't include a fee.

On another note, I got an email from Ally today saying that the rate on online savings with them has gone up to 1.05% - figure this is as good a place as any to post that. I know .05% isn't much but it's something!

That's ten dollars a year on a 20k balance, I'll take that for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah it was a United card, there's not a downgraded version that doesn't include a fee.

On another note, I got an email from Ally today saying that the rate on online savings with them has gone up to 1.05% - figure this is as good a place as any to post that. I know .05% isn't much but it's something!

I finally opened an Ally savings account back in March, and noticed this morning the rate had been bumped up. I've made more in interest with Ally in the month and a half that I've had the account than I had in several years at my local credit union. Realizing that made me decide to move another couple thousand into my Ally savings account.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Looks like the IRS and State of Colorado decided to send me about 10K combined. None of that money is mine. Now I get to deal with giving the money back to them. What a hassle.

E: Somehow my ex-wife sent me her refund. what a bonehead move.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 27, 2017

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
it's cinco de mayo!!!! everyone: time to mindlessly consume margaritas and mexican food for consumer reasons!!!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i'm all in favor of a good excuse to consume margaritas and mexican food to be honest

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Good Parmesan posted:

it's cinco de mayo!!!! everyone: time to mindlessly consume margaritas and mexican food for consumer reasons!!!!!!

Are you actually ridiculing people for eating mexican food today come on

What if I buy dry bulk rice and beans is that ok with you misers

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I like Mexican I just got a Chipotle burrito bowl no quack

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Good Parmesan posted:

This. But unironically.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I had Mexican today. Work paid. Win for me.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Oops, thought this was the general question thread!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey folks, never posted in this sub forum before. I am seeking advice on something but I don't know if this is the appropriate area to ask about it.

The short summary is this: I'm been made aware of a significant problem with the way payroll is being handled at my company, though it does not affect me personally. Suffice to say it appears that some people are being cheated out of pay in low but regular numbers. Our payroll is handled by a single person. I informed the manager who is over [payroll person] but they do not seem inclined to do anything about it (and did NOT refute the issue). This feels like extremely bad juju and I don't know what to do. Is this the appropriate sub forum to make a thread explaining it and seeking advice, or is there a better place?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
If you believe wage theft is involved you can tip the Department of Labor in your state. Once you have made a complaint you are in general heavily protected by whistleblower laws but the specifics of everything vary by state.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey folks, never posted in this sub forum before. I am seeking advice on something but I don't know if this is the appropriate area to ask about it.

The short summary is this: I'm been made aware of a significant problem with the way payroll is being handled at my company, though it does not affect me personally. Suffice to say it appears that some people are being cheated out of pay in low but regular numbers. Our payroll is handled by a single person. I informed the manager who is over [payroll person] but they do not seem inclined to do anything about it (and did NOT refute the issue). This feels like extremely bad juju and I don't know what to do. Is this the appropriate sub forum to make a thread explaining it and seeking advice, or is there a better place?

You are more than welcome to post a thread here. You may also want to crosspost in the legal questions thread on Ask/Tell.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Thread an obtrusive length of wire under your shirt and around your collar, pretend you aren't aware of it, then stand ever so slightly too close to people.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pig slut lisa posted:

You are more than welcome to post a thread here. You may also want to crosspost in the legal questions thread on Ask/Tell.

Thank you. I realized after thinking about it a bit that I will be able to obtain a little more detail and possibly some paperwork in about a week's time. I will post about it then unless the materials reveal it was a false alarm.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Applying to a university marketing position. I have an OCD diagnosis but you wouldn't know unless I told you, and it doesn't affect my work in any way. Should I mark that I have a disability on the application for bonus points? Or is that an unwritten red flag?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

It's kind of bittersweet to realize we only have a few more years of millennials getting scolded about their imaginary financial behavior

https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/867041187521318912

*sniff* I'm gonna miss it :(

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Who drinks that much and pays for parking?

$50 cab fare (both ways) sounds more realistic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
LOL at 5% downpayment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Maybe I'm a fat goon but anyone who gets $150 worth of drinks but only $10 worth of food has planned their evening poorly.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Who the gently caress is going clubbing on a Sunday night?

And where do they get $150 a night on drinks average? Maybe if you're getting bottle service but I've literally never spent that on alcohol in a night (when I was just paying for myself) and I drink way too much.

edit: also with drink prices like that :lol: at paying a cover god drat.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 23, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I like that the thread title is literally "Don't eat out today", but the idea of not buying $5 coffee every day to save money is apparently super mockable.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If you're blowing 150 on drinks twice a weekend, in addition to pre-gaming a bottle, then you have much bigger issues.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I routinely drink 10 $15 drinks or alternately 30 $5 beers at bars and clubs on both Saturday and Sunday

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Droo posted:

I like that the thread title is literally "Don't eat out today", but the idea of not buying $5 coffee every day to save money is apparently super mockable.

Ehhh... I think there's a pretty big difference between what you're describing and the strawman of "stop spending $550 on partying literally every weekend (dumb!) so you can put 5% down on a house (wise!)"

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Ehhh... I think there's a pretty big difference between what you're describing and the strawman of "stop spending $550 on partying literally every weekend (dumb!) so you can put 5% down on a house (wise!)"

In this case I think the night club thing is just another sarcastic post mocking the original thing that started all these, which was some Australian guy saying "if millennials want to buy a house they should stop whining and give up $8 lattes and $19 avocado toast".

Edit to add: based on the twitter comments, apparently I'm the only person to think that post was obviously sarcasm, geez.

Droo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 23, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Droo posted:

In this case I think the night club thing is just another sarcastic post mocking the original thing that started all these, which was some Australian guy saying "if millennials want to buy a house they should stop whining and give up $8 lattes and $19 avocado toast".

Edit to add: based on the twitter comments, apparently I'm the only person to think that post was obviously sarcasm, geez.

You make a good point! I assumed the guy was being serious, but that is due to the framing in which I encountered it and may well be inaccurate.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

pig slut lisa posted:

You make a good point! I assumed the guy was being serious, but that is due to the framing in which I encountered it and may well be inaccurate.

The original facebook post is public and it looks pretty sincere.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm the millennial who pays for parking, drinks $150 of booze on a Sunday night then drives home.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Jokes on you, olds! I'm actually an instasnapr celebrity being paid 14k to post pics of these mojitos to my adoring followers.

*has 85 followers who are all just Eastern European bots*

I'll see you at the next Fyre festival!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Droo posted:

In this case I think the night club thing is just another sarcastic post mocking the original thing that started all these

"April 23, 2016"

I think nightclub guy may have been first.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Come on you guys get to and tab out at the club BEFORE midnight? Losers! Saturday is Friday night and Sunday is Saturday night since those changes come in early in the morning. Dropping $150 a night on a the ladies you nerds! If they don't see me dropping that american express platinum black premium card they will not pretend they are going to come home with me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I added up spending $40/night at dive bars 5 days a week, include fourth meal, pool/jukebox and throw in some blow and you can buy a car in a few years

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is this an OK thread to ask about an investment app?

It's called Acorns, and I've been seeing it advertised a lot on some mobile games I play. From my limited googling, it seems that it links up to your bank account and rounds up every purchase you make to the nearest dollar and automagically invests it in a portfolio for you. The specifics of this process are still a bit of a mystery to me, and I'd like to know if it's legit and worth the effort to start using before I begin doing more research on it and possibly sign up for it. The way some of the reviews out there talk about it, it might be a somewhat decent way to slowly save up a decent little wad of money for rainy days. Does anyone use this app or know anything about it? Is it legit? Is it something that would be worth looking into more? Is there a better thread to post this in that I should go to instead?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Knowing nothing about this app, I would bet that one or all of the following are true:

1. It charges a small sounding but actually absurd service fee for deposits and/or withdrawals.

2. It offers awful asset choices that will siphon off like half of your returns over the years through "management fees" while failing to match the stock market.

3. Anything it does will be poorly tax optimized and you'll lose even more money to taxes for no good reason.

4. Its monetization model will change (or is already insane) and Bad Things will happen, since it has access to all of your purchasing habits and contact info, and location, and... everything in your phone if you use Android.

In my opinion, investing for your retirement or whatever is serious, solemn business that should not be trusted to a phone app and you owe future you like, at least 20 hours of work reading a book and learning a trading platform so you can take care of them responsibly.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

neogeo0823 posted:

The way some of the reviews out there talk about it, it might be a somewhat decent way to slowly save up a decent little wad of money for rainy days. Does anyone use this app or know anything about it? Is it legit? Is it something that would be worth looking into more? Is there a better thread to post this in that I should go to instead?
"$1.25 per month for accounts with a balance under $5,000 and 0.275% per year (charged monthly, computed daily), for accounts with a balance of $5,000 and over."

Compared with a FREE savings account that you actually get PAID interest for, this is a stupid way to save money. Just set up an auto transfer of $5 each week to your savings account if you can't be hosed to do it any other way.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Could anybody be so kind to share with me how I would go about establishing credit through my LLC? I would like to lease some equipment and for obvious reasons I would like to keep that separate from my personal finances. Everything I search leads to nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Bojanglesworth posted:

Could anybody be so kind to share with me how I would go about establishing credit through my LLC? I would like to lease some equipment and for obvious reasons I would like to keep that separate from my personal finances. Everything I search leads to nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Unless your LLC owns assets that can be used as collateral, you'll almost always have to personally guarantee loans your business takes out. Otherwise no one would give business loans as it would be too easy to have the business declare bankruptcy and have no recourse.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Acorns is legit but I wouldn't recommend it, there are better options.

The rounding to your purchases up to a dollar is an interesting gimmick, but still just a gimmick. You should be able to determine how much on average a month it's depositing and just auto-deposit that instead. It's investing your money so I don't think the recommendation to automatically deposit into a savings account instead is an appropriate comparison, but you can set up an investment account somewhere pretty easily.

I would head over to the Long-Term Investing and Retirement Savings Thread for more info, but the short answer is you probably want to open a Vanguard Roth IRA with $1000 to start in a target retirement date fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Ancillary Character posted:

Unless your LLC owns assets that can be used as collateral, you'll almost always have to personally guarantee loans your business takes out. Otherwise no one would give business loans as it would be too easy to have the business declare bankruptcy and have no recourse.

That makes sense for when you have just started your business, but thats not the way for forever, is it? Wouldn't it be the same as standard credit, you start with low limits and work your way to better terms? Isn't the whole point of an LLC to keep your personal and business separate? If I purchase gear for my business, in my business name, but then my name is still the primary gaurantor would those assets still be protected?