Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nascar must be panicking right now. They already have attendance issues and this is the #1 worst thing that could happen as far as that goes.

Good for Jr. though, retire while he's still young and got his health. Now Fox just needs to get him to replace DW in the booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The last time NASCAR made public the results of the Most Popular Driver vote was 2013:

quote:

The final top-10 drivers, in order of votes received were: Earnhardt Jr., Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick, Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards.

Of those still standing, Jimmie, Harvick, and Kenseth are 40+ and there are rumblings of Kenseth retiring. Granted, there's the possibility Edwards comes back and winds up in the 88.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

Nascar must be panicking right now. They already have attendance issues and this is the #1 worst thing that could happen as far as that goes.

Good for Jr. though, retire while he's still young and got his health. Now Fox just needs to get him to replace DW in the booth.

Yeah, I definitely see him going into broadcasting.

Shame he never pulled the championship off, but everyone liked him regardless.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

there are rumblings of Kenseth retiring

Don't you dare tease me.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/856833793088516096

Dang Ol Junyer. :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of Kenseth, I find it hilarious the last two times a Wisconsinite won it all (Kenseth in 03, Kulwicki in 92), between the two of them they only won a grand total of three races.

Too bad those days are gone.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's a bummer but it's definitely in his best interest, and you know he'll still be very much involved in the sport. Dude loves it too much.

In all honesty I'm kind of excited to see the old guard start to pull out and let a new generation take up the reigns, there's a lot of talent waiting for a shot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm not sure if this is idle speculation or an informed guess, but, for what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/Eric_RaceReview/status/856858602174390272

Larson in an HMS ride instantly makes him my favorite driver (still wish it were the 24) and Bowman would be fun, which is why it's going to be Carl Edwards because we can't have nice things.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Give it to Bowman dammit

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Regarding youth, I just can't get behind Elliott (who I probably should for a multitude of reasons), I could take or leave Jones, Suarez (the Council wanted to know what we thought of him recently), or the Dillons, but I like Blaney and Larson and could get the gently caress behind Bowman in the 88. In other words, NASCAR has finally restocked the coffers with drivers some people will like and some people won't, while others will pick other youngins to pull for.

This would be a good time for Spinster Gangrenous to take some of those Allegiant bucks to HMS, though. :getin:

It's all about the timing working out, and it worked out for all of them. Remember the Driver Development programs of which the only drivers still in the sport are David Ragan and Aric Almirola? :lol:

Also:

https://twitter.com/Team_FRM/status/856863861449871360

:golfclap:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 25, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:rip: NASCAR

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gently caress man. All I gave left to cheer for is Jimmy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'll just have to find enjoyment in my intense hatred of Kyle Bush

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
All Hail Jimmiebot

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now is Danicas time to shine.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Staking my claim as #1 Christopher Bell Superfan before anyone else. I'll make millions

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/856862828053106692

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fully on board the Ryan Blaney hype train.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
good, I'm glad

perhaps this is the retirement that finally pushes all the loving idiots out of the sport so I can watch it in peace

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Earnhardt, Gordon, Stewart all retire, and yet Darrell Waltrip persists

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Earnhardt, Gordon, Stewart all retire, and yet Darrell Waltrip persists

to be fair he retired 17 years ago my friend

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The totally useless information nerd in me wonders if Hendrick brings the #25 back next year. Wasn't there something about Rick having sentimental attachment to that number because it was listed as his dad's team or something like that?

All I remember is back in the day when one name could only be on two cars that the 5 and 24 were "Rick Hendrick" and 25 was under his dad's name, which continued when Jimmie showed up and Jeff Gordon was listed owner of the 48.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

good, I'm glad

perhaps this is the retirement that finally pushes all the loving idiots out of the sport so I can watch it in peace

You're so pleasant

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would expect a lot more drivers to go. Jimmy bot can be far behind.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I was watching the replay of the race this morning before work and he had some kind of *hillbilly shrieking* episode that he had to apologize for :classiclol:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

to be fair he retired 17 years ago my friend

I'd prefer he was still in a car so I don't have to listen to him every week.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm excited about new guys in cup, but hooooly poo poo the cupboards are bare behind that.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Good for Junyer. I don't think anyone didn't expect it. But also lol if Carl "I feel good with my career and definetly not getting pushed out by sweet sweet pesos" Edwards gets it and ruins everything.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I'm excited about new guys in cup, but hooooly poo poo the cupboards are bare behind that.

Supply and demand. There was lots of new blood 10 years ago, but not enough seats in Cup. Also, NASCAR was too retarded to do anything about Buschwackers who ran most of the races in their cars anyway, but we've been over that.

Now, it's a different situation where there are enough potential elite talents at just the right time, but not much of a backfill.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I have to be honest and say the biggest shock here was reading that Biffle retired - I hadnt even noticed

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CactusWeasle posted:

I have to be honest and say the biggest shock here was reading that Biffle retired - I hadnt even noticed

Unless I missed :thejoke:, he's just without a ride because he'd rather not drive than drive for Roush this year (though, as it played out, Bayne and Stenhouse are both having decent seasons).

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Norns posted:

You're so pleasant

man, I admin a rather large NASCAR group on Facebook and Jr. fans are a hundred times more insufferable than I am

I like the guy but his fans are a garbage fire

daslog posted:

I would expect a lot more drivers to go. Jimmy bot can be far behind.

he's a weird case in that he's incredibly fit, consistently good and has never had a really bad crash

I think JJ sticks around deep into his 50's, tbh

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 25, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:agreed:

Unless he picks up #8 real soon

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

he's a weird case in that he's incredibly fit, consistently good and has never had a really bad crash

Forgetting this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbkIBWEp91Q

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

he looks fine to me

I don't mean a scary crash, I mean one that made him question the effects racing would have on his quality of life

big nipples big life posted:

:agreed:

Unless he picks up #8 real soon

I think he's more of the "if I keep winning I'm not stopping" type

10/100

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Good for Junior, sucks for the sport to lose a cool dude like him

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hard to be sad about Junior leaving when it's obviously the right and correct decision and we'll hopefully get to avoid seeing him slowly go insane.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I just need to get more involved and find other people outside of him and Jimmy to cheer for.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dale Jr. presser at 3 on NASCAR.com, ESPN2, FS1, NBC Sports App, MRN, PRN, SXM.

e-
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/856946654322327552

Wow.

e2- Junyer will run at least two unnamed NXS races next season to complete sponsor commitments.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

:byewhore:

• Locked thread