Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ayb posted:

He's all time leading scorer for England and United. The gently caress else you guys want from him?
more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
sub 10% body fat and his own emoji

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Ewar Woowar posted:

Kante would have been infinitely better than Pogba and half the cost. Play him and Herrera in the middle with Mkhitaryan, Mata, and Martial/Rashford in front then Zlatan up top and you have a balanced midfield.

Herrera and Pogba is a balanced midfield already. They have been two of United's best players this season.

United are fifth because they have dropped tons of points in games they have dominated but wasted all their chances. Kante would not have helped in those games. Mane has 13 goals, that's more than double any United player not called Ibrahimovic. He would have made a huge difference.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Lot 49 posted:

Herrera and Pogba is a balanced midfield already. They have been two of United's best players this season.

United are fifth because they have dropped tons of points in games they have dominated but wasted all their chances. Kante would not have helped in those games. Mane has 13 goals, that's more than double any United player not called Ibrahimovic. He would have made a huge difference.

I think the argument is that when you spend 90m on an attacking midfielder you might reasonably expect him to chip in with double figures of goals?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lot 49 posted:

:lol:

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

excuse me lady posted:

I think the argument is that when you spend 90m on an attacking midfielder you might reasonably expect him to chip in with double figures of goals?

No it's not. He thinks that United should have bought a defensive midfielder (Kante) instead of Pogba.

Obviously Pogba should have scored more goals but that's a different issue.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Lot 49 posted:

No it's not. He thinks that United should have bought a defensive midfielder (Kante) instead of Pogba.

Obviously Pogba should have scored more goals but that's a different issue.

yes the choice is between 35m on a "defensive" midfielder who is objectively the best in the business and has singlehandedly turned a shower of shite into the champions elect, or 90m on an "attacking" midfielder who has done gently caress all

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's not like United could have had Kante for the same price Chelsea paid.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
call it 50 or 60m then, still better value. Even more so when you consider Kante is basically the definition of a "Mourinho player"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

excuse me lady posted:

call it 50 or 60m then, still better value. Even more so when you consider Kante is basically the definition of a "Mourinho player"

He's not tall enough to be a "Mourinho player"

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

excuse me lady posted:

yes the choice is between 35m on a "defensive" midfielder who is objectively the best in the business and has singlehandedly turned a shower of shite into the champions elect, or 90m on an "attacking" midfielder who has done gently caress all

looks like the ABUs are out in force again :rolleyes:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

excuse me lady posted:

a "defensive" midfielder who is objectively the best in the business and has singlehandedly turned a shower of shite into the champions elect
hmm I'm not so sure this is entirely true grez

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
winning serie a with juve really isn't that impressive its true

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I like that there's no possibility they should've got Conte instead of Mourinho

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The Conte/Kante maneuver will be remembered as one of the greatest team turnarounds in EPL history go ahead and mark it OP.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

hmm I'm not so sure this is entirely true grez

Thanks to Kante a team went from 14th to winning the title and this season a different team will probably go from 10th to winning the title because of him.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
The majority of Chelsea's team this season also won the league in 14/15 under Mourinho. One bad season when they hated the manager doesn't turn players like Courtois, Hazard, Costa etc into a 'shower of shite'.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Trolling other teams with mean, ill-informed "banter" is not what this great game is about.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lot 49 posted:

The majority of Chelsea's team this season also won the league in 14/15 under Mourinho. One bad season when they hated the manager doesn't turn players like Courtois, Hazard, Costa etc into a 'shower of shite'.

It seemed to turn man united players under moyes and van gaal into a shower of shite

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Lot 49 posted:

basically the same team that won the league...

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

excuse me lady posted:

pretty sure he's a Chelsea player op

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

excuse me lady posted:

I never thought Pogba was going to score that many goals and I thought it was mind boggling that people thought he would. He is a defensive midfielder on a Mourinho team and has never had double digit goals. I was ignoring the money part because United don't give a poo poo about money. Pogba was good for them. No, he wasn't 90m good.

Lot 49 posted:

The majority of Chelsea's team this season also won the league in 14/15 under Mourinho.

This is also largely wrong. Moses, Alonso, Luiz, and Kante are enormous parts of this years team and they literally did not exist for Chelsea in 14/15. Ivanovic and Terry played 38 matches that year and Oscar put in an additional 26.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I have an apparently controversial opinion: Kante is a really good player who would improve any team in the Premier league.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I've seen Pogba play as a box to box midfielder for Juve, and absolutely destroy teams up and down the pitch for an entire match. He can do a lot of stuff so spending a billion pounds on him and restricting him to a DM role is a bit of a waste considering there are better pure DMs around.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is also largely wrong. Moses, Alonso, Luiz, and Kante are enormous parts of this years team and they literally did not exist for Chelsea in 14/15. Ivanovic and Terry played 38 matches that year and Oscar put in an additional 26.

Six of Conte's most picked XI this season were also in Mourinho's most picked XI that won the league. That is the majority of the team.

And Pogba doesn't play DM. He's box to box for United.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Pogba just can't hack it in The Best League In The World, nothing to be ashamed of its happened to a lot of players. I'm sure he'll go on to have a competent career elsewhere.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Star Error posted:

Pogba just can't hack it in The Best League In The World, nothing to be ashamed of its happened to a lot of players. I'm sure he'll go on to have a competent career elsewhere.

Ferguson did nothing wrong

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Lot 49 posted:

Six of Conte's most picked XI this season were also in Mourinho's most picked XI that won the league. That is the majority of the team.

And Pogba doesn't play DM. He's box to box for United.

I knew someone would say this. Sure, technically it's the majority. But it's not the "same team" as everyone constantly says. You can't ignore the players I just mentioned like they don't exist. Yes, Hazard, Costa, Azpil, Cahill, and Matic are all still there and playing the same roles. There are 4 other guys that are going to get 25+ starts that literally did not exist. Cesc and Willian also played a thousand more minutes under Mou than Conte. Oscar/Ivanovic/Terry/Ramires are entirely irrelevant to this years team and played large parts in Mou's squad.

As for Pogba, yea, that's what good DM's tend to do these days.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Star Error posted:

He's basically Iago Aspas

e: or Juan Veron

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Cesc and Willian also played a thousand more minutes under Mou than Conte. Oscar/Ivanovic/Terry/Ramires are entirely irrelevant to this years team and played large parts in Mou's squad.

Sadly, Willian, Oscar and Ramires were three of my favorite Chelsea players. I guess I just like bad players?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Sadly, Willian, Oscar and Ramires were three of my favorite Chelsea players. I guess I just like bad players?

We all want three cool and good Brazilians on our team but unfortunately not every team can have Coutinho Firmino and Lucas

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Did you like Kalou and Anelka? If so you might just like the most frustrating players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pogba's as much a DM as Aaron Ramsey

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

chuggo is BACK posted:

basically the same team that won the league...

Lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

He's basically Iago Aspas

e: or Juan Veron

The mighty Iago Aspas will be back in England in two weeks.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That's four players

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pogba ist Bad, and united are a joke

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Breath Ray posted:

That's four players

took me a second

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

People calling Kante a defensive midfielder don't watch him play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ewar Woowar posted:

People calling Kante a defensive midfielder don't watch him play.

You're right, Kante is definitely known for racking up double digit goals and assists, not making tackles and interceptions.

• Locked thread