Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You need Poochy rules for both Mercy & Roadhog. Like situational awareness is super huge in this game, but if your eneny team has a Mercy/Hog, you need to kinda always be asking "Where is Mercy, where is her beam, who is she healing?" and at any SR below Plat, you fuckin' DIVE that motha!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I thought this game was supposed to match you with people your skill level, but I'm playing against people with gold borders and prestige stars at level 10? I'm still garbage at this game why's that happening? It's not like LoL where they immediately send you over to smurf island if you're even semi competent is it?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bust Rodd posted:

You need Poochy rules for both Mercy & Roadhog. Like situational awareness is super huge in this game, but if your eneny team has a Mercy/Hog, you need to kinda always be asking "Where is Mercy, wherevis her beam, who is she healing?" amd at ant SR below Plat, you fuckin' DIVE that motha!

Also, if they have a Reaper and you haven't seen him for a second, he is about to Death Blossom the poo poo out of your team and you need to stop that real fast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RealFoxy posted:

I thought this game was supposed to match you with people your skill level, but I'm playing against people with gold borders and prestige stars at level 10? I'm still garbage at this game why's that happening? It's not like LoL where they immediately send you over to smurf island if you're even semi competent is it?

Partially smurf island, partially it doesn't have a feel for your skill level yet (that'll change), and partially it's people who, despite loads of playtime, are Just That Bad. Internet cafe accounts for example.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bleck posted:

While I do not wish to undermine the value of the advice given, I feel like "shoot Mercy" is perhaps lacking in strategical clarity

if you shoot the mercy, you need to kill her friends once
if you don't shoot the mercy, you need to kill her friends twice

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

RealFoxy posted:

Levels, Borders and stars just mean that you have played this game a lot. They do not imply any skill level.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

RealFoxy posted:

You are in Quickplay so you are matched up based on MMR, not account level or SR (Comp mode Skill Rating). MMR is hidden, adjusts very quickly and has looser rules for matching you up with people compared to comp mode. So if you are level 10, that means you've played enough games for the game to get a true feel for your skill level, too. The devs said they watched a smurf in Quickplay on a new account one time and his MMR adjusted to the correct level within about 10 games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

got the pharah emote out of one of my last arcade boxes :toot: glad I didn't have to buy it but I would have if I hadn't got it in a crate since it's pharah's only good emote

outside of the tracer skin that I'd never use anyway, I've got everything I really cared about from the event now. hanzo, soldier, and pharah's emotes plus orisa's skin and the d.va highlight intro

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Slowpoke! posted:

You are in Quickplay so you are matched up based on MMR, not account level or SR (Comp mode Skill Rating). MMR is hidden, adjusts very quickly and has looser rules for matching you up with people compared to comp mode. So if you are level 10, that means you've played enough games for the game to get a true feel for your skill level, too. The devs said they watched a smurf in Quickplay on a new account one time and his MMR adjusted to the correct level within about 10 games.

I thought they were watching a pro play a smurf in comp and it was 15 games to reach his mains MMR unless you're talking about a different thing

Ime a fresh account takes longer than 10 qp games to adjust to your mmr, I had like an 80+% winrate over the first 20 or so and im nowhere near good

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

got the pharah emote out of one of my last arcade boxes :toot: glad I didn't have to buy it but I would have if I hadn't got it in a crate since it's pharah's only good emote

outside of the tracer skin that I'd never use anyway, I've got everything I really cared about from the event now. hanzo, soldier, and pharah's emotes plus orisa's skin and the d.va highlight intro

Three characters with lovely emotes got nice emotes for Uprising. The Pharah emote is still not great, but I didn't even realize that I like the Raindancer skin until I got it today (along with the emote) :woop: I'm pretty much done too: got the McCree, Widow and Genji event legendaries, the D.va intro and Hanzo emote, and didn't buy any boxes this time around. Looks like all I need to purchase is the soldier emote for some lewd and spontanious use in various places, and some voice lines/sprays.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Manatee Cannon posted:

What's funny is that this is pretty much my list (I have hanzo's emote atm) and I couldn't care about anything else really. Makes me feel much better about only really playing the arcade matches for loot boxes this event.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wait, the event is on for another week, or why are you already discussing your lootbox haul?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Wait, the event is on for another week, or why are you already discussing your lootbox haul?

it's on until 5/2 but it ends before the arcade reset and that's all I've done and am planning to do

there's only one thing I could even conceivably want left and I already mentioned that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hope y'all like hots because you're gonna have to play a lot of it soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2t9lwC7lk

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/856991927358464000

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 26, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

i wonder if clint mansell can sue

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Good, I'm a Mac/PS4 person.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I hope the mech for the D. VA officer skin looks like ED-209.

Time to reinstall Hots, I guess.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

phthalocyanine posted:

I thought they were watching a pro play a smurf in comp and it was 15 games to reach his mains MMR unless you're talking about a different thing

Ime a fresh account takes longer than 10 qp games to adjust to your mmr, I had like an 80+% winrate over the first 20 or so and im nowhere near good

Maybe but he did say level 10, not 10 QP games. Even under the old leveling system, level 10 would be 30+ games I think.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Slowpoke! posted:

Maybe but he did say level 10, not 10 QP games. Even under the old leveling system, level 10 would be 30+ games I think.

yeah 30 qp games is like level 11-12, i was just responding to your thing about the dev post. level 10 is definitely enough games to get a good idea of a player's skill level, although it might not be completely certain if you start losing a bunch of games

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
As Orisa, I melee'd a Rein to death through his shield, and Orisa yelled out "fistbump!"

I fuckin' love this goofy centaur robo cop.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maple Leaf posted:

As Orisa, I melee'd a Rein to death through his shield, and Orisa yelled out "fistbump!"

I fuckin' love this goofy centaur robo cop.

Roboclop

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

FAUXTON posted:

Roboclop

:whitewater:

Clop as a word is just ruined for me

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

FAUXTON posted:

Roboclop

:roboluv:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Montalvo posted:

Good, I'm a Mac/PS4 person.

It works fine on Mac actually. I plan on playing it exactly 20 times and then uninstalling it.

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

How many people in this thread are being regularly matched up with superlative Widowmaker players though? Like, how are we defining "great Widowmaker" here, is it "this person is genuinely so good that I have no possible chance of winning against them since they're so far outside my effective skill range" or "I was peeking from around a corner after I heard someone mumbling in French and I got shot in the head THAT loving BITCH."

I have only seen great widows twice but I am talking grappling away from Winston and headshotting him twice while in the air, great. 99.9% of widows can't do this but the ones that can are unstoppable. Shields are your only defense and if you don't have a great widow of your own, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. God forbid her team is competent too.

Specter1357 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 26, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can counter that by having your Zarya bubble your Winston on the way in and having your Genji ready to leap on here when she grapples away.

Granted this is 3 people to counter 1, but once you've done that its 6v5 and you've already got two dudes in their backline.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

You can counter that by having your Zarya bubble your Winston on the way in and having your Genji ready to leap on here when she grapples away.

Granted this is 3 people to counter 1, but once you've done that its 6v5 and you've already got two dudes in their backline.

It's not even "three people to counter one" since all three of those characters are really good ones to build a dive comp around.

Like if the matchmaker decides to toss you up against a grandmaster Widowmaker main while you're a gold-level player then yeah, there probably won't be a ton you can do, but that would hold true if the grandmaster player was playing virtually any other character in the game and you would be just as frustrated if it was McCree flashbang-headshotting you before you could react even if he's closer and therefore the fight is "fairer," or a GM Zarya who never stops glowing.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I don't know if I am at a bad skill level and don't encounter many of these awesome widows but.. playing Junkrat or Lucio I usually have few problems getting shot by them when I know they're there. The trick I've found is being annoying with strafe spam. It's a tactic that generally helps vs anything hitscan. I know mentioning Lucio in this is not quite proper since he's naturally evasive, but if you're steady enough with your aim you can belt out enough shots to make them reposition while juking headshot attempts. Or just kill them if they're too stupid to avoid getting shot in the face themselves.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Specter1357 posted:

I have only seen great widows twice but I am talking grappling away from Winston and headshotting him twice while in the air, great. 99.9% of widows can't do this but the ones that can are unstoppable. Shields are your only defense and if you don't have a great widow of your own, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. God forbid her team is competent too.

As a ~*widow main*~ Winstons fall into one of two camps for me.

Bad Winstons: Juke them with grapple, then shoot them in the face and watch the rest of the team melt them.

Good Winstons: Switch to Bastion.

Headshotting a Winston who doesn't have a lot of experience in how to approach a Widow is actually really easy. His head is huge, and his trajectory is stable.

At the end of the day, the games that go poorly for me fall into one of three situations. First, they have a good Genji or Winston who doesn't ever give me a chance to settle in. I might be living and getting kills on them, but I'm not getting consistent picks. Second, they are in a barrier heavy triple tank deathball with supports that keep behind barriers. It's hilarious how quickly a roadhog that doesn't respect a Widows ability to kill them in 3 shots will go down, but there's not much I can do against Rein+Orisa on a choke when no one else is exposing themselves. Third, there is a Widow that is better than me. The 100% best counter to Widow is a better Widow. If I'm consistently losing sniper 1v1s, I'm never getting picks.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Already mention this in the whining thread, but I haven't got a single gold in this event outside of a old Roadhog skin.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Rirse posted:

Already mention this in the whining thread, but I haven't got a single gold in this event outside of a old Roadhog skin.

I didn't until I bought 11 boxes then got rein, mercyx2, orisa, and a plethora of emotes and highlights from them :tinfoil:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ive gotten everything except blackwatch genji, beardless torb, blue rein, hanzo punching, and upside down zen intro i think

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I played my first 5 games of HotS today. Pretty fun. Don't know how to get my Genji skin.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Nihilarian posted:

I played my first 5 games of HotS today. Pretty fun. Don't know how to get my Genji skin.

did you play with friend?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

did you play with friend?
nah I just did the play vs AI mode

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Nihilarian posted:

nah I just did the play vs AI mode

Gotta do it with a friend

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ImPureAwesome posted:

Gotta do it with a friend
probably should have been paying attention huh

well, it was fun so I don't mind too much

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ive gotten everything except blackwatch genji, beardless torb, blue rein, hanzo punching, and upside down zen intro i think

I have almost everything except the Mercy skin. All I wanted was the Mercy skin. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

still 4 more days friend.