Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Don't start using big, legal sounding words.

COMES NOW Hot Dog Day #91

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

COMES NOW Hot Dog Day #91

I have removed this from my pleadings. Along with WHEREAS, PREMISES CONSIDERED.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
hereinafter the aforementioned post

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Christ I hate lawyers.

When I'm editing for colleagues, I remove the archaic pointless magic words. If they want them in, ask them to explain what it means.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Christ I hate lawyers.

When I'm editing for colleagues, I remove the archaic pointless magic words. If they want them in, ask them to explain what it means.

Nice try. But I didn't spend all that money in law school to just give that info out for free.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Christ I hate lawyers.

Same. Who needs 'em, it's mostly common sense and google right?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Got a question about landlord/tenant poo poo here in Indiana:

Our landlord is trying to make us sign a termination agreement with a non-disparagement clause in it. As far as I have researched, this is entirely illegal since the Consumer Review Freedom Act was signed into law. I have gone to the landlord's office and read him the body of the bill and told him I won't being signing poo poo until the clause is removed. That was about 6 days ago, and today they sent me an 'updated' agreement with nothing changed.

The company who bought the place I'm living in is offering 500$ to anyone who moves out by May 1st. The leasing company, who is acting on the building owner's behalf, has told me that I can only get the 500$ if I sign the termination agreement.

Since time is of the essence, and not getting that 500$ isn't exactly an option financially, would I be able to sign the agreement, write a negative and objective review, and not have to worry about the non disparagement clause being used to sue me? Even if they do take me to court, they wouldn't have a case because I'm protected by the CRFA, right?

thanx gunes

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You'll spend more in fees than $500 even if they unjustly sue you.

Take $500, move, and don't poo poo talk them?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Take $500, move, and don't poo poo talk them?

Seriously. They're paying you five hundred bucks to shut up, take it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
The act, if it even applies, would only render the entire contract void, I'm not sure you'd get to keep the money.

Also how much do you want to pay an attorney to defend you? Rhetorical question because it would be more than $500.

Take the money and keep your mouth shut.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
The act, if it even applies, would only render the entire contract void, I'm not sure you'd get to keep the money.

Also how much do you want to pay an attorney to defend you? Rhetorical question because it would be more than $500.

Take the money and keep your mouth shut.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Govern yourself accordingly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe offer to take the $500 AND request a written guarantee for the full return of your deposit, etc.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I work with an attorney who graduated from the esteemed halls of Valparaiso. You can guarantee that any examples of Old High Legalese in her pleadings are:

1) In caps.
2) Incomprehensible to the author.
3) "I use it because I saw it on another pleading that one time I stumbled into a Federal case."

WHEREUPON, AND IN CONSIERATION OF THE FACTS RECITED IN APPENDIX A (INCOPORATED BY THIS INSTANT REFERENCE AS IF FULLY SET FORTH HEREIN)...

...get hosed lady.

I'm all for legal writing, and I know lots of words, but come the gently caress on.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Govern yourself accordingly.

Bitchiest sign off ever.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
I am legit involved in a pi case in federal court where opposing counsel used bolded and underline text throughout the brief, and I should point out not at the same time, he alternated his use. Also multiple exclamation points and in one instance a double exclamation point.

Law school doesn't train you for the most adequate way to humiliate a person like that in front of a judge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

xxEightxx posted:

I am legit involved in a pi case in federal court where opposing counsel used bolded and underline text throughout the brief, and I should point out not at the same time, he alternated his use. Also multiple exclamation points and in one instance a double exclamation point.

Law school doesn't train you for the most adequate way to humiliate a person like that in front of a judge.

Well, now I have to know more.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I didn't use them at first, but the partners kept telling me to add it back in, which I assume it why it continues to be used by a lot of people

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've got a bit of a background legal question, contract law, don't remember the assignation clauses but these were contracts between Canadian and US companies.

In the early paragraphs, there'd sometimes be some language as to the contract becoming valid when one dollar was given to the customer from the service provider. (It's been a while, I might not remember accurately), These were multi-million dollar, so I never quite figured out the fuss about a single US dollar... Or if we ever actually paid it. What the gently caress was that about? Creating consideration?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

FrozenVent posted:

I've got a bit of a background legal question, contract law, don't remember the assignation clauses but these were contracts between Canadian and US companies.

In the early paragraphs, there'd sometimes be some language as to the contract becoming valid when one dollar was given to the customer from the service provider. (It's been a while, I might not remember accurately), These were multi-million dollar, so I never quite figured out the fuss about a single US dollar... Or if we ever actually paid it. What the gently caress was that about? Creating consideration?

Sounds like it. A lot of contracts will say like "for $10 and other valuable consideration" regardless of the total value of the contract just to prevent any challenges to consideration if it gets litigated

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Do people actually challenge dozen page contracts, reviewed by dozens of lawyers, on the basis of not meeting Introduction to Contract Laws requirements?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.thelawyer.com/issues/30-january-2012/why-are-litigation-letters-often-so-dreadful/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Do people actually challenge dozen page contracts, reviewed by dozens of lawyers, on the basis of not meeting Introduction to Contract Laws requirements?

No, because they *always* include "for one dollar".

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

FrozenVent posted:

When the poo poo hits the fan they will challenge anything they can, so yes.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Literally seen a national company lose on this issue - unenforceable due to lack of consideration.

Have you ever seen a Federal Judge 'lol'?

I have. It was beautiful.

(The company in question had in house counsel draft all their contracts, too.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's a matter of public record, right? Name and shame.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

xxEightxx posted:

See, I never try to humiliate opposing counsel no matter how big a dick or how useless they are:

A: It doesn't score me any points with the judge, who will get pissed at my clownery in his court. The judge is a jurist too. They know already.

B: It is uncollegial and will make me less popular in the field, because even bad lawyers have friends in the business.

C: It doesn't score me any points with the client, who doesn't know his rear end from his elbow legally speaking.

So as far as I'm concerned, I stick to my points and ignore that bullshit. Although I did once receive a motion that was so poorly written, I actually literally couldn't understand the contents, which I pointed out to the judge. I feel that was kind of a different situation though, and I also felt like a real dick later when it turned out the opposing counsel had fired their secretary (this was way out in the boonies) and so they'd probably written it themselves.... and they only had one arm. Yikes. Still settled heavily in my favour though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm thinking of making this writeup ("a certain creative professional is a huge douchebag") public:
http://imgur.com/a/xDjKV

Under American law, would that give him cause to launch a defamation suit? How would that work, since I don't live in the states?

(I've actually written several of these, but this is the first one writing up a person petty enough I'm actually somewhat concerned)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Xander77 posted:

I'm thinking of making this writeup ("a certain creative professional is a huge douchebag") public:

Under American law, would that give him cause to launch a defamation suit? How would that work, since I don't live in the states?

(I've actually written several of these, but this is the first one writing up a person petty enough I'm actually somewhat concerned)

1. He'd probably use your country's defamation laws, which are probably more helpful to him.
2. You have too much spare time.

e:

exploded mummy posted:

It just keeps going

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Ted Rall, and why does anyone still care?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 26, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

It just keeps going

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like it's already public to me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You are really upset with Ted Rall.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Looks like it's already public to me.

Not Empty quote.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. It costs money to defend a lawsuit, especially from abroad, even if the suit is baseless.

It's trivially easy to sue you, get a default judgment, and ruin your life. Especially if you don't have the money to undo it.

Again - even baseless suits can be successful and ruin your life.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

lol seeing this stupid thing never fails to make me laugh, as does thinking that there are people who actually read it all

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did no one ever teach that woman that brevity is the soul of wit? Jesus!

http://i.imgur.com/CyFyMRL.jpg

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NancyPants posted:

Did no one ever teach that woman that brevity is the soul of wit? Jesus!

http://i.imgur.com/CyFyMRL.jpg

Fuckin lol

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah I know the joke is that Atlas Shrugged is long and pointless but I've never actually subjected myself to the pap before. Sword-kun was all I could see as I skipped around and Juan was still droning on, repeating himself.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

NancyPants posted:

Yeah I know the joke is that Atlas Shrugged is long and pointless but I've never actually subjected myself to the pap before. Sword-kun was all I could see as I skipped around and Juan was still droning on, repeating himself.

You mean you haven't memorized the entirety of the John Galt monologue?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Vargatron posted:

You mean you haven't memorized the entirety of the John Galt monologue?

I know, just put me against the wall now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

It's a matter of public record, right? Name and shame.

Hertz Rent-A-Car lol