Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
About 9:40 p.m. local time, large numbers of armed men shouting "Allāhu Akbar" (God is great) approached the compound from multiple directions.[72][77] They then threw grenades over the wall and entered the compound with automatic weapons fire, RPGs, and heavier weapons.[78][76] A Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) agent viewed on the consulate's security cameras "a large number of men, armed men, flowing into the compound".[75] He hit the alarm and started shouting, "Attack! Attack!" over the loudspeaker.[79] Phone calls were made to the embassy in Tripoli, the Diplomatic Security Command Center in Washington, the February 17th Martyrs Brigade and a U.S. quick reaction force located at the annex compound a little more than a mile (1.6 km) away.[80][81] Ambassador Stevens telephoned Deputy Chief of Mission Gregory Hicks in Tripoli to tell him the consulate was under attack. Hicks did not recognize the phone number so he did not answer it, twice. On the third call Hicks answered the call.[82]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts posted:

So what's the deal with Benghazi? People make a big fuss but has anyone actually articulated what Hillary personally did wrong? As far I can tell she didn't increase security after a request for more security, but that seems like more of an oversight rather than "treason", since the state department probably deals with thousands of different communications/requests on a daily basis.

I just ask because looking back the right-wing media were going rabid about it for years afterward leading up until the election and now you don't hear about it.

It's an insane bit of Washington kabuki theater revolving around the fact that 1) there was a cover up of legitimately damning events and 2) everyone investigating knows what was being covered up but doesn't want to uncover it since they approve of what was being covered up and are just using events for political gain

the "embassy" was a cia base with irresponsibly minimal levels of security because the cia and the military were engaged in a slapfight over the level and nature of the us's support of the rebels. the cia was comfortable with much higher level of radical islamist sentiment and flying of al quaeda flags in the groups we supported then the military was. the cia was keeping the base on the downlow and the military out of their business as a result.

the nature of the base needed to be covered up since it was real unsavory and it was an election year. so then the nature/reason of the attack also had to be covered up to explain it.

the republicans used the obvious cover up to create a perpetual scandal to hit Obama and Clinton with. But since they're gay for dumbass cia nonsense (like everyone whose anyone in washington) they stuck with pointing out all the smoke and avoided addressing the fire

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Orkin Mang posted:

during the election i called her
shrillary klaxon

lol

Hmm. I give it... 4 stars out of 5.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

book shoulda been called "Too Many Cucks In The Clinton" imo

A bit obscure. 3/5.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SickZip posted:

It's an insane bit of Washington kabuki theater revolving around the fact that 1) there was a cover up of legitimately damning events and 2) everyone investigating knows what was being covered up but doesn't want to uncover it since they approve of what was being covered up and are just using events for political gain

the "embassy" was a cia base with irresponsibly minimal levels of security because the cia and the military were engaged in a slapfight over the level and nature of the us's support of the rebels. the cia was comfortable with much higher level of radical islamist sentiment and flying of al quaeda flags in the groups we supported then the military was. the cia was keeping the base on the downlow and the military out of their business as a result.

the nature of the base needed to be covered up since it was real unsavory and it was an election year. so then the nature/reason of the attack also had to be covered up to explain it.

the republicans used the obvious cover up to create a perpetual scandal to hit Obama and Clinton with. But since they're gay for dumbass cia nonsense (like everyone whose anyone in washington) they stuck with pointing out all the smoke and avoided addressing the fire

Correct

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Amarcarts posted:

So what's the deal with Benghazi? People make a big fuss but has anyone actually articulated what Hillary personally did wrong? As far I can tell she didn't increase security after a request for more security, but that seems like more of an oversight rather than "treason", since the state department probably deals with thousands of different communications/requests on a daily basis.

I just ask because looking back the right-wing media were going rabid about it for years afterward leading up until the election and now you don't hear about it.

the state department under hillary turned down requests for aid when vile rat is on record saying they were positive there was going to be a raid on the compound DAYS before he died in a raid on the compound. so i guess you can hem and haw about how what degree of personal responsibility clinton has in those deaths but even pragmatically looking at the situation there's really no way you can spin it positively besides 'oh well theres nothing we could have done!!' and guess what angle they took

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My favorite thing about Hillary was there are so many scandals.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned a cringe video of her and a cow so I googled "Hillary Cow"

I couldn't find the video but I did find a Hillary Scandal I hadn't even heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_cattle_futures_controversy

down n out posted:

Hey, how cool does this 37 year old that we're trying to foist on the American people look:

Please tell us how cool she is, this wasn't carefully curated by insider media boosts, this was totally organic.

People liked Ronald Reagan let's try to make her look like Reagan.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
i have it on good authority that the army had a rapid response team sitting on the tarmac in italy with engines hot and they were just waiting for a go signal that never came so there was just balls being dropped all around on that gay ben show

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think the state department requested additional security for middle eastern embassies and the senate and house republicans denied that budget :lol:

Also the only real forces beyond "half a dozen CIA dudes down the street" were i suppose fighter jets and helicopters in italy, who could have.... bombed an assembled crowd of people? Seems like a bad call.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sebastien Lenorman posted:

could have.... bombed an assembled crowd of people? Seems like a bad call.

It's been done many times before.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

SickZip posted:

what difference does it make

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I think my favorite thing about Hillary is her decades-spanning quest for power, amassing wealth and influence in all the networks that matter, hobbling every rival, having the media behemoth on her side and a hand-picked slimeball in the opposite corner, and she whiffs. Hard.

It's honestly forced me to reconsider whether money and media are as capable of shaping big events as I'd previously assumed they could.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Toadvine posted:

I think my favorite thing about Hillary is her decades-spanning quest for power, amassing wealth and influence in all the networks that matter, hobbling every rival, having the media behemoth on her side and a hand-picked slimeball in the opposite corner, and she whiffs. Hard.

It's honestly forced me to reconsider whether money and media are as capable of shaping big events as I'd previously assumed they could.

they used to be that capable but the internet is a cold, uncaring monster

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

they used to be that capable but the internet is a cold, uncaring monster

The internet is problematic

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
The internet hates women

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat
Internet gave us such terrifying things as Pepe the Frog. How can a politician, no matter how powerful, fight against such a force of nature?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Internet gave us such terrifying things as Pepe the Frog. How can a politician, no matter how powerful, fight against such a force of nature?

ah yes it was the memes and not the internet hacking that the news has been pushing for 6 months you are correct

e- also why is Facebook offering to help me spot fake news, are they talking about on TV or something

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

e- also why is Facebook offering to help me spot fake news, are they talking about on TV or something

We're going to end up with customized versions of Clippy popping up on our desktops telling us to stop looking at one thing and to look at another

I'm only half-kidding

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Whats cool is the intentional obfuscation of what fake news is in the media because to admit its existence is to admit that the sponsored content mainstream news providers have turned to for revenue are also fake news and they are hypocrites for hosting it and allowing it to seem relevant to actual news.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Libelous Slander posted:

Whats cool is the intentional obfuscation of what fake news is in the media because to admit its existence is to admit that the sponsored content mainstream news providers have turned to for revenue are also fake news and they are hypocrites for hosting it and allowing it to seem relevant to actual news.

look if we just hide the top trending stories and make our auto-completes intentionally spell things wrong no one will notice

don't worry, it's fine, everything's fine

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In the 90's a hip phrase was "no fate but what we make".

Now it's more like "no facts but what we make up".

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
the veil is dropping :twisted:

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

I mean its just as bad as the fact no one will touch automation in the first world directly competing with the labor pool so they can continue to spout the same talking points from 60 years ago in a disingenuous cash grab for power and votes rather than solutions based governance but thats as much the fault of a delusional electorate as anyone

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the Internet has created a new golden age of democracy. we are transforming into neo-Athens, soon enough we won't need the politicians or media at all

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
An internet crackdown is in the very near future. Politicians don't take losing money very lightly.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Amarcarts posted:

She did a bad thing, but not a Bad Thing.

I'm not going to try and earn e-cred by saying I was best buddies with Vilerat, but we'd PMed a few times, and it makes me angry that Clinton did not increase security. Not full on "LOCK HER UP" Michael Flynn style anger, but I do partly blame her his death, and feel her inability to say she did something wrong and accept she made a mistake is probably a major source of my hard feelings on that matter rather than a miscalculation on security for a single embassy.

Further, that mistake, coupled with her use of a personal email server and the ancedotes I'm seeing in regard to the campaign (such as the staffer she made switch roles and then tore into during debate prep) create a narrative of a woman who cannot accept constructive criticism, blames underlings for mistakes, and thinks if she can just craft the perfect message for those drat poors, they'll realize they're voting wrong.

I can see where that could create legitimate frustration, and I can see where someone less educated (or frankly, racist enough to think bad things wouldn't happen to them under Trump) who doesn't enjoy being told "do this or else" walked into a voting booth and pulled the lever for Trump, in the same way they might slam on the brakes when being tailgated.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 25, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
whoops hit quote not edit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rasta_Al posted:

An internet crackdown is in the very near future. Politicians don't take losing money very lightly.

they no longer have the power to kill the Internet. too many very rich capitalist depend on its existence. the fools have killed themselves

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

maskenfreiheit posted:

I can see where that could create legitimate frustration, and I can see where someone less educated (or frankly, racist enough to think bad things wouldn't happen to them under Trump) who doesn't enjoy being told "do this or else" walked into a voting booth and pulled the lever for Trump, in the same way they might slam on the brakes when being tailgated.

here's the thing (for like the millionth time)

this election was not about poor racists being unable to make a good decision

this was a broad spectrum of people either not voting or willingly tossing a brick through the DC window

in 2020 if the DNC can counter that populist sentiment with an outsider of their own, they'll win

if things stay the same as they are right now, nothing catastrophic happens, and then the DNC runs another corporate shill, they'll lose

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If America nation of racists then how we how elect black president, twice

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

here's the thing (for like the millionth time)

this election was not about poor racists being unable to make a good decision

this was a broad spectrum of people either not voting or willingly tossing a brick through the DC window

in 2020 if the DNC can counter that populist sentiment with an outsider of their own, they'll win

if things stay the same as they are right now, nothing catastrophic happens, and then the DNC runs another corporate shill, they'll lose

Yes, I agree w/ the corporate shill == lose sentiment.

And I don't think that ONLY racists elected Trump.

I do think that several states (PA, WI, MI) in the Midwest lost by a TINY margin, and that uneducated white voters probably played an oversized part in the election.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

If America nation of racists then how we how elect black president, twice

racism was over back in the 90s early 2000s, but now it's back on. it's cyclical, like the business cycle

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I can't seem to find this gif anywhere. Does anyone have the gif of the black and white wrestler staring at the camera? It's very important

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Over There posted:

I can't seem to find this gif anywhere. Does anyone have the gif of the black and white wrestler staring at the camera? It's very important

rocky is black and samoan you RACIST

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I cheered up a few of my friends and co-workers a little the day after the election with this joke:
"the silver lining is that we as a nation just elected our second person of color president"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Toadvine posted:

I cheered up a few of my friends and co-workers a little the day after the election with this joke:
"the silver lining is that we as a nation just elected our second person of color president"

technically black is the absence of color and white is a combination of all the colors so a white president is the ultimate "person of color"

:smugdon:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If anything, I just kinda feel like a disenfranchised voter. One of the only people in Washington who actually represented my interests got thrown under a bus. It's really evident that both major parties in the US are complete poo poo, and third parties are a joke. I voted for Hillary very begrudgingly. I might not bother voting again at this rate. When both choices would gladly stomp on my face, that doesn't give me a lot of incentive to pick one.

And what do you know, I'm not alone because voter turnout was absolutely abysmal and the worst it's ever been.

I used to be a Democrat but now I'm just... nothing. If they run Hillary again or someone like Mark Zuckerburg who has been considering a run, I absolutely won't vote.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If Ross Perot won in 1992 he would have saved us all.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

If anything, I just kinda feel like a disenfranchised voter. One of the only people in Washington who actually represented my interests got thrown under a bus. It's really evident that both major parties in the US are complete poo poo, and third parties are a joke. I voted for Hillary very begrudgingly. I might not bother voting again at this rate. When both choices would gladly stomp on my face, that doesn't give me a lot of incentive to pick one.

And what do you know, I'm not alone because voter turnout was absolutely abysmal and the worst it's ever been.

I used to be a Democrat but now I'm just... nothing. If they run Hillary again or someone like Mark Zuckerburg who has been considering a run, I absolutely won't vote.

Do what I did. Do your local and state research, vote local and state but don't vote for a presidential candidate. You'll feel good about not giving either corrupt national party your support and you'll feel even better about supporting local efforts that you actually have the power to influence.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That's good advice. Everyone should be more involved in their local and state politics since it has a much bigger direct impact on your life anyway.

National politics is just way more fun, I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

technically black is the absence of color and white is a combination of all the colors so a white president is the ultimate "person of color"

:smugdon:

light and pigment are different things but it's a good trumpian answer so ill allow it

• Locked thread