Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I heard a story that one of our janitors caused a major outage because they unplugged a router so they could plug in their vacuum. This allegedly happened before I got hired and I can't say I really believe it but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

However, I have had high temperature issues caused by janitors who left their cleaning carts in front of the air intake so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Tell that to the PCI compliance rule-writers.

Also, anyone get a 4:50pm webroot surprise?

gently caress WebRoot so hard.

We have 2 dozen major clients losing their poo poo about this this morning . Every Line of Business app they reply on was totally hosed by this. We are still dealing with the fall out. Releasing files from Quarantine is not instantaneous, so some are working, some aren't, they are screaming legal ramifications at us, it's a god damned legit nightmare right now over here.

And to think we just migrated to WebRoot after AVG CloudCare completely cut off over half the agents we had in the filed because they decided 2 years ago they were going to take down one of their update servers and not inform any of their loving partners that this was going to happen. Viola- 3000~ AV agents reporting to users that licenses expired and no updates. Solution? Manual uninstall and reinstall on each client. Actual Solution? Migrate to WebRoot.
Than this. Argh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No, PCI - payment card industry. Credit and debit cards. You follow their rules or you don't get to take payments.

Yes, I'm well aware of what you meant. PCI is a bunch of private regulations that is largely just so payment processors can cover their butts.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

lampey posted:

No, weak passwords are better than the same password reused on ten different third party services. We moved to using 2fa for most things but until 100% is under 2fa the password policy wont change substantially.

Password rotation just makes reuse more likely. Rotation is not about security but mitigation of leaked passwords.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, I'm well aware of what you meant. PCI is a bunch of private regulations that is largely just so payment processors can cover their butts.

You edited in the other part after I quoted, so I see you knew that, but I have to ask again, who cares if it's just to cover their butts? They make the rules, and no one here is in a position to challenge that.

CommieGIR posted:

What, you mean managers? There's plenty of DEFCON talks on why PCI Compliance is less about securing anything, and more about covering Payment Processor's asses.

And you said "managers?" in response to "tell that to the rule-writers." I feel like you don't have a full grasp on the realities of the situation rather than the theories and perfect-world scenarios.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You edited in the other part after I quoted, so I see you knew that, but I have to ask again, who cares if it's just to cover their butts? They make the rules, and no one here is in a position to challenge that.

And you said "managers?" in response to "tell that to the rule-writers." I feel like you don't have a full grasp on the realities of the situation rather than the theories and perfect-world scenarios.

Whatever you say, buddy.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CommieGIR posted:

Whatever you say, buddy.

Right on :hf:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Still disagree with you, but all right ;)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CommieGIR posted:

Still disagree with you, but all right ;)

I'm just happy we're not going to break down in to hysterics screaming at each other through text. It's refreshing to disagree politely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Renegret posted:

I heard a story that one of our janitors caused a major outage because they unplugged a router so they could plug in their vacuum. This allegedly happened before I got hired and I can't say I really believe it but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.
Our cleaning people bash the gently caress out of any PC tower on the floor with the vacuums at night.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We had an electrician trigger our halon system once. That was fun.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

However, I have had high temperature issues caused by janitors who left their cleaning carts in front of the air intake so...

At one of the retail stores we support, the cleaning staff (or staff that was cleaning, not sure) plugged a vacuum into the lovely UPS they used, the UPS got smoked as did everything plugged into it, a server, a switch, router and modem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CommieGIR posted:

We had an electrician trigger our halon system once. That was fun.

Did you let him out, or did you let nature take its course and hope the replacement would be more competent?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you let him out, or did you let nature take its course and hope the replacement would be more competent?

He made it out in time, he hit the emergency door release and got the gently caress out before the halon really got into the room, thankfully it actually triggered the whole system alarms and all, not just the release.

It was just as well, because we were getting ready to switch to foam, and were just looking for an excuse to finally get the work order done to remove and replace the halon system. We still had to file an accident report, and it turned out the guy hadn't been trained properly and was in the wrong panel even.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MF_James posted:

At one of the retail stores we support, the cleaning staff (or staff that was cleaning, not sure) plugged a vacuum into the lovely UPS they used, the UPS got smoked as did everything plugged into it, a server, a switch, router and modem.

Well, how *else* would they vacuum during a power outage?

(I can see some of the previous janitorial staff doing that, because they would do poo poo like remove items from the trash/recycling bins and put them back on people's desks, apparently in the belief that they really *didn't* mean to throw it away. The doctors were not amused.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

(I can see some of the previous janitorial staff doing that, because they would do poo poo like remove items from the trash/recycling bins and put them back on people's desks, apparently in the belief that they really *didn't* mean to throw it away. The doctors were not amused.)

Some cleaning staff are very passive-agressive, they might be trying to say that they are not allowed to put that in there or whatever.

Also, we have one more agressive than passive cleaning lady who literally went into a shouting match with one of our techs over streaks left in the toilet bowl after she deduced he was the last person to use that shitter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People are loving disgusting though. Piss on the rim and skid marks in the pan are easy to take care of without leaving it for the next person. Granted this also relies on people not firehosing the brush as well.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

It was just as well, because we were getting ready to switch to foam, and were just looking for an excuse to finally get the work order done to remove and replace the halon system.
Foam? That's one I'm not aware of in a datacenter setting. Can you link the product you're using?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thanks Ants posted:

People are loving disgusting though. Piss on the rim and skid marks in the pan are easy to take care of without leaving it for the next person. Granted this also relies on people not firehosing the brush as well.

You're lucky people even flush the toilet. That simple step is often missed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in:

A local High School's return fiber went completely dark.

Ticket Closed: School's server closet is completely empty and our fiber jumper was left dangling, not plugged into anything.

It's the ISP's fault anyway

Tape a laser pointer to your end and call it a day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aunt Beth posted:

Foam? That's one I'm not aware of in a datacenter setting. Can you link the product you're using?

The DC space we have stuff in has really fine mist spray things. It's quite old though.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Aunt Beth posted:

Foam systems I've seen are basically soap but they weren't datacenter systems.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Modern datacenters just use distilled water.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Some cleaning staff are very passive-agressive, they might be trying to say that they are not allowed to put that in there or whatever.

Also, we have one more agressive than passive cleaning lady who literally went into a shouting match with one of our techs over streaks left in the toilet bowl after she deduced he was the last person to use that shitter.

I don't know for sure; as I understand it, the contracted company wished them best of luck in their future endeavors. :byewhore:

The docs were getting asstons of freebie magazines, some even vaguely having relevance to their specialities - they'd toss a pile of these in the trash, next morning they'd find them all neatly stack back on the desk. Same thing happened down in my office, with old catalogs. (We had, and still have, nice marked bins for shredding confidential materials, but otherwise we don't recycle all that poo poo.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

I don't know for sure; as I understand it, the contracted company wished them best of luck in their future endeavors. :byewhore:

The docs were getting asstons of freebie magazines, some even vaguely having relevance to their specialities - they'd toss a pile of these in the trash, next morning they'd find them all neatly stack back on the desk. Same thing happened down in my office, with old catalogs. (We had, and still have, nice marked bins for shredding confidential materials, but otherwise we don't recycle all that poo poo.)

Well then those trash-bin-emptying employees just suck at their job. Not that being passive-agressive is less sucky.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bigass Moth posted:

You're lucky people even flush the toilet. That simple step is often missed.

Or worse, you have low flow toilets and people with meat heavy diets that refuse to do the multiple flushes it takes to get rid of their mess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aunt Beth posted:

I'll try to see if I can find it, but it was a waterless foam, we never got to use it.

spankmeister posted:

Modern datacenters just use distilled water.

Or clean agents like FM-200 or Novatec 1230

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

semi related - I a secretary at my last joint used t o take things out of the confidential recycling because she thought it was important and needed to be dealt with. Which it had already been but then caused me to have to go through everything again because it was mixed in with the work I needed to do. This is how i picked up the habit of ripping things in half as I completed them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Bad: the city of Newark, NJ (I live in the suburb of Union, right next door kinda) has had its computers get cryptowalled: http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2017/04/hackers_reportedly_disable_newark_computers_and_de.html#incart_river_home

Worse: the comments section

Redeeming factor: according to public records I blow the city IT manager's salary outta the water

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If what I found is the guy's salary, the city of Newark is coming out ahead even after paying the ransom.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Blue_monday posted:

semi related - I a secretary at my last joint used t o take things out of the confidential recycling
I hate those things as we have one from a fortnightly shredder service with a lock with a slot you post your documents into so of course every now and then someone will accidentally drop something in or need to retrieve something, handy Mr. Admin knows how to break into things so he'll help!
Spoilers: The lock just has a triangle tumbler easily opened with a small hex socket, master lockpicker up in here

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

This is what we are using.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm in the middle of a rather large install and I have a co-worker on site helping me. Said co-worker gives me a blank look when I try to explain to him that deleting a user is not a priority and getting poo poo out of a rack so we can put our poo poo into said rack is.

He just kind of shakes his head and goes "okay" like I'm the idiot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Super Slash posted:

I hate those things as we have one from a fortnightly shredder service with a lock with a slot you post your documents into so of course every now and then someone will accidentally drop something in or need to retrieve something, handy Mr. Admin knows how to break into things so he'll help!
Spoilers: The lock just has a triangle tumbler easily opened with a small hex socket, master lockpicker up in here

The lock is only there to keep honest people honest. You could fish things out with chewing gum up on a string too since it's just a slot to put things in instead of a mechanism.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Today someone asked for a new waste toner cartridge, because the one in their printer is empty.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's awesome.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Super Slash posted:

At that previous job I couldn't quickly get a hold of anyone at Iron Mountain to get a key to unlock the console so I quite easily pried it open with a screwdriver.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

Today someone asked for a new waste toner cartridge, because the one in their printer is empty.

Those things are really poor at containing human waste

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Renegret posted:

My MSP supports a lot of schools; I can assure you this most definitely does happen from time to time. Random WAPs, maybe a printer or two, and (on several occasions) the master switch. The schools freak the gently caress out when their phones are down, but apparently won't tell the janitors that they should not ever unplug things, because it happens over and over again, and the janitors don't plug the stuff back in, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My analysis is that if a janitor has access to unplug critical infrastructure, you're already hosed.

• Locked thread