Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
As dumb as most of their other decisions are, I have to say they've been doing well in the flavor department when it comes to creature types. Zombie Jackal is a cool creature type and it reminds me that this is a cool fantasy card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Why in the gently caress is Thorn of the Black Rose a $12.00 card on MODO. Palace Sentinels $4.60?!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why in the gently caress is Thorn of the Black Rose a $12.00 card on MODO. Palace Sentinels $4.60?!

I don't play modo but you can only open them from treasure chests I think

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Elyv posted:

Yep. There's no "normal" way to get them because they decided to stop selling the commander decks because ???

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Elyv posted:

So is Queen Marchesa who is a Mythic (also used for Commander) and she's only 6 dollars

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Miracles was more of a prison deck than a control deck anyway...

closest thing to a control deck that was worth playing in any format, anyway

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pauper.

UberJew posted:

closest thing to a control deck that was worth playing in any format, anyway

It was a control deck with a minor prison element.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It's crystal balls time to shine.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Heroes' Podium finds you Venser and Clique.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GonSmithe posted:

As dumb as most of their other decisions are, I have to say they've been doing well in the flavor department when it comes to creature types. Zombie Jackal is a cool creature type and it reminds me that this is a cool fantasy card game.

No Jackal God, no deal. :colbert:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The Invocation typeline only barely fits "Legendary Creature - God"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It's Mogis all over again!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm bummed that Hazoret didn't care about Jackals after all. :(

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

mossyfisk posted:

The Invocation typeline only barely fits "Legendary Creature - God"
That sounds like the fault of the designer, not the type line.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Speaking of Hazoret, her upward climb is continuing, up to $10 now on TCGP. To me it seems warranted. The card is pretty nuts, and it is an insane topdeck on almost any board state.

Here's a list I've been working on

The Pervert
4 Flameblade Adept
4 Noose Constrictor
2 Ravenous Bloodseeker
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Stromkirk Occultist
3 Hazoret, the PervertFervent
4 Honored Hydra
1 Heart-Piercer Manticore

3 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
1 Insult//Injury
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Shock

4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade
4 Sheltered Thicket
5 Mountain
5 Forest
1 Drownyard Temple

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Snacksmaniac posted:

Soothsaying

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress me I thought this was some worthless crap card and sold it for like .05 cents to some bot like five days ago.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Speaking of Hazoret, her upward climb is continuing, up to $10 now on TCGP. To me it seems warranted. The card is pretty nuts, and it is an insane topdeck on almost any board state.

Here's a list I've been working on

The Pervert
4 Flameblade Adept
4 Noose Constrictor
2 Ravenous Bloodseeker
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Stromkirk Occultist
3 Hazoret, the PervertFervent
4 Honored Hydra
1 Heart-Piercer Manticore

3 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
1 Insult//Injury
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Shock

4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade
4 Sheltered Thicket
5 Mountain
5 Forest
1 Drownyard Temple

Bloodrage Brawler seems like an auto-include. I'm not sold on Flameblade Adept being particularly great here either; your deck encourages you to be mostly at 1 card, but the Adept is only swinging for 1 at that point. Tireless Tracker doesn't have any particular synergy with the deck either, I think you just want Rhonas ($$$ tho) - curving Rhonas into Hazoret is loving filthy.

Cut Flameblade Adept, Tireless Tracker, Stromkirk Occultist, Sheltered Thicket/Drownyard Temple (you don't need taplands because your curve ends at 4 and you aren't going to have spare mana that often). Move Heart-Piercer to the board. Add another Lightning Axe. Add Rhonas, Bloodrage Brawler, Bomat Courier (alternatively, Insolent Neonate).

I'd probably keep Shock for the board against Combo and stick with Axes + Temper as your removal suite.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Oooh, yeah Bloodrage Brawler is definitely an oversight there. I will defend the Adept though, that guy has really overperformed and gives the deck it's strongest-feeling starts. I actually had Bomat Courier in there originally but it just didn't seem good, it gets in for maaaybe a damage before out just turns in to a "dump your hand" outlet. I had the list way more tuned for going hellbent originally but unfortunately that's just not a good way to win games in current standard. You need a way to get back in the game if you're out of cards and they answer your threats, hence Tireless Tracker. In addition to just being generically powerful, it lets you sock away some cards for later without ruining the hand size game. Occultist is definitely too cute. I also agree that the Cycling lands don't line up as well as it seems like they should.

I think I'm gonna try -1 Manticore, -2 Occultist, -1 Tireless Tracker for 4 Bloodrage Brawler and see how that feels. -3 Shock and +1 Lightning Axe, +2 Rhonas seems great.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 25, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Oooh, yeah Bloodrage Brawler is definitely an oversight there. I will defend the Adept though, that guy has really overperformed and gives the deck it's strongest-feeling starts. I actually had Bomat Courier in there originally but it just didn't seem good, it gets in for maaaybe a damage before out just turns in to a "dump your hand" outlet. I had the list way more tuned for going hellbent originally but unfortunately that's just not a good way to win games in current standard. You need a way to get back in the game if you're out of cards and they answer your threats, hence Tireless Tracker. In addition to just being generically powerful, it lets you sock away some cards for later without ruining the hand size game. Occultist is definitely too cute. I also agree that the Cycling lands don't line up as well as it seems like they should.

I think I'm gonna try -1 Manticore, -2 Occultist, -1 Tireless Tracker for 4 Bloodrage Brawler and see how that feels. I'll try the other three Trackers for Rhonas too but Tracker seems really strong in the deck

The reason why Heckbent as a strategy isn't going to be good is that the combo is stupid. But at the FNM level I just concede I'll lose against combo and its fine.

I'd still consider Rhonas, you're playing green with a ton of ways to get him going. If you get Rhonas + Hazoret out your opponent needs to be able to interact with Hazoret almost immediately in order to get into a winning position.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah I mean it's all academic because standard isn't even firing regularly at my LGS anymore

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Protean Hulk was 4 bucks yesterday and 25 today lol.
At least I got to snag 4 Tops for my EDH decks for 40 shipped!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Yeah I mean it's all academic because standard isn't even firing regularly at my LGS anymore

I went to a new shop the other day and they don't even try standard anymore. All modern and draft.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I went to a new shop the other day and they don't even try standard anymore. All modern and draft.

Same with the FLGS near me. They didn't fire off a single standard event last week

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheChirurgeon posted:

Same with the FLGS near me. They didn't fire off a single standard event last week

Sounds like we need more data. Maybe this is the month where Temur Tower will shine.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Shadow225 posted:

Protean Hulk was 4 bucks yesterday and 25 today lol.
At least I got to snag 4 Tops for my EDH decks for 40 shipped!

Time to dig out the one I have! Anyone interested??

I think in the previous thread people mentioned that KMCs suck now? Is that true and if so what's the hot new sleeve? Need to resleeve a deck and the cube probably needs it too but that's such a pain. Know people were happy with those dragon shields purple/turquoise mattes or whatever but I'd want something more neutral. Probably just black let's be real.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

Time to dig out the one I have! Anyone interested??

I think in the previous thread people mentioned that KMCs suck now? Is that true and if so what's the hot new sleeve? Need to resleeve a deck and the cube probably needs it too but that's such a pain. Know people were happy with those dragon shields purple/turquoise mattes or whatever but I'd want something more neutral. Probably just black let's be real.

Ultra Pro Eclipse Matte are great. KMC sadly suck now.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sounds like we need more data. Maybe this is the month where Temur Tower will shine.
Warfire Javelineer will totes be a bomb in Tower you guys!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Walked posted:

Eclipse all the way. The only problem is that they caught on really strong at first and finding them is kind of hard it seems. It also seems to be much cheaper for LGS's to buy them and the prices are all over the place. Some stores are trying to sell them at kmc prices while others are charging like 5 bucks. Hopefully things will even out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

They sounded much more dejected this time. They did not kid themselves about the state of standard. Their argument was different and a bit more honest this time -- things do suck but we're giving it one more shot with an influx of new cards. Which is still hoping for a lot. I think the past season sufficiently proved that a resilient turn 4 combo simply has no place in standard.

If things are dire during the PT, an actual emergency ban might be coming.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You can bulk order from potomac distro for $41/8 packs which is like $50 for 8 shipped. The color I want isn't in stock but as soon as they are I'm pulling the trigger. Need to resleeve all my modern stuff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Mine does Modern/EDH/Pauper on a rotation on Fridays and drafts on weekends. I need something bad to happen in either EDH or Pauper so I can get Modern every other week instead. I don't remember the last time they did Standard there in all honesty.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Rinkles posted:

They sounded much more dejected this time. They did not kid themselves about the state of standard. Their argument was different and a bit more honest this time -- things do suck but we're giving it one more shot with an influx of new cards. Which is still hoping for a lot. I think the past season sufficiently proved that a resilient turn 4 combo simply has no place in standard.

If things are dire during the PT, an actual emergency ban might be coming.

They normalized a banning opportunity on set release and after the PT. You think they're going to depart from the new schedule and do an emergency ban out of cycle?

I mean after their dumbass standard rotation changes it wouldn't be unprecedented lol.

Edit:

"Oh really, you persecute me just because I don't ban this oppressive combo?" *all the girls get mad at me* "I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm trying to emergency ban it!"

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 25, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Walked posted:

How do they perform compared to the dragon shield mattes? I need to place another order from potomac dist anyway. Millenium blades was on sale and it's like a permanent cube game.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Walked posted:

Do ultra pros still have that stupid circle holo stamp?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Do ultra pros still have that stupid circle holo stamp?

Nope! They actually listened after a decade or more of that poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

How do they perform compared to the dragon shield mattes? I need to place another order from potomac dist anyway. Millenium blades was on sale and it's like a permanent cube game.

If you don't double sleeve, arguing over which is better is pointless. Its basically depending on if you like or dislike the black background in the sleeve. Shuffle and durability are almost the same.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

clamiam45 posted:

They normalized a banning opportunity on set release and after the PT. You think they're going to depart from the new schedule and do an emergency ban out of cycle?

I mean after their dumbass standard rotation changes it wouldn't be unprecedented lol.

Edit:

"Oh really, you persecute me just because I don't ban this oppressive combo?" *all the girls get mad at me* "I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm trying to emergency ban it

Remember how late in the season that second ban date actually was. If the Cat spoils another season, I think it'd be disastrous if they waited that long before acting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Remember how late in the season that second ban date actually was. If the Cat spoils another season, I think it'd be disastrous if they waited that long before acting.

It has a huge chance of loving up at least half of a season before it can even be banned. Half of a season is pretty loving huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
In a stunning return to form, I wrote a short obituary for Sensei's Divining Top, where I am extraordinarily fair and balanced in talking about this historically important card. http://blog.killgold.fish/2017/04/senseis-divining-top-even-handed-and.html