Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

PureRok posted:

Is the combat a bit faster? That was my issue with the first one. It was just too slow. I'm a huge DQ fan (and Warriors fan, obviously), but the combat just didn't feel right. It was too fast if they were trying to be like the DQ games, and much too slow to be a Warriors game.

Like, what I wanted from DQ: Warriors is basically what Hyrule Warriors was.

The damage on normal attacks never quite got where I really wanted it to be, but I found there were more than enough special attacks to make up for it in general, especially since you can swap around characters. The third level magic spells in particular do a lot of damage. There were a few sections where even the medium sized enemies took a bit more damage than I wanted, making it a bit of a slog, though. In terms of movement you can get going at a decent speed out of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My problem with the first DQH was that it was a huge grind when trying to do quests. I spent over an hour on a map farming walking corpses to get 3 turtle shell things and only got 1. That's crazy.

Also sometimes a group of big enemies takes forever to kill even with powered up mode. The tower defense stuff wasn't as interesting in practice either.

Tried the DQH2 demo and I'm not sure of the structure of the game. Also the combat felt like overkill when I was rolling with a team to take out little groups of dudes. Are there big masses of enemies like in the usual musou?

Selane
May 19, 2006

All the dumb tower defense and fights against bigger enemies is what made me give up on the first DQH anyway. When I play a drat musou game I want to swing my sword and kill like 30,000 mooks at the same time, that's the whole point.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, it's still not full musou or anything like that. There are still plenty of big enemies and the odd boss encounter like in the first game, even special enemy encounters which "warp" you away to a little arena, almost like the DW6 duels.

Your hit point totals never get that high either, which makes a lot of characters quite weak to enemy attacks if you don't take care. I had Torneko in my team the entire game because of his healing skill.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neither game had Musou in the title in Japan, so they were never really Warriors games anyway.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Is it the series where the producer came out and straight up said it isn't a musou? I'm sure that happened.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Warriors All-Stars Headed To North America On August 29, Europe On September 1 For PS4 And PC"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've read elsewhere that Musou Stars somehow has bad framerate issues, at least on certain hardware configs like PS4 Pro on Boost Mode.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXn6ey0d9fs

Article and screenshots.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Got finished with Samurai Warriors 4 recently:

- Street Fighter 2 HD Remix has 2 arcade modes in which you fight the same opponents but in one the first few put up much more a fight. I wouldn't mind something like that in Warriors games where you could have every battle be max star difficulty. I know there's chronicle mode but by the time I unlocked max star difficulty battles I had already seen and grown very bored with every battle configuration the mode had.

- They really need to do something about that message log. It simply can't keep up with the battle. In one video walkthrough the player, only 2 minutes in, had to wait around for a whole minute for the higher priority messages to finish so a bonus objective to trigger. There were also plenty of times where I had to wait around a minute for a gate to open so the battle could continue because the gate opening event is behind a queue of messages telling me what I did several minutes before. Speedrunning battles for objective completion just isn't possible and getting 100% was hell. Maybe a seperate message log for what the player does would unclog it or just have most of what the player does only appear in the in-game battle log.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Motto posted:

I've read elsewhere that Musou Stars somehow has bad framerate issues, at least on certain hardware configs like PS4 Pro on Boost Mode.

Bad performance in the original version plus KT port. I've not had issues with the previous KT ports, but I'm uneasy about doing another pull in this Russian roulette.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Death Zebra posted:

Got finished with Samurai Warriors 4 recently:

- They really need to do something about that message log. It simply can't keep up with the battle. In one video walkthrough the player, only 2 minutes in, had to wait around for a whole minute for the higher priority messages to finish so a bonus objective to trigger. There were also plenty of times where I had to wait around a minute for a gate to open so the battle could continue because the gate opening event is behind a queue of messages telling me what I did several minutes before. Speedrunning battles for objective completion just isn't possible and getting 100% was hell. Maybe a seperate message log for what the player does would unclog it or just have most of what the player does only appear in the in-game battle log.

i heard this is mostly cause they have to subtitle all the lines for us, all that extra text takes up way too much time

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really hope they'll do English VA for at least DW9, whenever that is coming out.
It really makes a big difference.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Above poster makes me sad that even if they did do that, Roger Craig Smith would not be Zhang Liao again.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Folks, I have a confession to make.

I don't think I like Dynasty Warriors. Don't get me wrong, I love the gameplay, but I could not give even the World's Tiniest poo poo about any of the characters. And initially, I loved the weapon switching in DW7/8, but now it just makes every character feel less unique, as simply equipping a weapon lets you do 98% of that weapon's moveset (with the last 2% being EX moves). I don't have quite the same problem with Samurai Warriors, thankfully, as I care a little bit more about the characters, but only a little bit, and I do love SR4's addition of Hyper Attacks.

Are there any non-DW/SW Musou-likes that y'all would recommend? I recently rented Fate/Extella and I love it; it's actually very close to being one of my favorite Musou-likes on the strength of its gameplay alone.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

If you haven't tried any of the anime/spin off warriors games, go for it. One Piece, Gundam, Hyrule, Dragon Quest are all good. Berserk and Arslan were okay? Since you dig Samurai Warriors you may enjoy Warriors Orochi as well. They all have their own pace to combat and movesets are generally unique. I have a hard time recommending non Omega Force games beyond Extella though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 gameplay is top notch, in fact I'm replaying DW 8 and I'm having trouble finding it as interesting as before. The main problem with One Piece (aside from being animu) is that they tried to cram so much poo poo into it that they barely explain the story and background.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Simon The Digger posted:

And initially, I loved the weapon switching in DW7/8, but now it just makes every character feel less unique, as simply equipping a weapon lets you do 98% of that weapon's moveset (with the last 2% being EX moves)?

Can't you just stick to characters' own weapons? I had the same problem in DW7 especially as it has plenty of crappy weapon classes because of the elements but in 8 I stuck to characters own weapons and was a lot happier with it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fate/Extella Switch version on july

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Of all things. Why?

I like the game, but I feel like most of the people who would want it already have it/don't have a switch either.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

If you haven't tried any of the anime/spin off warriors games, go for it. One Piece, Gundam, Hyrule, Dragon Quest are all good. Berserk and Arslan were okay? Since you dig Samurai Warriors you may enjoy Warriors Orochi as well. They all have their own pace to combat and movesets are generally unique. I have a hard time recommending non Omega Force games beyond Extella though.

I've played OPPW3, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1-3 (but not Reborn, because my PS3 conked out before it came out), Dragon Quest Heroes was a bit too slow for my taste, and I don't own anything that can play Hyrule Warriors. I owned Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (or whatever the PS4 version was called) but having to play with the stripped down DW7/SW3 versions of characters after playing DW8 and SW4 bummed me out enough that I eventually traded it in. I've heard bad things about Berserk and the Band of the Hawk (seriously, why did they name it that?) and I really don't care one way or the other about Arslan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Then other than HW you've played pretty much every Warriors style game worth playing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Simon The Digger posted:

I've played OPPW3, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1-3 (but not Reborn, because my PS3 conked out before it came out), Dragon Quest Heroes was a bit too slow for my taste, and I don't own anything that can play Hyrule Warriors. I owned Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (or whatever the PS4 version was called) but having to play with the stripped down DW7/SW3 versions of characters after playing DW8 and SW4 bummed me out enough that I eventually traded it in. I've heard bad things about Berserk and the Band of the Hawk (seriously, why did they name it that?) and I really don't care one way or the other about Arslan.

The only bad thing about Berserk is that it has a pitifully small roster of playable characters. The characters themselves are well-put together, but it's pretty maddening not to have more to choose from. The story mode is a pretty good summary of the whole Berserk story, which was very engaging for me as a newcomer to it. It's not a bad purchase on sale.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Irisize posted:

Of all things. Why?

I like the game, but I feel like most of the people who would want it already have it/don't have a switch either.

Because the Switch is the new Vita except it can have 20fps instead of 5fps

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vita's dead and 3DS has like a year left in it, what else are you gonna release stuff on?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Vita's dead and 3DS has like a year left in it, what else are you gonna release stuff on?

Smart phones?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I can agree that the two weapon system was an awful choice. I mean yeah you can choose to just use the character's personal weapon, but I don't know, everything feels less unique this way... the only characters in the main DW saga I would like the option for would be Xiahou Yuan and Huang Zhong to have a sword and a bow since the bow as a solo weapon is unrealistic and if you give them just the sword then it downplays their alleged archery prowess.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Characters not being unique has been a time honored tradition since DW1.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Played DW 3 today. The nostalgia was orgasmic.

Albeit I'll never forget how awful the morale system is. One guy taking on 100 offscreen is safer, since the unit with higher morale wins and losing soldiers drops morale. Awful in a funny way, getting all your units to have 8 morale so they can take on all the soldiers single-handed.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Manic X posted:

I can agree that the two weapon system was an awful choice. I mean yeah you can choose to just use the character's personal weapon, but I don't know, everything feels less unique this way...

I agree. I think the only reasons I benefitted from using only personal weapons in DW8 were that it was a 'new' game and I did it from the outset. I would have preferred using 2 people instead of 2 weapons especially as DW7 switched characters on you mid-battle anyway and they already had character switching from Warriors Orochi.

There are some upsides though including combos (which they nixxed in DW7XL with the infinite combo prevention system) and a slightly deeper combat system if your weapons have different elements for different uses like in Ponctans DW8 tier list videos.

Manic X posted:

Albeit I'll never forget how awful the morale system is. One guy taking on 100 offscreen is safer, since the unit with higher morale wins and losing soldiers drops morale. Awful in a funny way, getting all your units to have 8 morale so they can take on all the soldiers single-handed.

It was freaking hilarious how fast allies died on hard mode. Someone reported AI Lu Meng getting 850 kills in DW4's Nanman battle because of the morale system. Never managed to replicate it myself.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Simon The Digger posted:

If you like Gundam and have access / are willing to import or make a foreign PSN account, Gundam Breaker 3 is kind of Musou-like, and you get to create your own mobile suits out of individual parts from about 180 different models. It's even entirely in english! It's rad as heck.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

If you like Gundam and have access / are willing to import or make a foreign PSN account, Gundam Breaker 3 is kind of Musou-like, and you get to create your own mobile suits out of individual parts from about 180 different models. It's even entirely in english! It's rad as heck.

Never heard of this and will definitely be purchasing now. Thanks

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Death Zebra posted:

It was freaking hilarious how fast allies died on hard mode. Someone reported AI Lu Meng getting 850 kills in DW4's Nanman battle because of the morale system. Never managed to replicate it myself.

Yeah Yi Ling DW 3 on hard was so difficult since all of your allies except your leader begin on the verge of being wiped out. I must admit the only enemy AI that used to reach 50 kills was Lu Bu on Hu Lao. One time he got to a hundred. My allies would occasionally hit 50.

I was a bit disappointed that they removed this notification in later games. Saying that, getting 1000 kills in DW 3 required quite a lot of grinding or killing everyone; but past DW5 you could get 1000 really quickly and it became less of an achievement. DW 3 and 4 had a really enjoyable flow to the battles; even if the morale system needed tweaking.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's been 15 years since I've done it but playing Yi Ling on hard is still burned fresh into my mind. A map that starts with you getting messages your allies are in danger is just insane. It is still the only time I've come close to running out the mission clock in the series.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

I actually own the Singaporean version of Gundam Breaker 3 (I bought the original on PS3 and loved it, but my PS3 died before I could play the second one) and it's amazing. I really want to get a Singaporean PSN card and grab the DLC, I hear it's also pretty good.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

McTimmy posted:

It's been 15 years since I've done it but playing Yi Ling on hard is still burned fresh into my mind. A map that starts with you getting messages your allies are in danger is just insane. It is still the only time I've come close to running out the mission clock in the series.

I know right.... if you was lucky you could save one of your endangered units. Never been able to do that stage saving them all.

I distinctly remember this stage because I did run down the clock and then my mom kicked me off the tv.

I have had the clock run down before but that was because Yuan Shao on Guan Du somehow glitched ontop of the castle wall and stayed there.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Simon The Digger posted:

I actually own the Singaporean version of Gundam Breaker 3 (I bought the original on PS3 and loved it, but my PS3 died before I could play the second one) and it's amazing. I really want to get a Singaporean PSN card and grab the DLC, I hear it's also pretty good.

Playasia usually has some cards.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is out today. What's different, what's changed

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You can play as everyones self insert the fat little merchant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tae posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is out today. What's different, what's changed

- The main characters can class change now.
- You can transform into monsters.
- Limited online (no local) 4 player campaign co-op, but the invited players need to have completed the mission first like in Nioh so don't buy this if you are in the camp where you want to co-op the entire campaign from the ground floor. There are challenge missions/boss battles that are multiplayer only. DQH2 is still mainly a single player game.
- World exploration is more "open" instead of being a mission select screen.
etc

If you liked the first game, it's basically an improvement in every way.