Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm pretty down on Sigma being DLC and whatnot but they showed no gameplay, just a cinematic trailer. Why is everyone determined to poo poo on the game as if they've had hands on time with it?

Hopelessly naive or w/e but I think it's kinda stupid to doomsay over a story trailer that was actually kinda neat.

Because we have nearly as many dlc characters as we have announced, in the game characters. It's not a matter of making GBS threads on the game, it's a matter of making GBS threads on a company's awful business practices and the game that is being ruined as a byproduct of those practices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

they confirmed 6 paid dlc characters at the end of the trailer, dude.

this is not even defensible. this is worse than sfxt. this is straight up robbery.

Capcom knows fighting games and the FGC are all about thuggery so they go all the way in marketing towards their audience

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm pretty down on Sigma being DLC and whatnot but they showed no gameplay, just a cinematic trailer. Why is everyone determined to poo poo on the game as if they've had hands on time with it?

Hopelessly naive or w/e but I think it's kinda stupid to doomsay over a story trailer that was actually kinda neat.

DLC nickel and dimeing has nothing to do with game play. I don't care if this game is 100x better than Ultimate Marvel 3, I will not pay for 6 DLC characters.

gently caress you Capcom, I bought SF vs Tekkin "on sale" but they failed to advertise half the characters were locked behind a pay wall. Game is worthless to me, I will not play a crippled game and I refuse to be extorted for additional money. Capcom gets nothing from me until they clean up their act.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I mean I get that it sucks- honest.

It's just at the same time I see dudes yelling buy Guilty Gear when that has DLC characters packed into entirely new games you have to buy (from what I understand?) so it seems kinda hypocritical on that front.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's just at the same time I see dudes yelling buy Guilty Gear when that has DLC characters packed into entirely new games you have to buy (from what I understand?) so it seems kinda hypocritical on that front.

arcsystem works has never lied about what it is selling to you and it shipped a more feature complete demo than sfv was a loving game

they have lovely business practices too, but they're way less bad than what capcom asks.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Jmcrofts posted:

The cycle never ends brother. Don't worry, in a few years when MVC5 is coming out we will all be talking about how lovely it looks compared to mvci.

If you bought them before they were removed you can still play them, but it's not possible to buy them anymore

to be fair, if the cycle continues, MVC5 will probably look lovely compared to MVCI,

its not like people are just filled with hate and vitriol because its new, its because it has some of the telltale signs of capcom loving up yet again. what percentage of 3d game people are disappointed looking at tekken 7 compared to 2d game people and mvci?

i think most people really want this game to be good and are continually disappointed by the info released. like capcoms PR is a disaster, they straight out of the gate had the producers giving backhanded slaps to the people that love their game saying that its unfair to casuals that they would need to purchase "$400 arcade controllers" to compete. they said this and a plethora of other dumb poo poo while releasing a trailer that looked a shocking amount like SFxT. this doesn't mean that the game still looks or ever played like sfxt, but this is the picture they chose to paint about their new game. if you've been paying attention i think it'd be hard to not feel a little disappointed

once again sirlin the GOD understands it best

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Announcing a season pass right out of the gate has been NetherRealm's MO for about three games now and Namco is doing it for Tekken 7 too. I don't like it very much, but this seems to be the norm for big ticket fighting games now.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
clone harada and make him the game director for everything.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

JordanKai posted:

Announcing a season pass right out of the gate has been NetherRealm's MO for about three games now and Namco is doing it for Tekken 7 too. I don't like it very much, but this seems to be the norm for big ticket fighting games now.

they get away with it by selling feature complete games that function on launch and aren't total reskins of old content

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kum and Dizzy were free on release. Raven is unlockable in game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of old school players are bummed about t7 though

https://twitter.com/TKJDCR/status/855025354590740481

not on SA though because no one on SA actually plays tekken other than brosnan

E: to give an actual effort response, I definitely think day 1 paid dlc characters is a lovely thing for players (though sadly pretty expected in tyool 2017) but I don't really see how anyone could look at the 30 seconds of gameplay we've seen and think that's enough to decide whether mvci looks like better or worse than 3. MvC3 ended up being an extremely different game from what people saw and experienced pre-release anyway.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

as much as i hate how NRS games play, they seem to have a lot of effort packed into all the parts I don't care about in fighting games. also you can play as the alien and freddie krueger

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7jHdScWW6k&hd=1

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

anime was right posted:

arcsystem works has never lied about what it is selling to you and it shipped a more feature complete demo than sfv was a loving game

they have lovely business practices too, but they're way less bad than what capcom asks.

Doesn't arcsystem never lie because they keep telling you to buy entirely different games for just like, 2-3 new characters?

Like I never got into Xrd but isn't it releasing a 3rd version soon that just adds Baiken and some other dude? I mean I'm not trying to defend SFV or anything, I'm just finding the situation kinda weird when it feels like the same thing with a different coat of paint.

dhamster posted:

Kum and Dizzy were free on release. Raven is unlockable in game.

That's fair. Most I saw is like, 3 versions of GGxrd and that feels strange when all I see is "this version has a few more characters and some designs got updated"

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 25, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Doesn't arcsystem never lie because they keep telling you to buy entirely different games for just like, 2-3 new characters?

Like I never got into Xrd but isn't it releasing a 3rd version soon that just adds Baiken and some other dude? I mean I'm not trying to defend SFV or anything, I'm just finding the situation kinda weird when it feels like the same thing with a different coat of paint.

The difference is that it's cheaper and the games are enormously better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like fighting games and arcade games were decades ahead of how all AAA games function these days. It's not new in this genre. Capcom's recent stuff just exploits consumers openly and aggressively while also having the games suck

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The big difference probably for a lot of people is that GG is fun and if your game is fun it can get away with a lot of poo poo.

Dota 2 releases like $30 glowing hats and people happily gobble it up because they love Dota 2

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

theres other balance/ui changes, the jump from sign to rev also added additional single player content (story mode + digital figures) and a new mechanic.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/01/guilty-gear-xrd-revelator-demo-now-ps4-lets-play-20-characters-3-modes/

this was a demo

it had more content than street fighter v on release

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's fair. Most I saw is like, 3 versions of GGxrd and that feels strange when all I see is "this version has a few more characters and some designs got updated"

I much prefer the "thousands of versions of street fighter 2" model vs the "release 8 characters and DLC the rest" model of nickel and dimeing. Mostly because I can just pick up super SF 2 Turbo on sale and skip all the previous iteration. Capcom DLC never seems to become cheaper, it's like paying for SF2 and Turbo AND super turbo if I want the complete game.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Revelator had new characters, system changes, graphics updates, and several hours of additional story content. Rev2 is $20.

SFV has been out barely a year and already costs $120

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Technically Rev2 is $40 if you are buying it from scratch but yeah. $20 for the upgrade from Rev1 and it includes 2 new characters, rebalances for everyone, new moves for a bunch of characters, new story mode and other stuff, interface updates, etc.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/dylanhecht/status/856899593929281536

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Arguing that because X game charges for new versions you can't object to Y doing it is a short-sighted position to take. Paid expansion content is the reality of 2017- even Smash charges you $5 a pop per system for dudes- but there is an ocean of difference between the balance adjustments, quality-of-life features and training & support add-ons that accompany "just some more characters" in an Xrd version update and announcing nearly as many DLC fighters as fighters announced in the core game for a game no one has even seen in action yet, especially in the context of that game's sister game releasing with next to no content or even quality control, period. Arcsys sells a complete package that feels like a broad expansion to a proven solid game; no one even knows who all is in MvC:I but we can prepay extra for half of them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol it seriously looks like a chinese f2p game, ui and all

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Capcom makes me so sad.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Because if it looks like a pile of poo poo and and talks like a pile of poo poo and gets marketed like a pile of poo poo, the least we can do is let it sell like a pile of poo poo.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

So, if arcsys had decided to do the f2p model and stuck with adding DLC to -SIGN-, which is three years old at this point, buying the ~11 DLC/new characters added from -SIGN- to Rev2 would cost the player about $88.

Kind of a wash compared to buying two new versions?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There are season passes and season passes. Getting the "full" SFV would set me back somewhere around 173 BRL. MKXL costs 100 BRL (both season packs), which is about what I paid for the full game at release, and just getting the two Kombat Packs would cost me 50. Updating from Xrd to Rev goes for 90 BRL. That's all on PC, by the way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jesus gently caress. I was not prepared for how terrible that trailer was. Why do all new licensed titles have character models with a plastic toy look? This game is going to be pure poo poo.

If I had the balls, I'd toxx that the game will be abandoned within 18 months after release, while everyone goes back to Marvel 3.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If I wanted to get into Xrd with all the characters and features I'd only have to pay $30 when Rev2 comes out ($40 if I NEED Rev1 now). In contrast for SFV, if I want all the characters (JUST the characters, I'd need to spend at least double that.) And that's counting sales while the former isn't.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 25, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus gently caress. I was not prepared for how terrible that trailer was. Why do all new licensed titles have character models with a plastic toy look? This game is going to be pure poo poo.

If I had the balls, I'd toxx that the game will be abandoned within 18 months after release, while everyone goes back to Marvel 3.

There's an esports scene, no one "goes back" to old games anymore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Same but I predict people will return to X-men vs Street fighter.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

NeoGAF posted:

How can it be 2017, you being on a gaming forum and having relatively more understanding of game development than your average consumer, not realize that DLC is planned in advance no matter what as games are treated as a service and have been for basically a decade, and be upset that developers have announced post-launch content and support?

Y'all really think developers wait for first week sales then suddenly make multimillion dollar decisions for whether and what they should do in terms of DLC?

With this naivete sometimes I feel like some gamers are permanently stuck in 2005, jesus christ. Also, boo hoo if it hurt feelings by announcing it sooner rather than later. At worst it gives me better context for my purchasing decisions (e.g. Sigma being one of the DLC characters).

I mean when there are only 2 new characters announced and 1 is DLC already maybe there's something to be said. also to be said, this is coming from the publisher who did SFV so "post launch support" might amount to "finish the game in the next 6 months"

at least MVCI will have arcade mode

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

T7 save us from Capcom.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Ahaha one of the main villains is dlc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I mean when there are only 2 new characters announced and 1 is DLC already maybe there's something to be said. also to be said, this is coming from the publisher who did SFV so "post launch support" might amount to "finish the game in the next 6 months"

at least MVCI will have arcade mode

NeoGaf is filled with corporate ballwashers who enjoy stroking and sucking the cocks of their multinational corporations.

The only thing worse then their gaming opinions are their opinions on politics as they are mostly neoliberal stooges for faux leftists Democrats.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even mind DLC so long as the game is complete otherwise and has good value

But I don't see the main game having that much content at launch

Edit: Sigma being dlc is garbage

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The naiveté of expecting a character announced 5 months before the game's release to actually be in the game

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

tfw rumors surface from the main insider guy that the game may have smash controls or autocombos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Paul Revere on horseback, alerting the countrymen of incoming capcom content bundles: "Play Xrd Revelator! Play Xrd Revelator!"