Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

My friend and I ended up in a battle on the high seas with a full group. They got too excited and flipped their boat and all clambered up the capsized ship to keep shooting at us, so I rammed them and boatsplattered four nerds like I was reenacting the USS Indianapolis shark attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i saw someone desperately asking for night maps/night vision goggles in the comments of the upcoming patch and why would you ever want the game to randomly decide "okay, you get to see a black screen for the entire match, and if you get lucky, you'll get to see it through a few shades of green"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

doesn't the red dot sight model have controls for night vision on it already?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Party Plane Jones posted:

What this game really needs is a 'ping' option for duo/squad like R6: Siege so you can show your friends what you're looking at/targeting.

You've got compass bearings for a reason, mister. :colbert:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The bearings only work relative to your own position, so it's tricky with a teammate if the two of you aren't in the same location and is even less useful with a squad of four. I agree that it would be nice to not have to bring up the map in order to mark a point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What this game really needs is a 'ping' option for duo/squad like R6: Siege so you can show your friends what you're looking at/targeting.

I guess you could use the map pins, but those are just as effective as calling out headings.

A ping would be great for Pug groups

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

You've got compass bearings for a reason, mister. :colbert:

Yeah but that's off your coordinates and half the time we have people in a squad die because they were stupidly 3 blocks over.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I'd love the ability to place a marker by looking at the environment. I don't want tagging of people, just a way of easily saying "look at this house/hill" non-verbally.

e: and regarding night, I originally thought it'd be cool but yeah I can see the argument against it. I'd rather see them mess with randomizing time of day combined with various weather effects. A foggy morning with long shadows might be really interesting and play completely differently than sunny mid-day.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Although shouting at your teammates "NO, NOT THE BLUE HOUSE THE LITTLE YELLOW ONE WITH THE PRETTY WINDO-welp I'm dead" is pretty drat entertaining

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

can i get a "mute all plane noise" option please

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Efexeye posted:

can i get a "mute all plane noise" option please

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSHVooommmmmmmmmmmmmm

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

Although shouting at your teammates "NO, NOT THE BLUE HOUSE THE LITTLE YELLOW ONE WITH THE PRETTY WINDO-welp I'm dead" is pretty drat entertaining

Similarly to Arma there really needs to be a running coordinate GPS system so you can clearly say which grid you're in. The GPS unit was essential to good DayZ coordination. Granted being able to set team markers negates a lot of the need for this but still.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

*calmly smoking a bowl before the brutal deathmatch*
*look away to the other monitor to read the best thread on SA*
START MATCH PLANE PROP NOISE
*exhales in a startled matter through the bowl, blowing ash and half smoked weed all over expensive electronics*
"gently caress, I CANT BELIEVE IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!"

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/BobRossEsports/status/856779360849637377

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
imo the fields of gatka should be a giant man high cornfield. That alone would really help with the scarcity of cover

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
The desynchronization​ between server and client seems to be getting worse. Last night in two games I would adjust my positioning because I was getting shot while behind cover.
I thought someone was behind me even though I knew that was impossible. But the delay was like 2 seconds after I was safely behind cover from the aggressor. So my brain immediately went into "being flanked" mode.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I'd love the ability to place a marker by looking at the environment. I don't want tagging of people, just a way of easily saying "look at this house/hill" non-verbally.

Both for and against it, so maybe this is the function that comes with binoculars.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Gay Horney posted:

imo the fields of gatka should be a giant man high cornfield. That alone would really help with the scarcity of cover

It won't help as long as this is still a problem in game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7RYd7W5Ocg&t=37s

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Knifegrab posted:

It won't help as long as this is still a problem in game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7RYd7W5Ocg&t=37s

It helps when the fight is closer then that. Late circles rarely have the range for this to be an issue.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Fishbus posted:

Both for and against it, so maybe this is the function that comes with binoculars.

Oh that'd be interesting, tying it to equipment pickup.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

WirelessPillow posted:

It helps when the fight is closer then that. Late circles rarely have the range for this to be an issue.

Yeah true. I am getting really sick of being taken out by snipers though in the mid game when I should be well concealed.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Yeah but that's off your coordinates and half the time we have people in a squad die because they were stupidly 3 blocks over.

Found your problem.

I get that a 3D marker would be easier, but that takes away from the teamwork aspect IMO. A big part of what makes this sort of game good is how much teamwork it takes to be consistently successful.

You've already got the ability to mark the map (and to make it appear on other's compasses), I think that's enough tbh.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The games from the evening of my squads firat chicken dinner just went up on youtube yesterday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tyNmCtPdE&feature=youtu.be

Some good fun in there.

Everyone in the squad except from me has separate wins, including the guy who chucked up the video.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
How do the teams work in this game? If I play solo am I going to be going up against teams of five or six players? Is there like a solo player mode and a team mode or something?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
There are solo, duo, and 4-man squad modes.

If you play solo all other players should be solo as well. (Unless they're filthy cheaters and all queue together, but that shouldn't really happen.)

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

uXs posted:

There are solo, duo, and 4-man squad modes.

If you play solo all other players should be solo as well. (Unless they're filthy cheaters and all queue together, but that shouldn't really happen.)

Awesome, I think I'm gonna get it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

tehinternet posted:

Found your problem.

I get that a 3D marker would be easier, but that takes away from the teamwork aspect IMO. A big part of what makes this sort of game good is how much teamwork it takes to be consistently successful.

You've already got the ability to mark the map (and to make it appear on other's compasses), I think that's enough tbh.

In Arma 3 BR, when Squad mode was introduced, they let you see your teammates on the map and with the direction they were facing but they wouldn't even give you markers over your teammates outside of the map/GPS. Ultimately, I think they are against letting you give your teammates on screen recognition of markers, because it would just be too strong. All of the pro MLG 360 no scope headshotters would really clean up with a feature like that. Part of the fun and challenge of teamwork in this has always been having to describe where an enemy is in a clear concise manner in a short amount of time. So I guess what I'm saying is goons will just have to use their words.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Efexeye posted:

*calmly smoking a bowl before the brutal deathmatch*
*look away to the other monitor to read the best thread on SA*
START MATCH PLANE PROP NOISE
*exhales in a startled matter through the bowl, blowing ash and half smoked weed all over expensive electronics*
"gently caress, I CANT BELIEVE IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!"

I got too high while playing the other day and was violently shaking with stress. It was awesome!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So apparently molotov cocktails that have been equipped as your active throwable can be shot and ignited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3VEV4uPHQ&t=115s

Amazing.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Ctrl+T to mute voice chat
Add this to the OP.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ended up refunding the game because being killed by someone really far away without the ability to retaliate or easily hide is pretty unfun. Yeah every FPS game has that, but not being able to respawn sorta ruins it for me. That and my longest lives are usually me hiding most of the time, which isn't terribly fun either.

I haven't sworn off the game entirely though. I still love the premise immensely.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

have you considered going guns blazing and rushing more

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Ha the pan blocks arrows. Also good to know that a superman punch does more damage than a normal one.

the other thing that helps in melee is aiming up above your targets head.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

So apparently molotov cocktails that have been equipped as your active throwable can be shot and ignited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3VEV4uPHQ&t=115s

Amazing.

I think he primed it and switched weapons, leaving it to explode in his pocket.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Upgrade and performance report: The game already ran much better by using the -lowmemory launch command so the problem did seem to be RAM. Now after installing the extra 8 gigs I can say the difference is like night and day.

Before I often couldn't load the game before the plane had already tossed me out automatically and most of the time even when I landed my buildings were all lovely and wouldn't load in full. Now I load much faster, sometimes even before the match start countdown begins, and my buildings are perfectly fine too. I've been monitoring the thing and I can see the game happily eating up 9.5 gigs of ram on a mixture of low and high settings so it does pretty drat hungry when it comes to that.

Now, I also happened to check my HDD performance before and after a defrag + RAM upgrade so I know it should the RAM doing the brunt of it. It's also clear my HDD might not be as sprightly as it once was judging by those dips in transfer speed but every health check comes out fine so I guess that's just the result of use.

All in all if anyone is having issues with the game and can't quite splurge on an SSD or lives in a garbage country in which SSDs are still super expensive (like me) I would recommend trying to get more RAM first and then look into other options.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Re: communicating, I off-and-on will watch Dslyecxi's youtube because sometimes the chaotic nature of those engagements makes for something a bit compelling to watch. Anyway, that group is well practiced in communicating in squad combat (well, milsim gamer baby squad combat, but still). It's something like when you see an enemy the first thing you should do is evaluate how immediate of a threat they are. If they're about to light you or your teammates up, probably best to just fire immediately if you have an effective shot. Otherwise, the most important thing is to notify your team of where they are so that you can all get in good positions and blah blah blah.

I think the order of info to give is:

1) direction (only use front/left/right if you are all moving in the same direction, try to prefer compass directions)
2) distance from you
3) size (though in this game it's less of a thing because it's easy to assume if you see one there could be up to 2/4 together)
4) description ie. anything else to help everyone get an exact location, "he's behind a tree midway up the hill" etc.

The basic idea is, if you're potentially about to get spotted / into a firefight at any moment, communicating those pieces of info in that order maximizes everyone's ability to do useful things before the poo poo hits the fan. If you are lucky enough that everyone is in a good spot and sees the enemies, you can then decide from there to shoot them up, wait for a better moment, change course, hunker down, etc.

Fake edit: after typing that all up I think i found the video that went over these things the most. Pretty sure it comes from actual military tactics but it's definitely effective to just take away the important bits of how to get info out quickly to the rest of your team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuvRufDvu0E

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

wa27 posted:

I think he primed it and switched weapons, leaving it to explode in his pocket.

Oh weird. That's also pretty hilarious.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yodzilla posted:

Oh weird. That's also pretty hilarious.

I think what actually happens is that instead of it exploding in your pocket, when you prime a grenade and then switch weapons it just drops it underneath you. So, yeah, p funny and also funny that his video is all like "This bug needs to be fixed!" when its just like, once you light that molotov on fire you better throw it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Det_no posted:

Now, I also happened to check my HDD performance before and after a defrag + RAM upgrade so I know it should the RAM doing the brunt of it. It's also clear my HDD might not be as sprightly as it once was judging by those dips in transfer speed but every health check comes out fine so I guess that's just the result of use.

FYI that transfer speed test is measuring the raw performance of the drive without going through the file system so defragging makes no difference to it. Also HDDs have random dips in transfer speed like that even when brand new, so basically your drive is totally fine and still 100% as sprightly as a HDD can possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

:hai:

• Locked thread