Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

this is what tvtropes does to your brain

I've been there exactly twice and only because people sent me links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps the tvtropes was inside you all along.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after proudly touting a dislike of shinkai, i dunno what sense people are expecting to extract from this opinion on seiji kishi (whom hating is already sort of a meme)

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
EDIT: nevermind, I'm an idiot. Somehow L and W combined to make V for me.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 25, 2017

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i may have missed the LN thread or it's dead/never existed
WN thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793167

The previous web novel thread was titled 'web/light novel thread' but I guess people didn't talk sufficiently about LNs in it to keep it for the new one.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

this is what tvtropes does to your brain

Death to tropers

dogsicle posted:

i may have missed the LN thread or it's dead/never existed
WN thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793167

It's the one thread for both things.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tamba posted:

Whoever designed those fortifications was either a very bad architect or a very good salesman

What is this from and is it any good? I am a sucker for fantasy anime, good or bad.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

after proudly touting a dislike of shinkai, i dunno what sense people are expecting to extract from this opinion on seiji kishi (whom hating is already sort of a meme)

Idk what the memers think but I hate him because he's responsible for a couple of my favorite shows but most of the time is totally incompetent despite getting promising projects. So I know that he can do really good work, but he just continually disappoints me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how is he totally incompetent? please look up what a director actually does and then say what was wrong with those things in the shows he's been involved in that you don't like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What is this from and is it any good? I am a sucker for fantasy anime, good or bad.

Grimoire of Zero. It's pretty solidly OK, with the main distinguishing feature being that its protagonist is Tony the Tiger's dark fantasy cousin.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

how is he totally incompetent? please look up what a director actually does and then say what was wrong with those things in the shows he's been involved in that you don't like.

I have tried and hated just about every other show he's made. And it's not because of bad animation or writing or something. It's usually his directing of the show that sucks. Hamatora is the most egregious example, but I had issues with DanganRonpa (first season and recent ones, both of which I went into not realizing it was him) and Assassination Classroom.

And then he makes something like Tsuki Ga Kirei which has nearly flawless direction so far.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Having not read the manga the Assassination Classroom anime was very good. I don't know if it changes stuff and that makes it worse but I don't know what's wrong with it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

seto no hanoyome is real good

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Darth Walrus posted:

Castle walls atop cliffs were actually a pretty common thing, and you can see a lot of them in a Google image search. Cliffs are huge blind spots that may be a little more climbable than you might hope, so a dozen or so metres of smooth stone topped with murder-holes at the top are a pretty sensible safety precaution.

That said, I have no goddamned idea what's up with that random wall pointing directly into the town.

Probably old walls from when the town was smaller which were partially demolished as it expanded.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If anything the most unrealistic thing is that there's open space inside the walls and it hasn't been cleared for housing/farming.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Actually it looks like there's no farmland at all...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

C.M. Kruger posted:

If anything the most unrealistic thing is that there's open space inside the walls and it hasn't been cleared for housing/farming.

Or outside the walls. How does anyone feed themselves? Importing is expensive

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Magic? Maybe it's a really plentiful river?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's not a bad idea to have some sources of fresh wood if you need to make repairs/catapults during a siege.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Actually it looks like there's no farmland at all...

I'd think that those open green spaces outside the walls would be the farmland

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i heard this thread is where i can get fortification advice? please critique my defenses

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

i heard this thread is where i can get fortification advice? please critique my defenses

gates have more hp than walls, so you should only use them when possible

as a nice bonus, it's more efficient for movement

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

gates have more hp than walls, so you should only use them when possible

as a nice bonus, it's more efficient for movement

It is less aesthetically pleasing, though.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

you fool, they can just swim under the wall now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

They're poo poo mate

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how the heck does no game no life get a movie.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kater posted:

It's good OP

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
You should probably not use bundles of logs to support stone arches with metal portcullises, OP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kater posted:

For the same reason its OP has 26 million views on Youtube. I don't know.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Grimoire of Zero seems like a cool adaption. I tried some of the LN translations and manga as a preview and it's nice to see how they changed stuff here—lots of exposition moments being reframed around action as opposed to just sitting and talking. it's a good sign for an anime.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Davincie posted:

seto no hanoyome is real good

It's​ probably one of the funniest things I've ever watched. Some episodes had me laughing so hard that my ribs hurt after.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Out of all the things they could've done with a Frame Arms Girls anime, I'm really glad they went with "anime Gremlins"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

kater posted:

quote:

I realize this is a silly point to bring up, but I'm confused when looking at the 'profiles' for the main characters. Sora, Age 18, Communication Disorder, NEET, Game-Addict, Virgin. Virgin? Really? Why is that a)listed and b)listed as an implied negative trait? I mean, he's 18 for god's sake, which is barely above legal age. No duh he's probably a virgin; in fact I'd be more worried if he wasn't. Does every show in the world need to carry out this tired trope of making virgin the ultimate insult, along with other worn-out cliche insults like girls not having a big chest? If they're going to make this trait so important that it has to be listed, why single out Sora? Why not list it for Shiro then? (don't answer this, I know perfectly well why they don't list it) Anyway, pointless rant over.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hes right

e; about no game no life being bad, not about the weird rant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

high 5 fellow incel

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just got back from watching "Your Name."
It was very good, and Shinkai really did make a decent departure from his usual form, though it was still very recognizable. You can definitely find elements/imagery from all his previous works in it too.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

paragon1 posted:

It's​ probably one of the funniest things I've ever watched. Some episodes had me laughing so hard that my ribs hurt after.

Last Amazoness!

Anyway, FAGirls does some interesting stuff that I haven't noticed before with the depth of focus of the imaginary camera.

In this latest episode, for example, they set it so the new character's face was in focus while her arms and kunai were not. It makes for an interesting effect.

Am I crazy, or is this actually a rare effect?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
SukaSuka keeps on trucking and more of the MC's past is revealed. It seems he's both mysterious mentor and love interest, all in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've just learned that 1) There's gonna be a Blame! movie that 2) is being produced by Netflix and 3) looks more like a cyberpunk action thriller, which is disappointing.

But man has Netflix been trying to make some waves over there in Asia. Between this and the Bong Joon Ho movie they're producing, and probably other productions I'm unaware of, they're really trying.

• Locked thread