Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Btw, is there a flag template one can use to create potential choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Snipee posted:

Also, can someone explain to me exactly how the Holy Roman Empire works in EU4? How likely are we to see a civil war tear them apart?

The HRE is completely decentralized in EU4. The "vassals" aren't called in to the emperor's wars, though the emperor is called into defensive wars against members of the empire. You can progress through a series of reforms to recentralize it as a unified state.

Samovar posted:

Btw, is there a flag template one can use to create potential choices?

A 128x128 .tga is what's used, if that's what you mean.

(This is a .png because imgur wont let you upload a .tga)

Zakrelo fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 25, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Lots of good ideas. So far, I've added a decision for Armenia to form a caliphate tag if they manage to conquer Nicaea, Nicaea gets to reform Byzantium if they capture Constantinople and all the Greek capitals, Greek minors can form Greece by capturing all Greek capitals, Rum has cores on Nicaea, Provence and other Occitan culture nations get a decision to reform the Occitan Empire, Filastin has a decision to form Egypt if they manage to conquer the rest of Crusader Egypt, Ghazi get a mission to push into India. Also I like the idea of Asturias, so I'll probably add an event for Leon, Galicia and Portugal to unite into Asturias if other Christian states fall and they're under threat.

Here are a couple shots of the map so far:

Celtic Empire starts with Brittany as a junior personal union, the same between Bavaria and Bohemia and a couple others. I've split the Qadirids into Mecca and Medina, because the Hejaz was solidly split between Sunni and Shiism (both the land and its rulers), and I also added Ifat as a possible threat to Abyssinia, because a Muslim dynasty existed in the Horn of Africa until very late in CK2 and Abyssinia are by the far the most powerful nation in the region. There are still a few countries that need to be added, provinces need to be swapped around a bit, but almost done with the Old World.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 25, 2017

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Is our flag seriously going to be a field of lemon-yellow?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Danny Glands posted:

Is our flag seriously going to be a field of lemon-yellow?

This is the flag that vanilla EU4 has for Andalusia, not sure how they came up with it, but decent-looking:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This is the flag that vanilla EU4 has for Andalusia, not sure how they came up with it, but decent-looking:

When Andalusia colonizes America, this is what the design of the leading fast food chain's cup will look like in 550 years.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yeah, I'm using the vanilla Andalusia flag. It's nothing amazing, but I'm poo poo at making flags, so I'm using it unless someone comes up with something better.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No really, you should totally make Kingdom of the Isles into Jerusalem. Maybe even give them a mission that gives them a go at it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

So did the Timurids just not show up in this game?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah... that was my fault. I wanted the to shake up Central Asia and India in the lategame, because they seemed really static throughout the LP, so I modded him into a militant Buddhist who'd make a beeline straight for India, but I evidently didn't test it enough and it bugged out :(

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I'll loudly protest (not really) the fact that Karelia seems to no longer be independent from the Russian yolk! Finland needs to stretch from the White Sea to the Baltic Sea, dangit!

Also I think just like Filastin can form Egypt, Crusader Egypt should get a decision to form Jerusalem if they can get hold of the relevant provinces.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hashim posted:

Yeah... that was my fault. I wanted the to shake up Central Asia and India in the lategame, because they seemed really static throughout the LP, so I modded him into a militant Buddhist who'd make a beeline straight for India, but I evidently didn't test it enough and it bugged out :(

The Timurids have really exact prerequisites to appear in vanilla either way, so they rarely appear the farther you are from their actual appearance.

It's something like "one specific providence in Afghanistan has to be Sunni" or the whole thing fails to happen.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Have there been any large-scale culture changes in Europe or elsewhere by the time that CK2 ended? For example, is Egypt still Arabic or have some of the provinces changed to whatever culture the crusaders are?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

RZApublican posted:

Have there been any large-scale culture changes in Europe or elsewhere by the time that CK2 ended? For example, is Egypt still Arabic or have some of the provinces changed to whatever culture the crusaders are?

Polish is present in a lot of Brandenburg, German cultures have been shaken around a bit, Occitan is much more widespread in the south of France, Andalusi is present in almost all of Al Andalus, Siculo-Arabic is dominant in Sicily, Sahidic (Crusader culture) is present along the Egyptian coast, and Anatolia is a mess of Greek, Armenian and Levantine cultures. There's more, but those are the ones I can remember.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hashim posted:

Sahidic (Crusader culture) is present along the Egyptian coast

More like Bohairic. :agesilaus:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hashim posted:

Polish is present in a lot of Brandenburg, German cultures have been shaken around a bit, Occitan is much more widespread in the south of France, Andalusi is present in almost all of Al Andalus, Siculo-Arabic is dominant in Sicily, Sahidic (Crusader culture) is present along the Egyptian coast, and Anatolia is a mess of Greek, Armenian and Levantine cultures. There's more, but those are the ones I can remember.

Anatolia sounds awesome, and it'll be interesting to see if the crusader culture spreads at all in EU4. Are you going to make the save/mod used at the beginning of the EU4 game available after it's over (or before, depending on how many events there are to be spoiled)?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm calling now that Crusader Egypt goes on a rampage around the Middle East. Filastin got nerfed hard in the transition from CK2 to EU4. You should give the Fatimids missions to consolidate the Mediterranean coast and to conquer Iraq and Arabia. If they do that, they should get a mission to reconquer Egypt and (if they conquer Iraq, Arabia, and Egypt) they should get an event or decision that pushes them to the empire level govt type and gives them a semi-unique Caliphate government.

There should be events for new cultures emerging in Anatolia from all the mixing going on there. Maybe set it up so that countries there eventually get an event to either embrace the new culture in their lands or stick to the old ways? That'd be cool.

I'm curious how much development Iran and Iraq will get. If you look at some of the historical suggestions of how hosed Iran and Iraq were by the Mongols, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some of the best provinces in the world at game start. Baghdad, at the very least, should be the best province in the game at the start of the game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

Considering how poorly the Christian powers have fared this game (in large part thanks to us),

...What?

Egypt is held by Christians. Anatolia is almost completely held by Christians. Tatar Muslims hold far less of Russia/Ukraine.

A few embarrassing sacks of Rome are what they are, but Christianity fared very well here. The loss of Sicily and half of Spain is more than made up for by Egypt(!!!!!!!!!!!!). Egypt is key.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patter Song posted:

...What?

Egypt is held by Christians. Anatolia is almost completely held by Christians. Tatar Muslims hold far less of Russia/Ukraine.

A few embarrassing sacks of Rome are what they are, but Christianity fared very well here. The loss of Sicily and half of Spain is more than made up for by Egypt(!!!!!!!!!!!!). Egypt is key.

I agree, but Egypt isn't worth that much in EU4, it lost power in a manner similar to the Levant and is surrounded by a lot of hostile powers, so it will either win big at the start or be crushed by an alliance early on. I'd say Anatolia is a much bigger loss for the Muslim world, and the greater level of schism all over will probably lead to either a violent consolidation or persistent fragmentation in the Middle East itself, Iran and Nicaea seems to be the states best positioned to take advantage of the situation. Mostly Islam won in the western Mediterranean and lost in the east.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Are the provinces developed like vanilla? Or did the ck2 conversion affect it?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
For Hashim: what does "Italy" get claims on?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The Timurids have really exact prerequisites to appear in vanilla either way, so they rarely appear the farther you are from their actual appearance.

It's something like "one specific providence in Afghanistan has to be Sunni" or the whole thing fails to happen.

IIRC Timur spawns as a courtier in a random Mongol court, where he hangs out for a decade or so before he spawns a few event troops and attacks his former liege. He only gets his doomstacks if he succeeds in that first fight, and I think that's when the Iron Khan event pops up for everyone else.

So yeah, there's a lot that can go wrong. Seljuk's event chain is pretty similar, but he's usually attacking a weaker target for his first battle so he's more likely to be a threat.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Haven't ever made a flag before but I wanted to start, so I tried making a more Carolingian looking flag for Genoa. Not sure if any of these are necessarily better than just the regular red cross.

I'd seen this symbol around the internet to represent the ancient Kingdom of Pontus in northern Anatolia. Figured it would work as a symbol for Rum, as its Greek related but not christian and Rum is stuck in that area. Plus it's similar to the turkish eagle, which is a nice parallel to the real life Rum.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Patter Song posted:

For Hashim: what does "Italy" get claims on?

Nothing really. I was initially going to give them a few claims on surrounding provinces, but they're the strongest regional power and usually blob out and control the entire peninsula within 100 years, so I didn't see any point in making it even easier for them. If the rest of southern Italy comes under the control of Muslims, though, they'll probably get a mission to move against them.

Alikchi posted:

Are the provinces developed like vanilla? Or did the ck2 conversion affect it?

Development has been raised where it makes sense, like Baghdad, and lowered where it doesn't, like in Italy. I tried not to inflate or cut it down too much though, so Italy is still a very strong power.

RZApublican posted:

Anatolia sounds awesome, and it'll be interesting to see if the crusader culture spreads at all in EU4. Are you going to make the save/mod used at the beginning of the EU4 game available after it's over (or before, depending on how many events there are to be spoiled)?

I've already written a ton of events, and I'll be writing more as the LP progresses, so I'll probably release the scenario after the LP if people are interested in it.

Genoa definitely needed another flag, and these are pretty good, so I'll find some way to work them in.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 26, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Patter Song posted:

...What?

Mind you, Christians having control over Anatolia and Egypt means they control the end points of the land trade routes to the east, and in Egypt they have direct sea access to the Red Sea and Indian Ocean. Couple that with the Iberian states having much more pressing issues than in our time, and there might not be nearly the same impetus to find an alternative route to India.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
I did some wikipedia research to find a better flag for Armenia than the red lion from CK2+, if anyone here is an Armenian history buff then please correct me. The CK2+ flag/Coat of arms was used by the IRL Rubenid dynasty, similar to(descended from?) the lion used by the preceding Bagratuni dynasty. The current dynasty of Armenia in the game was the Vakhtangians last time it was shown, who IRL were contemporaries of the Bagratids. So using that of the Bagratids or their successors wouldn't work, as they have little relation to them. Looking at the historical flags of Armenia before then, they both have a similar theme (2 birds on purple flanking a star). Based on those flags as shown on wikipedia, I edited them down to size and shape for use in EU4. The first 4 were used by the dynasty that took Armenia to its greatest extent so there is some prestige to using it, and if you use one of the first 3 then the website the design is from just requires to be given credit as "PeopleOfAr' if you end up putting the mod up for download.

Anyways, that's an awful lot of words and pedantry for a fairly irrelevant nation but oh well.I also stumbled onto this slightly nationalistic map of ancient Armenia.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Zakrelo posted:

Anyways, that's an awful lot of words and pedantry for a fairly irrelevant nation but oh well.I also stumbled onto this slightly nationalistic map of ancient Armenia.

Steppe Wolfing will always be my favourite thing to come out of GS LPs.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Does Italy wanting control of the southern peninsula make all that much sense in this world? Even historically there were a lot of people the didn't consider Sicily/Naples to be Italian, that idea is probably a lot more prominent given the increased Arab influenced and that most of them are Muslim. I could see Italy being more interested in gobbling up the rest of the Italian states and then maybe going after the Balkans or doing some colonization.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Any Catholic power wanting control of that area makes sense, as it protects Rome.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Zakrelo posted:

Haha what the hell is that based on? It's giving me an idea for my next CK2 game though.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Haha what the hell is that based on? It's giving me an idea for my next CK2 game though.

Tigranes claimed the Shahanshah title, so maybe that?

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Tigranes claimed the Shahanshah title, so maybe that?

Yeah, it was based on this guy. I found it in the same article I got one of those flags from, so if you want their reasoning here it is. As far as I can tell, it's based on some logical leaps like the fact that he beat Parthia in a war means he had annexed the entire thing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Zakrelo posted:

Yeah, it was based on this guy. I found it in the same article I got one of those flags from, so if you want their reasoning here it is. As far as I can tell, it's based on some logical leaps like the fact that he beat Parthia in a war means he had annexed the entire thing.

I really want to see what the Greater USA looks like according to this guy's logic.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I really want to see what the Greater USA looks like according to this guy's logic.

I, for one, will not rest until the UN acknowledges Mexico, Germany, Italy, Japan, and all holdings of the British Empire as the lawful realm of the President of Presidents.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Reveilled posted:

Mind you, Christians having control over Anatolia and Egypt means they control the end points of the land trade routes to the east, and in Egypt they have direct sea access to the Red Sea and Indian Ocean. Couple that with the Iberian states having much more pressing issues than in our time, and there might not be nearly the same impetus to find an alternative route to India.

If Egypt manages to survive for any meaningful length of time, I kinda could see it sending colonies eastward.

At the same time, Al Andalus is in a prime position and has a fairly decent reason to go west. I also guess the Celtic Empire and North Sea Kingdom could be explorers, given the relative weakness of the Iberian Christian states. North Sea especially might look westward for a simple desire for resources.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 26, 2017

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Smoky Bandana posted:

Steppe Wolfing will always be my favourite thing to come out of GS LPs.

I give you Steppe Wolfing at it's finest

quote:

This map shows how various places around the world were once Korean. One theory explains for example that the English Essex county is actually a deformation of Ui-San itself a deformation of Woo-San, the name of an old Korean kingdom.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Old (Great) Essex

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Outstanding.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

So the conversion's pretty much done, all that's left is a couple missions and decisions, and fixing events. I'm also working on some votes for ROTW, and once that's done I can get back to the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Alright, so there's still some tuning to do, but the conversion of the CK2 map is pretty much done, so it's time to move on to some votes! I want to get it all done in one voting session, so there'll be five parts to this vote, each dealing with a specific region on the map. It's fairly straightforward - each part is made up of three choices, simply pick one and you're good to go!

1 – CHINA

A - The Middle Ages were not kind to the realms of East Asia. After several devastating wars between Mongol and Han, the Great Song gave way to a succession of shortlived, brutal states led by tyrants, splintering the Chinese heartland into a dozens of constantly-feuding realms.
China will be heavily balkanized.

B - The Mongol hordes never posed much of a threat to the Celestial Empire, far more dangerous were the militant Buddhist theocracies to the south, who’d been turned on a conquering path after being pushed out of India by the Hindu Rajas.
North China is united under the Chinese Emperor, much of South China is under the control of Animist kingdoms and Buddhist theocracies, with the area between the two comprised of small buffer states.

C - The Emperor can have no rest, not when hordes stand ready to storm across China, and certainly not when his empire is on the verge of destruction. First were the Jurchens, who were thrown back and temporarily defeated after a century-long struggle. Then came the Mongols, conquering vast tracts of North China before being expelled by a mighty uprising. There is only so much the Empire can take, however, and rumours of a warlord greater than even Genghis Khan are quickly spreading…

2 – JAPAN

A – Barbarian hordes are the scourge of all nations – and Japan is no different. Suffering constant raids and invasions from nomadic peoples across the sea, Japan is not only weakened and devastated, but her very heartland is under brutal occupation.
Parts of Japan will be controlled by foreign invaders.

B – After the bloody but successful Kenmu Restoration, the Empire of the Rising Sun is united, it is strong, and it is ambitious. Daimyos are notoriously fickle beasts, however, and the only way to sate their desires is to give them an enemy to fight…

C – Japan is under peril, a peril that threatens to tear its very society apart at the seams. With plague devastating the land, the Sons of Amaterasu long gone from this earth, samurai pillaging their way from one village to another, and the peasantry up in arms – who is going to unite Japan?

3 – SOUTHEAST ASIA

A – The large and varied realms of Indonesia, through sustained contact with traders from Mesopotamia, have come to be dominated by a particularly tolerant and carefree strain of Islam. Not only do the rulers of these realms allow their subjects to practice their traditional Animist beliefs, but some even openly drink alcohol and indulge in decadent pleasures, claiming that they are on a mission to grow closer to Allah!

B – Throughout the Middle Ages, the Buddhist and Jain peoples of India suffered great persecution at the hand of their Hindu overlords, which led to their mass emigration to foreign shores – our shores. Many are educated and bright, and their religions are peaceful, perhaps these newcomers could prove to be useful?

C – The East Indies were initially dominated by Buddhist kingdoms, before giving way to Islamic sultanates, who quickly grew to dominate the region. Over the past two centuries, however, the religious makeup of Indonesia has once again been shaken, as trade with the war-torn realms of Mesopotamia and India fade in favour of China. Contact between these two realms goes far beyond mere trade, however, as a string of Chinese explorers also bring the teachings of Confucius with them, a creed to which the elite seem to have taken to.

4 – WEST AFRICA

A – A terrible conflict divides the realms of Africa into two power blocks – the Muslim and the Pagan – a conflict that has already claimed the lives of countless men, women and children. To make matters worse, a figure claiming to be a prophet is gradually gaining traction all across West Africa, a development that can only add fuel to an already raging fire...

B – The large and powerful Ghana Empire was shortlived, but it had a far greater impact on West Africa than many imagined, opening contact between the isolated African kingdoms and the rest of the world. West Africa has come to be divided amongst a thousand petty realms, each incredibly developed and rich, with trade prospering between the many city-states. They are led by all manner of people – Muslims, heretics, pagans, and even Christians in some places.

C – West Africa has been carved between a few very large, powerful realms. The recipe for disaster, some might say, but these realms are actually closely allied with one another, preferring trade and friendship to war and hostility. As culture thrives and attention shifts to technological advancement and exploration, the famous Mansa Aboubakri returns from his legendary journey, spouting tales of an entire world waiting to be explored…

5 – AMERICAS

A – The Yucatan Peninsula was once a bitterly divided region, populated by thousands of Mayan city-states, fighting pointless wars for land and tribute that would only be lost a few years later. The arrival of the Nahua changed all of that, however, and the once-isolated city states were forced to unite into the Maya Confederation to counter the threat… Thus began the Iron Wars, an era of unending conflict and unprecedented death, but also one of great military progress and advancement…
Mesoamerican states will get events that spread specific institutions in their cities, once they’ve been spawned.

B – Mesoamerica is a land of war, a land of blood, a land of death. But it was not always so, not when the legendary conqueror Tlanextli had united all peoples of the earth under his rule. He was surrounded by fickle-hearted traitors, however, and his death resulted in the partition of his empire amongst his closest family members and highest-ranking generals.
Mesoamerican states will extend far beyond their vanilla boundaries.

C – The Nahua and Maya are on the retreat, forced to finally put aside their differences and face their common, and far greater, threat: a series of escalating raids by a ferocious seafaring people, who are in turn led by a fierce innovator and warlord.
Mesoamerican coasts will be plagued, and possibly conquered, by an aggressive seafaring people early in the game.

By the way, this doesn't necessarily mean the parts of the map I haven't included (like East Africa or North America) aren't going to be changed, I just haven't come up with any good ideas for them. If someone's got a decent suggestion though, I'll definitely consider altering it.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 27, 2017